Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171709 times)

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #520 on: March 6, 2020, 09:54:42 pm »
well said

what makes me shudder is even in early 90s i remember growing up thinking the n word was the proper term for a black person. I would openly use it like saying someone from Liverpool is scouse, thats what i thought it was supposed to be like, didnt realize how offensive it was

when i was about 9 i got in a lot of trouble with folks for calling a relative of mine the n word, i actually couldnt understand why people were going nuts at me, i genuinely thought it was ok

i think things have come a long way but more is needed, in 2020 there shouldnt be a need to still have to drive home anti racism as things like footballers walking off the pitch because of monkey chants should be in the long distant past. It never should have happened to begin with.
Where did you grow up? And at what age did you finally stop using the word?

I actually don't like the nickname 'Digger' because it is too close-sounding to the N word.
Never liked it. Yes, we may know the background. But to those who didn't, it sounded a bit off.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: March 8, 2020, 12:34:39 pm »

I actually don't like the nickname 'Digger' because it is too close-sounding to the N word.
Never liked it. Yes, we may know the background. But to those who didn't, it sounded a bit off.

I agree with the Digger observation. I never use the nickname and people should stop using it. It’s just too close to the N word in how it sounds.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: March 8, 2020, 12:39:52 pm »
well said

what makes me shudder is even in early 90s i remember growing up thinking the n word was the proper term for a black person. I would openly use it like saying someone from Liverpool is scouse, thats what i thought it was supposed to be like, didnt realize how offensive it was

when i was about 9 i got in a lot of trouble with folks for calling a relative of mine the n word, i actually couldnt understand why people were going nuts at me, i genuinely thought it was ok

i think things have come a long way but more is needed, in 2020 there shouldnt be a need to still have to drive home anti racism as things like footballers walking off the pitch because of monkey chants should be in the long distant past. It never should have happened to begin with.

Holy smokes you were still innocently using the N word in the 90s. Ummm that doesn’t sound normal to me as I think most UK households had wisened up a bit more in terms of political correctness by then. By the way I’m not judging you or your family, I’m just saying I’m not surprised you got a bit slaughtered at the time despite your tender years. End of the day as long as your heart is clean then all you can say is that shit happens. There are certainly a lot of people out there that may say the politically correct stuff but with their deeds show they are actually bigoted, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 12:42:49 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #523 on: March 9, 2020, 08:38:46 am »
Digger argued coherently, passionately and convincingly that it’s too restrictive to view the subject through the prism of professional sport, and (my word not his) actually counterproductive. Racism in sport, argued Barnes, is merely a reflection of racism in society, and that should be our focus.

I am new to the world of podcasts and I listened to it on my drive back yesterday. I loved what he had to say about this issue.

There were a couple of things that made me think about what his point was. Maybe someone here could explain?!?

1. He said that players of colour back in the 70s and 80s had to be exceptionally good to get to playing professional football. But now they are playing in the lower divisions.

2. When talking about racism in the inner cities, he said something like "By removing racism in football, you remove racism from only football." But he also said something about the society like "of which football is a part of".

I didnt quite understand what his rationale were behind these two statements.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #524 on: March 9, 2020, 08:45:19 am »

to answer both here I grew up in Dublin. i stopped at 9 when given out too for using it which was about 1992.

I would have a problem with the nickname digger but its after the character Digger Barnes in Dallas who had an uncanny ability to smell oil underground and knew where to dig. Dallas was absolutely huge in the 80s when Barnes came along so i associate it digger with that rather than what it rhymes with.

Holy smokes you were still innocently using the N word in the 90s. Ummm that doesn’t sound normal to me as I think most UK households had wisened up a bit more in terms of political correctness by then. By the way I’m not judging you or your family, I’m just saying I’m not surprised you got a bit slaughtered at the time despite your tender years. End of the day as long as your heart is clean then all you can say is that shit happens. There are certainly a lot of people out there that may say the politically correct stuff but with their deeds show they are actually bigoted, and vice versa.
no it isnt normal, i have a 2 year old son and he will be pulled up and told why its wrong should he make the same mistake. it was right that i got slaughtered as you put it but it was a lack of awareness rather than deliberate use but it never should have come to that.

it certainly isn't something i'm proud of even though it was a lack of education and awareness

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #525 on: March 9, 2020, 01:42:28 pm »
That's all very fair as a 9 year old in Ireland in 1992 I can't imagine you had much experience of people from different races/religions.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: March 10, 2020, 12:18:49 pm »
to answer both here I grew up in Dublin. i stopped at 9 when given out too for using it which was about 1992.

I would have a problem with the nickname digger but its after the character Digger Barnes in Dallas who had an uncanny ability to smell oil underground and knew where to dig. Dallas was absolutely huge in the 80s when Barnes came along so i associate it digger with that rather than what it rhymes with.
 no it isnt normal, i have a 2 year old son and he will be pulled up and told why its wrong should he make the same mistake. it was right that i got slaughtered as you put it but it was a lack of awareness rather than deliberate use but it never should have come to that.

it certainly isn't something i'm proud of even though it was a lack of education and awareness

Fair enough man. What else to say - we all make mistakes. Difference between you and many others is you are aware of them and choose to positively grow from them. Many could take a leaf out of your book in that sense

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2020, 02:24:58 pm »
Fair enough man. What else to say - we all make mistakes. Difference between you and many others is you are aware of them and choose to positively grow from them. Many could take a leaf out of your book in that sense
thanks, very nice of you  :wave

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #528 on: March 19, 2020, 04:06:17 pm »
I am new to the world of podcasts and I listened to it on my drive back yesterday. I loved what he had to say about this issue.

There were a couple of things that made me think about what his point was. Maybe someone here could explain?!?

1. He said that players of colour back in the 70s and 80s had to be exceptionally good to get to playing professional football. But now they are playing in the lower divisions.

My guess is that this is an indication of how opportunity for black players is greater now than it was then.  Essentially an average black player would struggle to get a game in the lower leagues in the 80's, in his view.

2. When talking about racism in the inner cities, he said something like "By removing racism in football, you remove racism from only football." But he also said something about the society like "of which football is a part of".

His overall point, is that football is like a window into what society thinks. Removing racism from football stadiums, is therefore only shutting the curtains so you can't see the problem.  So therefore attention should go to changing negative racial stereotypes, rather than just  banning football fans only

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: April 12, 2020, 07:32:35 pm »
On "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" on ITV in a bit.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #530 on: April 12, 2020, 08:36:42 pm »
On "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" on ITV in a bit.

Stitched up by the Manc audience when well placed!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2020, 02:13:40 pm »
Been having an absolute nightmare on Twitter the last couple of days. Someone should tell him to reign it in a bit as he isn't covering himself in glory.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2020, 02:44:09 pm »
Yeah, it’s pretty painful reading him argue the toss with every single person, regarding football/his coaching ability I hasten to add. Just turn the phone off.
AHA!

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »
I
Been having an absolute nightmare on Twitter the last couple of days. Someone should tell him to reign it in a bit as he isn't covering himself in glory.

I think he makes an interesting point about black managers, one I hadn't seriously considered

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2020, 08:46:36 pm »
I
I think he makes an interesting point about black managers, one I hadn't seriously considered

I haven't went through all the absolute nonsense he has come off with to find an interesting point he has made in fairness, so can't agree or disagree with that.
He is stating as a matter of fact that he was driven out of Celtic because he is black, and telling Celtic fans they wouldn't like Henrik Larsson if he was shit or played for Rangers as some fucked up way of backing up his point. It's bizarre. 
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2020, 10:54:04 pm »
I haven't went through all the absolute nonsense he has come off with to find an interesting point he has made in fairness, so can't agree or disagree with that.
He is stating as a matter of fact that he was driven out of Celtic because he is black, and telling Celtic fans they wouldn't like Henrik Larsson if he was shit or played for Rangers as some fucked up way of backing up his point. It's bizarre. 

Twitter is not great for these kind of discussions, as unconventional thoughts require some precise communications and some depth

This is probably the wrong thread to discuss these issues as well, we should probably use the discrimination thread..

He accepts he wasn't doing a a good job and him being sacked was reasonable, but that the same unconscious bias that hinders black managers from getting jobs in the first place, leads them to getting fired earlier than would be the case, when the going gets tough.  I think his point stands to reason, people don't see black people as managers, so they are essentially hired on probation. Due in part to the medium, he is being shouted down a bit by one liners.  He probably shouldn't use himself as a case study, as that can seem self serving.

The point about Larsson is Celtic fans saying we can't have any conscious or unconscious bias as we cheered for Larsson, Barnes is toying with that sentiment

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2020, 11:00:25 pm »
John Barnes offers an unusual insight

He was brought up in a predominantly Black Country, and was a member of a relatively affluent upper middle class family there.

His insight is not the typical insight of a black player/coach. 

But then maybe he’s just  the product of what happens when black people don’t grow up being an underclass?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: June 12, 2020, 01:04:13 am »

He was brought up in a predominantly Black Country, and was a member of a relatively affluent upper middle class family there.

But then maybe he’s just  the product of what happens when black people don’t grow up being an underclass?

the reactions to some of the things he’s come out with is a result of what happens when you put different groups of people into certain boxes and expect them to all think the same because they fit that group, when in reality your economic circumstances growing up are likely a bigger factor in how you see the world

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #538 on: June 12, 2020, 12:48:27 pm »
Barnes is not making an either coherent or convincing argument re his time at Celtic. Both Mowbray and Macari were sacked within twelve months. They were, like Barnes sacked based on their work at the club. The chief barometer of work is results. Barnes forgets gets that he got a job at Celtic without any previous management experience as Dalglish did at Liverpool or Gerrard at Rangers.
Listening to a Celtic podcast he is doing and he constantly interrupts the host. Very annoying.

The point is if a manager gets results whether black white pink they will succeed at a club. Barnes is talking nonsense. Only Chris Hughton has made a fist of being a top manager. It’s down to ability not ethnicity as to whether a manager does well. Basically Barnes is talking nonsense and it actually doesn’t help the cause of would be black managers for one to spout nonsense and not have the tolerance to listen.

Along with Kenny he is my favourite player in terms of pure natural ability. A genius

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: July 9, 2020, 05:37:17 pm »

This is similar to what Howard Gayle said about Barnes and how his upbringing differed from Gayle’s. Gayle talked about how he (Gayle) was brought up in Norris Green, predominately a white area and experienced racism every day.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline King Kennys Pumas

• Main Stander
« Reply #540 on: July 21, 2020, 06:20:35 pm »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #541 on: July 22, 2020, 06:44:14 pm »
Some info and videos on John Barnes...

Wikipedia Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barnes

Liverpool Wiki Page: https://liverpoolfc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Barnes

LFCHistory.net Page: https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/261

John Barnes twitter: https://twitter.com/officialbarnesy

Some Documentaries and Specials on John Barnes...

'The John Barnes Story | 1990' - 53 minute version:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YMY2L5lvva8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YMY2L5lvva8</a>

'The John Barnes Story' - 90 minute version:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BrXpSacdx4A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BrXpSacdx4A</a>

'Sports Life Stories: John Barnes' - 46 mins:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZC3DJOsWH10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZC3DJOsWH10</a>

'Barnes - Poetry in Motion' - 47 mins:-

www.dailymotion.com/video/x7cvz8n

'Liverpool Legend - John Barnes: part 1' - 10 mins; 100 PTSTK:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UOE3P2ryfg4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UOE3P2ryfg4</a>

'Liverpool Legend - John Barnes: part 2' - 10 mins:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OOILkVsEoEU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OOILkVsEoEU</a>

'Gary Neville's Soccerbox - John Barnes' - 26 minutes:-

www.bilibili.com/video/BV1t7411f7YJ

'Kate Garraway's Life Stories: John Barnes' - 45 minutes:-

www.bilibili.com/video/BV145411o75G?

'John Barnes - England's Greatest Goal?' (vs Brazil in the Maracana):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9SCyXGiJ-jc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9SCyXGiJ-jc</a>

'John Barnes vs Argentina WC 1986':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ogOPg_TatCs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ogOPg_TatCs</a>

'John Barnes goal vs Uruguay':-

https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/1131226904193843200

'John Barnes - all England Goals':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MtiXnpxGcEA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MtiXnpxGcEA</a>

'Best Goals for Watford':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bnl5UfCGdBY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bnl5UfCGdBY</a>

Some tribute style and goal videos on John Barnes....

'John Barnes Liverpool FC Goals Collection' - 54 mins:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P_fRFU1Ibbo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P_fRFU1Ibbo</a>

'John Barnes Liverpool FC Goals Collection' - 48 mins:-

https://ok.ru/video/346802555545 or www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p3u2u

'John Barnes - Goals, Assists & Skills - 1987-1997':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8b7euMoetmY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8b7euMoetmY</a>

'The Best of John Barnes':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XEJfzUSH4e4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XEJfzUSH4e4</a>

'John Barnes - Smooth Operator':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o0s4jEceICg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o0s4jEceICg</a>

'John Barnes (with music)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RmAo0uiarvA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RmAo0uiarvA</a>

'John Barnes – Liverpool Football Club 1987–1997':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KiAYWIaRaCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KiAYWIaRaCI</a>

'Collection of John Barnes’ Liverpool goals from some angles you may not have seen before':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EcH416tCoNQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EcH416tCoNQ</a>

'John Barnes - Liverpool legend' - 6 minute video:-

www.facebook.com/ansel.archibald/videos/10150114626283032

'Top Ten John Barnes Goals For Liverpool FC':-

www.facebook.com/lilysLFCretroStore/videos/1501398956795315

'Barnes' neck-breaking header vs Villa in 88 FA Cup run':-

https://twitter.com/Davolaar/status/1574113627321159680

'Barnes right foot goal vs Villa':-

https://twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/1565400652209131521

'Backheel by John Barnes setting up Houghton':-

https://twitter.com/sid_lambert/status/1506730604645265424

'A couple of goals by John Barnes vs QPR in 87/88':-

https://twitter.com/FootballInT80s/status/1051357469337931776

'Beautiful Barnes freekick vs Chelsea in 88':-

https://twitter.com/clemente_carl/status/1283388491603345410

'Barnes freekick goal vs Arsenal in '89':-

https://twitter.com/clemente_carl/status/1165190114340954112

'Goal of the Day: John Barnes v Tottenham':-

www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/10154836381872573

'Barnes overhead kick vs Blackburn in '94':-

https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/931220337039233025

'John Barnes, Digger [Goals & Skills]':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W9FzrfxjTfw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W9FzrfxjTfw</a>

Some 'youtube playlists' of matches for seasons with John Barnes at Liverpool...

1987/88 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsyssK3pgM_JJ6KV8-Hh_0b : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7EIZBPPa4BYCH8xI4HFhoTg

1988/89 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsncSLy5VT2AgT-ZFkp823V : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3KiSUH0twd8Sx0qlUSDLX540y0aVY1v

1989/90 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXtu2HDQnmvVtzaSAWBoQOSg : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7GfhbEERKgo_gKL-Jee9wgc

1990/91 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXtyE3eNT0e30-ajtuhKKxxc : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7GacXQVMHwyTV1woOGKQPsJ

1991/92 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsoYcHgmNlY5ospc6sJFnV8 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7ELTVoYvd8Nt-RfqDTquEds

1992/93 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXskoENZHlncPLNk9PkQLKZE : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7F6NQlh6pUMq2Tym-YBPJTI

1993/94 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsW5C4g7YnMWR6cyLT46SAP : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7Eo8exGy7DFTd6FXR1Hg2MB

1994/95 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi9KIrViypX65VWROWgsfFFBXwm2rKrEe : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi9KIrViypX65VWROWgsfFFBXwm2rKrEe

1995/96 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXtF2CkmeYB8YZzP7up2i5Jw : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7GpF3yNKNHA2Dibqj8QrISr

1996/97 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7GbhGkhEvGxR5KaUQIdrDsp : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXuw1PpcMkNYMBMqz1LUeEQX

Obligatory music career videos... ;D

'Liverpool FC - Anfield Rap (Full version)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kcy3gwwxat4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kcy3gwwxat4</a>

'New Order - World In Motion (Official Music Video)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Re4aDJL3heA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Re4aDJL3heA</a>

'John Barnes "Rappers Delight"':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JlI9jZ4XslU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JlI9jZ4XslU</a>

obligatory Isotonic Lucozade advert...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HSIGfALlk4M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HSIGfALlk4M</a>

and obligatory Mars bar advert...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ijHnkF3RLcM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ijHnkF3RLcM</a>

^ John Barnes with his 1988 FWA 'Footballer Of The Year' Award - https://footballwriters.co.uk/foty-archive/footballer-of-the-year-1988-90-john-barnes-liverpool (he won it again in 1990)

^ John Barnes with his 1988 'PFA Player of the Year' Award - https://twitter.com/footballmemorys/status/1314082644909608960

Some basic info and reading on John Barnes:-

John Barnes - A beauty to behold: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3765

Barnesy is back!: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1354

From wide boy to reluctant middleman: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1771

Pass master Barnes ushers in new dawn at Anfield: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1425

On Second Thoughts … John Barnes: www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/424

When Doubts Over Digger Were Blown Away At Anfield: www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/06/john-barnes-week-when-doubts-over-digger-where-blown-away-at-anfield

The Greatest Player I’ve Ever Seen At Liverpool: www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/06/john-barnes-week-the-greatest-player-ive-ever-seen-at-liverpool

Why John Barnes Is My Favourite Liverpool Player of All Time: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1575948-liverpool-legend-why-john-barnes-is-my-favourite-liverpool-player-of-all-time

How John Barnes became poetry in motion and one of Liverpool’s greatest: www.thisisanfield.com/2022/07/how-john-barnes-became-poetry-in-motion-and-one-of-liverpools-greatest

Barnes - Pioneer, genius, and stillunder-appreciated: https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/04/24/why-john-barnes-deserves-to-be-celebrated-far-and-wide

John Barnes: Big Hitters: www.theanfieldwrap.com/2022/02/podcast-john-barnes-big-hitters

A tribute to John Barnes, Liverpool’s magician who put a spell on Brazil: www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/john-barnes-liverpool-tribute-england-maracana-goal-brazil-anfield-qpr

The Man Behind The Legend: www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/06/john-barnes-week-man-behind-legend

Was John Barnes Just Too Good For England ?: https://football7080.com/2020/08/was-john-barnes-just-too-good-for-england

Forever A Legend at Watford and Liverpool: www.thesportsman.com/articles/john-barnes-forever-a-legend-at-watford-and-liverpool

'He changed me. He changed everything.': www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cz4z0xpw606o

Liverpool FC legend John Barnes to be celebrated in tribute: www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-legend-john-barnes-24950424

John Barnes on racism & society: www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/11/john-barnes-interview-on-racism-and-society-there-are-invisible-banana-skins

John Barnes appointed official ambassador of Liverpool FC (November 2022): www.liverpoolfc.com/news/john-barnes-appointed-official-ambassador-liverpool-fc

https://twitter.com/robertmarawa/status/1285983047792435200 - 'Chatting to @officialbarnesy LIVE from Anfield with that elusive trophy in the background!!!!' (2020)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video thread' content info for years gone by, recent times, Season Reviews, Cup Final victories - Domestic, European, and World...

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.0

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:26:56 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #542 on: July 22, 2020, 06:47:10 pm »
#Sausages

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: July 22, 2020, 06:50:26 pm »
What a guy

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #544 on: July 23, 2020, 01:45:28 am »
https://twitter.com/robertmarawa/status/1285983047792435200

Seeing Barnes look so happy more than compensates for the ugly blue ribbons still attached to that beautiful piece of silverware.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: July 23, 2020, 10:18:37 am »
Get those ribbons off that trophy

Glad they left them on. That way one of our staff got to cut them up, roll them into a ball and lash them the bin. I'd have dropped them first and stamped on then, before spitting on them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: July 23, 2020, 10:35:24 am »
has he trimmed down a bit? he didnt look as big last night

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: July 23, 2020, 02:43:25 pm »
has he trimmed down a bit? he didnt look as big last night

He needed to.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:17 am »
Absolute dogshit tonight. Embarrassing

[emoji16]
bollocks

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: April 21, 2021, 02:52:38 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56829809

Nail on head

John Barnes cuts through all the smoke and says it like it is.

Excellent summary on the Super League v Other Powerbrokers.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2021, 03:26:21 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56829809

Nail on head

John Barnes cuts through all the smoke and says it like it is.

Excellent summary on the Super League v Other Powerbrokers.
Yep. As usual, John nails it.

It's all about who is in the position to exploit the resource. Sky, the PL and UEFA are in that position at the moment and want to remain so.

I've said the same a number of times. The fans are just seen as an exploitable resource. The battle has been between those jockying for power so it's they who are doing the exploiting and extracting the wealth.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:13:59 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:56 am »
A true Liverpool legend who has not sold out.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #552 on: June 9, 2021, 09:52:57 am »
I'm prejudiced in that John Barnes is my favourite all time player but a friend has just sent me an impressively thought provoking and articulate article that's been published in today's Telegraph. I'm left thinking that there should be a role for JB in public life.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: June 9, 2021, 07:11:32 pm »
I'm prejudiced in that John Barnes is my favourite all time player but a friend has just sent me an impressively thought provoking and articulate article that's been published in today's Telegraph. I'm left thinking that there should be a role for JB in public life.

Amazing and eloquent man, I never saw him play live but he's still one of my favourite ever players.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: June 9, 2021, 07:22:18 pm »

I've been really, really impressed by everything I've ever heard him say. I'm too young to remember him in his pomp and initially didn't believe my Dad when he told me he used to be a flying winger but I'm really grateful I got to see him play before he retired. And I'd love to see him have a more prominent role in public life/ football/ whatever.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: June 10, 2021, 07:38:46 pm »
One thing I've never understood is why the media talk about John's rapping on the World in Motion track as being 'suspect' or 'poor' etc.
Firstly, he's not a rapper - he's a pro footy player.
And secondly, it wasn't bad at all.
How else is he supposed to rap those very simple lines?
Like Chuck D - aggressively?
Like Eminem - continuous flow?
Like someone reciting poetry?

Nothing wrong with his rapping.

Now, the 'rapping' of the other LFC players on the 'Anfield Rap' track - that's a different story haha

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: June 10, 2021, 10:00:53 pm »
One thing I've never understood is why the media talk about John's rapping on the World in Motion track as being 'suspect' or 'poor' etc.
Firstly, he's not a rapper - he's a pro footy player.
And secondly, it wasn't bad at all.
How else is he supposed to rap those very simple lines?
Like Chuck D - aggressively?
Like Eminem - continuous flow?
Like someone reciting poetry?

Nothing wrong with his rapping.

Now, the 'rapping' of the other LFC players on the 'Anfield Rap' track - that's a different story haha

I've never heard anyone disparage his rapping in World in Motion. Even non-Liverpool-supporting friends think highly of his bit in that song.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: June 10, 2021, 10:15:18 pm »
I've never heard anyone disparage his rapping in World in Motion. Even non-Liverpool-supporting friends think highly of his bit in that song.
I've never heard it either face to face.
I mentioned the media.
I was reminded cos I read it again on the BBC website just today.
You hear and read it in the media.

People on the street are sound.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #558 on: July 5, 2021, 11:08:56 am »
Said he wouldn't take the knee. Gone down in my estimation. Taking the knee is only part of anti-racism. His conservatism is sticking out a mile.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #559 on: July 5, 2021, 02:00:41 pm »
Said he wouldn't take the knee. Gone down in my estimation. Taking the knee is only part of anti-racism. His conservatism is sticking out a mile.
Whether you agree with him or not on that issue, you can bet he has a very rational and intelligent reason behind his opinion. And I think his general overall view on anti-racism is possibly more informed than yours (certainly is compared to mine) given his background and life experience. Moving from Jamaica and despite his success still had, like, actual bananas thrown at him on the pitch.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2021, 02:02:46 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg