Author Topic: The Boys Pen  (Read 21904 times)

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: The Boys Pen
« Reply #40 on: January 9, 2005, 11:26:09 pm »
actually I see it more of OGSWFITB.....................Older guys still with fire in their bellies......I dont like nostalgia.....but its difficult not to hark bark to more passionate times when things seem so insipid nowadays!

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 9, 2005, 11:30:15 pm »
Do a search... see above and type in OCB.

Some very funny threads  ;)

Tatty bye.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #42 on: January 9, 2005, 11:36:28 pm »
Some memories there that made me laugh, but guess the pen was  good training  for some of the shit we had to endure in the hooli 70's!

You had to make sure you had the right money at the turnstile (a tanner?) as anyone getting a load of change was followed by the Al Capone wannabes.

Used to long to climb over what seemed a 12ft spiked railing into the Kop but never made it.
Easy for you tall buggers Motty!

I had forgotton about the dads who pushed a nosebag through at H.T.an made us feel hungry.

The singing always seemed an octive higher in the pen,  wonder why?  ;) 
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2005, 12:03:59 am »
An article from our archive:

Memories of the Boys' Pen

Banished high in the top southeast corner of the Kop like a miniature Soviet Gulag, several hundred snotty-nosed urchins would cram together for each home game – extras from Oliver Twist – screaming, fighting, spitting and supporting the Mighty Reds from the Boys’ Pen. This was Anfield 1961.

Many had graduated from the three-quarter-time brigade. Those kids who would walk from the far corners of Liverpool, or bunk on the bus, to stand outside the ground for the entire match so we could slip in when the gates opened after 70 minutes to let fans out. We would swarm in and quickly disperse throughout the Kop trying to find a spec with a view. I still think of matches reaching three-quarter time even today.

We would then walk home with the crowds of grown ups skipping alongside the men with the scarves, flat caps and rattles, listening to the chat and pretending we had been there all the time. In our minds we had seen the entire first half and early second half action even though we had only heard the roars and the oohs and aahhs from outside the massive Cathedral that is Anfield.

We used to imagine the action as we waited for three-quarter time. The mental pictures were far superior to anything Sky could serve up and our analysis was a league apart from that offered by Andy Grey today. We would play out imaginary scenes outside the ground kicking punctured plastic footballs covered in dog dirt against the huge doors at the Kop end until they finally opened. My heart would rise and fall on the waves of sound coming from the ground. You could tell which half Liverpool were in, the amount of possession they had, whether they were going through a lull or attack-attack-attacking like a mighty red wave.

Sometimes the more daring would try to dart under the turnstile as an adult went through before the match but I never did – I was always afraid of getting caught. Those were the days when officials would thump you and if you complained to your dad he would thump you too for doing something that deserved a thumping! Three quarter time was my only way of seeing Liverpool as they rose from the old Second Division to the First Division – the wonderful First Division (that promotion was a wonderful experience) - in those glory days before the Premiership.

I can’t remember, but I think there was an age limit for the Boys’ Pen, unless you were accompanied. That must have been the case because, as an only child, I remember asking older lads to say I was their little brother and get me in. The trouble is, the kids who went on the Boys’ Pen were hard. You had to be a survivor even to queue up. You could not show fear. Fear would be pounced on. There were no away fans but the number of scraps before, during and after the match was scary. The Kop was warm and friendly – the Boys’ Pen was angry, aggressive and mean.

But I remember clearly my first experience on the Boys’ Pen. I remember the fear as I climbed smelly concrete stairs higher and higher and the exhilaration when I finally came round a grey/white/yellow concrete wall and looked down on Anfield. I don’t think I’d been as high in any man-made structure before in my life. I must have been 10 or 11.

I remember being hungry and thirsty. Breakfast and lunch didn’t exist on match days except for “give us a chip mate”. And we never dressed for the weather. There were lots of cold, wet, hungry, smelly kids on the Boys’ Pen.

And I remember when you got in and legged it up the stairs and looked out over Anfield that the ground was empty. The tradition in the Boys’ Pen was to get in early, try to get to the front and then, if you were hard enough, try to escape. All that effort to get in and all we wanted was to make an escape bid. The Kop was our freedom. The Boys’ Pen was a transit camp to heaven. It was a rite of passage for any Liverpool kid in the 60’s.

And so the regular pre-match entertainment got underway. As the Kop filled up the boys in the Pen got braver and braver. One by one kids would make a dash for freedom. Some would climb the railings to the point where they almost met the rafters. They would sway on the top risking broken limbs or being impaled on rusty metal – just because you had too.

Perhaps it was a testosterone thing, perhaps it was claiming hierarchy in some local gang, perhaps it was just survival, but it was risky, brave and awesome to watch. Other kids would create a diversion by staging a mock fight – or was it real – nearby. The police and stewards would race to the scene trying to prevent some kid getting his head kicked in and the bid for freedom would begin in earnest.

Once on the top of the railings the kid would balance. Sometimes an official would pull the child’s leg to stop him jumping – that always seemed the more dangerous option. The Kop would cheer and chant, a fireman’s blanket of fans would gather to catch the kid and it was all over in seconds. The urchin would leap, the Kop would catch, and the kid would fall to the ground and, like a rat up a sewer, would disappear from view in the blink of an eye. The Kop would let out a mighty roar, the Boys’ Pen would let out a mighty squeal and the next escapee would line up, as the next decoy scrap would begin.

I can’t really remember making a bid for freedom. I can remember trying but I also remember enjoying my time on the Boys’ Pen and singing so hard my chest, throat and head hurt. We thought we sounded great. Our job was to re-ignite the Kop when they had gone quite. I didn’t realise until I claimed my spec on the Kop the following season that we were producing an ear-splitting cacophony of screeching that was painful. The Kop only joined in to drown out the kids on the Boys’ Pen.

When I first took my lads to the family section at the back of the Kop I pointed out where the Boys’ Pen was. The youngest asked me to explain what it was. “Another day son, it doesn’t make sense these days”. It is a rite of passage that thankfully they will never have to go through.

© Homesick 2002

If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2005, 12:12:39 am »
John ..truth hurts pal!!!  ;D  two bob!!! ...jeez !!! man I could live like a king for two weeks then on that!!!.. a tanner for a bag of chips and left overs!  :)

Just tucking into some cheese n biscuits, got the vicar coming round ffor sherry tomorrow!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline nobody

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2005, 10:22:42 am »
Anyone any ideas when it was finally pulled down and what was it's last game, was it the Norwich game?

Been trying to find the answer for a Red on this thread.

I must admit always thought it was scraped after 1977 WHU championship game. Wasnt it at that point that the extra, square, barries placed in the Kop for safty reasons.

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2005, 10:36:52 am »
Crackin spec,the Pen was great value for money,but it lacked a bit of street cred,as you had to go on the kop with the "big boys" to have street cred!

The usual move was to pay to get in the Boys Pen and then swoop over the fence into the Kop itself.  ;)

"Boys Pen"?

All these bastards moaning about Camp X-Ray these days never stood in "The Pen"  ;D

No fucking Geneva Convention in there la, let me tell you!  It was safer in the Kop! :wave

All together now "Eh Lad, Giz yer scarf - and yer money. Got any giggies?" ;)

Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline Durango

• Can see into the future...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2005, 12:11:44 pm »
The usual move was to pay to get in the Boys Pen and then swoop over the fence into the Kop itself.  ;)

"Boys Pen"?

All these bastards moaning about Camp X-Ray these days never stood in "The Pen"  ;D

No fucking Geneva Convention in there la, let me tell you!  It was safer in the Kop! :wave

All together now "Eh Lad, Giz yer scarf - and yer money. Got any giggies?" ;)

You needed balls of steel to scale the Pen, as well as dodging the Bizzie who would patroled the Pen,it was easier getting out of "Colditz" than getting out of the Pen,only fools and hard cases made it into the Kop!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 06:10:27 pm by Durango »

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2005, 12:33:07 pm »
You needed balls of steel to scale the Pen, as well as dodging the Bizzie who who patroled the Pen,it was easier getting out of "Colditz" than getting out of the Pen,only fools and hard cases made it into the Kop!

I'm not hard but have been called a fool many times! ( Usually for following this lot since as far back as I can remember ) - but "escape from the Pen" could be accomplished - but only with the use of a diversion. Usually a fight or a mass scaling of the fence! One or two would get hauled down by the arse of their keks paving the way for others to drop into the Kop.

Young supporters these days would not even recognise the conditions we put up with back then as following football.

Good days though.  :wave
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2005, 12:53:16 pm »
still got a scar on my hand from climbing the fence at a west brom game in the 60's. 1-1 with gordon milne (i think) getting an equaliser
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2005, 01:22:57 pm »
Do a search... see above and type in OCB.

Some very funny threads  ;)

Tatty bye.

The O C B Thread
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,28675.0.html

Part two
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,40708.0.html

Only searched for the links to add to this, but they have been bumped up now in the boozer.

:wave

never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2005, 10:25:36 pm »
This thread has got me wondering if they had Boys Pens at other grounds. I know they had one at Goodison too but I started going to aways regularly in the 73/74 season, I can't remember seeing them anywhere else on our travels - Perhaps it was a Scouse thing?

Offline Durango

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2005, 10:48:23 pm »
This thread has got me wondering if they had Boys Pens at other grounds. I know they had one at Goodison too but I started going to aways regularly in the 73/74 season, I can't remember seeing them anywhere else on our travels - Perhaps it was a Scouse thing?

I once when in the Pen at Goodison,we got beat 0-1 l think Kendall or Ball, scored around the late 60's l dunno if I'm being biased but what l can remember are Pen at Anfield was better than the Blueshites!

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2005, 10:51:00 pm »
Elland road had a boys pen in the 70's. Tsear in me eye with you talking about 3/4 time. Me arl fella used to take me in on his shoulders in the early seventies-those 20 mins were like heaven to me,he used to tell me that I shook so much with excitement that he thought i'd fall off-always made me proud hearing that story.

Offline Durango

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2005, 10:52:57 pm »
Elland road had a boys pen in the 70's. Tsear in me eye with you talking about 3/4 time. Me arl fella used to take me in on his shoulders in the early seventies-those 20 mins were like heaven to me,he used to tell me that I shook so much with excitement that he thought i'd fall off-always made me proud hearing that story.
Yer can't buy History

Offline Durango

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2005, 11:01:50 pm »
Can we take this a stage further,does anyone remember when the Pen was on the other side of the Kop(Kemlyn Road side) personally l only remember the Pen being by the Main Stand,my elder cousin remembers when the Pen was on the Kemlyn side does anyone have any recollections of this?

Offline Badge Kisser

• Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2005, 12:57:26 am »
Elland road had a boys pen in the 70's. 

They did have a pen but I don't think it was a "boys pen". The Leeds pen was used to drop the sheep off before their owners went for a pint.

A little known historical fact about the Pen at Anfield was that if the secret police in East Germany were having trouble breaking down a particular group of dissidents they would bring them over to Anfield whenever we played Dynamo Dresden and place them in the Pen to watch the game. Unable to break them down by their own methods the Stasi knew a couple of hours alone with “the lads from the pen” would have the dissidents singing like a canaries on the trip home. 

The "copper" in the Pen was also linked to the East Germans. Didn't you ever wonder why he would stand by and ignore the numerous acts of brutality that took place under his nose every week?  In fact, he wasn't really a bizzy at all. He was a member of the Stasi paid to observe the advanced escape tactics of the young pennites and report them back to his paymasters in Berlin. He also doubled as head scout for Dynamo Dresden.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 07:20:15 am by Badge Kisser »

Roddysul

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2005, 10:19:42 am »
Remember being in the Main Stand for one game and my dad saying to me -  there's your uncle Peter over there.

Where?  I asked.

There in the boys pen.

It wasn't hard to spot him -  he was 3 foot taller and 2 decades older than everyone else in there -  fuck knows what he was doing in there but I bet he'd bunked in.  One of the funniest things I've seen at Anfield

Offline Roadender

• Main Stander
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
So did anyone find out in the end?
When did it finally go?
call it all a rouge, that's the way it's meant to be

Offline Homesick

• Main Stander
  • Dragged up in Bootle
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2005, 02:53:17 pm »
Can we take this a stage further,does anyone remember when the Pen was on the other side of the Kop(Kemlyn Road side) personally l only remember the Pen being by the Main Stand,my elder cousin remembers when the Pen was on the Kemlyn side does anyone have any recollections of this?

I can only remember the boys pen being in top right hand corner of the old Kop (as viewed from the pitch). I can't remember there being a pen in any other part of the ground. However, I only started going to matches in the early 60s, so it might have been in another area before my time.

Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it.

Offline Prozac

• Surprisingly depressing
  • Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2005, 04:24:47 pm »
The Kop's capacity was reduced by 3,000 in the summer of 1977 so whether this was the time when the Boys Pen ceased to exist ?
Although out of all the St Etienne stories over the years-I've never heard any from the Boys Pen

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2005, 08:09:45 pm »
I can only remember the boys pen being in top right hand corner of the old Kop (as viewed from the pitch). I can't remember there being a pen in any other part of the ground. However, I only started going to matches in the early 60s, so it might have been in another area before my time.

My arl fella use to talk about when the boys pen was at the front of the Kop(he never said which side though),but they moved it to the back of the Kop because the kids were always throwing stuff on the pitch,again I don't know when this was.
   It was mad when I used to go in there in the mid to late 60's,as someone said you had to hide your scarf and money ot they'd be robbed off you,didn't dare tell my arl fella about it either or he wouldn't have let me go again,as he wouldn't have paid 4 shilling to take me in the Kop with him!
    They used to sometimes put away fans in the Mian Stand next to the pen,who would then be showered with all kinds of stuff like oranges,apples,crisps and then the empty bags would be pissed in and then thrown over!What a nice place it was eh!

Offline ianrush79

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2005, 09:18:31 pm »
£80 sounds expensive for a kids st, i got my first adult st in 87 and it only cost me around £55 (can't quite remember but it was no more than £60)

my first season ticket was in 87/88 and im sure it was about £42 for a child
Phil Brown just off the phone. Stupid sod didn't know what 'Gardening Leave' meant. He's spent the past week planting fucking roses.

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
  • OH Jimmy, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmy Case
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2005, 09:21:21 pm »
Kop Season Ticket in 81 was £21.....hmmm not bad value if memory serves
Remember when it went up to 3 quid a game, thought id never go again--same at the chippie--went from 12 to 15 pence--greedy bastards

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2005, 09:38:48 pm »
It was on the Main Stand side, or if you have not been to Anfield, even i can't explain

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2005, 09:42:23 pm »
Remember when it went up to 3 quid a game, thought id never go again--same at the chippie--went from 12 to 15 pence--greedy bastards

That was the potatoe famine of 77 / 78, once the spud situation was sorted out they didn't reduce the price.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2005, 09:44:56 pm »
Robbie met Clinton at Boro

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Gerrardinho

• Main Stander
  • Wine for my men !! We ride at dawn
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2005, 10:00:03 pm »
my dad was in the pen vs ferencvaros and that was in 71 or 73 correct me if im wrong
Some may say im a dreamer but im not the only one

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
  • OH Jimmy, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmy Case
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2005, 10:01:20 pm »
That was the potatoe famine of 77 / 78, once the spud situation was sorted out they didn't reduce the price.

Yup, BS if you ask me --screwed us like they did in petrol

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2005, 10:15:54 pm »
Cheap as chips

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline _CarraMac_

• Main Stander
  • .......we're by far the greatest team
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2005, 11:13:59 pm »
l first stood on the Kop in 1977 and i'm sure the boys pen was there then............75p for adult standing if l remember correctly.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2005, 11:49:47 pm »
Escapes from the Pen into the Kop happened every week. A rarer treat was the occasional escape from the Anny Rd to the Kop. Don't know why people did it - because the Kop gates tended to shut before the Anny Rd?  To experience the Kop cheering them on for just once in their life? Simply for a dare? But the sight of some wee kid trying to cross 120 yards of open space before the coppers cut him off was some of the best pre-match entertainment I've ever seen. 

Mention's been made of Pennites getting into the rafters too. I remember one of them being hit by an Emlyn Hughes shot in the '75-76 season (not all of Emlyn's screamers hit the back of the net). The lad had clambered along the rafters right to the front of the roof and when Emlyn hit him he sort of wavered and wobbled. For a second or two it looked a close thing. Luckily for him (and the people below) he managed to hang on, and then gave everyone a thumbs up. I don't think any of the players realised what had happened.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2005, 01:08:17 am »
First time poster here, don't seem to find the time, but this thread got me nostalgic.
First game from the pen was against Accrington Stanley 55/56, 1-1 tie, miserable game. I was 7 years old. I think my old man was trying to see me off, putting me in there with that lot. Does anyone remember being in there around Bonfire Night? Bangers flying everwhere and if you were stupid enough to wear a duffle coat they'd stick one in your hood, or in your pockets if you didn't have your hands in them. There'd be fights every other game. But 9d for a first team match, 6d for the reserves, who's complaining?
I thought I was the only kid who ever got his scarf whipped off his neck, but I see here I was in good company.
Most memorable game viewed from that maelstrom was the replay against Man City, when Liddle scored 5/7ths of a second after the final whistle. Broke my heart.
Great to hear from all you other old farts on here. Let's keep talking. :)
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline biddy

• Main Stander
  • We are Evil,We are Evil
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2005, 12:55:32 am »
i was a pennite for a number of years in the mid 70`s
 as well as climbing the fence i and a couple of others would be able to squeeze through the gap in the fence (someone had widened it) the copper would walk up and down the fence and when he had his back to us  we would get the nod and go over or through now i realise he knew what was going on but stopping us was just a token gesture.does anybody remember singing "The Boys Pen"
i do
and yes it was a jungle in there

Offline lfcfrom1970

• Boys Pen
the boys pen
« Reply #74 on: October 3, 2005, 02:47:21 pm »
what was the last game played at Anfield with the Boys Pen open???

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #75 on: October 3, 2005, 11:32:00 pm »
I'm sitting here pissing myself laughing, I went in the boys pen and over the fence most weeks and never had my scarf taken.  Either I was lucky or maybe just scary  :o
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #76 on: October 4, 2005, 09:28:04 am »
Read about the Pen in Alan Edges book FOOF, glad I missed it after reading it.

Only fond memory of the Pen used to be the high pitched shrill of them trying to start the kop off.
From where I sat on a bar in the kop, it looked like the monkey house in a zoo.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #77 on: October 4, 2005, 11:42:20 am »
You couldn't really see them from spec on the Kop, but occasionally when my Dad came he got us tickets in the Main Stand - restricted view, right in the corner, anyone else been there? Anyway, you could look down on the boys pen from there and it was scary. Looked like something out of Dickens. Bloody inhuman if you ask me, like a caged pack of screaming banshees.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline JSu7777

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: October 4, 2005, 02:57:50 pm »
Somebody mentioned going in the Pen at Woodison earlier when we lost 1-0 and they thought Ball or Harvey scored -set me thinking cos I remember the Cup Derby in the late sixties when we lost 1-0 and squeaky Ball scored (white boots and all!). That was the game with big screens at Anfield but I was determined to go to Woodison but could only get a ticket for the pen! Now this would be ok but I was about 15, 6 ft 2+ and about 14 stone!

Got in OK, nobody said a word, place was full of red scallies robbin and smackin blues -all this going on about a foot below me!  To make it worse I had been in the ale-house beforehand (hence the 14 stone probably!) and must have ronked of ale and stuck out like a sore thumb but the bizzies took no notice of any of the mayhem going on or of me.

Pity about the result!

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #79 on: October 4, 2005, 03:16:24 pm »
...of course nowadays we'd have to have a "girls pen" and a "non-specific gender pen"