Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 165244 times)

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
Re: Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #520 on: May 29, 2013, 05:54:36 pm »
Call me a miserable old shit, but i'm not sure what to make of this deal.

Hope the lad does well though

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: May 29, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »
Skrtel and Coates are still here. Are we going to assume that they won't be here and we will not be getting anyone when the season starts then? That's a lot of assumptions to make

No. The speculation (rather than assumptions) is based on if Skrtel/Coates are replaced by (for example) Papadopoulos/Llori. As many have said, we need to see what the overall movement at centre back is over the summer before judging one part of it.

Agger/Skrtel/Carragher/Coates ---> Agger/Papadopoulos/Toure/Llori?

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #522 on: May 29, 2013, 06:15:40 pm »
I remember Brendan saying he was having "constructive arguments" (or something like that) over the age of players they were targeting. Looks like he won. Impressive.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #523 on: May 29, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »
"Agger/Papadopoulos/Toure/Llori"

Will the above stop that sinking feeling I get when other teams get corners?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: May 29, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »
Welcome Kolo

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #525 on: May 29, 2013, 09:49:50 pm »
Makes sense as a guy to fill in the void left by Carragher. Probably nowhere near the leadership qualities but nevertheless, a decorated career and 3 years younger than Carra so he should be able to give us a couple of decent seasons hopefully.

Yeah he won't have the leadership qualities, but I bet he has a lot more pace!
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:18 pm »
ElLobo posted:- Cant agree with that, as sensible as it sounds.

Last summer the manager was left in a bit of a hole and had to put his faith in youngsters, and he was cut slack accordingly. There has to be a certain level of expectation now though, so if he decided that he'd bed more youngsters in this season at the cost of points and positions then I dare say he wouldn't be cut the same slack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you suggest is the way the fella in charge bloods his youngsters - back then now or in the future? Doing it on the training pitch is no substitute for the match-day scenario and when a manager has little funds at his disposal, what other choices does he or indeed do the fans have?
In crude parlance it's called shit or get off the pot time. The fans have either to back his hunches or cut him adrift after a while of waiting.

It was the same at United in 1989 when Fergie's arse was hangin' out the window until the class of 92 came through the youth ranks - and I think you know the rest of that story.

The way you'd want to include the younger players is almost always the same. You start off by giving them 5-10 minutes. You do that a few times. Then you remove them and have the play Reserve team football. Give them a taste of it. You do this and gradually you play them more and more. When you play them, you'd want them to play beside more experienced players. It's for example better to play Wisdom at RB, with Enrique, and two from Agger, Skrtel and Carra, than it is to play Coady with Shelvey and Henderson in CM.

If you want this to be successful, you need to have some balance in the squad. You look at our defence and we've had a fine balance in age and seniority.

You can't always get this. What you can do though, is you can try and give yourself the right environment. And if we expand on that a little, just look at the number of young players we have. It's very difficult to give them the best possible introduction. One side of that is you say the manager can't do much. He had no option but to play the young players and that's that. But you could also question why we spent all our money on younger players, when there was a need for more experience.

If we now bring in Toure to this, he could well be used as kind of a father figure. Meaning his real use for the team isn't mainly to improve our defence through his own play. It's rather to ensure that other players get on the right track. He's there to provide a bit of balance and experience, which will make it easier for younger defenders to make the grade.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #527 on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »
But you could also question why we spent all our money on younger players, when there was a need for more experience.

Because of a policy implemented by the owners, as evidenced by their reasons for pulling the plug on the Clint Dempsey deal last summer.  We seem to have recognised an imbalance that has come about as a result of this and looked to rectify it this summer so lessons appear to have been learned from past mistakes as neither Toure or Aspas fit with the "signings under-23" policy that has been touted.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »
Because of a policy implemented by the owners, as evidenced by their reasons for pulling the plug on the Clint Dempsey deal last summer.  We seem to have recognised an imbalance that has come about as a result of this and looked to rectify it this summer so lessons appear to have been learned from past mistakes as neither Toure or Aspas fit with the "signings under-23" policy that has been touted.

Yes, it seems we have learned. Good. That I like.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:52 pm »
Welcome to the club Kolo. Seems to be very much a bring in experienced cover and outside the buy young and cheap talent which can flourish, so glad to see they've expanded that philosophy so as to not miss out on something that can strengthen us short term as well as long too. Hopefully he can pass on his experience to the others even if he doesn't play as much due to his age, as we've seen in the past from great players like Hyppia/McAllister.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #530 on: May 30, 2013, 12:22:53 am »
Fat bastard, struggles with weight issues apparently
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: May 30, 2013, 12:38:01 am »
Fat bastard, struggles with weight issues apparently

But he'll give you a good deal on your next car.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #532 on: May 30, 2013, 12:45:40 am »
But he'll give you a good deal on your next car.

But don't leave him alone in the showroom with your girfriend
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #533 on: May 30, 2013, 07:27:19 am »
Gnurglan posted:-

The way you'd want to include the younger players is almost always the same. You start off by giving them 5-10 minutes. You do that a few times. Then you remove them and have the play Reserve team football. Give them a taste of it. You do this and gradually you play them more and more. ........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agree mate.

My original point in first replying was this. It ALWAYS has to be a judgement call by whoever is the gaffer as to when HE feels it's the right time for the youngster to take centre stage.
Of course, he can dance round the maypole and juggle like fuck til the cows come home if he chooses. But at the end of the day, he HAS to back himself to make the right decision. Hence my shit or get off the pot statement. That's what all managers have do - whether or not they are shown to have been good or bad managers come judgement day.

The fans either believe and/or they have to stay with the bloke's calls - at least for a reasonable amount of time which I would suggest could be as long as two or three seasons - or they're no fucking help whatsoever.
Yes the fans are enormously important to the club's cause AND to the course of any manager's tenure of office - just look at Hodgson.
But whoever it is who has been handed the baton has to conduct the orchestra as he sees fit. To suggest that he always has to consider looking concernedly over his shoulder for "slack being cut" to him by the fans is just plain wrong in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:57:06 am by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline scropper

• Kemlynite
Liverpool sign Kolo Toure
« Reply #534 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:34 am »
A place full of grammer Nazi's?

That would be 'Nazis'...

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #535 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:39 am »
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: May 30, 2013, 10:37:16 am »
Call me a miserable old shit, but i'm not sure what to make of this deal.

Hope the lad does well though

Ok you miserable old shite.

Don't know what calling you that has accomplished though.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: May 30, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »
Gnurglan posted:-

The way you'd want to include the younger players is almost always the same. You start off by giving them 5-10 minutes. You do that a few times. Then you remove them and have the play Reserve team football. Give them a taste of it. You do this and gradually you play them more and more. ........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agree mate.

My original point in first replying was this. It ALWAYS has to be a judgement call by whoever is the gaffer as to when HE feels it's the right time for the youngster to take centre stage.
Of course, he can dance round the maypole and juggle like fuck til the cows come home if he chooses. But at the end of the day, he HAS to back himself to make the right decision. Hence my shit or get off the pot statement. That's what all managers have do - whether or not they are shown to have been good or bad managers come judgement day.

The fans either believe and/or they have to stay with the bloke's calls - at least for a reasonable amount of time which I would suggest could be as long as two or three seasons - or they're no fucking help whatsoever.
Yes the fans are enormously important to the club's cause AND to the course of any manager's tenure of office - just look at Hodgson.
But whoever it is who has been handed the baton has to conduct the orchestra as he sees fit. To suggest that he always has to consider looking concernedly over his shoulder for "slack being cut" to him by the fans is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Dance round the maypole? ;D I thought that was for us Scandinavians, but Rodgers can maybe integrate it in the next summer training.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »
Dance round the maypole? ;D I thought that was for us Scandinavians, but Rodgers can maybe integrate it in the next summer training.

We have it here in England too, don't really know what it is all about, though.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »
A guess this signing is more about off the pitch stuffs. Such as experience, winning mind, big stage. Also, to make our dressing room "louder", remember few months ago, there was a article about how BR said our dressing room is too quiet and thus needed some voice.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: May 30, 2013, 01:17:55 pm »
"Dancing round the Maypole" is a slang way of saying (in Manchester at least) someone's actually doing fuck-all other than giving the impression of putting on a bit of top-show.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline camred

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #541 on: May 30, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »
Reported Premier League target Kyriakos Papadopoulos has no intention of leaving Schalke this summer, according to his agent.

The 21-year-old Greece international is considered as one of the best young defenders in Europe, having joined the German outfit from Olympiakos in 2010.

Papadopoulos, who made his first-team debut aged just 16, has been strongly linked with Liverpool, whilst Manchester City are also said to have an active interest.

But the youngster's agent is insistent that Papadopoulos is not looking to move.

"I can tell you we have no interest in a transfer away from Schalke at this point in time," Paul Koutsoliakos told Bild, insisting he is just concentrating on returning to full fitness after a knee operation in March.

"Kyriakos is happy being at this club," he said.

"Kyriakos is fully focused on being fit when Schalke start pre-season training in the next few months. He looks likely to be ready for it."

*gulp*

EDIT to say, not 100% on the rule for quoting things like this, so sorry if I've done this wrong

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: May 30, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »
Just as well maybe - Imagine the trouble you'd have trying to get his name printed on a replica shirt . . . ;) ::) ::)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: May 30, 2013, 01:25:24 pm »
*gulp*

EDIT to say, not 100% on the rule for quoting things like this, so sorry if I've done this wrong

Why would you post it in here either way?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: May 30, 2013, 01:26:16 pm »
"Dancing round the Maypole" is a slang way of saying (in Manchester at least) someone's actually doing fuck-all other than giving the impression of putting on a bit of top-show.

It involves much more than that. It's summer, you dance and the booze is flowing. The effect is often noticed the day after and maybe 9 months later.

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2013, 01:26:30 pm »
because there was a lot of 'I'm ok with Kolo as long as we get Papadopoulos' type posts.

Unless I've made that up?  ;D

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »
Gnurglan posted:- It involves much more than that. It's summer, you dance and the booze is flowing. The effect is often noticed the day after and maybe 9 months later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it used (obviously) to be the dance villagers would do on MayDay in Olde England. Maybe in the 17th century they still danced it but I've never seen it done in working-class Ardwick Manchester - nor anywhere close either. ;D ;D

Quite like the sound of SOME of your customs though . . .  ::) :P

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »
because there was a lot of 'I'm ok with Kolo as long as we get Papadopoulos' type posts.

Unless I've made that up?  ;D

The gist was that our central defensive incoming and outgoing transfers need to be assessed as a package, at the end of the window.

And the above is basic agent speak. Doesn't mean much either way.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline camred

• Main Stander
« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »
basic...agent...speak

hmmm  :-\

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02:22 pm »
Mostar's video of him against us has been removed from youtube. Anyone know where I can watch it?
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #550 on: June 1, 2013, 08:24:26 am »
Trying to come up with a LFC Teletubbies XI, now we've signed mr toure

Pepe

Bolo
Momo
Kolo
Didi
Nando

Any more?
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: June 1, 2013, 08:31:05 am »

Pepe

Bolo
Momo
Kolo
Didi
Nando

Any more?

Titi?

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #552 on: June 1, 2013, 09:13:54 am »
strange
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
« Reply #553 on: June 1, 2013, 12:26:00 pm »
Have not posted for abiti do not understand the doom and gloom
Signed as a back up but if hedoes play he is good enough

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #554 on: June 1, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »
Seems a perfect signing
Spend nothing on good 3/4 choices and invest in the first 11

I'd prefer invest on players that you expect to make the first 11 regularly and use youth players and good quality players like Toure as back up

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #555 on: June 1, 2013, 01:16:11 pm »
strange
Why ?

Perfect replacement for Cara and saves us about £2/3m on wages a year

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #556 on: June 1, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »

Pepe

Bolo
Momo
Kolo
Didi
Nando

Any more?

Suso
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #557 on: June 1, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »

Pepe

Bolo
Momo
Kolo
Didi
Nando

Any more?

I've absolutely no idea why you're doing it but I'll play.

Aldo
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: June 1, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »

Pepe

Bolo
Momo
Kolo
Didi
Nando

Any more?

Coutinho
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline se9R.F.L

• Legacy Fan
  • i fight the empire, i fix the robots.
    • imdb
« Reply #559 on: June 1, 2013, 05:35:11 pm »
Hendo