Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 585593 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3440 on: June 22, 2022, 05:18:44 pm »
I'd love to know what is behind the Curtis Jones hate

Where's the hate?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3441 on: June 22, 2022, 07:05:15 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3442 on: June 26, 2022, 04:25:31 pm »
I'd love to know what is behind the Curtis Jones hate, not sure whether it's because he's a bit of a scal or perceived to have a bad attitude or something, or perhaps they expect him to be as good as Iniesta or something.

Yeah, he struggled to impact games at times but it's not an easy thing to do in a Liverpool midfield, on the other hand he's had a handful of man-of-the-match-level performances. His Porto performance was up there with any individual performance by any of our midfielders this season.

I expect him to improve again next year.

From who?
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3443 on: June 27, 2022, 01:10:57 pm »
From who?

There’s a load of Liverpool supporters on Twitter who aren’t having him at all. I’m still largely on the fence about him and personally think he needs to push on this season, but some of the carry-on from Twitter Reds is absolutely wild.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3444 on: June 27, 2022, 01:17:07 pm »
There’s a load of Liverpool supporters on Twitter who aren’t having him at all. I’m still largely on the fence about him and personally think he needs to push on this season, but some of the carry-on from Twitter Reds is absolutely wild.

They should not be given the kudos of being called actual fans though. Yes, some good Liverpool fans on there of course, but the loudest are either trolls and/or children with nothing better to do. And the few who are actual adults, are loud mouths who have amassed quite big followings just by being negative and vicious. I’m sure they are very much in the group who don’t like him simply because he didn’t cost anything, and that his mere existance on this team blocks the buying of another player.  And that is their main interest - how much money can be spent and which names they can buy. 

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3445 on: June 27, 2022, 04:49:22 pm »
They should not be given the kudos of being called actual fans though. Yes, some good Liverpool fans on there of course, but the loudest are either trolls and/or children with nothing better to do. And the few who are actual adults, are loud mouths who have amassed quite big followings just by being negative and vicious. I’m sure they are very much in the group who don’t like him simply because he didn’t cost anything, and that his mere existance on this team blocks the buying of another player.  And that is their main interest - how much money can be spent and which names they can buy. 

Empty vessels make the most noise, innit? It's easy for me to ignore it all, I have no social network accounts for a reason... ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3446 on: June 27, 2022, 05:11:23 pm »
There’s a load of Liverpool supporters on Twitter who aren’t having him at all. ...

Utter wools, shouldn't be anywhere near the club

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3447 on: June 27, 2022, 05:13:26 pm »

Can you see where you went wrong ?…

Jurgen Klopp

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3448 on: June 27, 2022, 07:51:22 pm »

There's no need to be a dick about it. I was just answering your question.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3449 on: June 27, 2022, 07:59:34 pm »

It's all well and good saying this (and I agree with you) but it's not like we haven't seen some of our players get abuse on there from the exact same people who we're referring to. I've seen the replies to Curtis' tweets after games that he's played - I presume it isn't so easy to differentiate from who is or isn't a Liverpool supporter when they're just being nasty to you.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3450 on: June 27, 2022, 08:05:36 pm »
It's all well and good saying this (and I agree with you) but it's not like we haven't seen some of our players get abuse on there from the exact same people who we're referring to. I've seen the replies to Curtis' tweets after games that he's played - I presume it isn't so easy to differentiate from who is or isn't a Liverpool supporter when they're just being nasty to you.

Some people take social media too seriously. There's lots of trolls out there who just live to wind other people up. & there's lots of whoppers who simply haven't got a clue what they're talking about. Best just ignore them, or even better, laugh at them.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3451 on: June 27, 2022, 08:13:41 pm »
Some people take social media too seriously. There's lots of trolls out there who just live to wind other people up. & there's lots of whoppers who simply haven't got a clue what they're talking about. Best just ignore them, or even better, laugh at them.

That's easier said than done though, isn't it? Especially with younger players. Neco Williams was 19 when he ended up deleting his account because he received thousands of abusive tweets. I can recall it being particularly bad for him after one game in which he played reasonably well. And the other thing is that social media shapes the mainstream discourse in football more than pretty much anything else in this day and age, so perhaps if you're an older, more established footballer, it's not so much of an issue, but when you're trying to break into the Liverpool first team and you've got people on there giving you grief, I can understand why their may be a negative reaction to it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:15:49 pm by ljycb »

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3452 on: June 27, 2022, 09:14:09 pm »
That's easier said than done though, isn't it? Especially with younger players. Neco Williams was 19 when he ended up deleting his account because he received thousands of abusive tweets. I can recall it being particularly bad for him after one game in which he played reasonably well. And the other thing is that social media shapes the mainstream discourse in football more than pretty much anything else in this day and age, so perhaps if you're an older, more established footballer, it's not so much of an issue, but when you're trying to break into the Liverpool first team and you've got people on there giving you grief, I can understand why their may be a negative reaction to it.

Quite agree and the teatment that Neco got was disgusting. Given the way the Club supports young players I assume that attention is given to how they use social media? Advice and support must be available I guess via the education and welfare officers to enable them to rationalise as much as possible the potenial pitfalls of putting thoughts and pictures out there. Schools have lessons regarding social media and bullying so I assumes it's part of the Club's support for younger players?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3453 on: June 27, 2022, 09:17:34 pm »

;D

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #3454 on: June 27, 2022, 09:50:08 pm »
Not everyone can be Mo Salah or Trent Alexander-Arnold but if he's a good enough player to be a reliable squad asset for a decade then that's also a very good career. Especially having been born in the city and trained at the club. Having that local presence was a bit missed out on between Gerrard and Trent. It's obvious that getting more starts in a team that counts Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho and Keïta among its central midfielders is a bit of a grind though. I doubt Henderson or Milner at 21 would get much more playing time in a team like what Liverpool are now. So there's no doubts about that the potential is there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:51:44 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3455 on: June 27, 2022, 09:58:43 pm »

unfortunately it’s very serious business, however some of us oldies don’t like it  :P

But it can’t be or shouldn’t be ignored. It’s a major issue, and yes, a problem.

There’s a reason all the big journos and the media in general camp up there and take it VERY seriously, that is where they get the interactions, publiclity and revenue clicks. 

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3456 on: June 27, 2022, 10:00:48 pm »
Quite agree and the teatment that Neco got was disgusting. Given the way the Club supports young players I assume that attention is given to how they use social media? Advice and support must be available I guess via the education and welfare officers to enable them to rationalise as much as possible the potenial pitfalls of putting thoughts and pictures out there. Schools have lessons regarding social media and bullying so I assumes it's part of the Club's support for younger players?

Oh they definitely will, you’re right. They were doing social media training with the players in the academy as early as 2012, so I imagine it’s very sophisticated now, but I guess it’s one of those situations where no amount of training really prepares someone to face a barrage of abuse. I think a lot of clubs would rather their players steer clear of it but it’s not possible with the way sponsorships etc work nowadays.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3457 on: June 27, 2022, 11:01:44 pm »
unfortunately it’s very serious business, however some of us oldies don’t like it  :P

But it can’t be or shouldn’t be ignored. It’s a major issue, and yes, a problem.

There’s a reason all the big journos and the media in general camp up there and take it VERY seriously, that is where they get the interactions, publiclity and revenue clicks.

Let 'em at it. Let them all swirl and stew in their own echo chambers. Let's face it, has anyone ever actually won an argument out there in the social media gutter (I haven't). No-one's generally interested in anyone's opinion but their own. What a complete waste of time and energy.

Well count me in as an oldie ... I know I am a relative dinosaur (as well as being a condescending twat at times) but .... If I was advising youngsters or any player for that matter, my first piece of advice would be, don't have a public twitter or facebook or instagram or any social media presence at all.

Particularly if you have any vulnerability to being abused, criticised, dismissed, laughed at etc etc ... Why bother ?

Keep it to family and friends and stay away from any media at all. Happy days. You're getting paid a bloody ton anyway. Peace of mind has no price.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3458 on: June 27, 2022, 11:17:06 pm »
Oh they definitely will, you’re right. They were doing social media training with the players in the academy as early as 2012, so I imagine it’s very sophisticated now, but I guess it’s one of those situations where no amount of training really prepares someone to face a barrage of abuse. I think a lot of clubs would rather their players steer clear of it but it’s not possible with the way sponsorships etc work nowadays.
the club should provide a service whereby it runs the players' "public" accounts - using innocuous photos etc the players provide and screening out all the shite - while they have separate ones for real friends, family, teammates etc.

not sure if that's at all practical but could work for the younger lads maybe and avoid the Neco experience.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3459 on: June 27, 2022, 11:28:07 pm »
Yes, this obsession with buying and that being the only way to improve. I fully expect Jones and Eliott to fully 'emerge' this year and become as valuable as some of the £50m players being touted around. It takes longer for defenders and midfield players to have impact and develop experience and maturity, we can see Konate has now reached that status he was bought for.

Carvalho also to have a year where he learns the rope, has some good games and becomes another in 23/24.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 11:29:50 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3460 on: June 27, 2022, 11:28:50 pm »
Not everyone can be Mo Salah or Trent Alexander-Arnold but if he's a good enough player to be a reliable squad asset for a decade then that's also a very good career. Especially having been born in the city and trained at the club. Having that local presence was a bit missed out on between Gerrard and Trent. It's obvious that getting more starts in a team that counts Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho and Keïta among its central midfielders is a bit of a grind though. I doubt Henderson or Milner at 21 would get much more playing time in a team like what Liverpool are now. So there's no doubts about that the potential is there.

That’s the thing, he’s only 21.  Look at the age of the players that we are bringing in and they are in the 23-25 age group (with the obvious exception of Carvalho and Ramsey).  That’s the age where players are just about to enter their prime and explode.  Curtis still has 2-3 years until he’s the age that we’d look to bring him in on a transfer.  That’s 2-3 years more of development and working with Klopp and Pep.  He’s homegrown, he’s getting quality starts in the best team in the world, and he’s nowhere near his prime.   

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3461 on: June 28, 2022, 12:21:02 am »
There's no need to be a dick about it. I was just answering your question.

Christ lighten up mate I was only pulling your leg

Jurgen Klopp

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3462 on: June 28, 2022, 12:24:12 am »
the club should provide a service whereby it runs the players' "public" accounts - using innocuous photos

Tsimikas and Bobby both consequently banned from social media, on account of none of their doings ever being so prosaic a thing as innocuous...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3463 on: June 28, 2022, 12:46:17 am »

Ah fair enough. Sorry mate.

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3464 on: June 28, 2022, 04:25:59 am »
It would be better for jones to get proper game time and a full season under his belt rather than warming the bench. Hope he gets a loan spell with a good coach.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3465 on: June 28, 2022, 07:00:49 am »
It would be better for jones to get proper game time and a full season under his belt rather than warming the bench. Hope he gets a loan spell with a good coach.

Jones would have had a regular game first half of the season if he didn't keep getting injured. We were regularly struggling for numbers
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3466 on: June 28, 2022, 10:42:53 am »
I think eventually he will go. Next couple of years.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3467 on: June 28, 2022, 10:57:55 am »
I think eventually he will go. Next couple of years.

I totally disagree. He has the technical ability and now he has added defensive discipline and positioning. Why would we move him on?

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3468 on: June 28, 2022, 11:09:58 am »
I just think we will buy better.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3469 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:09 am »

If we do then I hope we can buy somebody young and talented with loads of potential who, ideally, has been schooled and coached in the Klopp way and has some huge games in Europe already under his belt.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3470 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:17 am »

You're not going to have 11 world-class players in every position. And if you did you aren't going to have a world-class second 11 willing to sit on the bench as backup.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3471 on: June 28, 2022, 11:24:13 am »
Unless he demands money beyond his position within the squad I don't see why we'd move him on, and even then it should be because another acadmey player has come through. He's already trusted as a squad option. He'll likely be on less money than other squad options and counts as home grown, which is going to matter for for filling out a squad when you can have 20 players and 16 used during match days going forward.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3472 on: June 28, 2022, 11:58:38 am »
If we do then I hope we can buy somebody young and talented with loads of potential who, ideally, has been schooled and coached in the Klopp way and has some huge games in Europe already under his belt.

I kind of feel like we may already have that player at the club. 

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3473 on: June 28, 2022, 12:00:35 pm »

He'd lighten up more if you pulled something else to be fair.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3474 on: June 28, 2022, 12:07:15 pm »
The way people talk about Jones as if he's on the fringes is mad. He's played 75 odd games for us, under the same manager who rates him highly, despite being just 21 and behind a strong core of experienced midfielders such as Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Oxlade Chamberlain, Milner, and before this season, Wijnaldum.

Last season he'd have made more appearances if not for niggling injuries, I'm pretty sure of that. In the 20/21 season he done very well IMO and probably only lost his place when Thiago returned to fitness. He hadn't done much to warrant being dropped.

There should be no plans to sell/loan him and I doubt there is. Someone pointed out earlier in the thread that he does seem to get a lot of stick and I'm inclined to agree. You're entitled to your opinion on a player but I just can't see what he's doing wrong to be criticised. Last season was very stop/start for him and while it wasn't full of standout performances he still performed quite well IMO. The quality is clearly there and he'll only get better, next season he'll certainly get more minutes barring injuries.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3475 on: June 28, 2022, 12:21:44 pm »
I kind of feel like we may already have that player at the club. 

Well I suppose there's the Curtis Jones fella. But he came free and therefore lacks the charisma of someone - anyone - we might blow 50 million on. Plus Jones is such a commonplace name, don't you find?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3476 on: June 28, 2022, 12:30:01 pm »
The reason why any young player should want to come to Liverpool is that the manager has patience and imagination, and when development stalls, he's thinking of ways to help rather than discard. It'll be fascinating, after Klopp's comments about Jones last season, to see him in pre-season and to see how the manager uses him, particularly if we tweak the formation. One of the most interesting things about the Klopp years at Liverpool is his development of young talent and this season promises new-newbies and old-newbies alike. Can't wait. Bet Curtis Jones can't either.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3477 on: June 28, 2022, 12:34:07 pm »
Really like Jones. Think he's a joy to watch and could end up being the Wijnaldum replacement. Do think he hangs onto the ball a second or two too long. Just needs to quicken up his game.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3478 on: June 28, 2022, 12:35:01 pm »

Even if we do decide to buy again in the manner that we bought Fabinho, Keita, and Thiago (i.e. players to step immediately into the senior ranks of the squad), I think there'll always be plenty of opportunities for Curtis Jones and he's more than worth his place in the matchday squad - I imagine he'll get plenty of starts in the season ahead and be with us for a long time yet.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3479 on: June 28, 2022, 01:34:24 pm »
Jones is quality one of the best talents I’ve seen at this club, still baffles me when people don’t rate him.