Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281716 times)

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch.
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »
Crows are quite territorial mate, they go bonkers when a Heron flys over.

Aye, it's quite fun to watch. I've seen buzzards be mobbed when there are eggs or chicks around, but it seems it's an an all year round thing.

Dont have to worry about rats out the back because of the jacker, its the flying rats (pigeons) that i have to deal with. I usually feed first thing in the morning, that way the food is gone by evening time, its leaving the food out in the birdfeeders at night that attract the rats

This hasn't worked here - the rats were out in force during the day. I decided to remove the food altogether as it's no freezing here at the moment and try to eradicate the rat problem. I would love to have a Jack Russell but I'm renting so it's not an option. I have a cat but he doesn't like grass  :-\ Hope I manage to sort this problem out.

Flock of 7 Ring necked parakeets in the trees at the end of my road yesterday -

Are you in/near London or are they spreading? Used to see them in Battersea Park in London, they're beautiful birds.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »
Flock of 7 Ring necked parakeets in the trees at the end of my road yesterday -
They should be shot. They are not native to this country.

Love birds, but if they're not a migratory or indigenous, then they should really be culled. They may offer food to inner city hawks, but what food are they taking from the indigenous birds is the real concern.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:53 pm »
Crows are quite territorial mate, they go bonkers when a Heron flys over.

I like any Corvids, they are incredibly smart and fun to watch, but they do annoy the crap out of me when they mob birds of prey. Normally it's just a Kestrel I'm enjoying watching but they especially pissed me off recently when there was an Eagle and they forced it away before it came close enough to get a picture.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »
I saw waxwings outside my front door last week, that was a first, also gold finches in the summer. We also get a sparrowhawk on an irregular basis, and a heron that likes to have a go at the fish pond in an adjoining garden. Otherwise it's fairly run of the mill stuff.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »

Love birds, but if they're not a migratory or indigenous, then they should really be culled. They may offer food to inner city hawks, but what food are they taking from the indigenous birds is the real concern.

Think orchard owners and farmers are not too keen on them either - parakeets have the potential to be quite destructive. I'm not sure if we'd be able to eradicate them, but maybe just controlling their numbers might be enough.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2012, 02:09:18 pm »
Two Tawny Frog Mouthed Owls moved in to our yard about two weeks ago, I can't stop taking photos of the fuckers, some of them are a laugh and I reckon the big one's just posing now. I'm made up as they eat snakes, mice and rats and there's friggin loads of stuff skulking around, particularly at night.
Nice one BSBW. "Hey, we're trying to look like trees here, Now... piss off"
Lorikeets, Crows, Magpies, New Holland Honeyeaters, Hawks, Wood Pigeons, Kookaburras, Falcons, Starlings, Galahs, Blackbirds, Corellas, Cockatoos, Ibis, and Wattle birds flying about my way.
Yet, to see the Ardeotis australis,

,the Australian Bustard, except maybe down the pub on a Friday night.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2012, 10:47:37 pm »
also gold finches in the summer. 
Growing up in Liverpool I don't recall ever seeing a Goldfinch, now they are one of the most common and distinctive songs (if you can call it that) in my garden and I rarely see Sparrows anymore.

A couple of years ago I had one of these Firecrests in my front garden in Allerton, never seen one before and never seen one since - not even in the park, gorgeous little bird.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: January 2, 2013, 02:36:24 am »
saw a bald eagle today - it's the tiny bump on the top of this rock - it was hunting for Puffins - amazing beast

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2013, 01:24:59 pm »
The RSPB have got this head-count thing going on 26/27 of this month if you'd like to register and take part.

It's only over a 1 hour period - it doesn't mention which hour which I find puzzling. At certain times of the day my back garden's a mad house; other times like a morgue.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

...my 'buzz' spot was a waxwing a couple of winters ago.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline a former tribune of the plebs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »
Anyone on RAWK a twitcher ?

I've got a bit of twitcher reading this thread

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:29 am »
At last, something worth reading!

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2013, 10:41:51 am »

A lot of birds which we now think of as indigenous are relatively recent arrivals. Down my way there's a breeding flock of little egrets which only showed up about 20 years ago. This will be happening more and more with climate change. I know that escaped pets are a bit different from birds which have made it here under their own steam, but I would hope that some proper research would be done before culling anything.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:17 am »
I often see Red Kites on the drive into work (in Reading) - this morning I saw a big group of them - beautiful birds.

From what I know they were all but gone from the region but were re-introduced about 20 years ago.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2013, 12:15:45 pm »
Feel sorry for the poor little sods out there. A lovely early warm spring weather then back to freezing temperatures. Poor little blighters dont know wheter they're coming or going

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »
I often see Red Kites on the drive into work (in Reading) - this morning I saw a big group of them - beautiful birds.

From what I know they were all but gone from the region but were re-introduced about 20 years ago.

The reintroduction of the Red Kite is the RSPB's finest hour to date. A brilliant example of how to do it. Central Wales was the only place you could see them when I was a kid but sites were chosen, the chilterns, north yourkshire & others and Iberian birds were brought over. So successful has it been that there is now cross breeding between the ancient population in Wales and the recent Iberian interlopers.

A top job & a beautiful, beautiful bird, truly majestic. Especially on a day like today, clear skies & blowy as fuck, they just hang there, barely any effort just the occasional flick of its forked tail or a minor adjustment of its wings.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »
Little Egrets arrived naturally by range extension, though: a twitchable bird on Merseyside in the late 80s, they began overwintering on the Dee, then the Ribble. There's a spectacular Little Egret roost throughout the year now on Southport Marine Lake; this last winter joined by a Great White Egret too: there are a few of these around and they're likely to be the next to extend their breeding range. Avocets also returned naturally, having become extinct in UK.

Little Owl is an introduced bird, from France, now on the British List for over 100 years. The really contentious one of course is Eagle Owl - once indigenous but became extinct, escaped birds in Yorks and Bowland have established a few years of successive wild generations, and the culling debate there is fierce! Ruddy Duck - which can hybridise with White-Headed Duck (nearest population Andalucia?) - were subjected to an EU directed cull in recent years. Ring-necked parakeets are now far too well established here and throughout Europe (and Rose-Ringed) On Merseyside they're in Sefton Park, Southport Botanic and there's a very well established 5th or 6th generation population across the Ribble in Lytham St Anne's cemetery that will soon spread.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:39:30 pm by Bob Kurac »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2013, 07:59:09 pm »
Little Owl is an introduced bird, from France, now on the British List for over 100 years. The really contentious one of course is Eagle Owl - once indigenous but became extinct, escaped birds in Yorks and Bowland have established a few years of successive wild generations, and the culling debate there is fierce!
Coincidently I popped in here to say I saw an Owl flying over Menlove Ave in to Caldies park at the weekend. I stopped jogging and we looked at each other as it perched on a high branch in the dusk of the night. We shared a moment before it flew off treating me to a glimpse of its wonderful wind span.

I've been running round Caldies for years & years and haven't seen one there before. I'd love to know what type it was, it was such a treat.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:17 pm »
Smart money would be Tawny

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »
Yeah I guess so, thanks. It was a treat to see it.

There was a Manderin Duck on Caldies lake a couple of years ago, I nearly fell of my bike. It was gorgeous. I've not seen it since

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2013, 08:19:26 pm »
On a bike ride last week spotted a small flock of Goldfinch's and then later on about 3 Bullfinch's. Re-sult!

Just worried about this current cold snap and the lack of food for the little bleeders.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2013, 10:59:34 pm »
On a bike ride last week spotted a small flock of Goldfinch's and then later on about 3 Bullfinch's. Re-sult!

Just worried about this current cold snap and the lack of food for the little bleeders.

Goldfinches are my fav little bird mate, I'm not ashamed to admit I have a little (discreet) goldfinch badge in between my two LFC badges on the lower part of the dash of my car. I love them mate. There's loads of them in my garden, Bullfinches are another rare treat round the park, they look superb in flight.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »

There's a house in Earley, just south of the Uni, where there's usually a mob of kites circling at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon.  The people who live there must feed them.  On a couple of occasions I've just pulled over and sat and watched. 

There are a breeding pair near our's (North Thatcham) and it's great to see them at this time of year wandering about then in June / July there are often 4 or 5 as the parents show the youngun's what's what.  Then it's back to just the pair in August / September as the youngun's go their own way.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:44 am »
Goldfinches are my fav little bird mate, I'm not ashamed to admit I have a little (discreet) goldfinch badge in between my two LFC badges on the lower part of the dash of my car. I love them mate. There's loads of them in my garden, Bullfinches are another rare treat round the park, they look superb in flight.

We have quite a few come regularly to our garden and nothing better than seeing them all in the trees and having four on/lining up to eat from our Niger seed feeder. They're absolutely beautiful and the only thing we've had to match them for a truly colourful garden visitor is a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Saw a Little Owl in the park last week and was fantastic as never seen a wild owl so close before. Took ages to find it even though we knew where it generally could be found, but once we did then we were there for ages watching it. Will head down there again soon and hopefully get some better pictures this time, both it and the Tree Creepers that day weren't close enough for me to get a decent shot.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Bird watch.
« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2013, 12:43:15 am »
If you've never seen this, you should.

http://birdblog.merseyblogs.co.uk/

Crossbills - 12 - nr Royal Birkdale Golf Club today. Avocets at Marshside. Hen Harriers are around N Lancs and the mosses too. Spoonbill and Great White Egret in Southpor, Twite too. Redpolls coming to Niger feeders all over the country, it seems.

Much better fun than football, eh?!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:50:56 am by Bob Kurac »

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2013, 10:24:06 am »

Took this GS Woodpecker a couple of weeks ago in Storeton Woods in Birkenhead/Bebington.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2013, 10:30:03 am »
Lovely, I'd have been made up to see that.  I can always hear loads of them as I'm running round Caldies Park, I stopped once to observe one hammering a branch so hard it was bending. They must be extremely powerful.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2013, 01:06:46 pm »
I live on a bay here in the States. A couple of weeks ago on a very quiet early morning I counted over 120 white swans on the water. Amazing sight. Grumpy bastards though. You can walk over to feed them something and they'll hiss at you if they're in a bad mood.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2013, 01:50:48 pm »

Photo of a frequent visitor to my garden.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »

Wow, great shot.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:30 pm »
Thanks, she's a good model though.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »

I live on a bay here in the States. A couple of weeks ago on a very quiet early morning I counted over 120 white swans on the water. Amazing sight. Grumpy bastards though. You can walk over to feed them something and they'll hiss at you if they're in a bad mood.
That amused me mate  ;D  120!, I could imagine you sitting there saying "stay fucking still".

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2013, 08:09:17 pm »

What is it mate, it looks like a colourful Starling.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2013, 08:45:41 pm »
We used to get all kinds of small birds in our garden, living right on the edge of woodland. But a pair of Sparrowhawks have moved in and have spooked the living daylights out of most of the birds. Don't really blame them, as they're incredible predators. Seen them take anything from Blue Tits to Wood Pigeons.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2013, 08:51:46 pm »
What is it mate, it looks like a colourful Starling.

Looks like an absolutely drenched Green Woodpecker to me.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2013, 09:03:46 pm »
It's definitely a green woody.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:06 pm »
We used to get all kinds of small birds in our garden, living right on the edge of woodland. But a pair of Sparrowhawks have moved in and have spooked the living daylights out of most of the birds. Don't really blame them, as they're incredible predators. Seen them take anything from Blue Tits to Wood Pigeons.
I was visiting my parents earlier on this month and saw a Sparrowhawk perching on the fence. Quite chuffed to see it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2013, 09:33:27 pm »

I came downstairs one morning to see a big pile of stuff on the grass in the back garden, couldn't work out at first what it was. Suddenly realised a Sparrowhawk had taken a pidgeon and was plucking it. I watch it remove all the feathers, then move the body out of the pile and start to eat the carcass.

I'd love to take up falconry, but I just dont have the time at the moment. Its deffo on my to do list when I'm older though.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Manix

• Dogged Campaigner!
  • Anny Roader
  • The Liver Bird upon my chest
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:41 am »
I came downstairs one morning to see a big pile of stuff on the grass in the back garden, couldn't work out at first what it was. Suddenly realised a Sparrowhawk had taken a pidgeon and was plucking it. I watch it remove all the feathers, then move the body out of the pile and start to eat the carcass.

I'd love to take up falconry, but I just dont have the time at the moment. Its deffo on my to do list when I'm older though.

Sparrowhawk swooped on a wood pigeon in my garden last year and killed it then proceeded to pull it apart right in front of me.
I also have pics of a Jay that comes occasionally to feed off the bird station and even have a male and female pheasant who visit.

Pics aren't too good as I took them through a window...

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2013, 08:27:19 pm »
Had a Jay in the garden this morning, its a pity they are so nervous, once disturbed they never return even though it was munching on some nuts which were on the ground and easily available. They look gorgeous in flight.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2013, 08:27:59 pm »

Pics aren't too good as I took them through a window...
They are ace mate, the way it's looking at you.