Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly Q&A  (Read 298197 times)

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:21 am »
Hello - Firstly, thanks for all the hard work the union does on our behalf - I'm proud to be a union member - I'd recommend those who haven't joined do so here.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

OK - I'll crack on with a question.  I've thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have some sort of letter or welcome pack for new and existing players that explains to them what things like the SOS are and what they stand for - and perhaps what fans of LFC (or union members at any rate) expect of our players and what they can expect in return from the supporters?  It would also be useful as a tool to explain things like the boycott of the rag and the NOTW as some players still give these papers exclusives.

Is it something the union could or would consider?

Thanks again for all you do.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2010, 11:26:56 am »
Hello - Firstly, thanks for all the hard work the union does on our behalf - I'm proud to be a union member - I'd recommend those who haven't joined do so here.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

OK - I'll crack on with a question.  I've thought for a while that it would be a good idea to have some sort of letter or welcome pack for new and existing players that explains to them what things like the SOS are and what they stand for - and perhaps what fans of LFC (or union members at any rate) expect of our players and what they can expect in return from the supporters?  It would also be useful as a tool to explain things like the boycott of the rag and the NOTW as some players still give these papers exclusives.

Is it something the union could or would consider?

Thanks again for all you do.

Cheers. Thanks for that.

Couple of issues. Firstly, getting any sort of welcome pack to the players would be dificult and secondly they are in a very difficult position being employed by the Club, so any support or assistance from them would be minimal.

It's also illuminating that many ex-players are shy of the Union as they still retain links and have a commercial relationship with the Club or simply don't want to lose their access to tickets.

The issue about Hillsborough and the S*n is actually dealt with by the Club when new players join - they get an induction about the history of the Club and the politicis of the boycott - and that is not really a role for a Supporters' Union when there is the Club and also the Hillsborough groups around.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »
Thank you SOS first, just wanted to say that the union is the best thing that have happend Liverpool during the last five years, stands for everything that I stand for and what I want the club to be like.

Just one question, what have happen with Reclaim The Kop? If i get it right many of the lads from RTK are now union members and RTK is "closed" down until things settle a bit with the yanks?

Beside those things that SOS wants to achive I also think improving the matchday experince should be on the agenda, but maybe when things have settled down because there are far more important things going on at the moment.
For me, improving the atmosphere, singing section...all the things that RTK stood for is for me and I know for lots of others very important and it would be terrific if SOS could help out with that part aswell.

Proud SOS-member!
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2010, 04:36:59 pm »
Thank you SOS first, just wanted to say that the union is the best thing that have happend Liverpool during the last five years, stands for everything that I stand for and what I want the club to be like.

Just one question, what have happen with Reclaim The Kop? If i get it right many of the lads from RTK are now union members and RTK is "closed" down until things settle a bit with the yanks?

Beside those things that SOS wants to achive I also think improving the matchday experince should be on the agenda, but maybe when things have settled down because there are far more important things going on at the moment.
For me, improving the atmosphere, singing section...all the things that RTK stood for is for me and I know for lots of others very important and it would be terrific if SOS could help out with that part aswell.

Proud SOS-member!

Indeed, could SOS champion the cause of standing terraces?
Considering the impending financial handcuffs that will probably be placed on the Premiership, I think it's high time we considered that staying and improving Anfield is much more beneficial to the long-term future of the club and community.
Borussia Dortmund's stadium should be the model, but scaled down for Anfield.  The unique "Südtribüne" (Southern Stand), with 24,454 enthusiastic standing fans who fill the largest still existing terrace of Europe, makes this stadium one of the most fascinating football-stadiums in the world. It can be converted from standing places (for league games) and seats (for international matches) within two days.

As the above poster says, RTK was a great idea but I don't think they, or the club, have ever gotten to grips with it.  I see this, the improvement of matchday atmosphere, the key project for SOS.  After the eradication of our dishonest and embarrassing current dictatorship, that is.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2010, 11:06:11 pm »
I think it fair to say that RTK has been subsumed into the Union but it etjos stillresides in there.

Safe standing is something that has not been rasied by members - if it was (maybe closer to when we get a new ground) then it could be considered if given enough support.

However it is clearly a national issue and something the FSF are more active and vocal about.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »
Sorry to give so much background reading for the question, but I started this thread about the 'Oh Campione' song, and it's uncovered some issues which would be good to discuss.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=254498.0

I get the feeling that a lot of us are aware of them and have the same ambitions to improve the atmosphere, but it's not being discussed publicly. Here is my question from that thread.

Which leads me to my next question, at what point do we re-start making interventions to try and improve the seriously suffering atmosphere? Is it possible for SOS to lead on concurrently with the ownership issue?

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=254498.msg6678034#msg6678034
JFT97

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2010, 05:56:44 pm »
Sorry to give so much background reading for the question, but I started this thread about the 'Oh Campione' song, and it's uncovered some issues which would be good to discuss.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=254498.0

I get the feeling that a lot of us are aware of them and have the same ambitions to improve the atmosphere, but it's not being discussed publicly. Here is my question from that thread.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=254498.msg6678034#msg6678034

Tricky one this as although RTK sort of merged into SOS it hasn't been high on our priorities (or our members as they haven't clamoured for us to get involved).

On top of this we've also got the concern that we don't start asking people to conform in some sort of way but allow fans to express themselves as they feel going forward.

If you're a member you can put things forward.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2010, 06:15:43 pm »
Tricky one this as although RTK sort of merged into SOS it hasn't been high on our priorities (or our members as they haven't clamoured for us to get involved).

On top of this we've also got the concern that we don't start asking people to conform in some sort of way but allow fans to express themselves as they feel going forward.

Echo what Graham has said. But look at what happened before Spurs game. Just started off as an idea on forums and with talking to all those with banners and spreading the word we were able to do something well. Things like this and similarly things against the owners can always be started and initiated by individuals and other groups. Don't have to wait for SOS, but then we can try and help out with things if at all possible and required.

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »

I am a member mate - will put something forward as I think it's getting/got to the point where it needs to be discussed.

Thanks.

Echo what Graham has said. But look at what happened before Spurs game. Just started off as an idea on forums and with talking to all those with banners and spreading the word we were able to do something well. Things like this and similarly things against the owners can always be started and initiated by individuals and other groups. Don't have to wait for SOS, but then we can try and help out with things if at all possible and required.

Good shout about the pre-Spurs showing. You might remember from the thread I was very vocal about it and behind the great idea you'd put forward.

I just personally feel it's got the point where a conscious RTK style 'movement' is required (this time with more impact), although I take on board your comments about conforming (I can't fathom non-conformers opinions on this issue, but nevertheless understand you need to consider them).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:20:12 pm by GinKop »
JFT97

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2010, 06:22:39 pm »
You'd have to be careful if there is another RTK type campaign as RTK seemed to alienate a few for reasons unbeknown to me.

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2010, 06:27:30 pm »
You'd have to be careful if there is another RTK type campaign as RTK seemed to alienate a few for reasons unbeknown to me.

That's what I mean and I fully agree with you, I cannot for the life of me understand why people would resist something to improve the atmosphere - maybe it's linked to the days of old where spontaneity was what made us unique and having a campaign is too manufactured.

My thought on this is; things have changed, and if we continue to sit back and watch things get worse, we'll lose a part of our club that is just as important (to me at least) as any player, manager or trophy.
JFT97

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist + Proud
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:13 am »
Hi, is SOS looking at setting up a fans buyout of a small percentage of the club? With all the latest developments over reinvestment i think its imnperative the club has some fan ownership even if its 5%. If there is something in the pipeline how long before we get to hear any details? Thanks...
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly :( (Which i can never remember )

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:55 pm »
How many members have SOS now got?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2010, 10:33:10 am »
How many members have SOS now got?

Around 4,500. Nearly 22,000 on Facebook as well.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »
Around 4,500. Nearly 22,000 on Facebook as well.

That is a big difference, the official number is very low compared to those facebook numbers and the number of Liverpool fans worldwide.

Can I suggest that more people are educated and made aware of the severity of the problems before it is to late. Take the green and white anti glazer scarfs, they now have people asking questions and are shown worldwide by fans wearing them at televised games.
Why have SOS not adopted a similar approach?
Get high profile names to wear them, offer them as an incentive to join the union.

SOS need far greater numbers before anyone will listen.

Sorry if this is already in the pipeline or sounds like a dig but the fustration is of the situation is getting to me.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2010, 10:23:21 pm »
Numbers mean nothing if there is no will to actually do anything. MUST and Green and Gold are like the chain letters I used to get at school - when you get it you had to send 10 copies to people you know then they'd each send 10 etc... It's exactly how MUST are driving their numbers up. When you sign up they ask you to send an email to everyone in your address book. They've got 150,000 odd members now - how many would actually turn up to a march down Matt Busby Way?...

The important numbers for us are the 4,500 paid up SOS members and we should all focus on encouraging people to pay their dues and help support the action of the Union. Whether or not you agree with everything that's been done by the Union everyone needs to rally behind the one voice that is recognised within the club and the media.

And that's the point - people do listen to SOS and they do take notice. Green and Gold is already beginning to see a backlash from the press and Sky Sports News were taking the piss out of the Pompey lads in their pink scarves this morning...

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »
Numbers mean nothing if there is no will to actually do anything. MUST and Green and Gold are like the chain letters I used to get at school - when you get it you had to send 10 copies to people you know then they'd each send 10 etc... It's exactly how MUST are driving their numbers up. When you sign up they ask you to send an email to everyone in your address book. They've got 150,000 odd members now - how many would actually turn up to a march down Matt Busby Way?...

The important numbers for us are the 4,500 paid up SOS members and we should all focus on encouraging people to pay their dues and help support the action of the Union. Whether or not you agree with everything that's been done by the Union everyone needs to rally behind the one voice that is recognised within the club and the media.

And that's the point - people do listen to SOS and they do take notice. Green and Gold is already beginning to see a backlash from the press and Sky Sports News were taking the piss out of the Pompey lads in their pink scarves this morning...

MUST also have paid members as well and judging by the numbers who voted at their last AGM it is around a thousand or less. Can't find any record of this number online.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2010, 12:25:01 am »

Just a few questions regarding RTK and the atmosphere inside Anfield.

Has the atmosphere issue ever been raised by a member.

Seeing as RTK members are sitting on the S.O.S commitee , hasn't anyone ever asked them, even over a pint, why they have been scrapped or if they intend to get something going again?

I just think that it seems to be a stock answer that 'unless members bring it up'. I understand that to an extent, but Christ lads if you can't ask one another a question without it being officially put to the members, there's got to be something wrong.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2010, 08:22:30 am »
I don't recall it coming up as an issue in itself as the main thrust of the Union are the aims and objectives we push about the owners and fan involvement.

I've been around the Committee for 14 months now and I couldn't honestly tell you who, if anyone, was an RTK organiser as frankly as a semi formal group I think it has ceased to function.

Overall due to the fact that the focus has been on other issues it doesn't get any airing at meetings or from members. And again I'd say that we are very conscious of not developing some sort of checklist for fans at Anfield for what to do or not to do.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:15 am »
Echo what Graham has said above. I think as well on atmosphere front its better to innovate rather than to be led as with what happened at the Spurs game.

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2010, 05:15:00 pm »
not sure if this has been posted anywhere but here goes

on radio 909 next weekend they are doing a special about liverpool life and there main subjects are the grans national and also liverpool and everton the advert said it would concentrate on liverpools debt and if the two clubs could ever share a ground. they are asking for people to go on the show and voice there opinions thought this would be a good chance for sos to get some free air time and tell everybody how bad the club is being run.

not got all the details is this something you would be intrested in graham.
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2010, 09:29:10 pm »
not sure if this has been posted anywhere but here goes

on radio 909 next weekend they are doing a special about liverpool life and there main subjects are the grans national and also liverpool and everton the advert said it would concentrate on liverpools debt and if the two clubs could ever share a ground. they are asking for people to go on the show and voice there opinions thought this would be a good chance for sos to get some free air time and tell everybody how bad the club is being run.

not got all the details is this something you would be intrested in graham.

Friday 9th 1-2pm it is. We've already applied for tickets and will be pushing to get more of a say on there like we did with Business of Sport event in Manchester.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2010, 10:50:39 pm »

On this point, has SOS considered a second-level membership? Say, a simple name/address/email group called "Supporters" (or whatever) to distinguish them from paid-up members.

It would be a good way of getting the message out there, directly contacting those who may not be aware of exactly how much trouble we are in and how SOS is helping.

Once more people know this, there would be a better chance of them joining as paid members.

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »
I would like to suggest an all out protest/Leafleting campaign of the Grand National meeting.The number of Americans and other nationalities as well as the tv and press coverage is enourmous.We could even distrupt it.Imagine someone on Beachers brook with a banner!(maybe thats going a bit too far) but it would be good to see a step up before the end of the season.This time next year we could be fighting for fourth from bottom not top!Thoughts on the National?
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:37 pm »
I would like to suggest an all out protest/Leafleting campaign of the Grand National meeting.The number of Americans and other nationalities as well as the tv and press coverage is enourmous.We could even distrupt it.Imagine someone on Beachers brook with a banner!(maybe thats going a bit too far) but it would be good to see a step up before the end of the season.This time next year we could be fighting for fourth from bottom not top!Thoughts on the National?

if we in any way disrupt the national then the press will label us as yobs and it will really damage the great job sos has done to date.

i think we need another pre match protest but this time choose a different route if we start in stanley park and walk past the new consevatory where most of the day trippers will be and up towards annie road where again it will be full of day trippers not having a go at the these people but i dont think the locals are the ones who need educating or being told about sos and the mission. if we were to have people infront of the protest handing out leaflets then people who were unaware of previous protests will  be able to see and hopefully understand what we are trying to achieve
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2010, 11:23:25 pm »
On this point, has SOS considered a second-level membership? Say, a simple name/address/email group called "Supporters" (or whatever) to distinguish them from paid-up members.

It would be a good way of getting the message out there, directly contacting those who may not be aware of exactly how much trouble we are in and how SOS is helping.

Once more people know this, there would be a better chance of them joining as paid members.

We have done. It would have to get voted in by the membership, but we basically couldn't afford to do it. MUST did it and paid membership dropped and we couldn't run to the same level we do now. We are thinking of other things all the time to raise more interest.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46:37 pm »
So the idea of a matchday boycott has been proposed but then dismissed because the SOS don't believe there would be enough people in favour of it.

I find it hard to believe that an increasing number of disgruntled reds would not support a boycott like this. With this season being a relative failure, I think this could be the right time to organise a boycott, as there are a lot of fans who are starting to blame the yanks for not giving Rafa any funds over the summer.

Achieving 4th place is already looking difficult. If we don't beat Birmingham on Sunday and other results go against us, the chances of qualifying will be even slimmer. A proposed boycott on Monday 19th April against West Ham might get more support if the season is looking like a write off and the match is on ESPN anyway - good for TV coverage of the actual boycott, and good for everyone so they can still watch the game. I don't think tickets for that go on sale until 5th April, so there's enough time for a bit of publicity as well.

I think it would be useful to know what proportion of fans would actually support a boycott. It's not a simple case of YES or NO, it's about asking people if they would be prepared to boycott if they knew it would actually help. Too many people seem to be against it simply because they don't believe it would work, or because they are convinced other people would buy the tickets instead. But nobody will know for sure until they try. Weeknight games are not always sell outs anyway. Anyway, I think a poll is needed on a few forums. I would do it myself, but it will have more effect if it's from a recognised SOS member.

Any thoughts (not just SOS) from anyone?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2010, 04:27:42 pm »
So the idea of a matchday boycott has been proposed but then dismissed because the SOS don't believe there would be enough people in favour of it.

I find it hard to believe that an increasing number of disgruntled reds would not support a boycott like this. With this season being a relative failure, I think this could be the right time to organise a boycott, as there are a lot of fans who are starting to blame the yanks for not giving Rafa any funds over the summer.

Achieving 4th place is already looking difficult. If we don't beat Birmingham on Sunday and other results go against us, the chances of qualifying will be even slimmer. A proposed boycott on Monday 19th April against West Ham might get more support if the season is looking like a write off and the match is on ESPN anyway - good for TV coverage of the actual boycott, and good for everyone so they can still watch the game. I don't think tickets for that go on sale until 5th April, so there's enough time for a bit of publicity as well.

I think it would be useful to know what proportion of fans would actually support a boycott. It's not a simple case of YES or NO, it's about asking people if they would be prepared to boycott if they knew it would actually help. Too many people seem to be against it simply because they don't believe it would work, or because they are convinced other people would buy the tickets instead. But nobody will know for sure until they try. Weeknight games are not always sell outs anyway. Anyway, I think a poll is needed on a few forums. I would do it myself, but it will have more effect if it's from a recognised SOS member.

Any thoughts (not just SOS) from anyone?

It was voted on in our mass meeting in September and it was a massive majority against it. It needs the support before you can do it and that support will need to be bigger than the SOS membership as well. Chants don't really get going during the game at the minute because people want to support the team so a boycott is going to be difficult to achieve. If there was the support for it more then its something that we would work on.

On the point of west ham game, that will most probably be the game with minutes silence for Hillsborough so would be a definite no to any boycott at that.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2010, 04:58:37 pm »
It was voted on in our mass meeting in September and it was a massive majority against it. It needs the support before you can do it and that support will need to be bigger than the SOS membership as well. Chants don't really get going during the game at the minute because people want to support the team so a boycott is going to be difficult to achieve. If there was the support for it more then its something that we would work on.

On the point of west ham game, that will most probably be the game with minutes silence for Hillsborough so would be a definite no to any boycott at that.
Fair enough about the reasons why - and of course the 19th would be a bad time to do it.

Are you not interested in a poll every so often to measure how people's attitudes are changing?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
Fair enough about the reasons why - and of course the 19th would be a bad time to do it.

Are you not interested in a poll every so often to measure how people's attitudes are changing?

Someone could start a poll on RAWK if they wanted, but has to be a poll which has options like

I am a ST holder and I will boycott
I am a ST holder and I wont boycott
I am a regular match goer and I will boycott

and so on ...

Obviously its important with any poll done that we would actually know how many 'seats' would not be taken with it rather than the number that support the boycott.

Also, it depends on the objectives of such a boycott as well as boycotting a league game will mean that the ST holders will have already handed over their cash to pay for their seat whereas others have the option not to as well.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:11 pm »
Someone could start a poll on RAWK if they wanted........
Sarge? SARGE?!

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »
Sarge? SARGE?!
Hes never bloody there when you need him

;D

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »
I think its fair to say that the right ideas are in place but its all about numbers. 4500 members is a good whack but small percentage in relation to our fan base. Currently not a member but soon will be.

H&G will see SOS as a minority pain in the arse. I bet there are over 100,000 names on our database with ST holders and waiting lists and fan cards,  not to mention all the names and addresses from merchandise purchased through the club shop.

SOS with tens of thousands of members will be noticed but until the numbers increase and that percentage increases above 4.5% (hyperthetical) the union is a minority. They must look at all the names and addresses and think small fry.
4.5% of anything is a minority.

If you owned a company and 4.5% of your customers were pissed off would you be arsed, nope as the 95.5% are happy.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2010, 10:13:31 pm »
I think its fair to say that the right ideas are in place but its all about numbers. 4500 members is a good whack but small percentage in relation to our fan base. Currently not a member but soon will be.

H&G will see SOS as a minority pain in the arse. I bet there are over 100,000 names on our database with ST holders and waiting lists and fan cards,  not to mention all the names and addresses from merchandise purchased through the club shop.

SOS with tens of thousands of members will be noticed but until the numbers increase and that percentage increases above 4.5% (hyperthetical) the union is a minority. They must look at all the names and addresses and think small fry.
4.5% of anything is a minority.

If you owned a company and 4.5% of your customers were pissed off would you be arsed, nope as the 95.5% are happy.

Wouldn't quite say the other 95.5% are happy and with having meetings with Purslow and Ayre they know what we can do even if we are the minority. Despite being the minority though we are the biggest mobilised force against Hicks and Gillett. They are hoping our fanbase stays divided. We need to work together more and then we can achieve greater things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2010, 06:42:44 am »
We have done. It would have to get voted in by the membership, but we basically couldn't afford to do it. MUST did it and paid membership dropped and we couldn't run to the same level we do now. We are thinking of other things all the time to raise more interest.

Good. Paid membership means something - the focus should be on encouraging people to sign up and commit, not just seeing who can reach the highest meaningless number of online "supporters".
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline rob5564

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »
 I wonder if the joining fee at a tenner puts people off. How about temporarily reducing the joining fee, perhaps to a fiver for one month, advertise it across all the boards and see whether there is a increase in sign ups?
The fee, at 10 quid I agree is not excessive but if the number of people signing up has levelled off then perhaps it is for the majority?

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »
I wonder if the joining fee at a tenner puts people off. How about temporarily reducing the joining fee, perhaps to a fiver for one month, advertise it across all the boards and see whether there is a increase in sign ups?
The fee, at 10 quid I agree is not excessive but if the number of people signing up has levelled off then perhaps it is for the majority?
I seriously doubt that £5 will make any difference.

If people really believed in what SOS were doing then they'd happily pay more - I know I would.

What is £5 anyway 1-2 pints of decent lager?

If people aren't willing to forego that to support the cause then they clearly don't believe very strongly in it.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2010, 01:16:01 pm »

The £10 barely covers all the admin costs. It wouldn't pay us to. And membership hasn't levelled off. Its increasing at a quicker rate than previously with over a 10% increase in members in the last month alone.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »

If people can't be arsed to stump up a tenner to save the club they'll be about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:58 pm »
The £10 barely covers all the admin costs. It wouldn't pay us to. And membership hasn't levelled off. Its increasing at a quicker rate than previously with over a 10% increase in members in the last month alone.
Has the advertising campaign produced many new members Paul?

Btw I saw a couple on Sunday before the game and they definately look the part.