Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 331788 times)

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rhian Brewster
« Reply #1840 on: August 2, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »
The loan spell and getting all those minutes on the field completed his rehabilitation from a terrible double injury and 4 operations. I don't think he'll go out on loan now. He'll have to come in and compete with the other front 3 back up players and try to push to the front of the queue.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1841 on: August 2, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »
The loan spell and getting all those minutes on the field completed his rehabilitation from a terrible double injury and 4 operations. I don't think he'll go out on loan now. He'll have to come in and compete with the other front 3 back up players and try to push to the front of the queue.

That's how I see it. Hopefully, Klopp see it that way as well.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1842 on: August 2, 2020, 04:48:16 pm »
He struggled badly in his few cameos early last season, totally understandable given his age and injuries, but then hit the ground running in the championship. Maybe he developed a lot in his last month or two with us but his sudden burst of form seems down to how poor the championship is as much as anything.

While we don't have any backups that can touch the quality of the starting three, Origi is a proven scorer with a ton of pace and power, Shaqiri is a proven scorer who interplays well with the rest of the team and Minamino uses the ball well and presses well but has some issues with the physical side. For Brewster to force his way into consideration he'll need to show a bit of everything in my opinion, he'll need to press, score goals, pass well and show a good amount of pace and physicality.

Given there are some truly poor strikers in the PL the ideal situation would be for him to go on loan to a lower level club, unfortunately most will be fighting for survival and aren't likely to give him a ton of minutes over more experienced options, he's in that awkward spot now where a championship loan will only help so much and he probably isn't good enough to be a core player for us yet.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: August 2, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
^^^^

Feel like Sheffield United could be a *potential* good landing spot for a loan for Rhian, if Klopp wants to loan him out. A club that never came close to fighting in a relegation scrap this season but is in a desperate need of goals. Plus, Wilder is a class act and a good manager.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1844 on: August 2, 2020, 05:07:09 pm »
^^^^

Feel like Sheffield United could be a *potential* good landing spot for a loan for Rhian, if Klopp wants to loan him out. A club that never came close to fighting in a relegation scrap this season but is in a desperate need of goals. Plus, Wilder is a class act and a good manager.

Yeah Sheffield would be a good shout. Also as much as I don't like Bruce, Newcastle would be a good destination too with Joelinton, Almiron and Saint-Maximin behind him (only Gayle for competition there). Palace a maybe too with Zaha and Ayew their only real scorers.

With next season being a more compressed season there's going to be a few smaller squads struggling with all of the games, the big question is whether any would be willing to play a young loanee regularly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1845 on: August 2, 2020, 05:23:07 pm »
I would maybe agree if he was scoring easy chances but very few if any were.I also think that the development we have seen came during his training sessions,we didn't let him go out in the summer for a reason,Klopp was schooling him and keeping an eye on his injuries & I don't think we should risk him picking up bad habits at a lesser side.

Fuck sending him to Newcastle,those twats don't deserve the steam off our piss.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1846 on: August 2, 2020, 05:27:26 pm »
^^^^

They barely create anything though and are often negative as fuck despite the wanking over overlapping centre backs. I don't think it'd be a good fit. Loans are tough now, too good for the championship, the better teams outside of the CL have Vardy, Kane, Jimenez etc so that's a no, then you've got teams that dont create anything like Burnley, Palace, Sheff Utd, then mostly a load of crap that can't create anything even if they wanted to. I think Leeds wouldn't be so bad, they had Arsenal penned in for 45mins at the Emirates in the cup and will give it a go in most games with Bielsa but I'd rather just keep him.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: August 2, 2020, 05:34:00 pm »
They barely create anything though and are often negative as fuck despite the wanking over overlapping centre backs. I don't think it'd be a good fit. Loans are tough now, too good for the championship, the better teams outside of the CL have Vardy, Kane, Jimenez etc so that's a no, then you've got teams that dont create anything like Burnley, Palace, Sheff Utd, then mostly a load of crap that can't create anything even if they wanted to. I think Leeds wouldn't be so bad, they had Arsenal penned in for 45mins at the Emirates in the cup and will give it a go in most games with Bielsa but I'd rather just keep him.

And will need another keeper.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Allezallezallez10

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1848 on: August 2, 2020, 06:00:42 pm »

Lets hope the confidence he has built up & consistency with regular game time takes him to the next step with us.
Klopp clearly sees something & could be a great impact player from the bench.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1849 on: August 2, 2020, 08:02:10 pm »
11 goals in 22 games for Swansea is good stuff. It will be tricky for him to get games. In particular if we keep Origi. 0.5 goals/game is really promising and something to build on. Will be interesting to see what Klopp decides.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1850 on: August 2, 2020, 08:51:58 pm »
If Brewster is to go out on loan again I think it needs to be to a top flight club, either here or one of the major leagues, possibly Germany. I don’t think another year in the Championship would do much for his development. Ideally he will stay with us and have a breakthrough season, if he’s going to develop into a top player for us it will have to be in the next year or two.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #1851 on: August 3, 2020, 02:49:07 am »

Leeds need a good striker, and their setup in terms of Bielsa's approach to the game is as close as you'll get to Klopp's and Liverpool's - with the high-intensity pressing and a "similar" approach to attacking. If he's not at Liverpool next season and is out on loan instead, I think Leeds makes a lot of sense.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1852 on: August 3, 2020, 07:08:26 am »
I hope he stays. I feel if enters the revolving door of loans he'll never escape and will eventually be sold. Origi came back from loans (despite not pulling up trees) to establish himself but that is the rare exception. Everyone else sent on loan will almost certainly be sold. Klopp isn't loaning out Jones and Jones' path to the first team is equally (if not more so) challenging than Brewster's.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1853 on: August 3, 2020, 08:23:49 am »
I hope he stays. I feel if enters the revolving door of loans he'll never escape and will eventually be sold. Origi came back from loans (despite not pulling up trees) to establish himself but that is the rare exception. Everyone else sent on loan will almost certainly be sold. Klopp isn't loaning out Jones and Jones' path to the first team is equally (if not more so) challenging than Brewster's.

Jones was getting loaned to Leeds until he scored that winder goal against the bitters.

We need to stop thinking that if you go out loan that's the end of your Liverpool future because it isn't.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: August 3, 2020, 08:38:04 am »
Jones was getting loaned to Leeds until he scored that winder goal against the bitters.

We need to stop thinking that if you go out loan that's the end of your Liverpool future because it isn't.
Until we start creating a delibrate pathway of academy>loans>first team it kind of is though. Even players signed then loaned like Grujic don't seem to have that. From what I remember Origi coming back in following his loan wasn't planned either, we just couldn't shift him that summer.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1855 on: August 3, 2020, 10:11:06 am »
The sources on that don't seem to be reliable.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1856 on: August 3, 2020, 10:11:56 am »
Fordy IS the source...or is on the sauce.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1857 on: August 3, 2020, 10:13:57 am »
The sources on that don't seem to be reliable.

Plus Klopp really doesn't strike me as someone who'd base decisions on a single event. I doubt he'd loan Jones if the ball was 2cm higher and hit the crossbar.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1858 on: August 3, 2020, 10:17:37 am »
Fordy IS the source...or is on the sauce.

It’s honestly ridiculous now. No one doubts Big Dog when he updates us on Harrison Reed, and yet Fordy is treated with contempt despite his numerous proven winners and general intelligence.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #1859 on: August 3, 2020, 10:31:23 am »
I hope that Brewster sticks around. For me, he showed more than enough at Swansea to suggest he can be an option for us next season. Also, you could argue that the only thing holding him back is that he isn't enough like a Firmino type player to perhaps fit in this team, but he said in an interview last year that he's trying to learn to be, which will be much easier to do if he's training here every day instead of with some garbage like Villa or West Brom.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1860 on: August 3, 2020, 07:06:06 pm »
ScoutNation

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0mQ-JjUmmLY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0mQ-JjUmmLY</a>

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1861 on: August 5, 2020, 08:20:16 pm »
Two TAW contributors suggesting he’s an “on the shoulder” striker.

I’m not being funny - where does that impression come from? They said it was “from the goals they’d seen”. I don’t think I saw more than one through ball and convert in the Swansea goals and other footage.

Two others, to be fair, seeing a more rounded skill set, including Dan Morgan, who as far as I’m concerned understands football.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1862 on: August 6, 2020, 09:15:36 am »
Two TAW contributors suggesting he’s an “on the shoulder” striker.

I’m not being funny - where does that impression come from? They said it was “from the goals they’d seen”. I don’t think I saw more than one through ball and convert in the Swansea goals and other footage.

Two others, to be fair, seeing a more rounded skill set, including Dan Morgan, who as far as I’m concerned understands football.

Even if he were an 'on the shoulder' striker at 20 he is still young enough to be moulded into whatever we need.
How old was Henry when he was converted from a winger into a out and out striker?
How old was Firmino when he was converted from a support striker into a false 9?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: August 6, 2020, 11:59:15 am »
Even if he were an 'on the shoulder' striker at 20 he is still young enough to be moulded into whatever we need.
How old was Henry when he was converted from a winger into a out and out striker?
How old was Firmino when he was converted from a support striker into a false 9?

Speaking of which, IIRC Steve Morrow played on the shoulder, although not for long.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: August 6, 2020, 12:43:52 pm »
He's done well at Swansea. Looks like he could play on the left of a front 3 and perhaps be a backup to Mo? He certainly has pace and trickery and a pretty good opportunistic finisher. I'm sure being on the bench behind Mane and Salah isn't a bad thing. He'll definitely get some minutes and even some starts in cup games and if he takes his chances will be rewarded with more opportunities as Klopp as shown he does with youngsters.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: August 6, 2020, 01:40:53 pm »
The 5 sub rule has been rejected so less slots off the bench to get minutes. That may well factor into Klopp's thinking for the coming season.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1866 on: August 6, 2020, 04:03:31 pm »
ScoutNation

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0mQ-JjUmmLY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0mQ-JjUmmLY</a>

Out of all the goals covered here, I think the one that tells me this kid is something special is the one he sweeps wide of the keeper with his left foot into the corner. Finds a great position inside the area and just puts it away instinctively. He has to come back into the fold now. He's ready. In a funny way, Greenwood's explosion on to the scene will act as an incentive to Rhian. He won't want another loan, he wants Jurgen to deliver whatever he promised that stopped him signing for the Germans
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1867 on: August 6, 2020, 06:26:26 pm »
My favorite Brewster goal is the next one he scores for Liverpool.. 8)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1868 on: August 7, 2020, 02:00:01 am »
He's done well at Swansea. Looks like he could play on the left of a front 3 and perhaps be a backup to Mo? He certainly has pace and trickery and a pretty good opportunistic finisher. I'm sure being on the bench behind Mane and Salah isn't a bad thing. He'll definitely get some minutes and even some starts in cup games and if he takes his chances will be rewarded with more opportunities as Klopp as shown he does with youngsters.

I don't think he's that tricky or fast to be honest.

If anything it looks like his qualities are closest aligned to Bobby, in that he's got great work rate and movement, drops deep to get involved and build play, but potentially is a bit better at finishing. I think if we expected him to do something similar to Mo in terms of using his pace, I think we'd be disappointed.

To put it another way, he's maybe a slightly more physical, but less technical and tactically astute version of Takumi. Neither of them are really analogous to Sadio or Mo in the current system because they don't have terrifying pace or ball carrying skills. That's probably a reason why even though we Ox is in no way a good replacement for Sadio or Mo either, he sometimes gets the nod ahead of others - because of all of our other attackers, he's the one that can dribble at speed.

I reckon he'll stay if we don't get anyone, but if we get Sarr for example, he'll go back on loan. There just wouldn't be enough minutes between him, Takumi and Curtis.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2020, 02:10:01 am by Redcap »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1869 on: August 7, 2020, 02:43:57 am »
He's special. I watched his goals and were brilliant.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #1870 on: August 7, 2020, 04:17:53 am »
I don't think he's that tricky or fast to be honest.

If anything it looks like his qualities are closest aligned to Bobby, in that he's got great work rate and movement, drops deep to get involved and build play, but potentially is a bit better at finishing. I think if we expected him to do something similar to Mo in terms of using his pace, I think we'd be disappointed.

To put it another way, he's maybe a slightly more physical, but less technical and tactically astute version of Takumi. Neither of them are really analogous to Sadio or Mo in the current system because they don't have terrifying pace or ball carrying skills. That's probably a reason why even though we Ox is in no way a good replacement for Sadio or Mo either, he sometimes gets the nod ahead of others - because of all of our other attackers, he's the one that can dribble at speed.

I reckon he'll stay if we don't get anyone, but if we get Sarr for example, he'll go back on loan. There just wouldn't be enough minutes between him, Takumi and Curtis.

I don’t think he’s competing with Jones in the least. Minamino sure, but Jones has and will play in the midfield 3 rather than the front 3.
You’ve just outlined here a pretty convincing case for keeping Brewster around as Bobby’s understudy. Just as we have bemoaned our lack of equivalent pacy wide forward options behind Mo and Sadio, we have looked far from our fluid best without Bobby in between them. Brewster has similar traits, and if can learn from the best here then he should stay here.
Where it gets tricky is in Origi’s case. He has played from the left and centrally and never really seems to mesh with our overall system. He provides some physicality and has obviously chipped in with some massive goals, but we could see this as a time to move on from him if we get the right offer imo. If so, we keep Brewster AND look to bring in a more traditional pacy wide player I think.

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #1871 on: August 7, 2020, 07:34:01 am »
My impressions before he went out on loan were primarily from the pre-season friendlies and I was impressed by his ability to drop outside the box as others bombed into the box and connect the play. Prior to this I had only seen him play via a few youth team highlights and in the U17 World Cup.

I wasn't sure about the hype as Foden, Sancho and Hudson-Odoi have different games to Brewster with their flair and flamboyance, which has obviously helped them to stand out. In addition to this we have had youth strikers who ripped it up as kids but flattered to deceive at the top level, examples being Linfield and Mellor, we've also seen Solanke struggle in recent years.

We could all see in pre-season despite the positive displays he obviously wasn't ready. He had a couple of nice poacher goals albeit against low-quality opposition and some nice link up play all while recovering from a major injury.

While out on loan I've kept a close eye on him and he's come on leaps and bounds. The more game time he has recieved the better he has been. You can see him growing into a man the more you watch him. He has pleasantly surprised me with his variety of finishing, he's scored both the classy goals and the poacher goals we typically associate with an Inzaghi-type player. Another positive is that his shots are coming off his boots much cleaner than they were a few months back.

I hope we either get him a Premier League loan or we keep him here for the first half of the season. He doesn't have to be a world-beater for us, rather we need him to be a role-player for now while practicing against top caliber players and continuing to learn his trade.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: August 7, 2020, 07:34:14 am »
I can see some elements of Bobby's game in this lad. Determined player who works hard and fights for the team, bit of flair, scores a goal and has the attitude of sacrificing himself for the team. If he can keep getting stronger and and spend next season shadowing Bobby I think he could improve a lot.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1874 on: August 10, 2020, 05:36:34 am »
It is worrying how Klopp and the club are hinting that they will not spend substantial sums this transfer window and we have no one who can come in to do a similar job as Mane and Salah. If they get injured or suspended, our attack will be severely hampered. Brewster and Minamino cannot replace them as they do not have the pace and Origi has not shown that he can either. While we have been very blessed when it comes to those two getting injured, if we go into another season without providing quality alternatives to them for more depth, we may yet rue the failure to sign either Sancho or Werner.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 05:38:09 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #1875 on: August 10, 2020, 08:04:25 am »
It is worrying how Klopp and the club are hinting that they will not spend substantial sums this transfer window and we have no one who can come in to do a similar job as Mane and Salah. If they get injured or suspended, our attack will be severely hampered. Brewster and Minamino cannot replace them as they do not have the pace and Origi has not shown that he can either. While we have been very blessed when it comes to those two getting injured, if we go into another season without providing quality alternatives to them for more depth, we may yet rue the failure to sign either Sancho or Werner.
Rubbish. Play Origi as a proper centre forward and he'll get 15 goals a season. Instead of shoe-horning him in as Mané or Salah`s replacement, Klopp should and might consider occasionally using a lineup similar to the one versus Everton last December for the sake of rotation. We don't need to sell Origi; just let him play in his most natural position and be open to playing a  slightly different style of football from time to time.

What's the point of even mentioning Sancho? Klopp has never been the type to buy 100 million pound players and yet we've just won the league and went to 2 successive CL finals. The moment we start buying over-priced superstars to compete is when we've lost our way as a club.

Werner was so impatient he pushed through a move abroad at a time when his club got into a CL quarterfinal and probably needed him. No proof his PL striker career will produce the same numbers he did in the Bundesliga either, but it's mostly because of his impatience why I  can't see Klopp wanting this character in our dressing room.

Brewster and Elliot are still learning their trade. They need time and Klopp is right to keep the door ajar for them.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1876 on: August 15, 2020, 05:12:11 pm »
“Of course I want to be at Liverpool next season,” Brewster said. “I want to be fighting for a spot to play. Who is not going to want to play at the home of the champions?

“You don’t really want to go on loan but if that’s the best thing for me to do in that situation to get more game, then that is what I’m going to do.

“But, realistically I want to play for Liverpool. I want to be ‘the striker’ so I’m obviously just going to go to Evian [now Austria] and work hard and do what I can.

“Whatever the boss says that I need to do I’m going to accept, whether that is to stay or go back on loan – I’m going to accept it.”

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/08/rhian-brewster-vows-to-fight-for-liverpool-spot-as-he-looks-to-make-a-splash-in-austria/amp/

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: August 15, 2020, 05:51:52 pm »
Interesting. I thought he said he wanted to go on loan again. I think it's good he wants to fight for his place. He has a few weeks to convince Klopp before the season kicks off.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1878 on: August 15, 2020, 06:49:24 pm »
He's special. I watched his goals and were brilliant.

Agreed but some of those keepers are not!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: August 15, 2020, 06:50:21 pm »
Agreed but some of those keepers are not!

They were pretty special  ;D