Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 236390 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #160 on: November 1, 2020, 11:43:50 am »
Degsy without the injuries. If he's happy to play that role with guarantee games against the likes of Burnley, West Brom and the Ev, he's a good 4th choice. Problem being he's likely to be attracting interest now. Solid debut and he will improve.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #161 on: November 1, 2020, 11:46:31 am »
He did really well and hes very good in the air ... he also looked pretty terrible on the ball
Hopefully he doesn’t have to play too much but he’s an okay ish option when we’re in crisis especially if the opposition play a target man style set up.... zero interest in seeing him vs City

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 1, 2020, 12:33:14 pm »
Pleased for the lad.

Not sure it was as exceptional a performance as being suggested, but it was a solid 7/10 performance. And frankly, given the circumstances, I'd be happy to take that from this makeshift defence more weeks than not.

Nice confidence booster for City (if Matip and Fab are out), where you'd expect if we are to win, it will need to be an 8+/10 performance.

Edit:

Not that I'm saying that he did much wrong. I just don't feel he was troubled all too much either. Done what was asked of him.
I mean the stats sort of speak for themselves in this regard. He did a lot to keep West Ham quiet. Aggressive performance that negated the way they wanted to play.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #163 on: November 1, 2020, 01:39:52 pm »
We had 10 players on the pitch yesterday who are all top class ball players.

What we desperately needed against a Moyes outfit was someone who was aerial dominant. Not just average but dominant. We saw Fabinho and Gomez struggle against similar tactics against Sheffield Utd.

From winning the first header of the match Nat went from strength to strength passing the ball to the many stars around him. He filled the aerial gap left by Virgil even if he didn’t replicate his passing ability.

He was 10/10 for doing the job that was required and will be used again I guarantee.
Could of let nerves get the better of him but he was determined to show he could play there.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 1, 2020, 01:54:00 pm »
He did really well and hes very good in the air ... he also looked pretty terrible on the ball
Hopefully he doesn’t have to play too much but he’s an okay ish option when we’re in crisis especially if the opposition play a target man style set up.... zero interest in seeing him vs City

Same here. His lack of pace against City would be a problem.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: November 1, 2020, 02:35:07 pm »
Degsy without the injuries. If he's happy to play that role with guarantee games against the likes of Burnley, West Brom and the Ev, he's a good 4th choice. Problem being he's likely to be attracting interest now. Solid debut and he will improve.
Lovren was quite a bit better all-round...

I think Phillips will be a good 4th choice, as you say.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #166 on: November 1, 2020, 03:01:03 pm »

He was very good yesterday and he's proved he's an option against certain opposition. I wasn't worried when I saw him in the starting XI vs West Ham and I probably wouldn't be worried if he started against 8-10 of the teams in the league.

But I agree with most of the above. He'll be 5th or 6th choice when everyone is fit. Arguably 4th or 5th this season. Really don't want to see him against the likes of City and if he has to play then I think they would target him (through a high press) and trying to play in and around him. We'd need to protect him in a lot more in these situations.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 1, 2020, 08:00:46 pm »

What we desperately needed against a Moyes outfit was someone who was aerial dominant. Not just average but dominant. We saw Fabinho and Gomez struggle against similar tactics against Sheffield Utd.

From winning the first header of the match Nat went from strength to strength passing the ball to the many stars around him. He filled the aerial gap left by Virgil even if he didn’t replicate his passing ability.

He was 10/10 for doing the job that was required and will be used again I guarantee.
Could of let nerves get the better of him but he was determined to show he could play there.

Yep, got a squad full of fancy dan's. Let's have a couple in the boss' image to take on the long ball merchants and fuck 'em up I say. That's what a squad's for

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #168 on: November 1, 2020, 08:03:35 pm »

He'd be the first on the team sheet against Everton for me. He'd be good in the air against Lewin and mix it with their fancy Dans.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 1, 2020, 09:07:33 pm »
is he similar to Carragher? minus the hoofing perhaps. but his style on the ball looks similar and he seems quite aggressive.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 2, 2020, 05:55:52 am »
is he similar to Carragher? minus the hoofing perhaps. but his style on the ball looks similar and he seems quite aggressive.

Still early days to even form an opinion.

We've to see a little bit more of him.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 2, 2020, 07:34:37 am »
If Matip not back, would have preferred him against Atlanta. But, he is not registered for CL games. Such a shame.
Great debut, and lovely commanding headers.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 2, 2020, 09:01:32 am »
By the way, just to make everyone know.  I guess his nickname is Jeffrey. Shaq called him Jeffrey on social media.

https://i.redd.it/2jeeqstl1ow51.jpg
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #173 on: November 2, 2020, 09:11:01 am »
By the way, just to make everyone know.  I guess his nickname is Jeffrey. Shaq called him Jeffrey on social media.

https://i.redd.it/2jeeqstl1ow51.jpg

So...."Nat" is short for....Jeffrey?
Haha
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #174 on: November 2, 2020, 09:19:49 am »

Up against the more physical/alehouse teams in the league you need that physical presence and someone who can dominate in the air.

Against Atalanta and City the quality on the ball and dealing with quick forwards will be more important. That's where Van Dijk is peerless because he's the best around in the air and on the ground. The closest to him in the league is arguably Matip, it's just getting him on the pitch.

Another key factor is (depending on the opposition's strengths) being able to use Phillips at the back means Fabinho can play in midfield which is an all round net benefit.  Or even that Fabinho doesn't have to start every single game and be more susceptible to muscle injuries playing every 3 days.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2020, 09:26:39 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 2, 2020, 10:30:17 am »
What Fromola said.

Phillips looks very limited on the ball. He gave it away at least a couple of times by passing it straight to the opposition.

Could be a good option when we come up against the yard dogs of this league though. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him used later in games as a third CB too once we have more than one senior CB fit of course.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #176 on: November 2, 2020, 04:04:38 pm »

Phillips looks very limited on the ball. He gave it away at least a couple of times by passing it straight to the opposition.
He did it once, that I can remember, in his first game for ages, and even Van Dijk has done that. If there was another instance I can't remember it. But let's give him a chance before labeling him
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #177 on: November 2, 2020, 04:06:20 pm »
He did it once, that I can remember, in his first game for ages, and even Van Dijk has done that. If there was another instance I can't remember it. But let's give him a chance before labeling him

And Matip and Fabinho have both been a bit disjointed on their first games back as well and often need a couple of games to get up to speed.

Offline ApfelStudel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: November 2, 2020, 04:20:38 pm »
I think he can become better on the ball as he grows in confidence. I really liked what I saw, very no-nonsense old school defender - I like that. I felt very confident that we would deal with anything West Ham threw our way - it could be also because our defenders were not pushing up as much as usual.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 2, 2020, 07:16:31 pm »
What Fromola said.

Could be a good option when we come up against the yard dogs of this league though. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him used later in games as a third CB too once we have more than one senior CB fit of course.

I thought Gomez header out was amateur at best and the one header from Philips had a lot of height and distance to it.  Maybe his distribution is  more limited  at this stage. Heck this was his Anfield debut in Premier League - He do pretty well for a low level - maybe our 5/6 choice CB

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #180 on: November 3, 2020, 08:59:07 pm »
Thought Phillips wasn't registered to play in the CL, but there he is in the Atalanta goal...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #181 on: November 3, 2020, 08:59:45 pm »
Thought Phillips wasn't registered to play in the CL, but there he is in the Atalanta goal...
Shit! He'll be cup-tied for City...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2020, 02:53:05 pm »
Hope he is wrapped up in cotton wool because he is needed.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2020, 02:54:32 pm »
the CB pair will be him and Rhys at this rate

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2020, 08:53:39 pm »
Sad that we can't even play him in Champions League. I think once we qualified for the knock out round, we will see "Billy the kid" and Rhys William as the CB pairing.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2020, 09:20:09 pm »
Here’s your chance big man. What a story it could possibly be.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2020, 10:27:43 pm »
Sad that we can't even play him in Champions League. I think once we qualified for the knock out round, we will see "Billy the kid" and Rhys William as the CB pairing.

We can change up to 3 players in the squad between the  group stage and the first knockout game.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:30 pm »
We can change up to 3 players in the squad between the  group stage and the first knockout game.

I meant for the rest of the group stage match after we have qualified.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2020, 02:53:13 pm »
Absolutely no qualms with him being a fourth choice, thought he was outstanding there.
AHA!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2020, 02:54:33 pm »
Good game today, did everything asked of him.  Doesn't really suit our playstyle but what can you do.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2020, 02:55:36 pm »
Well done lad. He read several situations really well today and he's a beast in the air. Limited in some aspects, but he's more than solid from what we've witnessed so far.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2020, 02:58:27 pm »
Did great. Proper defender. If he was blessed with a bit more pace he'd be a very very good player for us.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2020, 03:05:00 pm »
He seems indestructible and is a good option. Considering the circumstances, he starts in the league when available, given that Matip is in and out and Fabinho is in MF or CB. We will soon need Fabinho in MF the way things are going...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »
He did the best he could do. Lack of pace is a problem at times, but he gave his all and did well in other areas.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2020, 03:08:58 pm »
like him

did well today no arts and farts - took care of business and looked like he enjoys wearing the shirt

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2020, 03:17:19 pm »
I thought Nat played well today, he can certainly do a job for the season.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2020, 03:18:39 pm »
the only positive today

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2020, 03:19:36 pm »
Zero fear of contesting headers and he wins plenty of them.

Looked more confident on the ball today as well
The change is cast

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2020, 03:21:28 pm »
He impressed me more today than on his debut. He really looked much better on the ball, even more mobile. Did really well.