Author Topic: RIP Hughie McIlvanney  (Read 2467 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
RIP Hughie McIlvanney
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:00:41 am »
Shanks’s mate, Stein’s mate, sat on the Celtic bench in Lisbon. The Don.

RIP.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Re: RIP Hughie McIlvanney
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:14:09 am »
RIP

Online MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:21:42 am »
Sad news.

Always associate him with 'The Football Men' documentary about Shanks, Stein and Busby. His voice was made for it.

R.I.P.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:37:29 am »

Ah that`s sad, both he and his brother were big Killie fans, both great writing talents, both gone in the last year or so.

I`ve got a tape of Hugh interviewing Shanks somewhere, it was one of the things that made me curious about Liverpool. Gruff Scots voices evangelising about football.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:01:37 am »
IMMORTALITY FOR CELTIC'S BIG MAN

Today Lisbon is almost, but not quite, back in Portuguese hands at the end of the most hysterically exuberant occupation any city has ever known. Pockets of Celtic supporters are holding out in unlikely corners, noisily defending their own carnival atmosphere against the returning tide of normality, determined to preserve the moment, to make the party go on and on.

They emerge with a sudden flood of Glasgow accents from taxis or cafes, or let their voices carry with an irresistible aggregate of decibels across hotel lounges. Always, even among the refugees who turn up at the British Embassy bereft of everything but the rumpled clothes they stand in, the talk is of that magical hour-and-a-half under the hot sun on Thursday in the breathtaking, tree-fringed amphitheatre of the national stadium.

Clean sweep

At the airport, the impression is of a Dunkirk with happiness. The discomforts of mass evacuation are tolerable when your team have just won the greatest victory yet achieved by a British football club, and completed a clean sweep of the trophies available to them that has never been equalled anywhere in the world.

They even cheered Helenio Herrera and his shattered Inter when the Italians left for Milan yesterday evening. "Inter, Inter, Inter." The chant resounded convincingly through the departure lounge, but no one was misled. In that mood, overflowing with conquerors' magnanimity they might have given Scot Symon a round of applause.

Typically, within a minute the same happily dishevelled groups were singing: "Ee Aye Addio, Herrera's on the Buroo." The suggestion that the most highly paid manager in Europe is likely to be queueing at the Labour Exchange is rather wild but the comment emphasised that even the least analytical fan had seen through the hectic excitement of a unique performance to the essential meaning of the event.

Mundo Desportivo of Lisbon put it another way: "It was inevitable. Sooner or later the Inter of Herrera, the Inter of catenaccio, of negative football, of marginal victories, had to pay for their refusal to play entertaining football." The Portuguese rejoiced over the magnificent style in which Celtic had taken retribution on behalf of the entire game.

A few of us condemned Herrera unequivocally two years ago after Inter had won the European Cup at their own San Siro Stadium by defending with neurotic caution to protect a luckily gained one-goal lead against a Benfica side with only nine fit men. But he continued to receive around £30,000 a year for stifling the flair, imagination, boldness and spontaneity that make football what it is. And he was still held in awe by people who felt that the statistics of his record justified the sterility of his methods.

Now, however, nearly everyone appreciates the dangers of his influence. The twelfth European Cup final showed how shabbily his philosophy compares with the dynamically positive thinking of Jock Stein. Before the match Stein told me:

"Inter will play it defensively. That's their way and it's their business. But we feel we have a duty to play the game our way, and our way is to attack. Win or lose, we want to make the game worth remembering. Just to be involved in an occasion like this is a tremendous honour and we think it puts an obligation on us. We can be as hard and professional as anybody, but I mean it when I say that we don't just want to win this cup. We want to win it playing good football, to make neutrals glad we've done it, glad to remember how we did it."

Vital positions

The effects of such thinking, and of Stein's genius for giving it practical expression, were there for all the football world to see on Thursday. Of course, he has wonderful players, a team without a serious weakness and with tremendous strengths in vital positions. But when one had eulogised the exhilarating speed and the bewildering variety of skills that destroyed Inter – the unshakable assurance of Clark, the murderously swift overlapping of the full-backs, the creative energy of Auld in midfield, the endlessly astonishing virtuosity of Johnstone, the intelligent and ceaseless running of Chalmers – even with all this, ultimately the element that impressed most profoundly was the massive heart of this Celtic side.

Nothing symbolised it more vividly than the incredible display of Gemmell. He was almost on his knees with fatigue before scoring that minute but somehow his courage forced him to go on dredging up the strength to continue with the exhausting runs along the left wing that did more than any other single factor to demoralise Inter.

Gemmell has the same aggressive pride, the same contempt for any thought of defeat, that emanates from Auld. Before the game Auld cut short a discussion about the possible ill-effects of the heat and the firm ground with a blunt declaration that they would lick the Italians in any conditions.

When he had been rescued from the delirious crowd and was walking back to the dressing rooms after Celtic had overcome all the bad breaks to vindicate his confidence Auld – naked to the waist except for an Inter shirt knotted round his neck like a scarf – suddenly stopped in his tracks and shouted to Ronnie Simpson, who was walking ahead:

"Hey, Ronnie Simpson, what are we? What are we, son?" He stood there sweating, showing his white teeth between parched lips flecked with saliva. Then he answered his own question with a belligerent roar. "We're the greatest. That's what we are. The greatest." Simpson came running back and they embraced for a full minute.

Stein's heart
In the dressing room, as the other players unashamedly sang their supporters' songs in the showers and drank champagne from the huge Cup ("Have you had a bevy out of this?"), Auld leaned forward to Sean Fallon, the trainer, and asked with mock seriousness: "Would you say I was the best? Was I your best man?"

"They've all got Stein's heart," said a Glasgow colleague. "There's a bit of the big man in all of them." Certainly the preparation for this final and the winning of it were impregnated with Stein's personality. Whether warning the players against exposing themselves to the sun ("I don't even want you near the windows in your rooms. If there's as much as a freckle on any man's arm he's for home") or joking with reporters beside the hotel swimming pool in Estoril, his was the all-pervading influence.

Despite the extreme tension he must have felt, he never lost the bantering humour that keeps the morale of his expeditions unfailingly high. The impact of the Celtic invasion on the local Catholic churches was a rewarding theme for him. "They're getting some gates since we came. The nine o'clock and ten o'clock Masses were all-ticket. They've had to get extra plates. How do they divide the takings here? Is it fifty-fifty or in favour of the home club?"

Ecstatic praise
It was hard work appearing so relaxed and the effort eventually took its toll on Stein when he made a dive for the dressing rooms a minute before the end of the game, unable to stand any more. When we reached him there, he kept muttering: "What a performance. What a performance."

It was left to Bill Shankly, the Scottish manager of Liverpool (and the only English club manager present), to supply the summing-up quote. "John," Shankly said with the solemnity of a man to whom football is a religion, "you're immortal."

An elderly Portuguese official cornered Stein and delivered ecstatic praise of Celtic's adventurous approach. "This attacking play, this is the real meaning of football. This is the true game." Stein slapped him on the shoulder. "Go on, I could listen to you all night." Then, turning to the rest of us, "Fancy anybody saying that about a Scottish team."

There is good reason to hope that people will say such things about Scottish and English clubs with increasing frequency in the near future. Now that the Continental monopoly of the European Cup has been broken, British football is poised for a period of domination.

Glasgow Rangers can strike the next blow when they meet Bayern Munich in the final of the European Cup for Cup Winners at Nurnberg next Wednesday. Scot Symon has rebuilt his Rangers team with patient thoroughness this season, and their thrilling draw with Celtic at Ibrox three weeks ago confirmed how far they have come. Spurred by their great rivals' achievement, they will not be easily denied.

Continental clubs can expect no respite next season when the powerful challenge from Scotland will be backed by the presence of Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in the two major competitions. It seems unlikely that anything short of the personal intervention of De Gaulle can prevent us from being in among the European prizes again.

The Master. RIP.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:57 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53TaTp5N4sw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53TaTp5N4sw</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:01 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:58:51 am by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:27 am »
Sad news.

Always associate him with 'The Football Men' documentary about Shanks, Stein and Busby. His voice was made for it.

R.I.P.

RIP - Fantastic sports journalist

Cant embed but here's the doc on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53TaTp5N4sw

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:41 am »
Used to love reading his stuff.
Thoughts with his friends and family.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 10:19:27 am »
may he rest in peace

what a voice. I remember those documentaries from the mid 90s. Thanks for posting that,

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:50:54 pm »
Sad news but will be remembered for a long time.

A fantastic life well lived.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 12:52:17 pm »
*snip*

Thanks for that, Ray. What a brilliant piece.

I don't know the man as you do guys but I was immediately drawn to THAT wonderful voice of his the first time I heard it (it was the clip posted above with the 3 greatest Scottish managers) years ago. He also narrated some of the greatest teams, managers and players videos for that Sky Sports series and made them instantly better.

RIP
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 01:23:31 pm »
Used to love hearing his voice on documentaries

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 01:36:56 pm »
This man's voice has captivated me since I first heard it on a short documentary about legendary Irish racehorse owner JP McManus back in the early eighties. I hadn't heard of either man at the time (Id actually backed JP's horse Mister Donovan when he won at Cheltenham, just previously, but I didn't give too much thought to who owned horses back in those days, just how fast they ran!). Between the  granite tones of the narrator and the daring bravado of the subject, from a gambling point of view, it was the most stirring and memorable docs of its types that I have personally encountered.

Indeed I have often thought about that documentary and tried to find it on You Tube but to no avail. My recollection is that it was called The Glorious Uncertainty though I have  a small inkling  that JPs nickname of The Sundance Kid (which McIlvaney is credited with giving him) may also have featured in the title.

RIP
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 03:18:44 pm »
He was one of the better journalists always looked out for his articles sorry to hear the news. RIP.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 04:37:58 pm »

A good Obituary from The Grauniad:-

'Hugh McIlvanney obituary'...

Pre-eminent sports journalist who strove for perfection

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/jan/25/hugh-mcilvanney-obituary

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 04:39:42 pm »
That's a real shame. Great journalist.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 04:42:19 pm »
RIP. I still read every article or book of his in that voice, in my head.

A great talent gone.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 06:16:16 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53TaTp5N4sw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53TaTp5N4sw</a>

Thanks for this. A great educational resource for an ever curious American who loves to learn about the history of the game, especially when it has to do with the great man Bill Shankly.

RIP Hughie McIlvanney
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 06:45:09 pm »
Sad news, RIP.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 10:36:47 am »
Fantastic journalist. RIP

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 03:11:00 pm »
Probably the best football writer in the business - British anyway. Like CLR James with cricket, Mcllvanney understood that football is about culture and social history as much as it is about the game itself. No one better explained why football matters than Mcllvaney. I always enjoyed reading him, and listening to that voice too. It's no wonder that he commanded the respect and enjoyed the friendship of men like Shanks, Stein and Busby. RIP Hugh. And thanks.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 05:53:37 pm »
Great is not a term to be used lightly about any professional - and perhaps particularly sports journalism.

He was a truly great journalist, and his writing about boxing was superb; boxing and football were his great loves, and he was a close friend of Mohammed Ali, as well as the great Scots football managers of the 60s and 70s. He was a really lovely bloke too by all accounts.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 08:37:24 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/05/hugh-mcilvanney-johnny-owen-last-fight-vault

This is the article that many of the obituarists are referring to. The last sentence belongs in the highest realms of literature.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 06:00:49 am »
My Grandfather (Celtic supporting Glaswegian) gave me a book with all his best articles in it when I was a teenager. He knew I was Football mad and had an interest in Journalism at the time.  What a fantastic journalist.

RIP.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 08:57:18 am »
His writing was fantastic
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 12:46:45 am »
Does anybody know where I can see part 3 of The Football Men? Youtube is missing parts. First two parts are outstandingly good.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 12:52:24 am »
Amazing journalist
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....