Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 983654 times)

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #3920 on: April 13, 2021, 05:56:14 am »
After tonight's games ...

Leicester (56)

WBA (h)
Crystal Palace (h)
Southampton (a)
Newcastle (h)
Man Utd (a)
Chelsea (a)
Tottenham (h)

West Ham (55)

Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
Burnley (a)
Everton (h)
Brighton (a)
WBA (a)
Southampton (h)

Chelsea (54)

Brighton (h)
West Ham (a)
Fulham (h)
Man City (a)
Arsenal (h)
Leicester (h)
Aston Villa (a)

LFC (52)

Leeds (a)
Newcastle (h)
Man Utd (a)
Southampton (h)
WBA (a)
Burnley (a)
Crystal Palace (h)

Tottenham (49)

Everton (a)
Southampton (h)
Sheffield Utd (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Aston Villa (h)
Leicester (a)

Everton (48)

Tottenham (h)
Arsenal (a)
Aston Villa (h)
West Ham (a)
Sheffield Utd (h)
Wolves (h)
Man City (a)
Aston Villa (a) postponed fixture

While its great that others have a tough run in on paper compared to us, we need to remember the teams in the bottom half of the table have given us more trouble than teams in the top half.. plus our record against United is piss poor..

We need to be top of our game from here on in.. something we haven't managed all season for various reasons..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3921 on: April 13, 2021, 08:08:45 am »
While its great that others have a tough run in on paper compared to us, we need to remember the teams in the bottom half of the table have given us more trouble than teams in the top half.. plus our record against United is piss poor..

We need to be top of our game from here on in.. something we haven't managed all season for various reasons..

Yep. That West Brom and Burnley away trips at the end wont be easy. Also fans may be back for that which could give teams a boost.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3922 on: April 13, 2021, 08:19:07 am »
If West Ham get a result from Chelsea then they are in the driving seat I think. They have some very favourable games.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3923 on: April 13, 2021, 08:28:00 am »
Every team is going to lose 2 or 3.

We need to not lose our heads when it happens to us....

Doubt it, we certainly shouldn't be losing 2 from that lot, 3 would be disgracefully bad.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3924 on: April 13, 2021, 09:29:33 am »
If West Ham get a result from Chelsea then they are in the driving seat I think. They have some very favourable games.

Their games are pretty decent but they feel - as we all do really - like they have a bad result 'in them'. And they've also no experience of this kind of pressure where any dropped point is likely to be seized upon. They're helped with that massively by not having their toxic fanbase present...but at this point I'm still not sure I'd bet on them.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3925 on: April 13, 2021, 10:38:14 am »
Their games are pretty decent but they feel - as we all do really - like they have a bad result 'in them'. And they've also no experience of this kind of pressure where any dropped point is likely to be seized upon. They're helped with that massively by not having their toxic fanbase present...but at this point I'm still not sure I'd bet on them.

They're also not good which helps - their underlying numbers are v. ordinary

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3926 on: April 13, 2021, 10:44:02 am »
They're also not good which helps - their underlying numbers are v. ordinary

They're a team of giants scoring from corners and free kicks every week and with Lingard on a hot streak. Nothing more to them than that, but it was similar with Moyes's Everton that blagged 4th. They've got the momentum.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #3927 on: April 13, 2021, 11:22:28 am »
Leeds is gonna be tough. On a decent run - undefeated in their last four and won their last three (and most importantly, they beat City). Considering the fact that we haven't won four in a row this season, even a draw wouldn't be the worst. A win would put us in a great position, however, especially with United coming up soon after, and that always tends to result in a shite draw.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:24:09 am by zip »
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3928 on: April 13, 2021, 11:30:11 am »
Leeds is gonna be tough. On a decent run - undefeated in their last four and won their last three (and most importantly, they beat City). Considering the fact that we haven't won four in a row this season, even a draw wouldn't be the worst. A win would put us in a great position, however, especially with United coming up soon after, and that always tends to result in a shite draw.

It'll be tough but they're also set up in a way that we can really exploit, as was the case with Leipzig. Really wouldn't surprise me if we went there and put 4 or 5 past them. But, if we concede first, we could be in a bit of a pickle.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3929 on: April 13, 2021, 02:05:42 pm »
Think we probably need 16 points (W5 D1 L1) to get top 4. 68 points might just be about enough. Arguable that a point or 2 either way be be needed for 4th.

Whilst we are definitely in the mix and our fixtures in the main look reasonable on paper, I still think 16 points from 7 games is a big ask. With some improved form we have 12 points from the last 6. We'd need to improve slightly on this and basically rule out the possibility of us throwing in a poor performance every 2-3 games.

The worry I have looking at the fixtures is Leicester and the fact that despite coming off 2 defeats, them getting 9 points off the next 4 games looks realistic on paper. At that point they could be well on their way to 68 points, even if their last 3 games look difficult.

Can't help but think over the last few weeks that the most damaging result we had in our very poor run since Xmas was the 3-1 at Leicester. Played well and game looked in the bag until the last 10-15 games. Even a draw in that game would put a hugely different spin on the challenge we currently face.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:07:54 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3930 on: April 13, 2021, 02:18:12 pm »
Can't help but think over the last few weeks that the most damaging result we had in our very poor run since Xmas was the 3-1 at Leicester. Played well and game looked in the bag until the last 10-15 games. Even a draw in that game would put a hugely different spin on the challenge we currently face.

Those shit-on-a-stick 1-goal losses against bottom-half teams is the killer for me. Draw 2 or 3 of those and our chances now would look different.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3931 on: April 13, 2021, 09:02:06 pm »

Those shit-on-a-stick 1-goal losses against bottom-half teams is the killer for me. Draw 2 or 3 of those and our chances now would look different.

If we'd won a few of those games as we'd have expected to (Everton/Fulham/Burnley/Brighton) and perhaps drew with City then the activity would be on the race for number 20 thread querying where City might slip up, as opposed to dissecting West Ham's last 7 games as we try and blag a place back in the top 4.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3932 on: April 13, 2021, 09:34:57 pm »
As poor as we’ve been if we’d had the 4 extra points we should have had off the back of those Everton and Brighton decisions and maybe a draw Leicester so 5 better off (and Leicester two worse off) we’d be looking fairly comfortable.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3933 on: April 14, 2021, 03:09:41 am »
As poor as we’ve been if we’d had the 4 extra points we should have had off the back of those Everton and Brighton decisions and maybe a draw Leicester so 5 better off (and Leicester two worse off) we’d be looking fairly comfortable.

or the two points from newcastle [where we had so many chances], a point at least against Burnley [Origi hitting the post in the first half].

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3934 on: April 14, 2021, 04:04:12 am »

We have dominated the vast majority of games this season. Based on pretty much every metric we should be comfortably in third place with the CL nailed on.

We have underachieved against xG whilst some teams have massively overachieved. Hopefully that rights itself. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3935 on: April 14, 2021, 08:27:41 am »
We have dominated the vast majority of games this season. Based on pretty much every metric we should be comfortably in third place with the CL nailed on.

We have underachieved against xG whilst some teams have massively overachieved. Hopefully that rights itself.

Although one of the other big XG underachievers are Chelsea who would be a comfortable 2nd and still with a chance of catching City.

The likes of United, Leicester, Everton, Spurs and West Ham have done a lot better results wise than their performances on most metrics. Some of them are still grinding the wins out.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3936 on: April 14, 2021, 09:17:32 am »

That Everton match was basically a Voodoo doll of Liverpool, operated by David Moyes. We got done for points and hobbled for the worst possible injuries - and of course with VAR to piss on the wounds (TWICE!).
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3937 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:08 pm »
Bring on the Arsenal trophy  :champ

A donkey derby for third/fourth positions is somehow very appropriate for the past 12 months.  Gutted as I am that we went out tonight we are really in a good position to quality for next season.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #3938 on: April 14, 2021, 10:20:13 pm »
Bring on the Arsenal trophy  :champ

A donkey derby for third/fourth positions is somehow very appropriate for the past 12 months.  Gutted as I am that we went out tonight we are really in a good position to quality for next season.

Yeah let’s just crack on with top 4 now. One game at a time. We’ll need to score a few to beat Leeds though

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3939 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:46 pm »
Welp, this is what we're left with.  Arsene eat your heart out.

For me it will be interesting to see what Klopp does with the lineups for the run in.  If reports are true and almost nobody has money then the squad on the whole will be the same come GW1 in August.  Is he going to try to rehabilitate some players or just ride with the 12-13 he trusts and then figure it out in the summer? 

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3940 on: April 14, 2021, 11:00:49 pm »
Welp, this is what we're left with.  Arsene eat your heart out.

For me it will be interesting to see what Klopp does with the lineups for the run in.  If reports are true and almost nobody has money then the squad on the whole will be the same come GW1 in August.  Is he going to try to rehabilitate some players or just ride with the 12-13 he trusts and then figure it out in the summer?

Forget about the reports the big teams will spend as they always do.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3941 on: April 14, 2021, 11:04:29 pm »
Forget about the reports the big teams will spend as they always do.

Big teams meaning PSG or ManC where money is meaningless or everybody else where losing £100m+ isn't just a rounding error?

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3942 on: April 14, 2021, 11:17:27 pm »
Let’s give our best now for the remainder of the PL season, finish Top 4 and put this twat of a season behind us.

Get back to being the 12th man at Anfield next year. Can’t wait.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3943 on: April 14, 2021, 11:18:13 pm »
Big teams meaning PSG or ManC where money is meaningless or everybody else where losing £100m+ isn't just a rounding error?

Teams will spend this summer for sure.
Maybe Leeds and Burnely won't splash the cash but all our CL and domestic competitors will

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3944 on: April 14, 2021, 11:18:43 pm »

No big teams meaning Man United, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, you know all the other clubs that make up the most valuable clubs in the world alongside us.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3945 on: April 14, 2021, 11:19:35 pm »
If we finish top 4, considering where we are with injuries and where we were in late February, thats a fairly good turn around.

If we can somehow manage CL football next year, and re-invest, with crowds back next year could be a different beast altogether

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3946 on: April 14, 2021, 11:27:04 pm »
Teams will spend this summer for sure.
Maybe Leeds and Burnely won't splash the cash but all our CL and domestic competitors will
No big teams meaning Man United, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, you know all the other clubs that make up the most valuable clubs in the world alongside us.

All of these teams, including us, just lost £100m or more with CL money.  And for the Continental teams there's no guarantee of when the fans will be back with how bad those countries are lagging on shots.  You then have the French and Italian TV market issues, etc etc.  I think you're both hugely optimistic but if it lets LFC sell a bunch of players for good money then I'm all for it.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3947 on: April 14, 2021, 11:33:40 pm »
All of these teams, including us, just lost £100m or more with CL money.  And for the Continental teams there's no guarantee of when the fans will be back with how bad those countries are lagging on shots.  You then have the French and Italian TV market issues, etc etc.  I think you're both hugely optimistic but if it lets LFC sell a bunch of players for good money then I'm all for it.

No I think you’re hugely unrealistic.. If you think that these clubs won’t spend money because of losses and simply chose to stand still you are crazy, life moves on, people move on and so will the transfer market.

We don’t operate like most big clubs anyways, we have a more unique model, but those aforementioned will certainly spend where they see fit, and it doesn’t rely on them selling their best players to do so,

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3948 on: April 14, 2021, 11:44:16 pm »
No I think you’re hugely unrealistic.. If you think that these clubs won’t spend money because of losses and simply chose to stand still you are crazy, life moves on, people move on and so will the transfer market.

We don’t operate like most big clubs anyways, we have a more unique model, but those aforementioned will certainly spend where they see fit, and it doesn’t rely on them selling their best players to do so,

If they've all depleted their cash reserves where are they getting the money to spend?  They're borrowing more? Who's lending it to them?  I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how creative some teams will get to try to move players but on the whole most teams will look exactly the same as they have no other option.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3949 on: April 14, 2021, 11:56:07 pm »
Just 7 more games and we can put this season where it deserves, which is in the bin.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3950 on: April 15, 2021, 12:09:14 am »
Can we play every game away from home? Someone take one for team and set the pitch on fire, flood it, do what needs to be done.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3951 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:16 am »
Just get to Top 4 and rebuild. I'll have us down for a double with Van Dijk back and a good summer of recruitment.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3952 on: April 15, 2021, 09:18:59 am »
The season has been a write-off as we all know
But getting top 4 imo we could/should have been able to do regardless of the uncontrollable issues we've had.

It's not the easiest task with things as they stand...but with going out the CL last night we have one job left to do before this god-forsaken season is over. Let's have some tunnel vision and go for it

And hopefully can enjoy seeing some victorious displays and achieve a place in the top 4 (the definition of success for others but for us it will have to do!)
- that good feeling we can carry over into the next season would be massive
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3953 on: April 15, 2021, 09:21:02 am »
Play like last night but finish better and we get top 4 at a canter. We are better than every team we play, and every team we are up against in a race for top 4 and last night showed that in my view. It's ours for the taking. Eyes on the prize. Up the fucking reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3954 on: April 15, 2021, 09:22:16 am »
Hopefully we get 3rd, or if 4th it's Leicester we knock out, really can't be arsed with an anxious wait to see if Arsenal and Chelsea win European finals. And knowing how this season has gone it'd be the final nail on one of the most horrendous seasons ever.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3955 on: April 15, 2021, 09:33:15 am »
Hopefully we get 3rd, or if 4th it's Leicester we knock out, really can't be arsed with an anxious wait to see if Arsenal and Chelsea win European finals. And knowing how this season has gone it'd be the final nail on one of the most horrendous seasons ever.

It would have to be both of them, wouldn't it? I wouldn't worry about Arsenal and to be honest I can't see Chelsea not getting top four either.

Looking at the fixtures I think winning six of our last seven would probably do it. Any less and I think we'd probably fall short but who knows.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:34:46 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3956 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:24 am »
Chelsea have a really tough schedule now.

It’s a shame that they play City after their CL second leg, though. I can see the title being wrapped up by City by then. Expecting City to take their foot off the gas after a tough game against PSG a few days earlier.

But still, tough schedule which should play into our hands.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3957 on: April 15, 2021, 09:40:32 am »

It’s a shame that they play City after their CL second leg, though. I can see the title being wrapped up by City by then. Expecting City to take their foot off the gas after a tough game against PSG a few days earlier.

True, but I just think they look like the second best side in the country by a distance atm and have already had their blip. For me, I'm counting on Leicester and West Ham dropping enough points, which I think they will.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3958 on: April 15, 2021, 09:43:23 am »

Mixed bag that city game though. If PSG win then you'd fancy city to beat chelsea, if City beat PSG then maybe it swings the other way. It can't be said enough that it's all there for the taking for us now. If we play like we did against Villa, and Madrid [bar the finishing] then I think we get it pretty comfortably to be honest. I'd really hope the boys have a point to prove at this juncture after last night and the madness of this season. I think Trent finding his form could be key too. He was unreal yesterday.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #3959 on: April 15, 2021, 09:59:31 am »
We have no option but to power through and get top 4, no matter what it takes.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy