Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 49603 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Chillies
« on: March 17, 2009, 12:21:50 pm »
Absolutely love them, can't beat a bit of spice in your food.  :)

I grow them, anyone else?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 04:27:18 pm by Claire. »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Chilli's
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:27:18 pm »
I tried to grow some last year but the weather was absolutely shite, too much rain ended up rotting the roots on me

Have grown some in the past though, mainly Jalepeno, and Cheyenne. Love the little buggers, I put them in nearly everything.

Chop up a harbenaro, sprinkle on some fresh mince meat, squish the meat into a burger, fry and serve. Firey hot, love it
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:29:42 pm »
Ace aren't they   ;D

I cut the fruits off and hang them on a length of string to dry out, then blitz them in a blender
and use them as flakes throughout the year.  :lickin

do you grow your's outdoors Billy?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:34:58 pm »

I've been growing my own for about 3 years now.

So far successfully grown Jalepenos, Thai and Serrano. Unsuccessful with Habanero, well piddly little buggers anyway.

I'm very much looking forward to a good crop this year - cos I FUCKING love chilis!!!!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36:34 pm »
I make chilli , garlic oil.

Pour some oil into a bottle then lash in some garlic and chilli. Very nice.

Be honest lads.  Who's ever cut fresh chillis then went for a piss?

OUCH!

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:38:03 pm »

OUCH!

Or the eyes, hurts like hell too

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »
Ace aren't they   ;D

They're the business. Absolutely love them in currys too.

The hottest I've eaten is probably the Red Savina, thats some serious heat. I ate it in a Mexican restaraunt when I was in New York. Its like swallowing a lump of hot coal. You can literally feel it scorching your wind pipe as it goes down. Then cue the watery eyes, the runny nose, and cold sweats down your spine.

For anyone who isn't aware, the heat of Chilli's are measured in Scoville units. Your typical Jalepeno pepper is roughly 6000 Scoville units, the Red Savina is over 500,000 units. As far as Im aware, the Jaga Morich (Sp?) is the hottest pepper in the world. Those litlle fuckers clear over a million units 

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »

Yep that to.

The eyes is painful but its acceptable to go aaaaarghhh me eyes lar. Ive been cooking for people that I dont really know and chopped a chilli then went for a piss. Minutes later in a kitchen full of people that I hardly knew the burning sensation started.

It was a very arkward moment in my life.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline jim.

• Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »
Can you grow chillies indoor? Fancy a little plant in my office.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »
This poor fucker bit off more than he could chew,

At about 30 seconds in he actually starts screaming like a little girl. Priceless ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ip5oGlMfU

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 12:48:50 pm »

For anyone who isn't aware, the heat of Chilli's are measured in Scoville units. Your typical Jalepeno pepper is roughly 6000 Scoville units, the Red Savina is over 500,000 units. As far as Im aware, the Jaga Morich (Sp?) is the hottest pepper in the world. Those litlle fuckers clear over a million units 

I've been growing them for about roughly the same time as timiano 3 years, last year got some Jamaican scotch bonnets seeds of the internet
only managed to grow one plant, mate, I've never ever had anything as hot in my entire life!!!!
and I'll scoff a phal every now and again.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 12:49:01 pm »
Love them.

Green chilli naans dipped into a nice curry is the bees knees. Not so enjoyable the next day mind.

Going to have to try that chilli oil.

Anyone tried chilli vodka? That's...intresting :D
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 12:49:07 pm »
This poor fucker bit off more than he could chew,

At about 30 seconds in he actually starts screaming like a little girl. Priceless ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ip5oGlMfU

Beat me to it ;D

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 12:49:24 pm »
They're the business. Absolutely love them in currys too.

The hottest I've eaten is probably the Red Savina, thats some serious heat. I ate it in a Mexican restaraunt when I was in New York. Its like swallowing a lump of hot coal. You can literally feel it scorching your wind pipe as it goes down. Then cue the watery eyes, the runny nose, and cold sweats down your spine.

how do they measure that? in a lab or something i presume?
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 12:51:25 pm »
Can you grow chillies indoor? Fancy a little plant in my office.
Easy mate, grow from seed, feed them like a tomato plant and keep them near a reasonably sunny window
come August, hey presto!, chilli's and the plant looks brilliant.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 12:53:51 pm »
how do they measure that? in a lab or something i presume?

All chillis contain capsaicin. Thats what causes your nerve endings to feel the heat. The amount of capsaicin a chilli contains determines its heat in Scoville units. I dont know for certain how they do it, but I'd imagine its done in a lab somehow yes

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 12:56:15 pm »

OUCH!

I gave some chilli's I'd grown to a mate of mine at the match, he took them home, used them for a meal for him and his bird
after the meal, started with his bird, next minute she's hit the ceiling, he hadn't used gloves when cutting the chilli's ;D
true story that mate .

Offline jim.

• Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:11 pm »
Easy mate, grow from seed, feed them like a tomato plant and keep them near a reasonably sunny window

Any particular type that is best indoor or does it not matter. Gonna go and get some soil and seeds this afternoon then!

Offline Brooks

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:21 pm »

A few months back i was chopping away and a seed flew into my eye which created a god awful pain to start with :-) Thing was I could'nt flush it out or find it - I'm sure it couldn't happen, but i reckon i instinctively pushed my finger into my eye and lodged the thing into my tear duct :-) Fucking unbelievable pain for half and hour or so.... I still turn my head away when i'm cutting them up...
Seriously, how fucking stupid can this get. Chelsea could not be more lucky. Those stupid fuckers. And Gary Neville who's been making sweet love to them all night and GOD DAMMIT I HATE EVERYTHING. FUCK CHELSEA. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I HATE THEM SO GODDAM MUCH!!!!

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 12:59:35 pm »
I've been growing them for about roughly the same time as timiano 3 years, last year got some Jamaican scotch bonnets seeds of the internet
only managed to grow one plant, mate, I've never ever had anything as hot in my entire life!!!!
and I'll scoff a phal every now and again.

Aye, I've heard of the Scotch Bonnet alright, they're one of the heavy weights alright. Just had a quick search there out of interest, have a look at this:

Guinness names world's hottest pepper
Posted Feb 20th 2007 3:04PM by Joanne Lutynec
Filed under: Science, Vegetables, Spices

Weighing in at 1,001,304 Scoville heat units, the Bhut Jolokia chili from India has been named the world's hottest pepper by the Guinness Book of World Records. Just to put that into perspective, the jalapeno sits at a meager 10,000 SHU.

Early last year, the world's hottest pepper recorded was the Red Savina chili, which registered at 577,000 SHU, but in April that changed to the Dorset Naga which tested between 876,000 and 970,000 SHU. When it gets that hot, I don't really know that the number really makes much of a difference!

The Scoville scale, developed by Wilbur Scoville in 1912, was created to measure the heat level in chillies and is used world-wide today

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/20/guinness-names-worlds-hottest-pepper/

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »
Good site here for growing advice (http://www.sowchillies.co.uk/growingadvice.htm)

Going to have a crack at growing some myself.

Going to buy some Cayenne Red seeds at start with.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 12:59:55 pm »

Silly question maybe but can you buy ready to grow chilli plants? Quite often use them and have always fancied having a go at growing my own indoors.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 01:01:30 pm »
Silly question maybe but can you buy ready to grow chilli plants?

Just talking to my boss about it and she said she saw some plants in Aldi not long ago.

So I presume you can get them from other places. Give a garden centre a bell.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:36 pm »
Any particular type that is best indoor or does it not matter. Gonna go and get some soil and seeds this afternoon then!
Just go to garden center they'll have varying types, but all will grow indoors.
grow the seed in a small pot then transfer to a medium size pot with soil suitable for tomato's
and then finally into a large pot to give the plant chance to grow enough roots, dead easy mate honest.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 01:05:52 pm »
Silly question maybe but can you buy ready to grow chilli plants? Quite often use them and have always fancied having a go at growing my own indoors.

You can get them at garden centers, you can buy them in pots already sprouted.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 01:07:07 pm »
You can buy some half grown plants but I think they may have all been bought by now
but grow your own it's way better, more satisfaction.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »
My Brother and some Mates eat them for fun. I'm not so keen. I know I've got a big cock, I don't need to prove it.

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:40 pm »
I did that for the first and last time the other year.

Bell end was on fire, hurt more than breaking my ankle.
Number 9

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 01:26:44 pm »

I gave some chilli's I'd grown to a mate of mine at the match, he took them home, used them for a meal for him and his bird
after the meal, started with his bird, next minute she's hit the ceiling, he hadn't used gloves when cutting the chilli's ;D
true story that mate .

Fuck that's a passion killer if ever there was one.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »
Anyone ever been to one of these restaurants?

Just curious like, I don't think there are any in Canada but I've heard of them in the States.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 01:35:48 pm »
You can buy some half grown plants but I think they may have all been bought by now
but grow your own it's way better, more satisfaction.

Usually on sale in April. Aldi, Wilkos, B&Q. They go quick though.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 01:36:05 pm »
Anyone ever been to one of these restaurants?

Just curious like, I don't think there are any in Canada but I've heard of them in the States.

Yep. Been to one in KL in Malaysia, and here in London.

Decent food. Tex Mex Fries are very good. And their Chocolate Molton Cake is heavenly!

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 01:39:09 pm »
I shall have a look on my travels today to see if I can see one if not I'm needing to buy chillis anyway so will try growing some, presume I just keep the seeds moist till they shoot then plant them?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:13 pm »
They are easy to grow, I managed and I am a highly proficient plant murderer. Garden Centre / Homebase that sort of place will sell them. Much cheaper to grow from seed, but it is far less hassle to buy them ready germinated.

What is about fruit and veg that triggers the grocers apostrophe's?

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 01:49:11 pm »
Usually on sale in April. Aldi, Wilkos, B&Q. They go quick though.
yes sounds about right, but I think they add growth stimulants to get them out so soon
which am not to sure about eating meself.
if you grow them your self though tim (as you do), you can't beat watching them little buggers sprout ;D

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »
Gotta love Singapore Chilli Sauce that you can by in most chippy's and chinese supermarkets.

Been eating it for years, really hot (well not for me since I acquired the skill to eat huge amounts of it), amazing with sui mais

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:13 pm »
What is about fruit and veg that triggers the grocers apostrophe's?

I like what you've done there :)

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
when I was in thailand I dined with a Thai friend. Fuck me her currie was that hot she had sweat bubbles coming out of the pores in her nose and cheeks. My currie was hot to and I aksed how mnay chillies was in mine. I think she said 3 as Iam foreigner. I asked how many was in hers and she laughs and says about ten.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »

Yep, after a long hot summer, was wandering around the garden today to see what had survived and the Chilli plant is "alive and well". Everything else had been "nuked" by the heat.
OUCH!

Made that mistake a few times, which means I either eat a lot of Chilli or I am a slow learner. ;)
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 02:16:07 pm »

OUCH!

Yep, never again, gloves / holding them in a plastic bag now.