Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 329944 times)

Helly

Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2009, 10:59:16 am »
Went to a big music festival in Brisbane in September one year and it was 30 C plus for most of the time I was there - it was also really sticky - not exactly the weather I like. The pubs there are pretty good, if a little seedy - you will see a lot of cockroaches in both Brisbane and Sydney for some reason. The Queenslanders claim they are visiting New South Welshmen just before stepping on one.

Right so if I make my Brisbane trip one of the last things I do I will be able to go home with a respectable looking tan :thumbup

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2009, 11:03:53 am »
Right so if I make my Brisbane trip one of the last things I do I will be able to go home with a respectable looking tan :thumbup

Definitely - Gold or Sunshine Coasts just south and north of Brisbane respectively are a must if you are looking to tan up a bit before the return journey, though a place like Byrons (northern NSW) is pretty good as well that time of year in that respect.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Helly

« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2009, 11:09:55 am »
Definitely - Gold or Sunshine Coasts just south and north of Brisbane respectively are a must if you are looking to tan up a bit before the return journey, though a place like Byrons (northern NSW) is pretty good as well that time of year in that respect.

Yeah I want to spend some time there as well.  Im planning on doing a lot in 3 weeks :D

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2009, 12:15:14 pm »

Take it you are not a fan of other sports apart from football? Or maybe I'm assuming too much. If you are a fan of other sports, you will be in Melbourne to see a finals match in the AFL - the mighty Essendon Bombers will be playing in a match around that time of year and if you are serious about seeing one of the greatest sporting teams on God's Earth I can heartily recommend you get yourself a ticket for a game.

:lmao
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »

Helly, it's twenty past eleven at night and i'm sitting in my shorts on the back veranda listening to Isaac Hayes (who?) and chiilin with too much JD and coke. Brisbane is the dog's bollocks!

Just changed to David Grey.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:49 am »
BTW, Stephen Hill looks like a great pickup for you in the draft - people were having a go at you for not picking up Rich or Yarran, but reckon the Dockers have a hit with Hill. 

After the draft, I was having to defend myself in the AFL thread about that. I said all along, even before the draft, I would rather Hill than Rich because in my opinion, Rich is very overrated. If Yarran was still there by the time of our 2nd pick, I would have loved to take him but he went to Carlton and should have a good career there.

:lmao

That tickled me as well.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2009, 01:31:08 am »
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2009, 01:32:34 am »
Yeah I want to spend some time there as well.  Im planning on doing a lot in 3 weeks :D

Yeah Melbourne can get cold in the winter, if you are here round August then definitely make sure you have at least a few warm clothes.

That said though, it can also have weirdly freaky weather, so it could quite easily be high 20s in the middle of winter like it is sometimes low teens in summer.

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Helly

« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:40 am »

it could quite easily be high 20s in the middle of winter like it is sometimes low teens in summer.

Now that sounds good to me!

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2009, 12:18:24 pm »
Now that sounds good to me!

Well the weather here in Melbourne can be very unpredictable so you're in with a shot of pretty much anything - though in general its hot in summer and gets cold in winter (I like that fact). In fact at the moment we're right in a really hot dry spell, though I can't guarantee you that it will last up to August!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:19:56 pm by Rusty »

Helly

« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2009, 05:13:19 pm »
Well the weather here in Melbourne can be very unpredictable so you're in with a shot of pretty much anything - though in general its hot in summer and gets cold in winter (I like that fact). In fact at the moment we're right in a really hot dry spell, though I can't guarantee you that it will last up to August!! ;D

I best just hope for a bit of luck with the weather then by the sounds of it.  Mainly cos I am determined to wear my little shorts :D

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
I best just hope for a bit of luck with the weather then by the sounds of it.  Mainly cos I am determined to wear my little shorts :D

Looking for love I see. (!!)
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Helly

« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2009, 09:51:25 pm »
Looking for love I see. (!!)

Haha, nope I just refuse to go on holiday and not wear the smallest clothes possible, Im fucked if I ever go skiing :D

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #213 on: March 7, 2009, 10:48:31 pm »
Right then, a few questions for you fellow Aussies:

We have a State election coming up in Queensland, I haven't got a scooby doo who to vote for, I know you can get fined for not voting so I'm obviously going to have to have a go for someone. I digress, what I want to know is who are these individuals who hang around traffic lights and under bushes in their camping chairs reading newspapers with a politicians sign next to them?  What are you supposed to do, pull up and have a chat with them for some reason, are they giving out freebies, what is there purpose and do they not have a life?

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #214 on: March 7, 2009, 11:12:50 pm »
Just vote Warick or Pauline  ;D
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #215 on: March 7, 2009, 11:36:01 pm »

We have a State election coming up in Queensland, I haven't got a scooby doo who to vote for, I know you can get fined for not voting so I'm obviously going to have to have a go for someone. I digress, what I want to know is who are these individuals who hang around traffic lights and under bushes in their camping chairs reading newspapers with a politicians sign next to them?  What are you supposed to do, pull up and have a chat with them for some reason, are they giving out freebies, what is there purpose and do they not have a life?

Fined for not voting????

Thats terrible
JFT 96-Solidarity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: March 8, 2009, 02:48:14 am »

Just ignore them. They are there to promote whoever they support like those pricks who stand all over the place handing out fucking fliers. Just toss a coin to decide who to vote for or if you think the current premier has done an alright job, then just vote for him. To answer your last question, no they don't have a life.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 8, 2009, 07:09:15 am »

Go in and spoil the ballot, that's what I plan to do should I ever get citizenship ;D

Seriously though I reckon compulsory voting is a good thing, OK you may get a lot of votes cast where people don't know much about the candidates, but at least it makes the population think about who is running the state/country etc and what kind of job they're doing.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2009, 07:11:34 am by Rusty »

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #218 on: March 8, 2009, 08:26:07 am »
last night at the pisspoor pre season game at the dome or whatever they call it these days...carlton geelong. I got kicked out for saying FUCK twice...Was just under the drunkeness required to make a scene which was lucky but seriously those security are jokes!

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: March 8, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
last night at the pisspoor pre season game at the dome or whatever they call it these days...carlton geelong. I got kicked out for saying FUCK twice...Was just under the drunkeness required to make a scene which was lucky but seriously those security are jokes!
Really? Thats shit.

Was at the A-League grand final the other day and my language there was shocking. But it's sport and your with mates and it can get frustrating.

What was funny though was the security lining up either side of the Adelaide supporters at the end of the game, creating there own little exit so that Melbourne fans couldn't get to them.

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: March 8, 2009, 11:27:07 am »

Mate thats a shocker, seriously one time I was in the G and absolutely spewing out the obscenities, nothing happened except a bloke in front of me told me to take it easy. At that point I realised I was far more pissed than I thought and took a seat and calmed down... :P

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: March 8, 2009, 11:38:45 am »
Oh yeah I should also say that in anticipation of the $900 government stimulus payment I will receive next month, I decided to give the economy a pre-emptive boost and lash out $890 on a 32" LCD HDTV with built in digital tuner. Should look good in my new flat when I move in in a couple of months :champ

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »
Looks like I might being moving to Australia for a couple of years to study further.  I am thinking between going to Brisbane and Melbourne and Brisbane's University of Queensland is the one that I really prefer but I've been told some nasty things about the place.  Anyway, please do let me know what sort of a city it is like and what expenses are like in Brisbane and Melbourne.  

Thanks in advance.  :wave
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:26 am »
Looks like I might being moving to Australia for a couple of years to study further.  I am thinking between going to Brisbane and Melbourne and Brisbane's University of Queensland is the one that I really prefer but I've been told some nasty things about the place.  Anyway, please do let me know what sort of a city it is like and what expenses are like in Brisbane and Melbourne.  

Melbourne is a nicer city but way to cold, if you are coming to Australia at least go somewhere warm. At least in Brisbane you have access to Surfers and the Sunshine Coast.

Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2009, 02:25:38 am »

If you want to live in an amazing, vibrant beautiful city, with world-class events in sport, culture, arts, food and drink, comedy, fashion where the people are great too, come to Melbourne.

Or you could go to Brisbane, where the biggest attractions are... errr... it's not Sydney?!

No comparison mate Melbourne is a fucking brilliant city, yes it gets colder than the rest of Oz in winter, but cold here is defined as single figures, basically compared to the UK it is not really cold at all. Also, in summer its hot but dry heat unlike further North where it gets really humid plus you will also be liable to get smashed by tropical cyclones at least once per year, attacked by crocs/spiders/snakes and also have to put up with the dopey bogans that exist North of Victoria.

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2009, 02:28:04 am »
Melbourne is a nicer city but way to cold, if you are coming to Australia at least go somewhere warm. At least in Brisbane you have access to Surfers and the Sunshine Coast.

Oh, when did flights between Melbourne and the Gold Coast stop??! ;) :P

Melbourne's plenty hot in the summer, its just 3 months of winter but even so its not really that cold in the grand scheme of things.

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2009, 02:33:15 am »
Oh, when did flights between Melbourne and the Gold Coast stop??! ;) :P

Melbourne's plenty hot in the summer, its just 3 months of winter but even so its not really that cold in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah but its not about catching flights, it's about living. if he is based in Brisbane it's 40 mins either way to one or the other.
Melbourne does get very hot in the summer as we have just recently seen. But jesus 40 degrees one day and 20 the next.

Anyway to come all this way just for more British style weather!! nah, up to Queensland... but then i am biased.
Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by wankers." Former Australian captain Laurie Daley

Offline mickdundee

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2009, 02:33:50 am »
Just go to Perth and study, WA is amazing.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2009, 02:42:31 am »
Melbourne would be a better place to live, holidaying in Queensland is nice, but Melbourne is the place to be (just check the license plate). Plenty of warmth in Melbourne too. Great beaches too down Geelong way, Torquay being great, I've heard good things of this "Bells Beach"

And seeing as your going for an education, Melbourne Uni is also probably the best or second best Uni in Australia after ANU.

Offline TomG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2009, 03:30:26 am »
Sydney is way better than Melbourne.
Its the place to be
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" - Oscar Gamble

Offline Rusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2009, 05:02:38 am »
Sydney is way wetter than Melbourne.
Its the place to be rained on

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2009, 06:11:27 am »

So I've heard but I've got admitted into University of Queensland which is pretty good by all accounts. 

Melbourne would be a better place to live, holidaying in Queensland is nice, but Melbourne is the place to be (just check the license plate). Plenty of warmth in Melbourne too. Great beaches too down Geelong way, Torquay being great, I've heard good things of this "Bells Beach"

And seeing as your going for an education, Melbourne Uni is also probably the best or second best Uni in Australia after ANU.

Neither of those Uni's have the course I am looking for.  And I've already got admitted into a couple of programs at University of Queensland and La Trobe which is very much the back up for me. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2009, 06:36:39 am »
In that case, it no real contest between them. It's all nice to say Melbourne is a better city than Brisbane but as you'd already know, University of Queensland is really 50 times better than La Trobe, i have mates that go there and its really nothing special and takes a fair bit of traveling to get their from where i live in Western Melbourne.

I would like to finish by saying all of the city's argued as being the best on here are better than Adelaide, unless you like serial killers.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2009, 09:16:12 am »

Finally someone on here is talking some sense. Perth is better than the East Coast.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2009, 12:38:18 am »
For the unsuspecting tourists:

I think it's great that the country councils throughout the land have erected "lifesize" creatures that inhabit the area or district where you are travelling.
These are basically community based "warning signs" for the Out of Towners.

Look out for Beware of:

The Giant Galah (bird) in Kimba, South Australia

The Giant Boxing Crocodile, Humpty Doo, Northern Territory

The Giant flesh eating Koala, Dadswell Bridge, Victoria

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2009, 04:32:48 am »
I started one of these a while ago, it descended into insults and was locked.
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2009, 11:57:16 am »
UQ's probably the third or fourth best uni in Australia.
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #237 on: March 23, 2009, 04:51:31 pm »
Setting about the wheels in motion to get a year down there msyelf. They don't seem to be handing out the Visas too handy these days. Really hoping I don't have a problem and that the cv is reasonable enough to get me a job where I might get sponsored to stay.

Really bricking it as it's make or nreak for me leaving a steady job to move down and hopefully get to stay with the girlfirend. Exciting but scary times.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2009, 07:51:32 am »
Setting about the wheels in motion to get a year down there msyelf. They don't seem to be handing out the Visas too handy these days. Really hoping I don't have a problem and that the cv is reasonable enough to get me a job where I might get sponsored to stay.

Really bricking it as it's make or nreak for me leaving a steady job to move down and hopefully get to stay with the girlfirend. Exciting but scary times.

Where are you trying to get to?

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2009, 09:15:37 am »
I'll be landing in Sydney but I heard it's tight there. To be honest we've said we don't care where we go so long as we're there somewhere.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.