Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 302943 times)

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Golf Thread - Jordan Speith is new World #1
« Reply #40 on: October 1, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »
You know, for me, the Ryder Cup is the biggest event in sport ATM. It's fucking unbelievable. Drama, tension, brilliant play, sportsmanship everywhere. IMHO nothing comes close.

I love Ryder Cup week. Seve made it what it is today and these young players coming through are going to take it to the next level. Love it !!!!!!!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #41 on: October 2, 2015, 08:51:42 am »
Yep, in hindsight I agree. I didn't feel that way at the time though  :)

I think what caused the outrage as much as anything was the overall atmosphere that the American crowd brought to that match. In particular their treatment of Monty was poor form. The European team weren't happy about their treatment and I think that made them react more emotionally to the scenes at the 17th green. Sam Torrance suggested that Lehman wasn't a man of God because he danced on Olly's line. Looking back that comment was a little silly.
yeah Monty got a hard time, think his then wife was spat at too. I think Paul Lawrie was heckled before a shot too

Torrance did go a bit nuts, i think that comment was a bit too far alright
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »
US won the Presidents cup..

That Lahiri shocker on 18 was unbelievable. Real gamechanger. Clutch putt from Kirk to be fair.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2015, 05:08:15 pm »
Matt Fitzpatrick wins the British Masters. Great to see. Even better I had a few quid on him 😀

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 06:44:33 pm »
Nice to see a golf thread on here doing well  :)

One name I'd save special mention for is Matt Fitzpatrick. Won low am at The Open in 2013 and has been lighting it up recently. Reminds me of a certain Ulsterman at the start of his career.

Great shout on Matt Fitzpatrick  :wellin

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 09:43:54 am »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:14:19 am by campioni »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 12:04:30 pm »
Royal Portrush confirmed as the venue for the 2019 Open. http://www.theopen.com/News/News/2015/10/Royal-Portrush-to-host-The-148th-Open-in-2019

Good news. I've played all the Open venues, and Portrush is up there with the best of them. I think County Down will be next.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 10:10:36 pm »
Royal Portrush confirmed as the venue for the 2019 Open. http://www.theopen.com/News/News/2015/10/Royal-Portrush-to-host-The-148th-Open-in-2019

Wonder how the new holes will look like, article from Sky

Royal Portrush will undergo a significant transformation ahead of the return of the Open Championship to the venue in 2019.

The R&A have announced that the world's oldest major will be held on the Dunluce Course for the first time since 1951, and work is already under way on preparing the layout for the challenge.

Renowned course architect Martin Ebert, who is based at Portrush, will oversee the numerous changes which include the construction of two new holes after the proposals were agreed by the club's members.

The overall length of the course will be increased by just under 200 yards to 7,337 yards, while a number of new bunkers will be added to bring the total to 62 - still the lowest bunkers of any course on the Open rota.

An R&A statement read: "Course preparations and the work to create the two new holes on the renowned Dunluce Links are well underway.

"The new seventh and eighth holes will utilise land from the adjacent Valley Course to develop a new par-five, playing down into the valley encompassing that course's sixth hole, and then a par four, playing back over its fifth hole into some beautiful duneland.

"Both holes will have an immediate air of maturity using some of the most stunning land at Royal Portrush. The new holes will replace the current 17th and 18th holes on the Dunluce Links, freeing up that land to be used to accommodate the spectator village and championship infrastructure.

Two new holes will be created and played as the seventh and eighth in 2019

"As well as creating two new holes, a series of other changes are being made to the course to enhance the challenge that will face the world's top golfers while remaining true to the ethos of Harry Colt's original design.

"The most significant changes will be to move the second green to lengthen the par-five hole by around 40 yards and on the current 10th hole, which will be the 12th at The Open, to alter the line of the hole and extend it by 50 yards.

"Elsewhere, the existing eighth green (the 10th at The Open), which was not designed by Colt, will be reshaped and several new back tees will be created."

Ryder Cup captain Darren Clarke said: "The global impact and the financial benefits to Northern Ireland are immeasurable. We've had some good times and bad times here, but to have the biggest and best tournament in the world here is certainly a very proud moment for us all and it can only showcase the beautiful part of the world we have here.

The current 17th and 18th holes will make way for the spectator village

"Coming here is a huge step of trust, to bring it back here for the first time since 1951, and I think Martin Ebert, who will discuss the changes that he's making, is going to make an already fantastic golf course an even better one.

"When it comes to that final score on Sunday afternoon I think it's going to be very, very close to what Max Faulkner won on three under on that Sunday in 1951, and I hope I'm on four under!

"There's no finer words in our sport than standing on the 18th green on a Sunday than being told you are the champion golfer of the year. I was fortunate to have that and it was a moment that I will forever treasure."

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Golf Thread - Jason Day is world #1 this week
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2015, 03:09:40 pm »
Shat himself and left his wife to feel the full force of LeBron  ;D

that's his wife under LeBron, and he's backing away. Fuck this shit, might ruin my golf game lol

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:13:38 pm by nuts100 »

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2015, 03:21:07 pm »
she was stretchered off in a neck brace and taken to the hospital, but is apparently fine.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 6, 2016, 12:03:41 pm »
most recent golf thread i can find

christy o connor jnr died today :(

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 6, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »
Sad to hear about this. RIP.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #54 on: January 6, 2016, 08:57:17 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHlaZW9hXd4

Such an emotional event. There was so much more to that moment for Christy then just what it meant for the outcome of that 1989 match. Having been left out of the history making 1985 team in controversial circumstances, Christy had a point to prove and boy did he deliver. Undoubtedly one of the most iconic moments in the history of the Ryder Cup. It says a lot about Christy and probably Jacklin too, that despite The Irishman's bitter disappointment at the 85 omission the two were able to put their differences behind them in 89.

As a footnote Christy and Freddie Couples went on to become close friends following that Belfry battle.

RIP Christy.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 9, 2016, 10:05:07 pm »
Spieth flying along. Machine.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 02:36:07 am »
Spieth is incredible.

Kisner, Koepka and Reed all having good weeks.. I can see them 3 having big seasons. Think we may see them contend in the majors.

Grace and Justin Thomas too.. Very excited for the golfing year.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #57 on: March 6, 2016, 08:49:50 pm »
McIlroy is currently in full choke mode.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 6, 2016, 11:21:27 pm »
Despite having money on McIlroy that was a great final round at Doral. Fair play to Scott, massive cojones to come back from two double bogeys early on and a shank in the bunker on 16.

Nice to see Danny Willett contending at a WGC. Pity it looks like he'll miss the masters.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #59 on: March 6, 2016, 11:23:20 pm »
Despite having money on McIlroy that was a great final round at Doral. Fair play to Scott, massive cojones to come back from two double bogeys early on and a shank in the bunker on 16.

Nice to see Danny Willett contending at a WGC. Pity it looks like he'll miss the masters.

Winning back-to-back tournaments on the PGA Tour takes some doing. Scott is as good as anyone on his day. The Masters is just around the corner, it's shaping up to be a fucking cracker.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 6, 2016, 11:33:05 pm »
Winning back-to-back tournaments on the PGA Tour takes some doing. Scott is as good as anyone on his day. The Masters is just around the corner, it's shaping up to be a fucking cracker.

5 weeks to the masters, can't come quick enough. I'm hoping McIlroy is saving his win for Augusta. Bubba coming into form could make it a hat trick of green jackets.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #61 on: March 6, 2016, 11:44:39 pm »
5 weeks to the masters, can't come quick enough. I'm hoping McIlroy is saving his win for Augusta. Bubba coming into form could make it a hat trick of green jackets.

Ugh.  Anyone but Bubba.

Great up and down from Scott to win it after flirting dangerously with the water on 18.

Dustin Johnson is getting into major form too with a final day 79.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #62 on: March 6, 2016, 11:45:45 pm »
Ugh.  Anyone but Bubba.

Great up and down from Scott to win it after flirting dangerously with the water on 18.

:lmao

He went from about -7 to -1 in three or four holes.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 6, 2016, 11:54:14 pm »
Ugh.  Anyone but Bubba.

I can't stand bubba either but he's hitting form at the right time and knows how to win round Augusta.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #64 on: March 7, 2016, 12:24:50 am »
Last year when a bunch of touring pros were asked anonymously - "Who's the one player you wouldn't bother to help out if he was involved in a fight in the parking lot?" The runaway winner:  Bubba Watson. Go figure. I think Patrick Reed was second - which I can see.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 7, 2016, 12:28:43 am »
Last year when a bunch of touring pros were asked anonymously - "Who's the one player you wouldn't bother to help out if he was involved in a fight in the parking lot?" The runaway winner:  Bubba Watson. Go figure. I think Patrick Reed was second - which I can see.
I'd join in with the other side where that twat Reed is concerned.

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #66 on: March 7, 2016, 12:43:21 am »
Everything I've heard about Bubba just isn't that pleasant, plus he seems to be a slight nutcase.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 7, 2016, 12:43:55 am »
Reed's great.. I like Bubba too, he's clearly a bit of an idiot but he's a character and he's very entertaining to watch. I reckon he wins at Augusta too.

Scott was great there after that disaster at 3 and 5.

DJ though, no idea what to make of him at the moment. Don't see him contending for the Majors this year, mentally he just seems off.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2016, 01:34:05 am by Popcorn »

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #68 on: March 7, 2016, 12:44:07 am »

Bubba even voted for himself. So he wouldn't help himself in a fight.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 7, 2016, 12:53:36 am »
I don't mind Reed. He got a lot of stick for proclaiming to be top 5 in the world after his first win and the finger to the lip thing at Gleneagles. But he was brilliant in that Ryder Cup, he and Spieth carried that US team. I like the fact Reed is playing European tour events now as well, not enough of the yanks do and I think they'd be better players for it.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 7, 2016, 11:29:59 am »
That was some leaderboard for a second last night and hats off to Scott for firing back after those double bogeys. He is on fire right now as is playing at a level way beyond anyone else right now. McIlroy took his foot his foot off the pedal and could not respond when he had too...another wee lesson in his career that is still very young. Should be a great Masters ...year in golf
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »
Day v McIlroy in the semi final of the Matchplay.

Rory scraped through the group stages and battled past Zach yesterday before playing some great golf against Kirk..

This could be some game. Day's back to number 1 too.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2016, 05:23:09 pm »
Day v McIlroy in the semi final of the Matchplay.

Rory scraped through the group stages and battled past Zach yesterday before playing some great golf against Kirk..

This could be some game. Day's back to number 1 too.

Days putting is incredible. Rory missing a few

Offline DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2016, 05:47:46 pm »
Mon Day

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2016, 06:31:06 pm »
If Rory wants to be number 1 in the world again, he has to improve his short game to that of Day's and Spieth's.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2016, 07:24:14 pm »
Saw Mcilroy on SKY this morning waxing lyrical about his unbeaten Matchplay record and how he looked forward to drawing level with David Toms and another win closer to Tigers record.

Jason Day responded with how he was Number 1 and then ultimately went on and did the business when it counted.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »
Jason Day ripping it at the players
Had a good break with his tee times. Putting and short game on a different level

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2016, 01:05:35 am »
Jason Day is turning into something special here. Smashing it

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2016, 05:17:18 pm »
Imagine if mcilroy had a short game.
Two fairway woods into 16&18 just ridiculous

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 01:00:46 am »
And Sergio won. What a strange weekend. And I'll keep on posting and talking to myself  ;D