Author Topic: (American) College Football  (Read 298188 times)

Offline LFC_Penguin

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: (American) College Football
« Reply #120 on: January 5, 2006, 03:07:54 pm »
_00_,

Yeah, we can't sing...normally. That one last night was the exception to the rule.

The whole concept of cheerleading is stupid beyond words. I work with high school marching bands, and the last one I worked with I taught them some songs and we sang them in the stands--the cheerleading advisor on more than one occasion came to the band director and told her that the band was cheering to loud and they couldn't understand why we were singing. Morons.

The comparison of PSU's success this season to Everton is spot on...and I hope they crash to earth next year, too.

As far as skill to play American football, you're going to get a wide variety of opinions. Because it is a game of set pieces, tactics are of paramount importance, and you have to have people who have the intelligence to remember every set piece a coach can think of, the skill to execute the play called, and that little bit extra that #10 had tonight to do something when the play breaks down.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #121 on: January 5, 2006, 03:09:42 pm »
I beg to differ.  He has a very good completion percentage (damn stats again, eh?), is tall and can see above the defenders. He can run with the ball extremely well - which is surprising for a lad who is 6 ft 5 in tall (and 233 lbs to boot).

He has been performing like this consistently for the past 19 games plus has youth on his side.

He is good and is going to be good. 
We'll see!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #122 on: January 5, 2006, 03:24:34 pm »
_00_,

Yeah, we can't sing...normally. That one last night was the exception to the rule.

The whole concept of cheerleading is stupid beyond words. I work with high school marching bands, and the last one I worked with I taught them some songs and we sang them in the stands--the cheerleading advisor on more than one occasion came to the band director and told her that the band was cheering to loud and they couldn't understand why we were singing. Morons.

The comparison of PSU's success this season to Everton is spot on...and I hope they crash to earth next year, too.

As far as skill to play American football, you're going to get a wide variety of opinions. Because it is a game of set pieces, tactics are of paramount importance, and you have to have people who have the intelligence to remember every set piece a coach can think of, the skill to execute the play called, and that little bit extra that #10 had tonight to do something when the play breaks down.

Comparing Penn State to Everton?  I think you are being bitter here.  Paterno has pedigree.

As for skills in the game, you need some.  Try throwing a ball in a tight spiral - it ain't just arm strength.
 Same goes for making a catch, turning and twisting making blocks, avoiding tackles, making tackles, etc....  And of course, the level of intelligence involved is quite high.  It has to be there along with the wizardry. 

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 5, 2006, 03:47:24 pm »
Young has a number of 'technical' problems with his throwing motion: the comparable in the NFL at the moment is Michael Vick....but Vick is a smaller player who has a huge problem completing passes: apart from height there is the accuracy issue. That is something that Young doesn't have, he has height and accuracy, even if his current throwing motion means in the NFL he will get picked of easily...given the right tuition he will be able to take the step up to the next level. He does, however, have the Vick problem of always running in the tight spot...a Superbowl QB won't scramble for 8 yards after option 1 and 2 are closed down by the defence...he'll go to option 3 and make a 30 yard play.

The Quarterback is the facilitator of plays, and not normally the person who 'makes' the plays. A great quarterback makes players around him play great...that is something we can't say of Vince Young yet...he is a great player, but does he make others play great with him? (by the way our 'great quarterback' is Xabi...has zero speed compared to some others, but can get himself out of trouble in a tight spot, and his delivery is freakish. The Joe Montana of Liverpool. How much of a better side are we with him in the team? Galaxies better. ) Vince makes all the plays, but who else in the Texan offence could you say he 'makes' play better then what they are? One man highlight reels do not win Superbowls as  rule. The last QB's of Vince Young's style to win a SB is probably his namesake at the 49ers, and a player around the same time who's last name is Elway.

I think Young will go in the draft, and I think his home town of Houston will take him at number one; but whatever happens, and whether he goes this year or next, he'll take a hell of a lot of work to get up to NFL standard. Vince Young has the athletic ability of a triple superbowl winning player....the problem is is that that ability has let him get through the college ranks, including today's Rose Bowl, without the technical mechanics to make it in the NFL as a quarterback. Whoever drafts him will have to file him away as a project player until he can learn to throw properly, and not start running as soon as he gets in trouble. If they can teach him that, the sky is the limit.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 5, 2006, 05:18:50 pm »
So it looks like Vince Young is coming good, as I had predicted all along.  True he has lost 4 games out of 9.  But boy look at those 5 wins.  He is throwing TDs and rushing for them too. 

So here are some QBs from college who will be good in the NFL next year, should they choose to turn Pro:

Brady Quinn (Notre Dame)
Tyler Palko (Pittsburg)
Jamarcus Russell (LSU)
Troy Smith (Ohio State)
Brian Brohm (Louisville)
Chris Leak (Florida)

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2006, 04:33:05 am »
A National Championship and beating the Manning brothers one after the other - that is a pretty good year for Vince.

I guess sometimes it is the intangibles.  Some people are winners and Vince is proving to be one of them.

Offline SkeltonJC

• Main Stander
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2006, 04:34:22 am »
Looks like we will find out if Rich is going to Bama within 72 hours. It's either Paul Johnson or Rich, and as this point, I want RR to be our next coach.

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2006, 02:20:24 pm »
Looks like we will find out if Rich is going to Bama within 72 hours. It's either Paul Johnson or Rich, and as this point, I want RR to be our next coach.

Would that put 'Bama back on the map and break Auburn's dominance?  I predict LSU to be the next dominating force in the next few years though, personally.

A National Championship and beating the Manning brothers one after the other - that is a pretty good year for Vince.

I guess sometimes it is the intangibles.  Some people are winners and Vince is proving to be one of them.

Right, spot on.  Don't forget he also single-handedly won the Rose Bowl (against Michigan) one year before that Championship Final.  So as you say, he is a winner.  That is all he is about, and he knows it.  He should be a serious candidate for Offensive Rookie of the year this season.

Back to the present.  I predict wins for Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, and Louisville (Add Oklahoma as well).  West Virginia should beat Georgia Tech as Calvin Johnson has been playing poorly.  I don't really care that much for the other games.

Offline SkeltonJC

• Main Stander
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2006, 03:26:50 pm »
Quote from: Vinay
Would that put 'Bama back on the map and break Auburn's dominance?  I predict LSU to be the next dominating force in the next few years though, personally.

The only reason Auburn got a bumped above us was the whole probation that Dubose left us in. Mike Shula did a great job pulling us up, we have recruited just as well as LSU and any other team in the SEC with Shula here, but his problem came in using that talent, now RR has proved in every place he has gone that he can utilize talent that he possesses. Auburn isn't the reason we aren't a dominating force anymore, probation is and, well, we are still feeling the smaller sanctions of that. (NCAA has to approve of our coach appointment, etc, etc).

Though, while I am kindof unsure about RR, I believe it's a step in the right direction.

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2006, 09:28:59 pm »
Home sweet home.  I can see RR leading the Mountaineers to a fabulous season next year.  Auburn will have to keep looking, unfortunately.  Good luck mate.

I was happy for Troy Smith yesterday (there was no suspense, anyway).  This kid is really good, despite the usual older generation's doubt about " a short Quaterback who runs" (By the way, Smith has established that he can throw, run and scramble.  He has played a few games exclusively as a pocket passer, maybe just to prove a point).  Smith has probably the second strongest arm in the NCAA,  after JaMarcus Russell.  I guess the same people who wrote off Vince Young (how dare they?) will write off Smith this time.  Vince Young, by the way, cooly despatched the Texans, coming from behind, in Over Time.  Week after week, Vince Young is proving to be a great Quaterback.  After only 10 games.  I guess I was right in my predictions, which wasn't hard in the case of Vince Young, as among other things, I had seen him win 2 Rose Bowls back to back single-handedly.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2006, 09:54:28 pm »
So it looks like Vince Young is coming good, as I had predicted all along.  True he has lost 4 games out of 9.  But boy look at those 5 wins.  He is throwing TDs and rushing for them too. 

So here are some QBs from college who will be good in the NFL next year, should they choose to turn Pro:

Brady Quinn (Notre Dame)
Tyler Palko (Pittsburg)
Jamarcus Russell (LSU)
Troy Smith (Ohio State)
Brian Brohm (Louisville)
Chris Leak (Florida)

Are you suggesting these qb's will be good "next year" in the NFL or perhaps somewhere down the road?

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2006, 02:01:17 am »
Are you suggesting these qb's will be good "next year" in the NFL or perhaps somewhere down the road?

Any one of these kids, if he gets to start, will be good next year.  We have seen  3 true rookies already this year, and Cutler was also one I had predicted would be good (maybe I am biased towards the SEC). Cutler can throw, but his team is just playing bad.

There are some teams who need a QB next year: Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, so all these guys can come good if picked and start.  The existing QB in the teams mentioned above are not gonna make it, let us face it.  Add to that QB's like Losman and Carr who are at best average.  Green Bay also looks to have wasted their pick - instead of playing Rodgers they still played Favre all the time and look what happened.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2006, 03:18:18 am »
I disagree that those 6 quarterbacks will be good next year if given the chance. Generally speaking the qb position requires a lengthy learning process. A Dan Marino for example is the exception to the rule even though about 5 qb's were taken before him in that particular draft. Great names like Elway, Aikman, Favre, Manning, etc, etc, all struggled before coming into their own. The rule of thumb was/is that if you play a rookie qb you're pretty much sacrificing the season. I wasn't high on Vince Young but maybe he's another exception   .   .   maybe.

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 4, 2007, 01:38:17 pm »
Last night's Sugar Bowl was great.  Notre Dame were over-rated as we had suspected all along.  LSU is coming on strong and should be taken seriously next year for a title.  Apart from a fumble and a pick when there was no coming back from ND, JaMarcus Russell was perfect.

I was gutted to see USC beat Michigan. I just don't know what happened there.

So yeah, I am biased towards the SEC.  However, I don't see Florida getting anything  out of the Tostito Bowl on Monday. Tressel's team has all the answers.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2007, 02:01:12 pm by Vinay »

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 4, 2007, 01:48:49 pm »
Very moved by watching the Demon Deacons the other night and the whole Abbate story.

Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #135 on: January 4, 2007, 04:59:38 pm »
So, it's Florida's turn to line up to have their arses kicked by the Buckeyes on Monday.

And I see that Nick Saban did exactly what he said he wouldn't do and fucked off to Alabama.
DAMMIT!

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 8, 2007, 02:01:39 pm »
;D

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 8, 2007, 02:04:27 pm »
On another note, I hear that JaMarcus Russell decided to skip his last year at college to make himself available for the draft.  He is a man-child.

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually went as the Number 1 Pick to the Raiders.  (That would just be terrible for him actually.  The Raiders have been a horrible team since the departure of Rich Gannon).

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 9, 2007, 01:24:34 pm »
Amazing game last night.  I knew the SEC teams are good - but not that good.  Urban Meyer seems to be the man.   That defense was simply out of this world.  I felt sorry for Tressel, Smith, Gonzalez, Pittman and Ginn. 

Curse of the Heisman Trophy.

Offline RI-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • What the fuck is Goony Goo Goo?
« Reply #139 on: January 9, 2007, 06:40:35 pm »
Amazing game last night.  I knew the SEC teams are good - but not that good.  Urban Meyer seems to be the man.   That defense was simply out of this world.  I felt sorry for Tressel, Smith, Gonzalez, Pittman and Ginn. 

Curse of the Heisman Trophy.

Must admit after OSU returned the kick off I thought it was going to be a white wash but the Gators first play was awesome. Felt sorry for Ginn. But I think the best team won easily.
That ginger haired twat looks like a proper manc c*nt!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2007, 07:33:34 pm »
Well the season starts tonight!!!  LSU (2) vs Mississippi State  Hopefully Mississippi St can live up their expectations and make this a competitive game this year.  I'd love for them to catch LSU napping (for obvious reasons)

It'll also been interesting to see how good Rutgers will be this year, after last year's surprising run.  Although I don't think we'll be able to tell much from a game against Buffalo.

Here's the AP Top 25 (and TX A&M is overrated, by the way  ;D)

1. USC (62) 0-0 1,622
 2. LSU (2) 0-0 1,511
 3. West Virginia (1) 0-0 1,396
 4. Texas 0-0 1,375
 5. Michigan 0-0 1,371
 6. Florida 0-0 1,276
 7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,192
 8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,166
 9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,148
10. Louisville 0-0 1,031
11. Ohio State 0-0 876
12. California 0-0 790
13. Georgia 0-0 782
14. UCLA 0-0 605
15. Tennessee 0-0 571
16. Rutgers 0-0 560
17. Penn State 0-0 542
18. Auburn 0-0 519
19. Florida State 0-0 392
20. Nebraska 0-0 377
21. Arkansas 0-0 376
22. TCU 0-0 283
23. Hawaii 0-0 256
24. Boise State 0-0 187
25. Texas A&M 0-0 162

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2007, 10:56:38 pm »
Whats happened to Notre Dame then?  ;D

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 1, 2007, 01:42:13 am »
Whats happened to Notre Dame then?  ;D

I guess God has abandoned them.   ;)

LSU's secondary looked pretty damn good last night

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: September 1, 2007, 09:56:12 pm »
good to see rutgers win (since i just graduated from there) but that michigan loss to appalachian - a AA school  :o :o

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 1, 2007, 11:11:43 pm »
good to see rutgers win (since i just graduated from there) but that michigan loss to appalachian - a AA school  :o :o

As an OSU fan, my head almost exploded at the end of that game!  BRILLIANT!!!

Offline Redneckred

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: September 3, 2007, 05:08:22 am »
I was at the Georgia/OkState game, but I knew we were going to win, and was more excited by the Mich/App State game...digging around on youtube found these great clips.

Penn State reaction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nQ9_Z9D1w

Ohio State reaction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOBjdka9uEw

and of course the series of events during the games' last two minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_LnLiv99Ys

College football is really the only thing that compares to "real" football in terms of passion.

Offline LFC_Penguin

• Main Stander
« Reply #146 on: September 3, 2007, 05:49:41 am »
To compare the Michigan loss to Appalachian State...imagine if, in 2006, Burton Albion had gone into Old Trafford with an extra 30000 people crammed into it, against United's full-strength side..and won 5-4.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 3, 2007, 10:31:14 am »
To compare the Michigan loss to Appalachian State...imagine if, in 2006, Burton Albion had gone into Old Trafford with an extra 30000 people crammed into it, against United's full-strength side..and won 5-4.
Good comparison..

Michigan are disgraceful. The way they have played in their previous 2 games ( SC last year ) is nothing but awful.

My harshness is predicated on the fact that they lost me alot of money..but still!!!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 5, 2007, 09:18:54 pm »
Whoops - I guess Texas was overrated  :-[  First game yips

We've got LSU v VT this weekend.  Should be a great game

Texas v TCU is the undercard for the weekend

This weeks AP top 25

1. USC (59) 1-0 1,619
 2. LSU (5) 1-0 1,542
 3. West Virginia (1) 1-0 1,449
 4. Florida 1-0 1,346
 5. Oklahoma 1-0 1,275
 5. Wisconsin 1-0 1,275
 7. Texas 1-0 1,221
 8. Louisville 1-0 1,152
 9. Virginia Tech 1-0 1,085
10. California 1-0 1,080
11. Georgia 1-0 959
12. Ohio State 1-0 940
13. UCLA 1-0 736
14. Penn State 1-0 662
15. Rutgers 1-0 659
16. Nebraska 1-0 541
17. Auburn 1-0 519
18. Arkansas 1-0 450
19. TCU 1-0 384
20. Hawaii 1-0 335
21. Georgia Tech 1-0 278
22. Boise State 1-0 267
23. Texas A&M 1-0 217
24. Tennessee 0-1 210
25. Clemson 1-0 195

Others Receiving Votes
Boston College 126, Missouri 116, Miami (FL) 91, Oregon 90, Alabama 74, Oregon State 41, South Carolina 39, Michigan 39, Brigham Young 27, South Florida 27, Florida State 22, Arizona State 19, Southern Miss 9, Wake Forest 7, Washington 1, Kansas 1.

Dropped From Rankings
Michigan 5, Florida State 19.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2007, 02:47:33 pm »
Was in Buckeye country the past week visiting the missus's family so took the opportunity to go to the Horseshoe for the first time. Distinctly underwhelming performance by the Buckeye offense against a wretched Akron Zips team but the defense had a great day, forcing 13 consecutive 3 and outs to hold the Zips to just 69 yards all day. Final score was Akron 2, Ohio State 20.

And Michigan lost again. :D
DAMMIT!

Offline LFC_Penguin

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2007, 04:09:55 pm »
How did you like the stadium?

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2007, 05:44:16 pm »
I liked it, thought it had a lot of character, which a lot of the newer NFL stadia lack IMO. The setting is nice, on campus alongside the river rather than in a giant parking lot in the middle of nowhere and things like the colonnade at the north end and the bell in the southeastern corner give it its own identity. I can see how they get so many in there with that bench seating as well, you can get about 5-10 extra people in every row doing it like that.

It could use a roof though - during the first half it rained and we were only 9 rows from the front so we got fucking soaked.
DAMMIT!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 1, 2007, 03:14:17 pm »
What an odd season. 7 of the top 13 lose this weekend.  Notre Dame goes 0-5.  LSU jumps USC at #1 in the AP poll although USC won (just)

Two weeks ago it looked like LSU and USC were cruising and OU was going to be on the outside looking in.  Now OU is out of the picture, LSU and USC were not convincing and Ohio State and Wisconson look like they are starting to roll.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #153 on: October 1, 2007, 04:02:53 pm »
What an odd season. 7 of the top 13 lose this weekend.  Notre Dame goes 0-5.  LSU jumps USC at #1 in the AP poll although USC won (just)

Two weeks ago it looked like LSU and USC were cruising and OU was going to be on the outside looking in.  Now OU is out of the picture, LSU and USC were not convincing and Ohio State and Wisconson look like they are starting to roll.

Had it not been for a couple blunders by my Dawgs (University of Washington), USC would have lost that game, but that's what happens I guess. You can't ask too much more out of a red-shirt freshman quarterback.

Is the Pac-10 the strongest conference this year? With USC, Cal, Oregon, Arizona State, and UCLA all ranked In the ESPN Poll (UCLA just outside top 25 in AP Poll). That's half of the conference. The UW also received a vote in the AP Poll. That's six teams out of ten that are ranked or received votes. I haven't taken the time to look at the ratios for other conferences but 60% of teams getting votes is very good.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 1, 2007, 04:31:28 pm »
I'd have to say the PAC-10 is the strongest.  The PAC-10 is usually underrated as well because a lot of people, including voters, don't watch their games becuse they're on so late on the east coast

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 2, 2007, 03:15:03 pm »
That's the excuse everyone comes up with.

Nothing beats the SEC.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 6, 2007, 04:21:55 pm »
by the way..........

OU sucks

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #157 on: October 6, 2007, 04:30:08 pm »
btw..fyi

Chance of rain-- thunderstorms today in Dallas for the Red River Shootout.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 6, 2007, 04:39:36 pm »
Yea I heard it was drizzling in Big D this morning.

It's going to be tough today, but that doesn't change the fact that OU still sucks  ;D

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 7, 2007, 04:44:34 am »
 :'(  but ou still sucks