Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 478195 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #4920 on: November 23, 2017, 01:17:38 pm »
Has he checked he can do that? I was under the impression that any car under 25 years old that someone would want to import to the US had to be particularly rare/exotic/limited edition and on the approved list of cars. I'd be surprised if an M5 would be on the list which is very small and has stuff like one offs and signature models on it.

I assumed he meant he's bought it from a US dealer, but is going to go to Germany prior to it being brought to the US to have a drive of it.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4921 on: November 23, 2017, 02:18:40 pm »
Has he checked he can do that? I was under the impression that any car under 25 years old that someone would want to import to the US had to be particularly rare/exotic/limited edition and on the approved list of cars. I'd be surprised if an M5 would be on the list which is very small and has stuff like one offs and signature models on it.
He has a first edition one of the first 50 sent to the USA,i think there will be limited to 500 built and sold worldwide for 2018.

He gets a tour of the factory in Munich and then pick the car up.

He did the same with his last M5,that was about 2 years after it came out though.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline epsomred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • half man half biscan. OOT and proud of it.
« Reply #4922 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:50 pm »
Just bought a 2000 Mercedes SLK for £1,400. 2.3 litres plus a supercharger so not shabby performance. Everything works including the retracting metal roof. £200 to insure fully comp as it's 17 years old so counts as a classic. There are 100s of these in the classifieds for between £1k - £2k. They are a great under the radar bargain for a fun second car.
Believe in yourselves and we can do this.

Offline epsomred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • half man half biscan. OOT and proud of it.
« Reply #4923 on: November 28, 2017, 03:02:46 pm »
To think the shape of the headlights and the fact that it was the first water cooled Porsche flat 6 911 have driven a price gap of 10k is absolutely ridiculous. The 996 and Boxster saved Porsche from extinction as the aircooled engine was dead in terms of meeting emissions laws.

The 996 is pretty much better in every way from its predecessors except the turbos and are probably the best super car you can get for the money in terms of performance, style and everyday practicality.

I had one of these. Sold it for £16k but have seen them as low as £10k - £12k. They are brilliant, just brilliant cars for the money. Will buy another one one day.   
Believe in yourselves and we can do this.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4924 on: November 28, 2017, 03:11:55 pm »
Finally got Volvo S90.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #4925 on: December 4, 2017, 06:35:24 am »
Does anyone drive or have driven an X1 2.0? If so, feedback would be much appreciated.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #4926 on: January 20, 2018, 10:51:44 pm »
Is anyone on a finance scheme and can recommend a good deal? Preferably a diesel but has to have cruise control and need it to be 0% interest.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4927 on: January 21, 2018, 12:08:52 am »
Is anyone on a finance scheme and can recommend a good deal? Preferably a diesel but has to have cruise control and need it to be 0% interest.

How much is the car?

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #4928 on: January 21, 2018, 01:57:21 pm »
Bloody boot keeps opening every time I put it into reverse - have read online that there’s a design fault with the wiring in the boot, the mechanism catches on the wires and cuts into them (so every time the reverse lights come on it’s shorting and opening the boot). From the threads I’ve seen online it appears that VW won’t fix this for free and I’m not paying for it. Any other VW owners had anything similar? I’m tempted to just get the internal panels off and fix it myself.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4929 on: January 23, 2018, 12:13:36 pm »
nope

but after the endless problems with a passat i owned i wouldnt touch volkswanker with a shitty stick
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4930 on: January 24, 2018, 01:30:25 pm »
Bloody boot keeps opening every time I put it into reverse - have read online that there’s a design fault with the wiring in the boot, the mechanism catches on the wires and cuts into them (so every time the reverse lights come on it’s shorting and opening the boot). From the threads I’ve seen online it appears that VW won’t fix this for free and I’m not paying for it. Any other VW owners had anything similar? I’m tempted to just get the internal panels off and fix it myself.

Which VW is this? saloon or hatchback? I have a 5 series touring with a similar problem. Been driving like this for the last 18months, will let you use your imagination as to how I got it through the MOT with hardly any lights working at the back, no wiper and a boot that likes to randomly open as you are driving along.

It's a very expensive problem (for my model) with the oem cables costing £400+ and will take a full day to do, taking all the panels off and dealing with the cables. Main dealer cost is obviously into the thousands. How old is your car and how long do you plan to keep it? I've seen a few VWs with sheared/snapped electric windows cables. it looks like the same quality on the bmw, not enough flex. I bought an aftermarket Senco cable for mine, still cost me £150+ and have not got round to fixing it yet. The diagnosis sounds right, with frayed cables cross contacting eachother. The problem if you get that far is that it will be more than one cable.

You might be able to patch it up but no guarantee it will last. No guarantee the same won't happen again if you go the OEM route either, it's a design fault but the manufacturer's won't admit it.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #4931 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:48 pm »
Which VW is this? saloon or hatchback? I have a 5 series touring with a similar problem. Been driving like this for the last 18months, will let you use your imagination as to how I got it through the MOT with hardly any lights working at the back, no wiper and a boot that likes to randomly open as you are driving along.

It's a very expensive problem (for my model) with the oem cables costing £400+ and will take a full day to do, taking all the panels off and dealing with the cables. Main dealer cost is obviously into the thousands. How old is your car and how long do you plan to keep it? I've seen a few VWs with sheared/snapped electric windows cables. it looks like the same quality on the bmw, not enough flex. I bought an aftermarket Senco cable for mine, still cost me £150+ and have not got round to fixing it yet. The diagnosis sounds right, with frayed cables cross contacting eachother. The problem if you get that far is that it will be more than one cable.

You might be able to patch it up but no guarantee it will last. No guarantee the same won't happen again if you go the OEM route either, it's a design fault but the manufacturer's won't admit it.

Cheers for the reply mate.

It’s a 2014 CC. I found this thread saying some similar things as you’ve mentioned but it doesn’t look that much of a big fix once I’ve got the panels out of the way. That bit of the loom is c. £200 off the shelf, but as you say will probably end up happening again so I think best bet is to get the soldering iron out and hope it doesn’t happen again for a while.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/157526-Switch-location-question-Boot-Lid

Edit: just managed to fix it. Same issue as above, one of the wires had cut right through (good jobs was only one as they are all brown wires). We had to solder an extra bit of wire in to bridge the gap and then wrapped it in electrical tape. My brother works for airbus so is gonna get some sort of Kevlar wrap to wrap around it all where it’s catching.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:54:12 pm by TomDcs »

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #4932 on: January 24, 2018, 09:57:39 pm »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #4933 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:07 pm »
 :champ :champ :champ

My new Mazda 2...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4934 on: January 25, 2018, 10:43:56 pm »
£6,995

If you have a good credit history then you could get yourself a long 0% purchase credit card and buy a car on that. No need to get a finance deal.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #4935 on: January 25, 2018, 11:49:28 pm »
Been driving a Fiat Qubo for the last 12 months reliable and big enough to stop anyone taking liberties with me.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4936 on: January 27, 2018, 11:49:47 am »
Does anyone know the best site to advertise a used car for sale? eBay or Autotrader?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4937 on: January 28, 2018, 10:28:07 am »
Does anyone know the best site to advertise a used car for sale? eBay or Autotrader?
autotrader

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4938 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:46 am »
Give Gumtree a go.

I’ve got one for sale at the moment and I’ve had more interest from a few days on there than I did with 2 weeks on Autotrader.

It’s free too!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4939 on: January 28, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »
And sold to the second person who came to view via Gumtree. First did make an offer yesterday but told him I’d wait until this guy had been before accepting, and today’s offered full asking price so happy days.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4940 on: January 28, 2018, 02:47:14 pm »
And sold to the second person who came to view via Gumtree. First did make an offer yesterday but told him I’d wait until this guy had been before accepting, and today’s offered full asking price so happy days.
Very interesting that mate because I sell lots of stuff on Gumtree and I get so many time wasters I actually call them tyre kickers  ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4941 on: January 28, 2018, 02:55:11 pm »

He pay with a check ?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4942 on: January 28, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »
Very interesting that mate because I sell lots of stuff on Gumtree and I get so many time wasters I actually call them tyre kickers  ;D

Had a few messages asking if I'd take well under what I had it one for, other than that though all the other messages seemed from people who were genuinely interested, 3 of which sorted viewings (the 2nd of which bought).

Wasn't too hopeful when put the ad up, and thought I'd be throwing another £35 at Autotrader, but got loads more interest in it than there.

He pay with a check ?

Has fired the money directly into my account and gone away to sort insurance. Back at 4 to collect it. Nice and simple.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4943 on: January 28, 2018, 07:06:24 pm »
I found selling a car private a nightmare. So many chancers.

The offshore drilling/marine enigineer guy scammers offering to pay via PayPal. .....urgh. Took 6 weeks to sell

Offline QR350

• Kopite
« Reply #4944 on: January 29, 2018, 07:33:18 am »
If you have a good credit history then you could get yourself a long 0% purchase credit card and buy a car on that. No need to get a finance deal.
Didn't know credit cards went that high, mine has a limit of £2,500. In that case, better get my credit rating up a bit

Offline QR350

• Kopite
« Reply #4945 on: January 29, 2018, 07:37:12 am »
I found selling a car private a nightmare. So many chancers.

The offshore drilling/marine enigineer guy scammers offering to pay via PayPal. .....urgh. Took 6 weeks to sell
You considered webuyanycar? They do usually offer a lot less than if you went private but if you're like me and willing to sacrifice a bit to save hassls, it's worth it. Money4yourmotors is also a good one, they come to you and give you a valuatio there and then. Money gets transferred into your bank within 30 minutes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4946 on: January 29, 2018, 07:38:54 am »
My experience, well via my sister who sold hers via one of those, is that you end up receiving hundreds less than its real value.

They are the motoring equivalent of those quick home buyers.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4947 on: January 29, 2018, 09:09:10 am »
My experience, well via my sister who sold hers via one of those, is that you end up receiving hundreds less than its real value.

They are the motoring equivalent of those quick home buyers.

Offered my Father in Law £1500 less for his 5 series than a dealer paid us and offered a fella I worked with £15k for a Jag XF that a dealer ended up buying for £27k
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4948 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:38 am »
Offered my Father in Law £1500 less for his 5 series than a dealer paid us and offered a fella I worked with £15k for a Jag XF that a dealer ended up buying for £27k

That’s saying a lot given dealers don’t always offer that much either.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4949 on: January 29, 2018, 10:02:11 am »
My daughters fella sold my old car for me using something on Facebook, sold in a couple of hours, loads of interest and free. Not sure exactly what its called but he uses it all the time and it seems the business.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4950 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:08 am »
You considered webuyanycar? They do usually offer a lot less than if you went private but if you're like me and willing to sacrifice a bit to save hassls, it's worth it. Money4yourmotors is also a good one, they come to you and give you a valuatio there and then. Money gets transferred into your bank within 30 minutes.
I may try it next time

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4951 on: January 29, 2018, 12:02:08 pm »
Always done OK selling private off Autotrader. You can normally tell decent buyers from the phonecall, they tend to be sincere and tell you that the car is exactly what they want - phonecalls just after listing tend to lead to this type of call because they have an alert for when a specific ad comes up. I tend to price them to sell so there's not too much movement on the price from me.
We Buy any car is useful as a guide to the very low end so anyone ringing and trying to lowball you can be fucked off at that point.

I've found that most serious buyers will try and virtually seal it over the phone, and the viewing is the final check.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4952 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:24 pm »
Good advice

Best advice I'd give is not to interest PayPal offers. Cash only too

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4953 on: January 29, 2018, 02:34:21 pm »
My daughters fella sold my old car for me using something on Facebook, sold in a couple of hours, loads of interest and free. Not sure exactly what its called but he uses it all the time and it seems the business.

Its called Marketplace.

Didn't know credit cards went that high, mine has a limit of £2,500. In that case, better get my credit rating up a bit

Every time I get a new 0% card its always at least £5k credit limit although I have got the odd £6k card.

Bank loans are silly cheap too, Natwest just offered me £10k at £185 a month over 5 years, total payable is £10,875 or so.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4954 on: February 2, 2018, 03:41:12 pm »
Jaguar XF or XE?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4955 on: February 2, 2018, 04:10:32 pm »
Jaguar XF or XE?
an xf blasts past me going to work everyday.

Sexiest car ever

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4956 on: February 2, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »
an xf blasts past me going to work everyday.

Sexiest car ever

What colour is that one? I'm in love with the white ones, but Liverpool red has been swaying me!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4957 on: February 2, 2018, 07:40:10 pm »
What colour is that one? I'm in love with the white ones, but Liverpool red has been swaying me!
real bloody crimson red like our home kit

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4958 on: February 2, 2018, 08:50:38 pm »
Jaguar XF or XE?

Have driven the 2.7 ltr diesel, premium luxury with all the toys - fantastic car and bloody quick. Not driven an XE so can't compare.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4959 on: February 2, 2018, 09:10:02 pm »
Just replaced my 1 series coupe with an A Class in red with the night pack so I’ve got black alloys. Got a really good deal because the new one is coming out. I’d seen the camo pics of the new one in testing and hated it so the extra discount was just a bonus.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A