Author Topic: Crow nabbed after drinking binge  (Read 6809 times)

Offline Bungle Bear

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop!
Crow nabbed after drinking binge
« on: October 14, 2003, 09:24:25 am »
Crow nabbed after one schnapps too many
Mon 13 October, 2003 17:31 BST

BERLIN (Reuters) - German police have apprehended a vicious crow which was attacking passers-by by getting it drunk on bait laced with alcohol, authorities say.

The bird eluded its captors after attacking a woman and a young girl at the weekend until cat food soaked in high-alcohol fruit schnapps proved too tempting to resist.

"The crow was completely smashed," said a spokesman for police in the western city of Dortmund.

Police said the crow was sleeping off its hangover in a local animal home.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Re:Crow nabbed after drinking binge
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 09:27:03 am »
Sounds like a job for Wolfgang Poggendorf  :D
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 09:30:24 am »
 ;D  ;D

Moral of the story: Make sure your bird is drunk, before trying to get it home.
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 09:33:54 am »
Thought this was about Russel  ;D
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Roddysul

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 09:39:13 am »
;D  ;D

Moral of the story: Make sure your bird is drunk, before trying to get it home.

;D ;D ;D

Offline Bungle Bear

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 09:44:06 am »
Sounds like a job for Wolfgang Poggendorf  :D

German crows attack joggers and pensioners
By Tony Paterson in Berlin
(Filed: 29/06/2003)

It is a terrifying scene which could have been lifted straight from Alfred Hitchcock's horror film, The Birds: vicious carrion crows have launched a series of unprovoked attacks on joggers and pensioners in German parks.

Authorities in Hamburg and Stuttgart say that at least five women have been attacked during the past six weeks, but they claim that EU bird protection regulations make it difficult to stop them. In every case, the crows appear to have taken their victims by surprise. Birgit Schulz, 41, a Hamburg teacher, was attacked while out jogging one morning last month in the city's Stadtpark.

"I heard this strange whistling sound, then I saw the shadow of the bird and felt this stinging pain in the back of my head," she told Germany's Woman magazine last week. "Although I thrashed about with my arms, it kept on pecking at my head. It was like the film," she added. Three other women in Hamburg were attacked by a flock of 20 crows in a park early this month. The birds swooped down and entangled their clawed feet in the women's hair before pecking them in the head.

The victims were taken to hospital where their wounds were treated and they were given tetanus injections. Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call. In Stuttgart, two crows attacked a housewife while she was gardening.

Ornithologists have no clear explanation for the attacks, or why women were singled out. Markus Nipkow, of Germany's Nature Protection Federation, maintains that crows are not naturally hostile to humans. "They only become aggressive when they feel that their young are under threat. In a city, it is possible that they can feel threatened by people," he said.

Wolfgang Poggendorf, the director of Hamburg's Animal Protection Society, blamed the attacks on crow overcrowding. The city's crow population is now estimated at 8,000 and rising. Officials such as Volker Dumann, a spokesman for Hamburg's Environment Office, said there was little his authority could do because EU legislation permitted the shooting of crows only under exceptional circumstances. "The EU guidelines only allow crows to be shot if they pose a serious threat to citizens' well being," he said. "For that to happen, the number of attacks would have to increase rapidly."

Hamburg's citizens have been advised to avoid nesting sites and to carry umbrellas as shields.

*seems like our friend is on the case

;)

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 07:32:00 pm »
Thought this was about Russel  ;D

I thought it was Sheryl. Russell has an "e" on the end.