Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1916583 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: General Newcastle United thread - Benitezless
« Reply #14000 on: July 10, 2019, 06:01:24 pm »
^^^ what I meant was that the Trump organisation bills the secret service for facilities they use at Trump's resorts or buildings - so he effectively profits from the US taxpayer via his own security detail.

In a similar manner, Newcastle are effectively paying Mike Ashley to be owned by him - in ways that go far beyond merely him taking a dividend.  Same as we had with the cowboys.

So you think hotel properties should allow the Secret Service to stay for free?

My son and I were in New Orleans when VP Biden was there. We stayed 2 blocks away. The Hotel he stayed at, per a pub across the street where hotel staff drank, cleared the entire property of unrelated guests. Biden was in his suite. The Secret Service had the entire floors above and below to themselves. Everyone was vetted who were there.

Mar a Lago is nothing more than a resort. Who would lose money giving away rooms for free.

If Trump chose to stay somewhere else, the government still has to pay for Secret Service protection.

Edit: Had to go look at the map, but VP Biden stayed at the Waldorf Astoria.

https://www.therooseveltneworleans.com/health/waldorf-astoria-spa.html

I suggest you check out room prices there. Especially the Presidential Suite.

He was there two nights.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:10:28 pm by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #14001 on: July 10, 2019, 06:08:55 pm »
Ashley and Bruce would be utopia, just what the scruffs deserve

Yep,perfect mix, fatbelly & fathead, & if Bruce get's the job, how the hell does he keep getting jobs. :butt

Oh & that'll be 6 points guaranteed to Man Utd as well, a fathead managed team has never beaten Man Utd. :no
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:10:48 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #14002 on: July 10, 2019, 06:47:11 pm »
The fans who sing "Feed the scousers" are picking up scraps.  The irony is beautiful.   ;D
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14003 on: July 10, 2019, 06:58:32 pm »

My son and I were in New Orleans when VP Biden was there. We stayed 2 blocks away. The Hotel he stayed at, per a pub across the street where hotel staff drank, cleared the entire property of unrelated guests. Biden was in his suite. The Secret Service had the entire floors above and below to themselves. Everyone was vetted who were there.

Mar a Lago is nothing more than a resort. Who would lose money giving away rooms for free.

If Trump chose to stay somewhere else, the government still has to pay for Secret Service protection.

He was there two nights.

You are spectacularly missing the point he's making  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #14004 on: July 10, 2019, 06:59:00 pm »

'Rafa Benítez: "I've had more meetings in China than in three years at Newcastle"':-

https://en.as.com/en/2019/07/09/football/1562707133_824752.html
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #14005 on: July 10, 2019, 07:02:01 pm »
You know what. maybe he's just thought "Fuck it, I'm fed up with all the bullshit I've had to deal with in my last couple of jobs. Here's a job that pays very well, gets me away from the fucking media here, will allow me some decent team funds without all the behind the scenes shit, and you know what I might even get to manage and build a team like I want to."

And I think he fucking deserves to take whatever so called cop out job he wants. He earned that right for me years ago.

Can we not just stop beating around the bush and say ‘he’s gone purely for the money’. And move on.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14006 on: July 10, 2019, 08:30:20 pm »

He was there two nights.

My point is that there was a very bad stink over this when it started,  as it was seen as the president was personally enriching himself. There were plenty of articles about it at the time if you want to look them up.

EDIT: not only does it potentially violate the emoluments clause (and let's face it, violating stuff is Trump's M.O.), but there was also talk that the Trump organisation was deliberately hiking the prices to ridiculous levels so it was costing the secret service far more than it otherwise should.  And I think we can both agree that Trump Tower is no Waldorf Astoria.

Oh, and remember he's had over 100 golfing days at Mar o Lago.  Even if you're VERY conservative over what that costs - say, $500k a time - that's stupid money that's going directly to the Trump organisation.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:05:38 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14007 on: July 10, 2019, 09:00:02 pm »
Can we not just stop beating around the bush and say ‘he’s gone purely for the money’. And move on.

Yeah you can. Crack on.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14008 on: July 10, 2019, 10:06:00 pm »
My point is that there was a very bad stink over this when it started,  as it was seen as the president was personally enriching himself. There were plenty of articles about it at the time if you want to look them up.

EDIT: not only does it potentially violate the emoluments clause (and let's face it, violating stuff is Trump's M.O.), but there was also talk that the Trump organisation was deliberately hiking the prices to ridiculous levels so it was costing the secret service far more than it otherwise should.  And I think we can both agree that Trump Tower is no Waldorf Astoria.

Oh, and remember he's had over 100 golfing days at Mar o Lago.  Even if you're VERY conservative over what that costs - say, $500k a time - that's stupid money that's going directly to the Trump organisation.

Well, i've not missed your point, as someone suggested.

The President can stay wherever he likes. Don't think for one minute that previous Presidents didn't enrich their campaign donors by staying at their properties. So it may not have been part of their own empire but part of someone else's who just happen to enrich their coffers another way. Dirty laundry abounds.

I doubt the Waldorf gave Biden or the secret service a discounted rate for staying there just because he was a Democrat. I do know, per staff, that other guests had to be accommodated elsewhere to clear floors and make room for his stay. I'm going to suggest the government was billed full rate for all rooms. Although I don't know for a fact but based on staff, the Waldorf wasn't doing things on the cheap.

Personally, I don't care where any of the Presidents stay on their travels. There's more important things to worry about.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14009 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:03 pm »

The President can stay wherever he likes. Don't think for one minute that previous Presidents didn't enrich their campaign donors by staying at their properties. So it may not have been part of their own empire but part of someone else's who just happen to enrich their coffers another way. Dirty laundry abounds.

I doubt the Waldorf gave Biden or the secret service a discounted rate for staying there just because he was a Democrat. I do know, per staff, that other guests had to be accommodated elsewhere to clear floors and make room for his stay. I'm going to suggest the government was billed full rate for all rooms. Although I don't know for a fact but based on staff, the Waldorf wasn't doing things on the cheap.

Personally, I don't care where any of the Presidents stay on their travels. There's more important things to worry about.

Guess what?

Spoiler
No one does
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14010 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:16 pm »

Remember when you thought Trump would become presidential upon taking office  ;D How you can't see anything wrong with a President enriching his family so brazenly at the cost of tax payers is insane.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14011 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:51 pm »
Will you just fuck off with this shit so we can go back to facepalming the Newcastle?

Start a Trump-blowing thread or something in the appropriate place; please ensure it's clearly-titled so I for one can ignore it
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14012 on: July 10, 2019, 10:22:03 pm »
Remember when you thought Trump would become presidential upon taking office  ;D How you can't see anything wrong with a President enriching his family so brazenly at the cost of tax payers is insane.

Well, no.

Prove it to me.

You've got me confused with someone else. As one, never voted for him. Two, could give a damn about him.

My original point was about the Secret Service as I had a pretty good idea  how that works when it comes to expenses and charges due to actually knowing someone who was in that department.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:23:49 pm by 4pool »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14013 on: July 10, 2019, 10:22:42 pm »
Will you just fuck off with this shit so we can go back to facepalming the Newcastle?

Start a Trump-blowing thread or something in the appropriate place; please ensure it's clearly-titled so I for one can ignore it

Fuck Trump I want more Steve Bruce news.

Or even better, Tactics Tim makes a return.

Or Biffa Bacon's Dad.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14014 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:27 pm »

Think he's gone there for a rest cure. Much less pressure, can just enjoy football for a season. Good on him.

Offline bertiemee

• Anny Roader
  • The Anny Road Aggro
« Reply #14015 on: July 10, 2019, 10:40:46 pm »
Can’t blame him choosing £24m for two seasons over £6m (some say less) for one season and no say on incoming players.

How dare he  :lickin

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14016 on: July 10, 2019, 10:51:45 pm »
Omfg. What a stupid fucking hornets nest of stupidity I've accidentally stirred up! Sorry guys,  I didn't realise what levels of density I was dealing with! ;D

It's not just illegal - it's brazenly illegal and impeachable.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14017 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:33 pm »
Omfg. What a stupid fucking hornets nest of stupidity I've accidentally stirred up! Sorry guys,  I didn't realise what levels of density I was dealing with! ;D

It's not just illegal - it's brazenly illegal and impeachable.

Mike Ashley?  :D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14018 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:43 pm »
Well, no.

Prove it to me.

You've got me confused with someone else. As one, never voted for him. Two, could give a damn about him.

My original point was about the Secret Service as I had a pretty good idea  how that works when it comes to expenses and charges due to actually knowing someone who was in that department.

Sorry I'd got your posts on that thread confused with someone else.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #14019 on: July 10, 2019, 11:42:01 pm »

He was there two nights.
Are you missing the point on purpose?

Which previous presidents have stayed at places they own, therefore making money from the government every time they stay there?

It has absolutely nothing to do with staying for free.

Only Trump supporters would think this is okay. (I'm assuming you are not)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14020 on: July 10, 2019, 11:53:00 pm »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:35:46 am by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #14021 on: July 11, 2019, 02:44:39 am »
The Fail claiming they offered Allardyce the job and he turned it down

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14022 on: July 11, 2019, 05:00:22 am »
The Fail claiming they offered Allardyce the job and he turned it down

Why would he want to go there and get the blame for them being relegated, he'd rather go in after Xmas when they are already struggling so it is either somebody else's fault or he is the hero for saving them.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14023 on: July 11, 2019, 07:40:27 am »
The sum total of the Media seems to be "Bruce is a Geordie, you have to give him a chance". That's the sum total of support for him to be manager.

Some are even using that fact to big him up over Rafa. Usual suspects who hated Rafa with us to be fair but still

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14024 on: July 11, 2019, 08:22:46 am »
Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce. It doesn’t get less creative than that. Who’s further down the list then? Owen Coyle and Alan Pardew?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #14025 on: July 11, 2019, 08:47:29 am »
Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce. It doesn’t get less creative than that. Who’s further down the list then? Owen Coyle and Alan Pardew?

There is one man......a man who salutes and is so dense that light bends around him
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14026 on: July 11, 2019, 09:00:49 am »
The gulf in quality between Rafa and Steve Bruce is as great as that between Rafa and Owl Face.

Steve Bruce is good at getting medicore teams promoted to the Premier League. Last time I checked though, Newcastle were not in The Championship.
Justice for the 96!

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14027 on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:41 am »
The gulf in quality between Rafa and Steve Bruce is as great as that between Rafa and Owl Face.

Steve Bruce is good at getting medicore teams promoted to the Premier League. Last time I checked though, Newcastle were not in The Championship.

Give it a season mate.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #14028 on: July 11, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
Mark Hughes must be in the mix you'd think
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14029 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:12 am »

Id actually say Hodgson is a better manager than Steve Bruce, although the latter is more likeable. (Not saying much there like) :o

And Allardyce has already been there once. He'd never turn down an easy pay day though of course, so if he's snubbed the Toon you know the situation is bad.

EDIT: It occurs to me that there might not be many managers from the merry go round out there who'll want to follow Rafa because when the club falls flat on it's arse their limitations will be brutally exposed.  If they're in the bottom three complaints about transfer budgets and player quality and missed signings will cut little ice when people can point to what Rafa accomplished with mostly the same squad.

It could really damage their future earnings potential with some other hapless, newly promoted club.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:41:42 am by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14030 on: July 11, 2019, 10:10:14 am »
Brucie will have them rocking, we might even our first game of the season for once.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #14031 on: July 11, 2019, 10:48:43 am »
Joe Kinnear is still alive isn't he?

He would surely like another crack at it and he'd be keen to work with some of the 'triffic players there such as Fabian Shorts, Jamaal Lasette and Martin Dobranka.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14032 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:51 am »
To think it couldn't get worse they want Allardyce.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #14033 on: July 11, 2019, 11:15:51 am »
Times reporting that Bruce has asked Sheff. Wed permission to talk to Newcastle. Sheff. Wed reluctant to allow this. Given that they allowed him to take an extended holiday before joining (albeit one delayed by bereavement), I wouldn't be surprised if they were resentful about his conduct

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14034 on: July 11, 2019, 11:20:29 am »
Times reporting that Bruce has asked Sheff. Wed permission to talk to Newcastle. Sheff. Wed reluctant to allow this. Given that they allowed him to take an extended holiday before joining (albeit one delayed by bereavement), I wouldn't be surprised if they were resentful about his conduct

It's not like Bruce doesn't have previous for this though.  They must have known that if they gave him the job he'd be off like a shot when the whiff of a better offer came along. He's managed something like 11 clubs in 20 years.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14036 on: July 11, 2019, 12:18:54 pm »
It's not like Bruce doesn't have previous for this though.  They must have known that if they gave him the job he'd be off like a shot when the whiff of a better offer came along. He's managed something like 11 clubs in 20 years.
He leaves at the drop of a hat.  He’s not a terrible manager, but he’s nowhere near the quality needed to keep that squad in the league.

What is extraordinary is how little Ashley has developed the club.  Take away the TV money and almost nothing has changed.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14037 on: July 11, 2019, 12:40:28 pm »
So Steve Bruce has been staying at Mike Ashley’s hotel and claiming it back on expenses, is that right?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14038 on: July 11, 2019, 01:26:34 pm »

It's ridiculous.  Shows he's a money many rather than a football man.  He knows he'll have fuck all to work with but will happily pick up the pay check.  Plenty of clubs can be ruthless towards a manager who doesn't produce immediate results, but the flip side are the career managers who have no interest in getting involved in a project or building something.

Newcastle might be a bigger club than Sheffield Weds, but they're hardly the better offer. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #14039 on: July 11, 2019, 01:36:00 pm »
I wonder how much the valuation of Newcastle dropped after Rafa's left.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953