Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake (with added Rebirth)  (Read 27679 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake
« Reply #360 on: February 7, 2024, 08:25:42 am »
Standard 'Shut up and take my money' meme

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Remake (with added Rebirth)
« Reply #361 on: February 9, 2024, 04:28:25 pm »
I really need to jump on Intergrade at some point, still haven't played it.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2024, 02:55:32 pm »
Seems Rebirth is freaking amazing.

93 score on Metacritic.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2024, 04:09:37 pm »
Was trying to finish my replay of FF7 OG before the 29th to refresh my memory of the story (my memories of the Cloud/Zack stuff is pretty hazy, I remember not really getting it back in the day) but pretty unlikely I'll get it done before then. Guess I'll just have to go into it semi-blind.

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2024, 02:26:20 am »
Was trying to finish my replay of FF7 OG before the 29th to refresh my memory of the story (my memories of the Cloud/Zack stuff is pretty hazy, I remember not really getting it back in the day) but pretty unlikely I'll get it done before then. Guess I'll just have to go into it semi-blind.
I played it 2 years ago and it's still a story told very badly imo, I barely understood anything and that's with having the context for Zack. It's like they forgot to put in a bunch of exposition. I think it's a combination of the famously bad translation, and the understandably low quality of the ingame cutscenes not conveying the intention of the developers.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2024, 01:38:31 pm »
Finally decided to play Intermission ahead of Rebirth's release. It was alright, more of the same really while giving Yuffie a bit more attention than she had previously. Was kind of surprised when the game told me I wouldn't be back to the slums for a while, then it ended before I had a chance to return, but it was just a little DLC so whatever.

Really looking forward to Rebirth, of the three potential games they've split the original into this looks like it'll be the biggest, with so many locations unlocking in the middle part of the game.

I did find the wealth of materia available a bit pointless in Remake, most of it just ended up getting ignored so I could focus on leveling the handful that was really useful. Maybe that was just me and a better player could make better use of them, but with it all being so linear there wasn't really time for that.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: February 29, 2024, 04:07:43 pm »
It's fantastic .
No time for caution.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: February 29, 2024, 10:22:29 pm »
About 3 hours in so far. Looks promising for when you're into the swing of things, but extremely daunting to begin with. Kalm is absolutely massive now, and there's tutorials up the wazoo.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #368 on: March 1, 2024, 11:53:40 am »
3-4 hours in and it is class. I could not finish Remake on Hard mode unfortunately, got to Shinra tower and ran out of time before this one and never even did Intermission so did not get Ramuh, shame but I shall for the second playthrough, looks awesome, mad how big Kalm was considering it was like 2 houses, the square and that's about it before!

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #369 on: March 1, 2024, 07:43:48 pm »
Just a pity the upscaling in performance mode is so bad. Wish more games had that same third option Horizon FW has.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #370 on: March 1, 2024, 10:28:51 pm »
Queens blood is going to do my fucking head in but the game is visually stunning.

I am going to play it so casually so will stay pretty clear of spoilers and probably this thread for the next 3 months.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: March 4, 2024, 11:07:58 am »
I've put a lot of time into it already, I like how they've tended to keep a lot of moments from the original game in there even if the order of events or circumstances have changed, since seeing those moments in high quality is the best part of the game for me.

It does feel a bit like two games at times, exploring the towns and the mix of main/side quests is one experience while the open world stuff almost feels separate. The open world stuff is fun but I can see it grating towards the end if you try to do everything, while the town/story stuff is amazing. Hopefully there's a way to new game+ it and just play through the story with maxed out characters.

I wasn't a fan of Queens Blood at first but now that I have a decent selection of cards it's growing on me.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #372 on: March 4, 2024, 11:55:15 am »
10 hours into Rebirth now...

Just arrived past the caves into the Junon area... I 100% the Grasslands area and was amazed at how expansive they made a super empty area in the original feel, it has been an excellent journey so far and the combat is far better than in Remake with just a few tweaks, realy really enjoying this.

Elenea was an annoying little bitch, not the fight, she got clapped, just her dialogue lol

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2024, 02:05:56 pm »
Got to Gold Saucer yesterday and man this game blows me away. They really went all out with features and enviroments in this one.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2024, 03:28:19 pm »
Absolutely despise Chadley. He's actively a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. Every non-main story activity involves him pecking Cloud's head with his inane, nondescript dialogue every 10 seconds, and it's affecting the pacing when he's ringing you every time you find something interesting on the world map. Then he has the audacity to give me a performance review when I ignore him. "Sorry Cloud, I notice that intel gathering has slowed down". What you gonna do, fire me from doing you favours? Fuck off.

I do like this game a lot but there's a fair amount of Ubisoft-ification here. A shit load of map markers and busywork, most of which doesn't feel particularly rewarding upon completion. Scanning 4 crystals to make a VR summon fight easier? Scanning a lifestream fountain to get lore on the area? You could get by on just doing the protorelic quests, dangerous fiend encounters and excavating for treasure.

Not trying to be a hater but I dunno; this doesn't need to be a 100 hour game. Remove half the annoying mini-games (Tifa's crunches can absolutely get in the bin), condense the amount of busywork on the world map and reduce the amount of pointless dialogue, and you'd have a genuine GOTY contender and possible all-timer. Square are clearly very good at expanding spaces that are actually lived in; Kalm, Junon and Costa Del Sol are all absolutely phenomenal locales and I've enjoyed spending times at these locations more than I have the actual open world.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2024, 03:39:47 pm »
Absolutely despise Chadley. He's actively a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. Every non-main story activity involves him pecking Cloud's head with his inane, nondescript dialogue every 10 seconds, and it's affecting the pacing when he's ringing you every time you find something interesting on the world map. Then he has the audacity to give me a performance review when I ignore him. "Sorry Cloud, I notice that intel gathering has slowed down". What you gonna do, fire me from doing you favours? Fuck off.

I do like this game a lot but there's a fair amount of Ubisoft-ification here. A shit load of map markers and busywork, most of which doesn't feel particularly rewarding upon completion. Scanning 4 crystals to make a VR summon fight easier? Scanning a lifestream fountain to get lore on the area? You could get by on just doing the protorelic quests, dangerous fiend encounters and excavating for treasure.

Not trying to be a hater but I dunno; this doesn't need to be a 100 hour game. Remove half the annoying mini-games (Tifa's crunches can absolutely get in the bin), condense the amount of busywork on the world map and reduce the amount of pointless dialogue, and you'd have a genuine GOTY contender and possible all-timer. Square are clearly very good at expanding spaces that are actually lived in; Kalm, Junon and Costa Del Sol are all absolutely phenomenal locales and I've enjoyed spending times at these locations more than I have the actual open world.

I agree that the activities in the open world is very Ubisoft bloat. But for some reason I don't mind it so much because the world looks pretty and I like how it ties all the locations together. Plus running around with the amazing music is just a joy too.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: March 15, 2024, 06:50:29 pm »

Yeah agree, I'm actually looking forward to finishing it so that I can go back and just play the actual game without all of the side stuff. Mai is even more annoying than Chodeley too, I've had to repeat a few fiend intel's to complete the todo list and she rambles on about the history of the creature every single time.

One thing that bugs me about modern triple AAA games in general is how much they interrupt me. Walk into a room and the camera pulls away to a ladder I need to climb, reach a scenic spot and my character is forced to slow walk past, approach a puzzle and a voice over tells me exactly what I need to do, etc. Rebirth is especially annoying for this as each open world section is already repetitive, so the constant interruptions to already mundane tasks really starts to grate around the 3rd/4th region.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #377 on: March 15, 2024, 09:02:18 pm »
I love most of the open world busy work/side quests here compared to most other games, the music and characters are all pretty great and reward enough in themselves. But it just completely kills the pacing of the main storyline. Easy to go 10 or 20 hours between story beats.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #378 on: March 15, 2024, 10:02:18 pm »
Absolutely despise Chadley. He's actively a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. Every non-main story activity involves him pecking Cloud's head with his inane, nondescript dialogue every 10 seconds, and it's affecting the pacing when he's ringing you every time you find something interesting on the world map

"Hey, listen! Watch out!"
"Hey Cloud, it's Chadley. Let's go bowling."
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: March 15, 2024, 11:39:47 pm »
I love most of the open world busy work/side quests here compared to most other games, the music and characters are all pretty great and reward enough in themselves. But it just completely kills the pacing of the main storyline. Easy to go 10 or 20 hours between story beats.

I spent a good few hours clearing all of the intel in one region, with the plan being that I would then get to spend a good chunk of time on the story before the next region unlocks. When I finally got to the story I was given 5 minutes of cutscenes and then straight into another region full of side tasks.

That was the point where I stopped doing them all. Now I check Chadley in each region to see if he has any materia desperately worth getting.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2024, 02:18:36 pm »
Fuck the Gongaga region. Fuck it very hard.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2024, 03:10:44 pm »
Fuck the Gongaga region. Fuck it very hard.

Zack's not gonna stand for slander of his home region.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2024, 03:24:45 pm »
Finished it a few days ago.

Spoiler
Glad the story stayed largely true to the original, aside from the unfortunate return of Whispers. I'm not sure the Aerith moment landed quite as well as the original, though presumably we'll see it again properly when Cloud stops living in denial of it happening.

Cloud definitely looks more fucked up in this iteration, he doesn't know who he is at all and seems to have little control left. That was true for the original game too but it only affected a few moments.
[close]

They've done a good job with New Game+ it seems like, you can hop back to a chapter, complete a bit of it, then jump to a different chapter/difficulty and do other bits. You can choose to reset different bits of progress or keep everything, allowing you to replay the main story without any world intel left to do. There are also some extra settings that become available, like you can enable auto-collection of crafting materials and disable Mai's fiend intel introductions for the ones you've already completed. If only there was an option to disable non-essential Chadley yammering it would be perfect.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2024, 04:45:36 pm »
Just arrived in the Nibel region and snagged the Chocobo right away, it is 100% the best one so far for movement etc... I really disliked the Gongaga one and that region layout in general.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2024, 04:51:34 pm »
Just arrived in the Nibel region and snagged the Chocobo right away, it is 100% the best one so far for movement etc... I really disliked the Gongaga one and that region layout in general.

Yeah, making the mushrooms essential for reaching certain areas, but with no indication of where they are on the map and no way of knowing where they'll actually launch you to was frustrating. I lost track of how many times I managed to get within 100 metres of a marker but couldn't get closer, stepped on a mushroom, then ended up half a kilometre away.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2024, 06:16:18 pm »
The mushroom minigame in Gongaga I couldn't figure out either  ;D

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2024, 06:25:15 pm »
The mushroom minigame in Gongaga I couldn't figure out either  ;D

Yeah it's not clear, you need to move the stick in each direction and see how far the mushroom moves, then select the directions it moves the most in first. Apparently pressing the triggers while testing each direction is a really good indicator too, but I got by with the thumbstick so I never tried it.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #387 on: April 10, 2024, 09:38:32 am »
Finished Rebirth yesterday after a 2 week break due to burnout.

Spoiler
Everything was fantastic until the ending which similar to Remake didn't land well and I needed a youtube video or two to figure out exactly what was happening.
[close]

Currently at work so will expand more later
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:43:18 am by OsirisMVZ »