Author Topic: Fortress Anfield  (Read 16748 times)

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
Fortress Anfield
« on: October 20, 2004, 09:38:46 am »
since graz defeat.......five games played, 10 goals for and only one against, 4 wins and a draw and some fantastic football been played, our home form in recent seasons was poor and people thought it a chore to go to Anfield on matchday, but Rafa has really got us flying at home and Anfield could soon be a place to fear again and become again Fortress Anfield

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
Re: Fortress Anfield
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 10:27:49 am »
Something positive to take from last night I suppose.
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Coyney

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:00:22 pm »
we palyed well last night and deserved more credit from us fans. its very good that its a fortress and will help us greatly throughout this season.
O danny boy

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:02:18 pm »
i dont think we will lose many home games this season, more importantly, we will win rather more than we have recently, and we will score goals. fortress anfield indeed.
77-78-81-84-05

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 12:06:27 pm »
Wait until Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea have been and left empty handed.

Then we can talk about fortress Anfield.  ;)

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 12:36:59 pm »
cant wait till they do, our home form is excellent and they should fear coming to us

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 01:50:06 pm »
Wait until Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea have been and left empty handed.

Then we can talk about fortress Anfield.  ;)

I don't think any of those three teams are MUCH better than Deportivo. I agree with Benitez when he said that perfomance was their best under his tenure.
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 01:57:14 pm »
not to worried about the Mancs, arse, or chelsea - they come here to attack - it's everton's avoid defeat at all possible costs and shite teams like that who come for a draw that have in the past usually got a draw.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 01:59:39 pm »

I don't think any of those three teams are MUCH better than Deportivo. I agree with Benitez when he said that perfomance was their best under his tenure.

Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea will come to Anfield to win, Deportivo didn't!

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 02:22:43 pm »
Quite disappointed with the crowd last night given the recent home form. Maybe we were all a bit too unsure as to which Liverpool was going to turn out, but we played some good stuff at times and still the crowd was fairly flat. We didn't even give a YNWA at closing time either which surprised me.

**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 02:34:34 pm »

Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea will come to Anfield to win, Deportivo didn't!

Chelsea? I doubt it very much. Arsenal and Manchester surely, but they  will leave far more gaps at the back. Let us see how the lovely passing style of Arsenal fares against a team that pressurize them like Liverpool did yesterday (Deportivo could/ can (?) pass you off the park, ask Arsenal supporters).
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 04:27:23 pm »
4 Premiership goals conceded this year, one defeat this year. Think it's going back that way isn't it?

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 04:43:42 pm »
i dont think we will lose many home games this season, more importantly, we will win rather more than we have recently, and we will score goals. fortress anfield indeed.

Here's the cue for a Charlton win :(
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 04:46:10 pm »
 ;D
well i have cursed us before.  :-[i was supremely confident (for some reason) before chelsea.

ok then, i take it back, we're going to get smacked, danny murphy will score a free kick and we'll let kevin lisbie get another hattrick.
 :D
77-78-81-84-05

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 04:46:23 pm »
4 Premiership goals conceded this year, one defeat this year. Think it's going back that way isn't it?

???

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 06:28:08 pm »
Anfield's going back to a fortress mate. Was agreeing with the original point, since January we've conceded 4 at home in the league and have only lost once in all competitions.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 10:39:16 pm »
I hope so, theres nothing worse than dropping lots of points at home
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Pacific

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 07:44:02 am »
It has been a pleasure to watch the reds at Anfield this year (Graz apart). Some of the best football I've seen for the best part of 14years and it is only early days for the new gaffer......can't wait for him to mould the team a little more in January.

All teams are now sitting up and looking at our home form again - make no mistake....the league games against West Brom, Norwich and Man City we should have won. The difference to previous seasons is that we did, and in style. We've got a the several games coming up that again we should win (Charlton, Blackburn, Birmingham), then we get onto the crunchy ones of Arsenal, Newcastle and Everton. We should have a fully fit Gerrard back for those......looks good doesn't it!
Everton are shit

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 10:59:39 am »
Quite disappointed with the crowd last night given the recent home form. Maybe we were all a bit too unsure as to which Liverpool was going to turn out, but we played some good stuff at times and still the crowd was fairly flat. We didn't even give a YNWA at closing time either which surprised me.

think YNWA is for when were minutes away from winning
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 08:43:34 am »
another win in fortress anfield

Offline Pacific

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 08:53:04 am »
And again....a pleasure to be there.
Everton are shit

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 09:39:11 am »
Think the Kops slowly getting louder too which is great. JAR's song got a good airing(a personal favrouite) :)
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 12:11:59 pm »
even CK  reckons its becoming a fortress again...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N146458041025-1403.htm

Chris Kirkland believes turning Anfield into the fortress it once was is the key to Liverpool re-establishing themselves as serious title contenders.
Following Saturday's 2-0 victory over Charlton the Reds now boast the only one hundred per cent home league record in the country.

It's a throwback to the era when Liverpool were virtually unbeatable in front of the Kop and Kirkland insists: "You've got to go into every home game thinking you won't be beaten and that's how we feel now.

"That's how the top sides feel when we go to their place and it has to be the same for us.

"We have to tell ourselves 'This is Anfield'. It's our home and we want to intimidate teams when they come here. This has to be a tough place for teams to visit.

"I came here as a Coventry player and I know how difficult it is. When the fans and players are both on song, any side will struggle against us."

Kirkland had little to do as the Reds kept another clean sheet on home soil against the Addicks. The young keeper admits confidence is high but that this impressive form at Anfield must be repeated on their travels.

He adds: "We're playing with a lot of confidence at Anfield now, especially going forward. We've got a lot of quick players and when you've got Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso, you're talking about two very creative lads who can pick out the right pass all the time.

"Xabi is great the way he just picks everything up in front of the defence and keeps us going forward. We're a lot more dangerous now, but we have to produce the same away from home."

# Between January 1978 and January 1981 Liverpool went a record 63 home games without defeat. :o :o

Be good if we coul get half of That record going...
JFT 96

Offline klikkaður karl

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 12:24:37 pm »
I hope Anfield/stanley park will be the greatest fortress in europe for upcoming years
we all dream of a team of Carraghers

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 2, 2006, 01:29:18 pm »
Despite so much recent criticism of his side, Benitez is in the midst of an impressive run of home form.

Liverpool are unbeaten in 21 matches at Anfield in the Premiership.

Chelsea are the last visiting team to win there in the league, or even score more than one goal.

That was 13 months ago. During that period Liverpool have won 18 Premiership home games, and drawn three while conceding just seven goals. They have kept 14 clean sheets.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 3, 2012, 02:01:06 pm »
next 3 games at home Udinesse, Stoke and Reading, as I started this topic way back when Rafa took over he made a good start at Anfield, lets hope Brendan can do the same, our home for over the last year or so has been way below what we'd expect, lets get that form back, I can recall going unbeaten all season not so long ago under Rafa

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 3, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »
need to start being brutal against these so called smaller teams, three good wins here would send out a message. how we perform against the teams outside the top 5 will be a big factor in how we progress this season. a lot of these teams we didnt turn up against last season, especially at home
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #27 on: October 3, 2012, 04:35:32 pm »
Lets twat Stoke this weekend. Really play em off the fucking park. If we can do that to that shower then we really will be up and running. No silly free kicks conceded. No stupid throws given away. Really intelligent fast paced passing football to show those gimps what real football is all about.

I already believe we are getting there but a good thumping of the anti-football team this weekend would go along way to putting the shits up a fair few of the premier leagues more agricultural outfits.

Here's hoping.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 3, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »
next 3 games at home Udinesse, Stoke and Reading, as I started this topic way back when Rafa took over he made a good start at Anfield, lets hope Brendan can do the same, our home for over the last year or so has been way below what we'd expect, lets get that form back, I can recall going unbeaten all season not so long ago under Rafa

I hope so too but I'd like to see a big run put together at home first before we invoke the 'Fortress Anfield' name.

Offline Gallardo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: October 3, 2012, 08:42:54 pm »
We need to build the fortress again. It won't happen overnight. I'm fed up of these shitty teams upping their game against us at anfield because they've seen other teams get good results here over the last year or so and feel they can get the same. Most PL teams go to the etihad or the theatre of shit expecting a defeat, so they don't give 100%. This is the status we need to achieve again, where players arrive at anfield in fear.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #30 on: October 3, 2012, 11:18:50 pm »
Thought I'd gone back in time for a second.

Bit early for a bump didi?

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #31 on: October 4, 2012, 08:26:00 am »

Under Bill and Bob we could go for seasons without being beaten at Anfield
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 4, 2012, 08:31:56 am »
Classic, reading the early part of this thread.  'When Rafa was a newbie'.

I don't think anything has changed.  Our home form is key to CL football.  We have to get ruthless at home and then work on things away.  Stoke and Reading offer some opportunities, but we all know how weak we have been against opposition like this in the past.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 4, 2012, 08:36:40 am »
Thought I'd gone back in time for a second.

Bit early for a bump didi?

sorry, couldint find a thread bout our home form and done a quick search and hey presto i started one 8 year ago!! must been having them thoughts again what with new manager again, lets hope it pans out the same way as the manager back then.....we have four consecutive games at Anfield now, just thought it was appropriate give our recent form at home

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 4, 2012, 09:01:36 am »

“THE Crazy Gang have beaten the Culture Club,” shrieked John Motson after Liverpool were humbled by Wimbledon in the 1988 FA Cup final.

There may not be any silverware at stake at Anfield on Sunday. But the clash of styles will be similarly pronounced.

Arguably the ultimate test of Brendan Rodgers’ much-chewed-over philosophy comes with the visit of Tony Pulis and Stoke City.

The Potters have proven hugely effective – earning mid-table respectability since promotion to the Premier League in 2008 and reaching the FA Cup final last year – with a brand of football that relies heavily on pace, power and aerial prowess at set-pieces.

That would seem the antithesis of the ‘tiki taka’ approach Rodgers is striving to drum into teams across the board at Liverpool.

Stoke, of course, have proven a thorn in the side of previous managers, with Rafael Benitez, Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish all left disgruntled at some point after encountering Pulis and his players.

Sunday, though, will be more revealing than any other recent meeting.

Certainly, Stoke have lost none of their obduracy. While having lost to only Chelsea in the top-flight this season, their first four games resulted in draws with their last outing a 2-0 win over Rodgers’ former side Swansea City.

The style of their opponents is one thing with which Rodgers must contend on Sunday.

The other, though, has proven far more long-term and debilitating.

‘This Is Anfield’ says the sign in the tunnel. And too many Premier League visitors in recent times have walked out having seen that message and thought ‘Good, we’ll have a chance today’.

Defeat to Manchester United in their last outing should have been hard to take, yet many home supporters numbed by almost 18 months of Anfield underachievement merely shrugged their shoulders and trudged out the stadium.

Liverpool have won only six of their last 23 home league games. And with their next four outings coming at Anfield – Stoke’s visit follows the Europa League clash against Udinese, with Reading and Anzhi Makhachkala to come after the international break – it’s a shortcoming that will be given a severe test in the next few weeks.

Indeed, only FC Gomel have been beaten at home under Rodgers, who was at least buoyed by a first Premier League win in the 5-2 romp at Norwich City last weekend after the Capital One Cup triumph at West Bromwich Albion.

“I love being at Anfield,” says the Northern Irishman. “There is a real excitement every time we play here and we are given tremendous support.

“We went to West Brom and Norwich and the away ends are packed out, but there’s nothing like playing at home.

“We want to gain momentum and build up a winning streak. October was always going to be a great month in terms of not so much travel and giving us a real opportunity to play in front of our fans and show the development we have had as a team.”

Luis Suarez’s hat-trick at Carrow Road can’t disguise the fact that Liverpool, thanks to their clumsy handling of the final few days of the transfer window, remain light on options in attack.

That point will be underlined at the weekend when they could conceivably come up against two of their former forwards.

Peter Crouch’s match-winning brace against Swansea City underlines the 32-year-old has lost none of his awkward potency, while Michael Owen, rescued from the free agent wasteland by Pulis last month, will be desperate to appear, albeit most likely from the bench.

Neither seemingly fits into Rodgers’ template, so their fortunes on Sunday will make for intriguing viewing. So too Charlie Adam, who will hope for an outing having been moved on to the Britannia Stadium during the summer.

Andy Carroll’s loan to West Ham United has left Fabio Borini, a £10.4million summer signing from Roma, as Liverpool’s only other available senior striker.

While no player has appeared more for Liverpool this season, the Italian has netted only once – on his Anfield debut against Gomel in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

But Rodgers, who signed Borini on loan while at Swansea City towards the end of the 2010-11 campaign, has every faith the forward will prove a long-term success.

“Fabio was brought in here for the present and the future,” says the Liverpool manager. “He’s a young player I know very well and over time he will only get better and better.

“He is a strong character. Over time he will prove himself. To come to a massive club at 21 is a big ask. But I wouldn’t have brought him here and paid the money for him if he couldn’t do it.

“He probably hasn’t scored as many goals as he would have wanted to. In fairness to him, I’ve been playing him in his number two position, he is better playing through the middle.

“My project for him coming in was more for the cup competitions and to then grow himself in the Premier League, but because of where we are at, I have had to push him in that wee bit quicker.”

One criticism of Borini is that his small physical stature will be to his detriment in the hurly-burly of the Premier League against opponents such as Stoke.

But Rodgers says: “I don’t think he is lightweight. His power and his pace and strength are his good points. But as a striker you are judged on your goals.”

Borini himself is convinced the goals will eventually flow and revealed he has already gained a reputation for being something of a slow starter each season.

“It’s just a matter of time for me,” says the Italian. “The same thing happened last season. I scored one goal before October, then got injured for three months and after that I scored my second goal in January.

“From January until March I scored 10 goals. I know from past experience that the goals will come. In Swansea I scored six goals from March until May.

“I am always late. But the goals do come! Suarez is the centre-forward for us and he has scored five goals in six games. I know I have been bought to score goals but I don’t feel the pressure. I know it will come.”

Add a commentRecommend (1)

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/liverpool-football/2012/10/04/99623-31960634/#ixzz28Ja9pZAZ

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #35 on: October 4, 2012, 09:27:04 am »
not to worried about the Mancs, arse, or chelsea - they come here to attack - it's everton's avoid defeat at all possible costs and shite teams like that who come for a draw that have in the past usually got a draw.

A post from 8 years ago that is still completely relevant to the Liverpool of today.

#worrying
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #36 on: October 4, 2012, 10:01:59 am »
Lets twat Stoke this weekend. Really play em off the fucking park.

Love it
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #37 on: October 4, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »
Wholly shit... :o

"Liverpool have won only six of their last 23 home league games"
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #38 on: October 4, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »
Winning would be great, and keeping a clean sheet would be immense.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline SexyFootball

• Main Stander
  • What a Hit Son!
« Reply #39 on: October 4, 2012, 01:26:19 pm »
The term 'Fortress Anfield' will return! Our three home games to date have been Man City, the 2nd team in Manchester & Arsenal, against the two Manchester teams we were the better team, I know its easy to say now but with a bit of luck (how often has that been said) we could have gotten 6 points from those games. There is no reason we cant go through the rest of the league season undefeated at home! As was previously said it will begin with convincing victories (hopefully) against Stoke & Reading. Borini is due a brace...
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”