Author Topic: Cpt_Reina and I had a blether  (Read 9966 times)

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
Cpt_Reina and I had a blether
« on: November 2, 2012, 07:36:29 pm »
Mr Dilkington

It's Monday the 29th of October, the day after the derby draw, which should have been a win. Liverpool have played 9 games in the league, 3 in the Europa League proper, and 1 in the Carling cup. That's 13 games to scrutinise and pick holes out of. To start things off... a pretty general question: have things turned out as you expected thus far?

Cpt_Reina

I tried to come in to the season with no real expectations, but I did believe some things might come to pass.

Year zero has a phrase oft heard during the summer when the coaching set up was being ripped apart, and then sellotaped back together. We were told it was a brave new dawn with that whole committee thing that never manifested itself. Turns out it was being overstated a little. But it was a new dawn nonetheless.

And so I decided I might as well go along with it.

Rodgers is a very young coach, we have a very young club in so many ways. From the owners being inexperienced to the players from the academy being drafted in to plug gaps in the squad. It's all a bit raw.

So the 'year zero' thing makes sense. If not for the radical new approach, that turned out to not be so radical. Then for the premise that this is the first year of a similar project. But one with a long term outlook.

I thought we'd struggle to score goals, and we have. I thought Rodgers would make mistakes, and I believe he has. I assumed that it'd take time for things to get moving, and it is.

But most of all I hoped that we'd learn things this season. I hoped we'd learn which young players would be able to step up to the mark. I hoped to learn something about our manager, whether he was too wedded to his 'system' or whether like all truly great coaches he could adapt. I hoped we'd learn whether he can make the big calls.

That learning process is ongoing. Answers are slowly appearing in the middle distance for some of the questions and others are increasingly veiled in the autumnal fog that's creeping in.

Last season, for all that I love Kenny and feel he should have been given longer, I felt like we were no longer learning anything. The team was making the same mistakes and expecting different results. Perhaps it's only superficial, but I do feel a bit of a momentum shift in that respect.

It's definitely interesting. And seeing as ive not come in 'expecting' anything I dont feel let down nor do I feel especially empowered. But im definitely interested.

Mr Dilkington

I think that's the key point here. Most of the fan base seem to accept that this project is going to take time. Hopefully it remains that way, because things grow much more organically that way I find; also there's less thumping of hands and feet when things don't go our way. I suppose the fact that we are regularly starting with three teenagers in Suso, Sterling, and Wisdom forces a bit of perspective amongst the fans. What were your expectations going into the season, and have they changed after what we've seen so far?

Cpt_Reina

All I expect is that by the end of the season Rodgers has an understanding of how to get to where he wants to be.

That'll include all manner of things. The kids are providing as many questions as they are answers at the minute. Sterling has come in and looked the part right off the bat. But what does that mean for the transfer window(s). Does it mean Rodgers can forget about that left wing now that he's impressed there and Assaidi has looked lively as an alternative? If so then what does that mean for the protection and progress of that particular 17 year old?

Does Wisdom's progress mean it might be time to move Kelly inside? What knock on effects would that have?

There are so many questions about and just when you think you might have one answered it means another one needs to be asked.

As long as Rodgers continues to discover as he goes along then I'll be happy. He learned that the kids were good to get a run, so he gave them one. Things like that will keep this season ticking along. The information wont just come in shovels, it's going to be drip fed as we go. This season, rather than being a blockbuster will turn our to be more of a serial. New episodes every few weeks. New intrigue as storylines develop alongside each other.

One thing that does need to be mentioned though I feel is the effect not having Lucas has had on the first few months of Rodgers' learning curve.

I feel like almost every opinion and outcome thus far should have an astrix next to it

*Without Lucas

His return will affect the way we as a team play so much that even things we feel at this stage are 'true' or factual could be prone to fluctuating.

Mr Dilkington

It's something I've been thinking about myself actually... there's no doubting that the squad is lacking in certain areas, but on the flip side of that it looks tremendously strong in others. But sometimes you have to look past the numbers. For example, we're doing pretty well in terms of centre midfielders, but there's no one else in our squad that has the skill set Lucas possesses. Allen has been doing a pretty good job of it, but it's not a role he's totally comfortable with you feel. That was shown against Udinese in particular, their midfield players managed to run off him on a few occasions, and you have to think had Lucas been on the pitch, would we have conceded three? The lads on the Anfield Wrap said we missed a Didi Hamman against Everton... we missed Lucas, and will continue to miss him until he returns. That leads me nicely into the next question... and it's one Rodgers will have to answer very soon. When Lucas does return, how does he change things up? Does he put Lucas as a sole pivot with two ahead, or does he put Allen alongside Lucas and push Gerrard and Sahin up the field? It's quite fortunate in a way, because there is a risk of Suso and Sterling being over exposed. We don't want two teenagers playing 30 plus a season... we've seen from Being: Liverpool that Rodgers is open to the idea of Gerrard in a wide position, so in time, does it become Gerrard wide right, then a group of Sterling, Suso, Downing, and Assaidi fighting for that left wing berth?

Cpt_Reina

I think Rodgers does see himself playing a '2 and a 1'. He damn near said as much in that interview he did with RAWK (amongst others).

You're absolutely right about Lucas being the only player on our books who allows that subtle, but significant change in shape to occur.

It's tempting to dismiss the effect moving Allen forward a bit as a means to changing the mentality and set up of our entire approach but I believe it's highly significant.

We've seen how good Allen is at receiving the ball under pressure and in tight spaces, if he can do that higher up the pitch then the danger which he provides goes through the roof. To have a player capable of taking the ball in, turning, and then finding a man in the opponents half is a nightmare for the defending team. It turns them and puts them on the back foot incredibly quickly.

We've not seen Allen provide that so much approaching the final third of the pitch thus far. But it's not to be understated. The possible effect it could have on the front line's collective game is far reaching. Partcularly for someone like Sterling. I dont buy all this 'Allen's not adventourous enough with his passing' Shearer-ism. We've seen at youth and reserve level how effective Adorjan was at releasing Sterling once he got turned. Allen could potentiall bring a similar approach. Of course that's a very specific example but there general approach he could entice is something to look forward to.

Lucas as the one and Allen as one of the two look certs. That leaves one position in the middle to be taken. And 3 possible candidates.

Rodgers loves Shelvey, that much is clear. And Shelvey lacks the versitility to play anywhere else really. So he'll be in contention for it. Given his fluctating form that'll most likely be in rotation.

Sahin similar. Im a bit nonplussed about him to be honest. He's got a touch of class but I dont know what he's best at. From watching him occasionally in Germany I always thought he was more comfortable in deeper positions. Pulling and probing. But with a bit of mobility and instinct to bomb on occasionally. But here Rodgers seems to think he should be doing it rather more than occasionally. I just dont know if he's all that good at it. Im not saying he's not. I just cant figure him out.

That leaves Gerrard. Rodgers' comment about him being part of the front three almost slipped under the radar but it was highly significant.

Gerrard on the right has taken on a sort of life of its own as some sort of default setting people grasp at when things arent going for him through the middle. It's almost become a parody. But I genuinely believe it has it's merits.

It allows him freedom whilst still giving him boundries. It allows him to be in the final third of the pitch, with the ball at his feet. And if there's one thing we know about Gerrard it's that he has an end product. He can pick out a player in the box rather than just deliver it to that general area. He can time his runs. He does have a desire to get in to the box to score them. And he's produced in that position before. That cross Gerrard is able to counjure from deep is amongst the most dangerous ball in football. It's an absolute nightmare. And he has it down to a tee. It's the sort of cross/pass that Borini or a proper no09 would score a shed load of goals from, Suarez perhaps not so much. I dont think he makes the 6 yard box his home enough to benefit from it properly. But that's another discussion.

So, yeah. I would hope that Rodgers does see him taking on that role. He can come and go in the centre if we need him to. Suso can come in and fill in on the right or indeed Borini when he's back, or even Luis. But I would like to see Gerrard get a run there.

I dont think he's nailed down a position in the middle.

But then I dont think anyone's nailed down that second position in the '2'. There's cases to be made for and against Shelvey, Sahin and Gerrard.

I left Anfield last Thursday night after seeing Suarez occupy that space on the pitch for the entire time he was playing thinking he sould be given a spell there, but given the lack of an alternative for the position he currently occupies that's not a goer for the time being.

I've had Suarez playing in 3 different positions as the year's gone on. But none of them is the one he's currently playing.

It seems backwards to say it, as he's our top scorer and just bagged a brace nee hattrick against Everton. But he doesnt score the types of goals that I'd like my no9 to score. The goals against Everton weren't strikers goals.

One (two) from set peices and another which he simply hammered across the goal. Were it not for Baines I dont think it'd have got near the net.

His goals are odds and sods. There's no thread to them. Case and point would be him going through 1 on 1 against Norwich, missing, badly. Then stealing the ball back, megging the defender and scoring with the outside of his boot.

IT's just a little too erratic for what I personally look for from a striker. I tend to believe your go to guy should have less troughs, even if it means less peaks.

I dont see Suarez scoring goals that he couldnt continue scoring from a different position.

And then hopefully you add goals by playing someone up top who doesnt miss the ones Luis does.

If that makes any sense.

Mr Dilkington

Yeah, I think that's something else we have to look forward to re Allen. I remember watching bits and pieces of him against Fulham last season, and he was absolutely terrific. He was playing in that support role ahead of Britton and just behind Sigurdsson, and he was great. He ended up scoring a great goal too, carrying the ball through midfield and showing some fairly decent composure. That wee run against Man City back in August was a lovely glimpse into what we should hopefully see a lot more of when Lucas gets back.

I agree with you on Shelvey. He's clearly a very talented player, but he's yet to level out emotionally and physically I reckon. We saw first hand against Manchester United that he's a heart on the sleeve kind of player, and in the age we live in that kind of tackle always runs the risk of a red card doesn't it? I think he's yet to fill out properly too. There's times he looks incredibly awkward, but when he learns how to use his physique to his advantage, he'll be even harder to pin down. I actually quite like him playing deep (as he did against Everton), but because we're so short on goals, it seems clear that most of his game time will come just behind Suarez.

I'm for Gerrard on the right too. Dunno if you read it, but Yorky did a fantastic piece on the merits of Gerrard wide right, and although it was written some time back, I think it still stands up: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267141.0

To me it just makes sense. We have some good options in the middle... less so out wide. I don't buy into the theory that Gerrard is a liability in centre midfield. I think that's a theory born out of people being obsessed with Barcelona and ironically enough 'Tiki Taka'. People now judge midfielders not by the goals they score or the assists they give, but by how many passes they complete. I think finding the balance between the two is key. Another thing that makes me want to see Gerrard wide right is who he'd be linking up with (normally) - Glen Johnson. How salivating does a partnership between those two sound? Two thoroughbreds playing on the same wing. Both on the same wavelength. Yes, that is something I want to see.

On Suarez... I think I'm more open to the idea of him playing through the middle than you are, although I can completely understand your reservations about him playing there. Who knows, had Borini been played there and started firing, we may not now be talking about Suarez as a number 9. January will give us a good indication of where Rodgers wants to go with the side. There are some sources linking us to Christian Eriksen, and others to Klaas Jan Huntelaar. Whether the rumours have any substance I don't know, but the type of player we buy in January will surely determine where Suarez plays for the remainder of the season.

I think if you get intelligent players to the sides of him, he'll do his job. Also, players who are willing to run into the space, which is probably the most important thing. In time, Sterling could become our Pedro type player who chips in with goals and stretches the play. Right now I think we're a little too easy to defend against. Unless Suarez is 'on it', we look very short up front. That's another reason for Gerrard right wing. Teams will look at a front three containing Sterling, Suarez, and Gerrard. That would be unsettling for any team wouldn't it? That supplemented with a base of Lucas and Allen, with one of Shelvey or Sahin pushing on.

Looking further back in the team, what do you make of the defensive unit thus far? Again I think it's important to say that we haven't really had a full choice defence to call upon week in week out, what with injuries to Kelly, Enrique, and now Johnson. But from what we have seen, your thoughts? One player in particular I'd like to get your thoughts on is big Seba. I'm a fan. I think he's prone to an error here and there, but he came straight out of South American football into the Premier League, and to me he's handled it brilliantly. I just wish I could say the same about our handling of him... To me he is approaching his 'Pique' moment. Pique was clearly rated by the United coaching staff, but at the time he had Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evans all ahead of him in the pecking order. He was 21 and his development was being stunted big time. 12 months after his move away from Old Trafford he was the bedrock of Barcelona's treble success. Coates has just turned 22, and every time he plays he impresses, yet he has two International defenders ahead of him. Coates has been here for well over a year now, and he's yet to make his 20th appearance for the club. Do you think a decision will have to be made sooner rather than later, and we're you intrigued by our switch to 3 at the back last Sunday? Maybe that's the avenue Coates has been waiting for...

Cpt_Reina

I think a front 3 of

Suarez       Borini       Gerrard

Has some real benefits to it. Borini can play all three, Suarez too, Gerrard can drift inside. There's so much scope for fluidity there. What it also allows is the 3 behind them to be more defined in their game time, through the removal of Gerrard. As well as protecting Sterling and Suso. Because right now, there dont seem to have any genuine competition. The nearest we've got is Assaidi, and I'm yet to be fully convinced that he has an end product.

Gerrard on the right also allows a potential partnership between him and Johnson to develop. As we know Gerrard would be playing 'off' the right rather than right on the white line. That means space for Johnson, arguably our second most dangerous attacking outlet so far this season. And if there's anyone who can strike up a rapport with him it's Gerrard.

I didnt get to see the game last night, handy as this is supposed to be an overview of the season thus far, means my mind is unclouded by recent events. But I have seen the goal.

Another excellent delivery from a deep wide position for Gerrard (albeit from the left). I dont know how many times he needs to do it before someone notices how productive it acvtually is but we and England have profited from *that* ball hugely in the past year.

(also another goal that Suarez would have scored regardless of playing through the middle or not). What I find most annoying about that is the fact that from set peices he clearly does have that instinct to get across his man and to attack the ball near or far post. But from open play he just doesnt do it. He likes to drop off in to space rather than attack it.

I suppose the gist of my 'Suarez isnt a no9' arguement is that id prefer the main man in the attack to provide a regular goal every, say, 120mins and perhaps not get a brace or a hattrick that often. I'd like that consisstency. And I dont think Suarez is that man. I think his goals come in waves rather than in drips. He'll get a hattrick against Norwich, and then not score for 2 or 3 games. I feel like he can still do that from starting from a wide position.

You're spot on about the goals not being distributed throughout the team though. Suso and Sterling are huge talents, but goal threats they aint. Yet. And nor should we require them to be.

Suarez through the middle is a marriage of convenience right now, rather than one borne out of unbridled love, I feel.

Unbridled love is a great segway on to Coates. As it's what I have for that 6"6 shaggy dog of a player.

I wrote this;

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=236032.msg10935342#msg10935342

on him after the Udinese game so might end up repeating myself a little.

But the 'Pique moment' is something I'd not considered. I think it's apt.

I came under fire in the summer for being open to the sale of last years player of the year when he was being linked to Man City for £20m+. Whether those rumours were true is another matter, but I maintain it would have been a bit smart to sell him. All hypothetical, as we might have ended up trying to be too smart for our own good but, well...

Coates is incredibly young for his postition, but also incredibly talented. He has years in him yet and I can't recall him ever having a bad game (albeit he's not had that many at all). He's had bad moments, but he's not put in a poor performance.

I reckon a smarter club in our position (rebuilding) would have sold Skrtel when his value was at an all time high, likely never to reach such heights again, and used those funds to improve their squad. Safe in the knowledge that there was a younger, immensely talented player ready to step in for no outlay at all.

I dont think there'd have been much of a drop off in quality personally either. But that is largely based on personal bias rather than any concrete evidence.

But as it stands, he's in the position he's in. And it's not ideal for him one bit.

He needs games, and honestly, he deserves them. But where are they going to come from? Occasionally Carra even makes the bench over him still. It's madness. The only thing more annoying than Carra being there over Coates is when they're on the bench together, but that's a whole other thing. That and Cole would lead me to turn the air blue over Rodgers and I wont do it.

The switch to a 3 was very intriguing. And heartening. I was pleased to see Rodgers had it in him. I remain a little afraid that he is a little too wedded to his 'system' but that showed a willingness and ability to adapt. And it worked for the most part.

It can't hurt Coates for an extra CB slot to become available on occasion, but I get the feeling it'll be a revert to if things arent working type rather than a we'll give this a go for a few games type thing.

Time will tell with that one you feel, but it is something to keep an eye on.

What are your thoughs on Pepe? Out of form or out of touch? I dont know myself. How much longer do we give him to turn it round? On paper he makes much more sense than he does on the pitch right now.

Mr Dilkington

Borini is a funny one. I had only seen bits and pieces of him when he was at Swansea, and then again at Roma, but not really enough to form a proper opinion. Going off his first few months here, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. His movement is excellent, he times his runs really well, but is often let down by his first touch. The heartening thing is, he had a fantastic conversion rate in Serie A last year; think it was floating around 30%. He comes across as an instinctive kind of striker, in the Jelavic mode. Basically 99% of Jelavic's goals come from a single touch. From watching him at Rangers, he's not the most technically accomplished strikers, but he is always wired into the game and he isn't afraid to just swing away. There's no fluffy details to his game, it's just pure instinctive and clinical strike play. Borini is cut from the same cloth I reckon. Whenever he needs to think about it, he over thinks things, when it arrives at him quickly he does much better. Whether he'll turn out to be a first choice player remains to be seen, but there's no doubt he makes for a very useful option in the squad.

Totally agree with your comments on Coates too. I like Skrtel, but I think Coates can defend just as well, but use the ball better. Maybe I'm being harsh on big Martin, but I just get the feeling Coates is bursting to come through. It would be unfair of us to stunt such a promising player in his development. I think the three at the back thing is interesting, and it's something that could open up possibilities for Downing too. Left wing back puts lets pressure on him to create things, which he's struggled at thus far. Coates and Agger to either side of Skrtel coming out with the ball, yes please.

The Reina question eh? He's clearly still a good goalkeeper, just not great anymore. Why is that? First thing to say is he's not been all that great for a good while now. He was poor under Hodgson and Dalglish before Rodgers ever stepped foot into Melwood; so it's not as if this is a problem that has just reared its ugly heed. The Xavi Valero thing is probably true in some way, but when you're a World class goalkeeper, you don't just crumble because your goalkeeping coach leaves. Graham Hunter made an interesting comment on a recent episode of Revista. If memory serves, the question was actually about Valdes, because like Reina his form has been underpar. Hunter's theory was based around the Euros. Because Valdes and Reina were both sat on their arse all summer watching Iker Casillas captain Spain to yet another major title, they weren't active enough. So he thinks this early season games is effectively their pre season. The goalkeepers that starred at the Euros like Hart, Neuer, Buffon, and Casillas have all started the season well, is that just because they are great goalkeepers, or does Hunter's theory have some credence to it? I think he's too good to give up on myself. Plus, he has stuck with us through some bad times, it's time for us to return the favour don't you think?

Thinking back to Sunday (again), and the switch to three at the back... Not only was it interesting in terms of the defence, it was both interesting and very exciting to see how well Sterling and Suarez linked together from a central position. I remember saying a while back that I thought Sterling would end up playing as a false 9, when his finishing gets a bit better. So do you think Suarez and Sterling playing up front together is a genuine option, or was it just used due to circumstance?

Cpt_Reina

I'm unconvinced by Borini myself, but I cant help but feel that when he was getting a game he was playing in the wrong position anyway. I think he's the sort of striker that can explore the channels and 'work' in those wide areas of the pitch. But I dont know if he can really play there.

It's a different scenario pulling off in to wide positions rather than starting from them. Having watched him I think he's much more suited to the former.

I definitely think he's a no9. A lot of his goals in Italy looked like 'ugly' finishes. What I mean by that is that there wasn't all that much style or finesse to them, but they were functional. He put the ball between the sticks, made sure the keeper couldnt get to it and that's all that mattered. It encouraged me too see it. Kuyt was the same. It's probably just a superficial thing with me, Torres scored lots of goals, and looked stylish doing so. So there's room for it. But I like those 'ugly' goals. Because my God dont we just struggle scoring them?

I hoped, and still do, that Borini could be our guy who comes in and scores in the 6 yard box. Or gets the rebounds. I think he can grow in to that role, given his movement (as you cited) and the fact that he does seem able to provide that strike rate (again mentioned by yourself) and the way in which those previous goals have come, the types of goals they were. But I dont think he's there yet...

I dont know if he'll ever get there either truth be told. Certainly to the extent to which he nails that position down above anyone else in a team pushing for top 4 and then hopefully beyond. So like so many aspects of our squad and indeed members of our squad these are questions that will take months, even seasons to answer. It's a long haul.

A back 3 with Downing and Henderson as the wingbacks? I want to see it, just cos.

The Valero thing really irks me. I've no doubt that Reina will work better with some and not so well with others, but its no excuse for him. I simply dont think that if that is the reason, then it should be allowed to affect him to this extent. Surely Reina must take ownership over his own ability? He cant just be an average, average to poor, goalkeeper without a specific coach can he? He's better than that. Or at least I thought he was.

Honestly? I'd give him until the end of the season. If there's a buyer that is. He still has some stock, he's still young enough to entice a decent price. This could be another Torres type sale if we got it right. If we sell him on his way down but before the free fall then the timing could be perfect (hopefully we'd reinvest the windfall better). I dont like saying it because I love Pepe. He's such a good lad and he really just gets us. But we're a football club first and foremost. And if a player, any player, continues to underperform you have to look at their position. Personal bias, former glories, looking good on paper. They need to be disregarded.

He's got half a season to pick his form up for me. Selling him even then would be a big decision. But we cant shy away from those. Selling or releasing Carra would have been a big decision, but it should have been made before his ability nosedived. Avoiding it and skirting around it did us no favours. I'd hate to see Reina become a millstone around our neck.

I reckon Rodgers is increasingly intrigued by Sterling through the middle. Rightly so because he's got so many attributes that lends itself to being a success there. He can really stretch teams with his acceleration and his movement is incredibly mature.

Personally I dont think it's an avenue that should be pursued just yet. I'd like to see him nail down that position on the left first, because at 17 he's certainly not got to gips with that just yet. It wouldnt do him many favours to get caught between two positions, not fully being able to embrace either.

And to be a 17/18 year old striker for Liverpool takes a hell of a lot. It's one thing being on the left at that age, but playing up top brings a whole other set of pressure. You're required to deliver, you're measured against a number. I dont think Sterling is good enough a finisher to live up to that pressure.

Owen and Folwer were freaks of nature. Sterling may be comparable in terms of talent, but they were born goalscorers. They lived for goals and they just knew how to score them. Sterling can score, he has a finish in him. Be he's no Owen or Fowler in terms of plundering them.

I think the scope is there, and its an option to explore within games if we need to. But as is I dont think we should be earmarking Sterling for that role with any sort of regularity. I dont think it'd do him any favours, or us. As I dont believe he'd be able to deliver to be honest.

Thankfully I reckon the 3 at the back and Sterling through the middle will go hand in hand as options rather than solutions.

One thing I would like to gauge is your opinion on Rodgers himself. Rodgers the man as well as the manager. How are you taking to him? I think I'm swimming upstream with a few of my views. Be interesting to hear your opinion before airing my own.

Mr Dilkington

I like him. A lot. I've never hidden that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not willing to blindly support him, but I like what I see thus far. I liked his work at Swansea, and knowing someone who's worked for him, I only hear great things. I do have some concerns about his tactical adaptability, but I think he's smart enough to know when to change things up. It's also important to remember he's still learning. We bought into that when he arrived. We all know he's going to make mistakes, because he has said so himself, but for me the long term reward will far outweigh the short term blips. You have to consider how brave he has been too. To give Sterling, Suso, and Wisdom regular games, as well as Robinson, Yesil, and Morgan here and there shows that age is just a number to him. There's loads of other managers who would be quite happy to see players like Downing flatter to deceive week in week out, but still play him because they don't want to play a young player. It's one of the things I felt Kenny could have done better last season, but again I can completely understand why he didn't want to. And he did give games to Flanagan and Robinson.

The Being: Liverpool thing did him no favours at all, but the decision to film that documentary came before his appointment, and he was kind of thrown In there. Anyone who watched it will have immediately knew what kind of tone they were going for. I think Rodgers was simply giving them what they wanted. He is very full on with his soundbites about the clubs history, the 'way of life' etc, but y'know what? I think he's genuine. Maybe I'm being naive, but I genuinely think he means what he says, and I think he can put us back on our fucking perch.

It breeds a great message to the players that if you're playing well, you'll play. It encourages hard work in training, and it stamps out complacency. I suppose it also depends on what we as fans expect from this season. Me personally... I just want a little bit of bloody solidity. I want some regularity. I want to see some nice football. I think Rodgers will give us all of these things. So having said all that, I think... Given your 'swimming against the tide' comment, you might take up the opposite end of the spectrum to me...?

Cpt_Reina

I'm not the opposite. There's a lot about him that I'm more than willing to endorse.

It's more a personal thing with me rather than anything to do with his management of the club. I'm actually quite impressed with that side of Rodgers.

I'm in complete agreement about his big calls being brave. Our squad is wafer thin but to be starting league games with 3 teenagers, 3 immensely talented teenagers, but teens nonetheless. That's very brave. It would have been so easy to even 'just' play Sterling and then pad out the right hand side with Assaidi or Downing. But once Borini was injured in came Suso. Right off the bat.

I like his chutzpah in coming in and demanding his terms be met when signing his contract. I love that he cut off Ayre in his press conference. It shows leadership and not only a vision within himself but a willingness and dive towards achieving what he wants. All great managers are control freaks.

I like the football too. Ive been pleasantly surprised by his willingness to adapt his 'vision'. Going 3 at the back etc. I was terrified that he'd be rigid with it. For all the praise Swansea got last season I thought they looked blunt quite a lot of the time. Dominating the ball doesnt necessarily mean dominating the match. Barcelona is clearly a reference point for Rodgers. But their 'system' has had so many different incarnations within regimes never mind between them. You need to have that adaptability. I think it's something Rodgers, as a young coach, will need to learn as he goes on. Being the age he is it's fair to allow him to be idealistic. Like a fresher at Uni. He thinks he has all the answers to the big issues at times, but there's a lot of nuances to football that he'll pick up along the way. A familiar thread running through these correspondances about the club right now isnt it?

I suppose now I'd better address that 'upstream' comment.

I'll be brutally honest, and given that ive just offered up that support of many aspects of his management I feel I can be.

I dont really like Rodgers.

I dont like the soudbites, the references to Shanks, the comments about it being a 'way of life', or fighting every day for club and the city. It turns me off. It just comes across as if Jen Chang or someone in a similar role who is more competent has collared him and given him a list of subjects and token phrases and said "They'll lap this up". It comes across to me as incredibly orchestrated.

Now I know im being cynical and there's no sheet of paper, there certainly no competency in the Liverpool PR dept, and that its genuinely just coming from Rodgers. But that's how it seems to me. He's hitting his marks. Like a politician who knows he's going to a working class city to canvass and so he hammers it home about creating jobs or mentioning how he's got a similar background. Then the next day he's in a more affluent area and he starts talking about taxes.

Rodgers spiel, for lack of a better word. Is just too good.

I dont remember it being so forced with Rafa. The respect and admiration seemed to grow organically over time. Kenny already had that connection and Roy was, Roy. So Rafa seems the last relevant example. We learned more about him and he got a greater understanding about us as time went on, same with Ged. Rodgers though has come in all guns blazing.

He's trying to manufacture that connection imho. I'd just like to be wooed a little more. It's not so much been a courtship as it has a systematic seduction.

It's trivial though, and I recognise that. What counts is whats on the pitch, and Rodgers is doing as well as might be expected there.

That's got me wondering whether its important to like your manager?

I'd like to think im even handed enough to judge Rodgers on what he does rather than what he says. And I certainly dont dislike him. But its a strange paradigm in football to think you need to have that connection with your clubs manager.

Its certainly something that exists at Liverpool. The Rafatollah, the supernatural connection that Kenny has with the club, Shankly. We love to love the man in charge.

Is it necessary though? Can you appreciate the manager if not the man? I know there are Utd supporters who cant stand Ferguson. But it's not stopped them enjoying the fruits of his labour.

There have been certain players ive never really thought of as decent lads at the club. I dont think Gerrard is particularly likeable for example. But I've loved having him in the team.

That's allowed, right?

Mr Dilkington

I think it is. With Ferguson it's a bit different, because he's already had all the success; so the United fans have that to balance the Glazer thing up with. I would personally struggle to get on board with a manager that i didn't like. If others wouldn't then that's all credit to them. Even if the work is impressive, if I don't like the person, then I struggle to buy into it.

The great thing about Rodgers to me is he seems like the kind of guy who just loves talking about football. It's not just a job for him, it's a way of life (sorry!). I know it was Jen Chang's idea the whole monthly meetings with the fan blogs and suchlike, but Rodgers seemed to really enjoy it. I'm sure I can remember Andy Heaton saying they were told they would get 20 minutes, and he ended up staying for about an hour, and going into great detail too. It didn't come across as if he couldn't be arsed; he seemed genuinely keen to explain what went wrong against Arsenal.

One of the very interesting things I found about that was he admitted our midfield was too open. He said the three somehow became a one. That's really rare I think. A manager who is willing to sit there and admit he got it wrong, and then explain what he could've done better. I remember listening to a clip when Rafa was promoting his book. They said something that Rafa didn't agree with, and Rafa, very bluntly said 'it's an idea'. It was dismissive. Does that show the difference between the two? For all that people go on about how Rodgers is too embedded in his ideology, I think Rafa was even more so like that. Incredibly stubborn, and Rafa knew how good he was. I think in a Rafa team, if all the parts are functioning correctly, it's great. But if you take one cog away, all the other parts fail. We removed the wrong piece of jenga back in 2009 with Alonso, and the whole tower collapsed. I think Rodgers is better equipped to deal with something like that.

Looking ahead to January, what are you hoping for in terms of incomings? Perhaps a more prudent question is: what do you expect?

Cpt_Reina

I do hasten to add that I dont dislike Rodgers, but I'm certainly not ready to get in line with him in the way that I have previous managers. Yet. Im not ruling it out.

I think you're right about Rafa too. All top managers are dictators and have a vision. Rafa was a megalomaniac at times, you need to have that confidence in your opinion to be in the job. Im glad Rodgers has it. But you also need to compromise when needed, I think he has that too.

Like you say, the man genuinely loves football. It emanates out of him. Many of the trivial misgivings Ive had with him can be explained by him being so enthused by being manager of our club that he's come on a bit strong.

I can live with that.

The consensus seems to be that we need a striker, but that throws up as many questions as it does answers for me. Football is a squad game but if we go out and buy a no9 what does that mean for Suarez? Does Rodgers not seen him as his main man through the middle after all? It would also all but confirm that he doesnt see Borini as that man.

We need depth, but I'd like to know exactly what Rodgers is moving towards before defining what it is we need to get there.

If Rodgers see's Suarez playing as no9 long term then I dont know if we do need a striker, in the traditional sense. In that case I think we'd need a wide forward. Suarez will be a fixture in the team, so buying competition for him perhaps wouldnt be a priority.

Suso and Sterling offer a lot, but goals isnt really one of those things. If Suarez is to play through the middle then we need more goals from out wide. We also need to be able to take those players out of the team when things aren't going so well for them.

If it were me, I'd use Suarez and Gerrard as players to bring both goals and depth from wide and go out and buy a striker. But I dont think Rodgers sees it the same way.

It's probably easier to look at where we dont need to strengthen. I think we're ok at CB. Coates is an able back up, as we've covered. And we have Kelly/Sama/Wisdom if we really have a crisis.

RB is fine. GK too. Ditto CM, with the possible exception of no like for like cover for Lucas. But it's not pressing.

Unfortunately I think that's just about it.

LB is still up in the air with Enrique, Robinson seems to be very gradually being introduced so we cant count on him yet. Johnson's ability to step in to the role though probably knocks the position down of few pegs in terms of when it needs to be addressed.

We badly need some attacking talent in the front line, throughout the 3 positions.

What I think is possibly the most interesting position is that most advanced midfielder. The Sigurdsson role if we're using Rodgers-isms. I dont think we have anyone on our books who brings an awful lot of subtlety to the role.

We've been linked to Erikssen from Ajax this week, he's the sort of player that I mean. Someone who floats about in that area rather than patrolling it.

Shelvey, Gerrard, Sahin. I dont think they're that player. Or Suarez if he was to ever play there.

Adorjan is probably the player most fitting on our books. I like the cut of his jib but I dont know if he has the class required to play for us if we're to get to the level that Rodgers has been tasked with pushing for. People seem to think Suso will end up there but he's never impressed in that position for me. He's always looked more comfortable deeper or out on the right.

I'd like to see such a player in our squad though. Someone who will pick the locks. Oscar at Chelsea has me looking longingly in their direction. I dont know who that player is, who's available etc. :But it's a skill set I believe we're lacking.

Mr Dilkington

I think you're right about the January transfer window. We could really do with a proper, experienced number 9, and If the owners are feeling kind, maybe a winger or a playmaker too. There's a lot of interesting names swirling round at the moment. I think this year, more than any other also boasts a number of quality players going out of contract. Huntelaar, Holtby, Walcott, Sturridge are all talented players who would improve our squad you'd think. I'm a bit reluctant to name names though, because we just don't know who Rodgers has asked Ian Ayre for (urgh). It might well be someone like Assaidi who no one is really familiar with. Who knows, maybe there's another Michu type out there?

Your point re Adorjan is a good one too. I like the player, and I think he at least deserves a shot, but wouldn't it be nice if the owners actually gave Rodgers some money for someone a little more experienced, rather than just trying out yet another kid? The worry I have is the owners might look at it, in all their knowledge, and go 'wait a minute, when he played Sterling, he swam, when he played Suso, he swam, and when he played Wisdom he swam...' Not all kids will though, and I hope they don't fall into the trap of thinking any young player can walk into our first 11 and immediately look at home. You must wonder, given how the season has gone for him so far, whether Sigurdsson is starting to regret turning his back on Rodgers? Dempsey, Bale, and Lennon all seem to be in great form. I just hope they support Rodgers whatever. I understand that they might still be reeling over Comolli and Dalglish throwing money away like paper, but it's not fair to take it out on Rodgers. If he is their man, then it's time to prove it.

You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

royhendo

Re: Cpt_Reina and I had a blether
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2012, 08:47:41 pm »
Fantastic. More please!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »
Great :)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline AnyGivenSunday

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »
Cheers for that

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »
Mr Dilkington & Cpt_Reina  :wellin

That was one of the finest articles I have read on this forum. Was nodding away at everything that was said. Brilliant. Should do a follow-up in February.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »
I agree. Year zero as the learning year is spot on. A young manager in charge of a young team. Mistakes are bound to happen. More important is what we learn from the mistakes
« Last Edit: November 5, 2012, 10:28:01 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2012, 10:42:18 pm »
Excellent exchange of opinion.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2012, 01:01:46 am »
Great read lads. More and more I find myself siding with Cpt Reina about Rodgers. The point about feeling like I've been banged without anyone having bought me dinner first rings especially true. The Being Liverpool thing really didn't help things but I take the counter point that Rodgers was just giving the show what they wanted. Still leaves me a little disconcerted that he seems to know and play the media game so well. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much because you can certainly do both. I think mainly I'm sure we've all encountered people in life that have bullshitted themselves into positions they should never hold. It can get you a long, long way in life. Even the counter point which contains references to the long tactical interview, although it was interesting at the end of the day it's just more fan appeasement within the media circle that is very well planned. The stuff he spoke about was about as tactically detailed to someone managing Liverpool as adding is to an actuary. Maybe I'm just more comfortable in knowing that when a guy without that skill set rises to a position it generally means he must be pretty dam good at his job.

I'd also question some of the things people refer to as brave decisions? What does that mean? If the decision was wrong but at the time was deemed to be brave should it still be applauded? For instance is it right that Sterling is starting so many games? We may be being forced due to the squad but we do have other options. Should we not be putting the welfare of the kids long term future in the game over this one season? That's a very specific example and it's more just a general point than trying to hone in on Sterling specifically.

That all may come across harsh because I'm focusing on negatives of which by the way I have plenty more which maybe aren't so superficial as the ones above but I'm tired. On the other hand though I do also have a tonne of stuff on the positive pile. The thing about buying into Rodgers vision which will take time is fine with me as long as people are actively questioning along the way if we're moving in the right direction without blindly following. I think it's all the more important because he has been elevated towards a position which maybe should have been beyond him for another few years and because his skill set means I think it would be fairly easy for him to have us all buying in at the bottom of the pyramid scheme without giving the game away on mass for a number of years.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2012, 01:20:53 am by Saul Goodman »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2012, 01:36:26 am »
If we play Suarez as a true number 9, we would also need someone else who would also be just as threatening to drop deep. Two central defenders could negate Suarez. One central defender on Suarez as we have seen would be just too much... and one central defender on Suarez + the other defender on a.n.other = a nightmare for any defence

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2012, 01:49:41 am »
Yep, excellent and thought provoking also.
Can we make this a regular thing ? Perhaps two or three a season ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2012, 02:10:11 am »
Would be great if more exchanges were like this on the forum. 

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #11 on: November 6, 2012, 04:45:59 am »
By the by, what the fuck is a 'blether' ? :)
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #12 on: November 6, 2012, 04:49:43 am »
Haha. It's a slang word we like to use up these parts, which basically equates to inane ramblings.

Glad people enjoyed it. It's always good when you have someone to bounce things off. The Cpt is a treat to discuss things with.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #13 on: November 6, 2012, 05:00:57 am »
Haha. It's a slang word we like to use up these parts, which basically equates to inane ramblings.

Glad people enjoyed it. It's always good when you have someone to bounce things off. The Cpt is a treat to discuss things with.

Haha, fair do's cheers.
It is a very interesting read, would love to have someone who i could have these discussions with.
Its like a podcast without the audio.
A Blogcast.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #14 on: November 6, 2012, 07:07:59 am »
Brilliant that.

That is 100% true mate. I had that experience with him
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2012, 08:10:41 am »
Great read, good work lads  :D

The type of thing I enjoy reading on the front page of the forum rather than all the other nonsense - here's to another round!

royhendo

« Reply #16 on: November 6, 2012, 08:31:34 am »
By the by, what the fuck is a 'blether' ? :)

It's what Shanks used to do with Jock Stein over a few pots of tea and a Sporting Post.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2012, 09:09:34 am »
Great read bloody hell did this blether take place over 10 pints as you def covered a few points. A couple I would love to touch on if you don’t mind is the without Lucas clause. Its such a pity we seem to be ON Hold right now as to see the true impact of the team then Lucas coming in allowing Allen further up may change us completely. A wee patience I guess is required as last season we had the same occur but did not see the reprieve that may have been warranted when Lucas AND SG only started a dozen or so league games for Kenny. He got feck all hold even though he was missing two key ingredients to his CM.

Looks like you both agree on the base of Allen and Lucas in CM but cant pin down who plays the attacking CM role. Bit of a concern that as Sahin has showed glimpses but fairly non plussed about him so far while Shelvey appears to be the most ready for that slot right now but still very raw. The head says Sahin perhaps but if this is year zero where Brendan has a chance to experiment then I go with Shelvey as he is the most likely of the two to be here for the long term. Makes Sahin addition seem questionable but Im all for a strong CM / back up so use him as back up and build for the fture through Shelvey.

The attack is the most interesting part of the blether as Brendan knows Borini quite well and put his hat on him quite early to be a part of the future. Surprising then than the coach / manager who has worked with him the most over his recent career has possibly played him out of position. That is a def worry you think and even more so when Brendan’s first choice striker purchase may be relegated to the bench if another is bought in the Jan window. All will be good if SG starts on the right again sorting out that problem area but in many ways its a step backwards resorting to our most versatile problem solver getting thrown around the side for short term fixes. Its Year Zero so plan on a long term fix or at least going ahead with the original plan which seemed to be Borini out right. I honestly think Suso should get the nod / consideration for the role too as he seems the most accomplished of the newbies for spotting a pass falling right into Brendans thinking of the game.

Anyway great blether and keep on drinking.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2012, 09:18:38 am »
Great read, and quite a few interesting points. Cheers for that!

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2012, 12:03:04 pm »
I'd also question some of the things people refer to as brave decisions? What does that mean? If the decision was wrong but at the time was deemed to be brave should it still be applauded? For instance is it right that Sterling is starting so many games? We may be being forced due to the squad but we do have other options. Should we not be putting the welfare of the kids long term future in the game over this one season? That's a very specific example and it's more just a general point than trying to hone in on Sterling specifically.

It's an interesting point.

I mused on something similar in the round table yesterday. Rodgers has shown real faith in Shelvey and to be playing him in games such as against City, where he was vindicated by a top performance from Jonjo, was certainly a brave decision.

But having now seen Shelvey's form fluctuate to quite a large extent, is it now not so much brave as reckless to be pursuing with him to the extent to which he is?

Certainly when he's being picked over someone like Henderson, who might not provide the peaks of Shelvey when he's really on form but certainly doesn't provide the troughs that Shelvey seems to experience either.

There's a tipping point you feel. Who knows when it'll come. I dont know if it's too far off in that particular case though.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2012, 07:29:54 pm »
Thats one belter of a post lads. I started reading it this morning on the train, and continued it this evenin on the way home. It was a pleasure to read and certainly has my mind engaged and thinking.

Ive always hoped to see Suarez play the the wing as he misses many of the easier chances that a #9 should bury, never have i pondered that he is actually scoring most of his goals from positions a #9 would expect to be in. So ta for highlighting this in the post.

He also doesnt attack the box like a person in that position should. For instance if he has the ball in the centre and lays it off to the wing, he wont attack the near post, he will withdraw. This leaves the 6yard box empty and our attack impotent rather frequently. Suarez plays for the cutbacks, which is a great option, but a creates a lower percentage chance of opportunity to score. This point alone ahould be enough to show that we need a finisher in that position, with Luis continuing to wreck havoc on the edge of the box.  I do find it odd tho that Rodgers is not encouraging runs into the box when Luis has the ball..

What an attack it would be though, gerrard, sterling, suarez. With suso, assaidi, walcott (for instance) and dare i say pacheco deputising.

This brings forward another concern with Saul touched on. We are told by the owners that we need to plan for the medium to long term, i understand the reasoning and agree with it. The shortterm however shouldnt be compromised to the extent it appears to be. My point is that, as a club, medium to long term gain is the goal, but they are walking on thin ice by overplaying the young recruits who should be our medium term future. I'll extend that concern to Lucas too as i thought he was rushed back too soon (im no medic tho, but i was highly concerned at the time). I hope this time he isn't and we do get some cover for him.

The kids have to be rested, we have plenty available to cover the numbers until xmas, when hopefully we buy some experience. However they rarely get a lookin. Jordan & Dani spring to mind.

All in all though, I am supportive of Brendan (not so much of the soundbites) and the owners. This upcoming transfer window should hopefully solve some of the concerns. Hopefully. ;)

Offline locultom

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2012, 10:12:55 pm »
Really enjoyed reading that. The format gives a chance for the ideas to breathe. Excellent.
No-one wants to stay in the Travelodge by choice. It's always a last resort. No-ones thinking, Id love to stay in a room so blandly anonymous that it looks like the burial chamber of the king of an ancient civilisation which valued above all bland anonymity.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2012, 11:53:55 pm »
Gotta be honest here: I was really disappointed when I saw the end of that post. I wanted that thing to go on much longer. Kudos to both of you lads for a very thoughtful and thought-provoking discussion.

Personally, I connected with Cpt.'s point about not having any expectations for this season and it's happened to make things quite enjoyable for me. I'm not overly concerned with the fact that we didn't get Dempsey and we're short up top for the first few months because I think this year is more about Rodgers settling in, getting his ideas across, and shaping the squad as he sees fit. If that means we get a striker in January instead of last August I can live with it, so long as we get the right man. I think there are a barrel of positives to be taken from the past four and half months since Rodgers was appointed. The biggest for me is the fact that we've tied down the spine of our squad to long-term deals. Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey, Suarez, Borini, Suso, and Sterling are all under contract for the next few years at least. That means as we go forward and acquire new talent it will be adding to our squad rather than replacing it. It's one of the things that's held us back so much the past few years. Johnson replaced Arbeloa. Suarez replaced Torres. Aquilani "replaced" Alonso. It was all one step forward, one step backwards and we really struggled to make any progress on the pitch. Now we've had what most would agree as the core of our squad all commit their futures to the club when many didn't have to. The product on the pitch should, in theory, only get better as we continue to add to the squad rather than rebuilding it.

It's highly encouraging to me and, from where I stand, far more important than any win, loss, or missed transfer over the past three months. Personally, I think the positives this season (Allen's performance, the kids, Suarez's goal return, contract extensions) outweigh the negatives (our point total, missing Dempsey, and injuries). That doesn't even consider the biggest development of the past few months (the HIP) which IMO is the biggest thing to happen to this club in the past 23 years. On the pitch, I truly believe that once Rodgers has a few windows to build his squad, the players have a season or two to adapt to his system, and the kids progress as they mature we'll really be a force to reckon with. I'm a silly optimist, though.
Justice For The 96

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #23 on: November 7, 2012, 12:25:24 am »
It's an interesting point.

I mused on something similar in the round table yesterday. Rodgers has shown real faith in Shelvey and to be playing him in games such as against City, where he was vindicated by a top performance from Jonjo, was certainly a brave decision.

But having now seen Shelvey's form fluctuate to quite a large extent, is it now not so much brave as reckless to be pursuing with him to the extent to which he is?

Certainly when he's being picked over someone like Henderson, who might not provide the peaks of Shelvey when he's really on form but certainly doesn't provide the troughs that Shelvey seems to experience either.

There's a tipping point you feel. Who knows when it'll come. I dont know if it's too far off in that particular case though.

In what sense? Related to the other poster's point about overegging the pudding regarding the youth players - what are people afraid of will happen? What is the primary concern?

Shelvey's peaks and troughs are more down to inconsistency rather than youth. It's a psychological issue and a maturity issue more than anything else. It's also related to peak performance - when people talk about players "reaching their peak", they usually don't actually understand what that means - peak performance is not "Best" performance, but rather a state of high level consistency. Some players peak early - they reach a consistent high level of performance that inevitably returns to peaks and troughs for any number of reasons. Some peak late - it takes them time to understand how to manage their workloads, how to read the game, how to treat their bodies; and when they do, they reach a consistent level of high performance that constitutes their "peak". Shelvey's peak is still to come. It might be short (like Owen's was - 98 to 2002) or long (like Kenny's was - 75ish to 84). Only time will tell. But the peaks and troughs are natural, as long as the overall trend of a player is upward.

Players like Raheem and Suso, additionally, are getting the best education they can be getting right now, and it will enable them to peak longer because they are learning so much at such a young age and under high pressure conditions. Physically they will never be in a better position to play the games they are playing - they recover quicker, they stay fresher for longer, and they are quick and agile enough to avoid serious injury from commonplace tackles. BR is almost lucky to be in the position he is in because if the owners show faith in him and give him the time, he could reap some major benefits from this crop of young players in 2-3 year's time. Serious benefits.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #24 on: November 7, 2012, 12:40:21 am »
Gotta be honest here: I was really disappointed when I saw the end of that post. I wanted that thing to go on much longer. Kudos to both of you lads for a very thoughtful and thought-provoking discussion.

Personally, I connected with Cpt.'s point about not having any expectations for this season and it's happened to make things quite enjoyable for me. I'm not overly concerned with the fact that we didn't get Dempsey and we're short up top for the first few months because I think this year is more about Rodgers settling in, getting his ideas across, and shaping the squad as he sees fit. If that means we get a striker in January instead of last August I can live with it, so long as we get the right man. I think there are a barrel of positives to be taken from the past four and half months since Rodgers was appointed. The biggest for me is the fact that we've tied down the spine of our squad to long-term deals. Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey, Suarez, Borini, Suso, and Sterling are all under contract for the next few years at least. That means as we go forward and acquire new talent it will be adding to our squad rather than replacing it. It's one of the things that's held us back so much the past few years. Johnson replaced Arbeloa. Suarez replaced Torres. Aquilani "replaced" Alonso. It was all one step forward, one step backwards and we really struggled to make any progress on the pitch. Now we've had what most would agree as the core of our squad all commit their futures to the club when many didn't have to. The product on the pitch should, in theory, only get better as we continue to add to the squad rather than rebuilding it.

It's highly encouraging to me and, from where I stand, far more important than any win, loss, or missed transfer over the past three months. Personally, I think the positives this season (Allen's performance, the kids, Suarez's goal return, contract extensions) outweigh the negatives (our point total, missing Dempsey, and injuries). That doesn't even consider the biggest development of the past few months (the HIP) which IMO is the biggest thing to happen to this club in the past 23 years. On the pitch, I truly believe that once Rodgers has a few windows to build his squad, the players have a season or two to adapt to his system, and the kids progress as they mature we'll really be a force to reckon with. I'm a silly optimist, though.
Agree with that Vork.

I've enjoyed this season so far mysel'. It's been a bit all over the place, but you can see where we're trying to get.

The contract thing is important, and something I forgot to touch on.

I reckon Rodgers is happy with the base of the squad, just needs fine tuning. When he can do that...

We judge.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 7, 2012, 06:20:26 am »
Great dialogue, BTW. Excellent thoughts.

I think the longer we remain winless, the more polarised the supporters are with BR. In that respect, I do share the sense that BR is a lot of talk and no results but I don't think it's something he deliberately does. It's just him. Some people are good communicators to the extent they will tell you about their dog's bowel movements. However, I do agree with his methods and am willing to give him a go for at least one season. That doesn't mean we propel ourselves to top four because that's a bit unrealistic considering we have a bunch of kids as starting XI.

I do hope BR is brave enough to play Gerrard on the right and not his favoured central position. I do agree that once Lucas comes back, I'd like to see more of Shelvey and Henderson sharing the responsibilities in the centre.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #26 on: November 7, 2012, 06:36:08 am »
Agree with that Vork.

I've enjoyed this season so far mysel'. It's been a bit all over the place, but you can see where we're trying to get.

The contract thing is important, and something I forgot to touch on.

I reckon Rodgers is happy with the base of the squad, just needs fine tuning. When he can do that...

We judge.

Agreed and I'm more than happy to give Rodgers and (hold your breath) FSG time to get that right. I think a few too many people are missing the forest for the trees when it comes to things like the transfer deadline, our position in the league table, and our exit out of the League Cup. It's not supposed to happen overnight. It didn't with Shanks, Ferguson, Rafa, or Sacchi. In fact, it's the latter whom I often think of in regards to Rodgers. Both young managers with no formal playing experience, coming from "smaller" clubs as unproven ideologues to join world giants reeling from dark periods in their respective histories (and what do you know, both got off to slow starts). We can only hope Rodgers' reign reaches the heights of the Italian's. I remember reading an obscure article online last summer about Sacchi's time at Milan and the author (don't remember his name) described the Italian's ideology at the beginning of his stint at the San Siro with a line that reminded me of Rodgers. I don't remember it verbatim, but the gist of it was this:

Domination comes slowly, but the joy of playing needs to be instilled from the start.

I think, in his own way, that's exactly what Rodgers has set out to do with this side. We're not going to dominate immediately; hell, we might not dominate for a few years or (gasp) at all, but before that comes (if it does) his squad has to be engrained with his style and love of football. Rodgers, in fact, talks about loving the game quite a bit. The obvious soundbites from Being: Liverpool of course come to mind, but so do a couple different things he's said about Suarez. He always seems to mention how much Luis loves football and I think that's because it's something Brendan identifies with himself and looks for in his players. It's probably one of the things he recognizes and admires in Carra to be honest, because for all the criticisms those on here can make of Jamie, I don't think anyone doubts the man's love of football. I think it's also reflected in his willingness to play the youngsters with something close to abandon.

Whether or not Rodgers turns out to be the next Shankly, Rafa, or Sacchi, it's up to the supporters and owners to give his ideas and system a chance to germinate. Oddly enough, I'm actually not too worried about FSG doing that, but I do have a twinge of trepidation over whether the supporters as a whole will. I'm not even sure if it's possible in today's day and age, when a week between games sees 5,000 blogs dissecting every aspect of the performance pop up and plebs like me bleating on and on for as long as RAWK's bandwidth will allow. I certainly hope we can, though, because I think we could be rewarded with the fruits of that patience and faith.
Justice For The 96

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #27 on: November 7, 2012, 10:01:46 am »
Great read.

I specially connected with the part when Captain speaks about how Rodgers love looks a little manufactured. I'd even go on to say that the part where Rodgers rebuffs Ayre in his first press conference was staged. Rafa on the other hand, came in with just a passion to win trophies. If he had a better offer, he'd go. He was practical enough. But somehow he couldn't let the club go and still hasn't been able to. It just looks a little manufactured in the case of Rodgers. But I guess when the United fans were singing 'You're getting sacked in the morning' and our supporters sang out his name, would have meant something. I dare any manager ( Except Hodgson) to not fall in love with this club. This club has a massive connection with the manager, more so than any other club. He'd eventually see what is special.
Justice for the 96

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #28 on: November 7, 2012, 10:07:10 am »
Agreed and I'm more than happy to give Rodgers and (hold your breath) FSG time to get that right. I think a few too many people are missing the forest for the trees when it comes to things like the transfer deadline, our position in the league table, and our exit out of the League Cup. It's not supposed to happen overnight. It didn't with Shanks, Ferguson, Rafa, or Sacchi. In fact, it's the latter whom I often think of in regards to Rodgers. Both young managers with no formal playing experience, coming from "smaller" clubs as unproven ideologues to join world giants reeling from dark periods in their respective histories (and what do you know, both got off to slow starts). We can only hope Rodgers' reign reaches the heights of the Italian's. I remember reading an obscure article online last summer about Sacchi's time at Milan and the author (don't remember his name) described the Italian's ideology at the beginning of his stint at the San Siro with a line that reminded me of Rodgers. I don't remember it verbatim, but the gist of it was this:

I think, in his own way, that's exactly what Rodgers has set out to do with this side. We're not going to dominate immediately; hell, we might not dominate for a few years or (gasp) at all, but before that comes (if it does) his squad has to be engrained with his style and love of football. Rodgers, in fact, talks about loving the game quite a bit. The obvious soundbites from Being: Liverpool of course come to mind, but so do a couple different things he's said about Suarez. He always seems to mention how much Luis loves football and I think that's because it's something Brendan identifies with himself and looks for in his players. It's probably one of the things he recognizes and admires in Carra to be honest, because for all the criticisms those on here can make of Jamie, I don't think anyone doubts the man's love of football. I think it's also reflected in his willingness to play the youngsters with something close to abandon.

Whether or not Rodgers turns out to be the next Shankly, Rafa, or Sacchi, it's up to the supporters and owners to give his ideas and system a chance to germinate. Oddly enough, I'm actually not too worried about FSG doing that, but I do have a twinge of trepidation over whether the supporters as a whole will. I'm not even sure if it's possible in today's day and age, when a week between games sees 5,000 blogs dissecting every aspect of the performance pop up and plebs like me bleating on and on for as long as RAWK's bandwidth will allow. I certainly hope we can, though, because I think we could be rewarded with the fruits of that patience and faith.

The part that I'm at most peace with Rodgers is that he'll coach the players well. Irrespective of how he does here, I think he'll leave us with a fair few good players and would make the job of the next one coming in a lot easier.  And there would be a passing ideology. After he instills that and he may fail to get his side scoring goals, but he'd  put us a few steps ahead in terms of development of the youngsters and getting a technically gifted side.

It may not work out for him here, I certainly hope it does, but its a hard job. We have to think a few steps ahead and Rodgers imprint for the long term might just work in our favour. Even if people might not remember it very well if he 'fails'
Justice for the 96

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #29 on: November 7, 2012, 10:13:44 am »
One more thing I'll add.

I've been negative about Rodgers but I'm genuinely looking forward to where we'd be in 2 years, if he is backed properly.
Justice for the 96

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 7, 2012, 10:47:02 am »
Rafa is considered one of the best tacticians and a great match day coach/manager. He'll win you games as a one off or turn matches around. However, over the entire season, it may not be the best approach as we have experienced. A system, however, (when is fine tuned) will win you matches, overcome teams we should overcome. If we're chasing the league, a "system" is probably the best approach. As much as I love Rafa, he chopped and changed too much leading to inconsistent fluency required every week. I'm also not saying Rodgers will be our Shanks, our saviour. All I say is things are looking to move in the right direction even if we are not getting the results.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #31 on: November 7, 2012, 11:01:42 am »
Rafa is considered one of the best tacticians and a great match day coach/manager. He'll win you games as a one off or turn matches around. However, over the entire season, it may not be the best approach as we have experienced. A system, however, (when is fine tuned) will win you matches, overcome teams we should overcome. If we're chasing the league, a "system" is probably the best approach. As much as I love Rafa, he chopped and changed too much leading to inconsistent fluency required every week. I'm also not saying Rodgers will be our Shanks, our saviour. All I say is things are looking to move in the right direction even if we are not getting the results.

Rafa didn't have a "system"?

Every top flight manager has a "system".
Justice for the 96

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 7, 2012, 11:08:48 am »

I dont think you can have a single system. The perfect team would be one that can adapt to whichever system is needed to win a game. That may mean adopting several systems in a single game or persisting with one throughout.

Rodgers has spoken about the need to switch systems particularly in relation to his midfield three but he also demonstrated it against Everton. Dalglish and Rafa constantly tinkered. Mancini is desparately trying to get some flexibility into his City side.

One aspect of switching personnel which has become increasingly important has been to stop the opposition planning to defeat your system of play. They have less time to prepare because they have to prepare against multiple threats not just one.

The other idea is that if you think you've cracked it then you are missing the point - the game is constantly changing whilst all the time remaining the same - certain key things remain - the importance of movement, passing and  the individuals ability to pick the right options.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #33 on: November 7, 2012, 11:26:53 am »
Everyone has a base system though Vulmea. Rafa had his 4-2-3-1 and even though ' I feel' that he should have perhaps got Gerrard back in CM in his last season , he was very stubborn in changing it. The end result was perhaps a much more finished Lucas Leiva by the end of that season.

Rodgers system is mostly 4-3-3 , which for me requires top players to pull off week in , week out.

Kenny for me was the most flexible. Which led to us looking disjointed at times, but would have made us a better side in the long run. Atleast that's how I feel. Oh well.
Justice for the 96

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #34 on: November 7, 2012, 11:27:47 am »

How do you explain having the highest points total for the last 20 years? If he didn't have a "System"?

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 7, 2012, 12:13:06 pm »
Everyone has a base system though Vulmea. Rafa had his 4-2-3-1 and even though ' I feel' that he should have perhaps got Gerrard back in CM in his last season , he was very stubborn in changing it. The end result was perhaps a much more finished Lucas Leiva by the end of that season.

Rodgers system is mostly 4-3-3 , which for me requires top players to pull off week in , week out.

Kenny for me was the most flexible. Which led to us looking disjointed at times, but would have made us a better side in the long run. Atleast that's how I feel. Oh well.

Its a fair comment and Rafa did often fall back to his preferred 4231 but even there in discussion with the academy for instance he realised the limitations of that system but didn't feel he either had the personel to exploit a more cavalier approach or that english football particularly suited a more expansive approach.

There is also his famous line of formations merely being starting positions. Perhaps 4231 ws merely a place to start from?

The other issue which comes up is that we always discuss formation in straight lines - rafa was continally banging on about playing between those lines and Dalglish in particular used to use lopsided formations which look inperfect but were primarily aimed at exploiting space or particular strengths/weaknesses in the players on teh pitch.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

royhendo

« Reply #36 on: November 7, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »
I'm expecting Juan along any moment to say 'formations are neutral'.

Balance and style are as important, aren't they? Sean Rodgers was saying the other day that he feels the forward players don't compact space nearly enough the minute we lose the ball ("we're the worst Liverpool team in transition in my memory" or similar). Not sure I'd go that far, albeit that's one place where there's scope to screw a bolt in tighter I think. There and the sang froid of the personnel up front.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 7, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »
I'm expecting Juan along any moment to say 'formations are neutral'.

Balance and style are as important, aren't they? Sean Rodgers was saying the other day that he feels the forward players don't compact space nearly enough the minute we lose the ball ("we're the worst Liverpool team in transition in my memory" or similar). Not sure I'd go that far, albeit that's one place where there's scope to screw a bolt in tighter I think. There and the sang froid of the personnel up front.

It's definitely getting better over the last few weeks, but that's a very valid point - the front three, by default of their positioning (and part of that is having to work around Suarez' unpredicability) are rarely in a position to apply immediate pressure and cover around the ball, although there is room for improvement in their lateral compression to the ball. However, it has been noticeable over the last three games that once the 1st defender is pressing the man on the ball, as soon as he is moving, two covering defenders are moving with him. They are usually coming from midfield though, so perhaps that is the reason for the shift to 4-2-3-1 from BR, because it gives midfield zonal covering responsibilities to the wide players that they wouldn't otherwise have in a 4-3-3.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: November 7, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
It's definitely getting better over the last few weeks, but that's a very valid point - the front three, by default of their positioning (and part of that is having to work around Suarez' unpredicability) are rarely in a position to apply immediate pressure and cover around the ball, although there is room for improvement in their lateral compression to the ball. However, it has been noticeable over the last three games that once the 1st defender is pressing the man on the ball, as soon as he is moving, two covering defenders are moving with him. They are usually coming from midfield though, so perhaps that is the reason for the shift to 4-2-3-1 from BR, because it gives midfield zonal covering responsibilities to the wide players that they wouldn't otherwise have in a 4-3-3.

You have to wonder how much of it comes down to personnel.

Gerrard, Shelvey, Suso (to an extent) dont particularly look like they naturally take to 'pressing'.

It requires a surprising amount of agility. All three look a bit 'tight' out there. I know Yorky's commented on Shelvey looking very stiff for a young man. No pun intended.

Having watched the Ressie game on Monday it was apparent how much Pacheco looked like a player who knows how to press.

Whether it's anticipation, being able to turn, being able to cover the first few yards quickly or whatever. Certain players are just better at it than some.

I think there's a tendancy to assume pressing is a mental/tactical attribute rather than a physical one. But it has a foot firmly in each camp imho.

You cant just arrive at a club and say, right we press high up the pitch now. This is when you do it. This is how you do it. Now go out and do it.

There are certainly players that just dont lend themselves to that system. Be it because they can't recognise patterns quickly enough to get close enough to the ball/man early enough, or they lack the physical fortitude to be able to make it even if they know when to set off.

Henderson looks like he 'knows' how to press. Pacheco ditto. Trouble is they're not seen to be good enough at the other stuff. The football stuff. So they're left out.

At the moment it looks like a bit of a trade off between the two, until Rodgers can get in players who he believes posses both the required footballing ability and the ability to press.

I think Rodger's is making the right decsion in the mean time.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 7, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »
You have to wonder how much of it comes down to personnel.

Gerrard, Shelvey, Suso (to an extent) dont particularly look like they naturally take to 'pressing'.

It requires a surprising amount of agility. All three look a bit 'tight' out there. I know Yorky's commented on Shelvey looking very stiff for a young man. No pun intended.

Vital observation there. SAQ training for some Italian clubs is focused a lot on the defenders and the defensive side of the game because you are expected to move as the ball moves, which can and does involve quick switches of body shape and position. Barca, for all the Tiki Taka that is embedded in their entire system, do a lot of SAQ training at the young ages to ensure they are mobile enough to apply the pressing game. Turning, with and without the ball, is a large factor in successful players and teams.

Having watched the Ressie game on Monday it was apparent how much Pacheco looked like a player who knows how to press.

Whether it's anticipation, being able to turn, being able to cover the first few yards quickly or whatever. Certain players are just better at it than some.

I think there's a tendancy to assume pressing is a mental/tactical attribute rather than a physical one. But it has a foot firmly in each camp imho.

Very much so. If you can't press physically (and by extension, cover at the right angle and distance, with the right pace), then it doesn't matter how much you understand it intellectually or how much you are committed to it mentally, you just won't be effective. The pillars of the game for development go in the following order (assuming youth through to professional adult) - Technical -> Tactical -> Physical -> Mental. For winning teams at the advanced levels and ages, though, it is reversed: Mental, to physical, to tactical, to technical. If it breaks down at the physical level before it even reaches the tactical and technical level, then you will have problems.

You cant just arrive at a club and say, right we press high up the pitch now. This is when you do it. This is how you do it. Now go out and do it.

There are certainly players that just dont lend themselves to that system. Be it because they can't recognise patterns quickly enough to get close enough to the ball/man early enough, or they lack the physical fortitude to be able to make it even if they know when to set off.

Henderson looks like he 'knows' how to press. Pacheco ditto. Trouble is they're not seen to be good enough at the other stuff. The football stuff. So they're left out.

At the moment it looks like a bit of a trade off between the two, until Rodgers can get in players who he believes posses both the required footballing ability and the ability to press.

I think Rodger's is making the right decsion in the mean time.

Agreed