Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1405455 times)

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7520 on: March 5, 2019, 02:55:01 pm »
One more draw from ourselves is the absolute limit now. Two draws and then we're waiting for City to drop points in three more games. That's not happening.

Truth is a nine winning game run is what we need now. Another draw from us and we're asking City to drop points in two games from here on in. We're waiting for them to drop points in one more game, let alone in 2 games so it seems a bit much of an ask at the moment. I know December they had 2 losses in a row but they had no Aguero and Fernandinho in both games. We need that same sort of intervention if they were to go through a similar rut during that April schedule. Unfortunately Fernandinho will be back by then.

I think they will lose or draw one more game, but drop points in two games, i can't say i'm too optimistic of that happening. Unless they have some serious bad luck on the injury front during April.

Nine game winning run and we win the league. 8 wins and 1 draw - we have hope and still asking for a bit much.... but possible.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 02:57:05 pm by CallumLFC »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7521 on: March 5, 2019, 03:07:02 pm »
I think people are panicking because our run of results in the last 9 games hasn't been that good and the manner of our results has been very different to the first 20 games. We had a 7 point cushion that is now a 1 point deficit in a short space of time. For most people this feels like a bit of a missed opportunity given that there was a very real possibility of us being 10 points clear at one stage.

The reality is that a week is a very long time in football. We've seen crazier things happen in football and bigger leads slip. Man City have a potentially tricky final 9 games and they could well slip up which means we need to stay focussed and ready to capitalise. On the other hand, if they maintain their current form then they probably deserve to win the title anyway. After all, they've scored something ridiculous like 24 from 27 so far. To be honest, Man City could afford to lose their 3-4 best players in their squad and they'd still likely be challengers for the title, given how much they have spent and how much depth they have. Do that to any other top 6 teams and its a completely different story.

The story of our early games was of a team not playing well but not conceding. The story was of Salah not being the same player as last year and Bobby being off form...

Chelsea away 29th September:

"...The Reds wasted a host of opportunities before Daniel Sturridge curled a magnificent shot into the top corner from 25 yards to rescue a point in the 89th minute.

Klopp was pleased with the striker's contribution but felt his side should have taken more from the game..."

Leicester City away, 1st September:

"...Klopp's team looked on course for a comfortable win when, after Mohamed Salah had uncharacteristically missed an open goal, Sadio Mane pounced in the penalty area to poke Liverpool in front after only 10 minutes.

Liverpool's position looked even more secure when Roberto Firmino stole in on James Milner's corner to double their advantage with a header on the stroke of half-time - but they then proceeded to make life difficult for themselves..."

Huddersfield away 20th October:

"...Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he is "winning average games" for the first time in his life after Mohamed Salah sealed a narrow victory at Huddersfield that keeps them level on points with Premier League leaders Manchester City.

Salah's 50th goal in English football came courtesy of a smart low finish, as he put away Xherdan Shaqiri's 24th-minute through ball to dampen a mood matching Huddersfield's bright start.

Egypt forward Salah was visibly buoyed, having failed to score in his previous four appearances, but Huddersfield reacted positively as they twice went close to equalising before half-time..."
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7522 on: March 5, 2019, 03:11:32 pm »
Win the next two and we are top by the international break.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7523 on: March 5, 2019, 03:19:34 pm »

Impossible to think about not winning the next two. If we don't then we have no chance IMO

Offline AnnieRoad93

• Main Stander
« Reply #7524 on: March 5, 2019, 03:22:32 pm »
Can’t believe how many people’s arses have gone, not just on here but in other social media platforms. Regardless of what happens now we’ve had a great season and if we fall short it’s arguably to the best club side of the modern era. It’s not over by a long way and although I make city favourites we’ve seen how they too can drop silly points.

If City win all their remaining  games they deserve to win the league. For what it’s worth I think both teams will lose and draw games between now and the end of the season, and with their injury list and fixture pile up its still hard to call. I think it’s the fact our draws all seem to have come together which makes it look worse. Leicester deserved to win, West Ham was shite and Everton away is always tough for us.

After years of just hoping for top 4 we should be enjoying the ride, hopefully Anfield will be bouncing on Sunday
Underneath the floodlights down in Düsseldorf...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7525 on: March 5, 2019, 03:27:41 pm »
Well if they dont drop points fair dinkum to City.

If they win the next 9 it’ll mean they won 18 of their last 19 I think. But we’ll have bottled it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7526 on: March 5, 2019, 03:37:51 pm »
If they win the next 9 it’ll mean they won 18 of their last 19 I think. But we’ll have bottled it.

I know that the thought of getting 95 points and not winning the league will probably make people sick but in another way I hope that if we lose then its that way because I cannot see City keeping up that level of motivation for next season.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7527 on: March 5, 2019, 03:46:55 pm »
I know that the thought of getting 95 points and not winning the league will probably make people sick but in another way I hope that if we lose then its that way because I cannot see City keeping up that level of motivation for next season.

I've said 95 will be enough for a while now. I still feel like it will. It allows us one more draw and requires city to drop points twice. I think we can do it. Can someone else help us out by getting 4+ off them?
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #7528 on: March 5, 2019, 04:04:57 pm »
That's a good optimistic way to look at it.

If they win the next 9 it'll mean they won 18 of their last 19 I think. But we'll have bottled it.
IF they win their next 9 games, taking their form to 18 wins in 19 games then they deserve to win the league title regardless of what we do.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #7529 on: March 5, 2019, 04:16:15 pm »
Think we won eight and drew one of our last nine in 2009, do the same again we win the title this time.

We won 10 of our last 11 that season and still didn’t win it.
YWNA

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #7530 on: March 5, 2019, 04:17:16 pm »
I have them dropping 2 points against United and at least 2 points in that 2 game sequence with United and Spurs.

It's up to us to make sure we can capitalise. We haven't bottled anything but Klopp has to do everything he can within the current
squad to win 9/9 if possible.

If we suffer one or two draws and leave the likes of Keita and Shaqiri scratching around on the bench I will be disappointed.

We just have to leave everything out there on the field, the time to take a draw against anyone is over.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7531 on: March 5, 2019, 04:24:27 pm »
We just have to leave everything out there on the field, the time to take a draw against anyone is over.

Yes. It's all hands to the pumps, allison up for the corners if we're drawing time now. The chips are going in.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #7532 on: March 5, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »
I've seen many a league run in from watching us in the 80's - we just need to hope for a result from out the blue.
A bit like when Everton lost away to Oxford in 85-86 - then seize our chance.

But that's where I am not optimistic. We have just drawn too many lately.

I can see them doing this from their last 9 games W 7 D 1 L 1 = 93 points (Losing at Man U, drawing v Spurs or any other)

This means we have to win 8 out of the next 9.

Or - a run-in with twists and turns where City lose form.

I pray for either.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7533 on: March 5, 2019, 05:00:29 pm »
For me, they have to drop points in 3 matches. A loss and two draws, with 6 wins see's them finish with 91 points. If that were to happen, we could afford to win 7 games and draw 2, which would see us finish with 93 points.

The games [3 games] that they need to drop points in any of these:

- v Watford
- v Palace
- v Tottenham
- v United
- v Leicester

The other 34they should be winning relatively easily [Fulham,Brighton,Cardiff,Burnley].
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 05:02:28 pm by deFacto »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7534 on: March 5, 2019, 05:22:39 pm »
I think that's down to form. City is in far better form than we are. They've won 5 of the last 6 in the league and you can also throw in wins in domestic and European competition. We, on the other hand, have drawn 4 of the last 6 and have also drawn in European as well.

Are they really. City have won their last two games by just one nil, the game before they had to rely on a dodgy penalty, otherwise they'd have drawn. That hardly implies they are in flying form. In some matches they are making hard work of it. There isn't any way they're not going to drop more points in the next nine games.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7535 on: March 5, 2019, 05:36:20 pm »
Absolutely no chance they will drop points against Watford. They will batter them like we did

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7536 on: March 5, 2019, 05:48:56 pm »
Absolutely no chance they will drop points against Watford. They will batter them like we did

More than likely yes but they're more equipped than Fulham Cardif Brighton and Burnley in comparison.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #7537 on: March 5, 2019, 05:49:46 pm »
For me, they have to drop points in 3 matches. A loss and two draws, with 6 wins see's them finish with 91 points. If that were to happen, we could afford to win 7 games and draw 2, which would see us finish with 93 points.

The games [3 games] that they need to drop points in any of these:

- v Watford
- v Palace
- v Tottenham
- v United
- v Leicester

The other 34they should be winning relatively easily [Fulham,Brighton,Cardiff,Burnley].

I think they'll lose at Man U
Spurs' form has dropped off - but that could be a draw

The Palace game could be one - I will be watching that like it's a Cup Final
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7538 on: March 5, 2019, 05:53:42 pm »

Watford hasn't won away at one of the "big 6" last season, nor this (only played 3 so far though)

In the 9 played over the last 2 season's, only 2 have been 1 goal losses.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7539 on: March 5, 2019, 06:11:19 pm »
More than likely yes but they're more equipped than Fulham Cardif Brighton and Burnley in comparison.

Burnley away is a far tougher test than Watford home. Not sure how you worked that out as a tougher fixture.

City drew 1-1 at Burnley last season and even though they're not as good as last season, they've picked up and look like their old selves again over the last two months.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7540 on: March 5, 2019, 06:23:57 pm »
City like ourselves have got to go into every game and earn the win.

Every team has a lot to play for - be it to stay in the division, get into the CL or be a spoiler (come on Roy and Brandon  :))

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7541 on: March 5, 2019, 06:31:26 pm »
Burnley away is a far tougher test than Watford home. Not sure how you worked that out as a tougher fixture.

City drew 1-1 at Burnley last season and even though they're not as good as last season, they've picked up and look like their old selves again over the last two months.

Watford have more/better players that could cause City problems more than what Burnley could do regardless of if they're home or away.  Which is why I said I'd rate them higher.

Burnley also overperformed last year.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7542 on: March 5, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »
I think the anxiety of the fan base will be the thing that kills the challenge, if anything does.

Nah the crowd at the games have been splendid

A lot on social media, RAWK etc, have definitely bottled it or at least don’t have the stomach for a title fight that twists and turns but they don’t really matter for how we approach and perform in games.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #7543 on: March 5, 2019, 06:39:10 pm »

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7544 on: March 5, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
Watford have more/better players that could cause City problems more than what Burnley could do regardless of if they're home or away.  Which is why I said I'd rate them higher.

Burnley also overperformed last year.

You can't just ignore that though. That's a big factor in comparing the difficulty of both fixtures.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #7545 on: March 5, 2019, 06:47:35 pm »
We'll be top on Sunday night. Onwards.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7546 on: March 5, 2019, 06:51:04 pm »
You can't just ignore that though. That's a big factor in comparing the difficulty of both fixtures.

That's just my opinion mate. I am not saying that Burnley aren't difficult to play against [they'll be hell bent on kicking the daylights out of us on Sunday] I am just thinking in terms of individual set ups and quality they have that City have dropped points against this season.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7547 on: March 5, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »
We’re not playing well..... and another draw and we’re needing Manchester City to slipy up in 2 games from the 9!
I think basically it went Sunday......

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7548 on: March 5, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »
We’re not playing well..... and another draw and we’re needing Manchester City to slipy up in 2 games from the 9!

Nonsense. We are absolutely rock solid. Ok the attacking intent was somewhat disappointing, but we've gone to Old Trafford and Goodison without giving up even a chance, and thumped Watford 5-0 in the middle of it.

I was disappointed we couldn't beat a poor Everton but a draw at Goodison is fine in any normal season. Looking at the fixtures we are well capable of 7 or 8 wins particularly with the likes of VVD playing as they are to give us a platform to win games. We've given ourselves a chance as we approach the Championship rounds, in a fight most in the country expected City to win at a canter

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7549 on: March 5, 2019, 07:27:31 pm »
I think we're probably going to have to win every game, in all honesty, because i really don't see City dropping points in more than one game max.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7550 on: March 5, 2019, 07:36:20 pm »
Who says City won't  lose points?  Guardiola reckons they will.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #7551 on: March 5, 2019, 07:41:58 pm »
Who says City won't  lose points?  Guardiola reckons they will.
City will drop points. 2 in fact- within the next 5 and another 2 in their last 5. Just an opinion, but it's mine.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 07:57:37 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #7552 on: March 5, 2019, 07:47:03 pm »
City will drop points. 2 in fact.

It'll be 4 but the outcome is the same.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7553 on: March 5, 2019, 07:49:23 pm »
City will drop points. 2 in fact.

Aye, in the next game
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #7554 on: March 5, 2019, 07:58:23 pm »
It'll be 4 but the outcome is the same.
Aye, in the next game
Yep. I just have that feeling. I also edited my post. ;D

They've been struggling recently to eke out wins and could esily have dropped points. One of those were at home. Not to speak of the mounting injury list.
And we're not finished there- as it stands, they have more games than us as well. Not just that- those Cup games, I do not see them being able to rest key players with it being quarters and they might progress to the semis, which would do me. Big squad or not, they're stumbling forward. Any minute now..

We've had our rest- even if it meant a few below par performances in the short ter, we're set for the last stretch and we're only going to get better!
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 08:12:29 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7555 on: March 5, 2019, 08:24:53 pm »
Anfield should and will be an absolute furnace for the next few games. We should be fucking chuffed with where we are given our remaining fixtures compared to City's. It's there to be won. Let's go and blow the roof off.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7556 on: March 5, 2019, 08:35:53 pm »
I really want to see Keita,Shaqiri,Mane Salah and Bobby all against Burnley and blow them away on Sunday

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7557 on: March 5, 2019, 08:43:07 pm »
Not particularly worried if i'm honest. Maybe i'm being overly optimistic but being one point behind is far from the end of anything and even the goal difference is something that can be made up in as little as 2 games. There are still a lot of games to be played and a lot can happen in that time

For all the talk of remaining games, obviously its natural to focus on their 'big' games, but they've slipped up a few times when people haven't really expected it so what's stopping that from happening again. Not even losses but draws could be hugely significant, the gap is that small. Its frustrating to see us drop points but we're right in the mix in March which is exactly what we all wanted. Fuck all the hype and media talk and just get our heads down and focus on ourselves

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7558 on: March 5, 2019, 08:43:46 pm »
Willing to bet that Brexit wanker Dyche goes all out to injure us and play dirty tactics. Him and Colin Wanker hate us, nothing they'd hate seeing more than us winning the title.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7559 on: March 5, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »

Yes I mean 5-0 against Watford was so poor.....
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"