Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 774467 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #3800 on: July 3, 2020, 09:33:55 am »
He doesn’t though :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3801 on: July 3, 2020, 09:41:01 am »
I can take tonight’s result but I’m pissed about how that little runt sterling gave joe the runaround, to the point of a half time sub.  We played sterling well before this 😟
Sterling was able to perform because it was an empty stadium. Get a couple of reds in the stands booing him and he’d have been subbed off at half-time because he can’t keep his head.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3802 on: July 3, 2020, 09:41:58 am »
Let’s see if he could emulate Trent in terms of mental toughness.

Remembered when Trent first played for us, he made the same mistake twice is 2 consecutive games but came back stronger after that.

We need him to come back stronger and smarter and not have the same boo boo. But like some said, if he doesn’t move upward then I am afraid the bench or window is where he would be.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #3803 on: July 3, 2020, 09:58:48 am »
None of the defense covered themselves in glory at all but none of the defense had a single drop of cover from their midfield (bar Fab) or even wide attacking partners who would usually come back to help. Was a weird game, it was like they were full up for it in body but not in mind. Strange situation for them to be in as its the first time they have ever played a game as champions with the league already won and in the middle of a crowdless end of season due to covid.

I think if the game mattered at all we get something from it. Not that they didn't care but I just think overall circumstances, bit of bad luck on the night and a couple of shite individual performances from those who have been rock solid all season cost us. Meh, move on and win the rest of our games and get that MuhFkn trophy  :champ

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #3804 on: July 3, 2020, 10:00:31 am »

Remembered when Trent first played for us, he made the same mistake twice is 2 consecutive games but came back stronger after that.

We need him to come back stronger and smarter and not have the same boo boo. But like some said, if he doesn’t move upward then I am afraid the bench or window is where he would be.

Unless I have misread that......get the fuck outa here with that bullshit jeesus christ. Yeh, lets sell Gomez
« Last Edit: July 3, 2020, 10:08:25 am by Flaccid Bobby Fowler »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3805 on: July 3, 2020, 10:03:01 am »
Gomez has been brilliant for 2 seasons and wasn't even our worst defender last night. I know it's a minoritu but don't really get what goes through some fans heads.

He doesn't need to come back stronger, prove anything or worry about his place.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3806 on: July 3, 2020, 10:04:28 am »
That guy is on a major windup, ignore him.

Yes he had a bad game but evrey single player will have them from time to time. Joe Gomez is the present and future of our defence weather you like it or not.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3807 on: July 3, 2020, 10:09:27 am »

I don't have a single doubt about that, its people like you who doubt him for some reason. Oh and by the way Klopp subbed him yesterday because he was on a yellow card and it was nothing to do with his performance.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: July 3, 2020, 10:09:44 am »
Gomez was poor last night but, VVD apart, so was the defence. I would like to see Joe focus on his heading, too often he fails to get a clean connection when jumping with an opponent. Being seen as the weaker partner with VVD (who wouldn't) will tend to make teams focus their best header up against him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3809 on: July 3, 2020, 10:11:57 am »
That guy is on a major windup, ignore him.

Yes he had a bad game but evrey single player will have them from time to time. Joe Gomez is the present and future of our defence weather you like it or not.  ;D

A wind up would suggest he doesn’t believe what he’s typing mate ;D Would suggest a self awareness that doesn’t exist.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3810 on: July 3, 2020, 10:41:28 am »
I don't have a single doubt about that, its people like you who doubt him for some reason. Oh and by the way Klopp subbed him yesterday because he was on a yellow card and it was nothing to do with his performance.
I would say it is a combination of yellow and also performance. Would Klopp have taken off VVD if he was on a yellow?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3811 on: July 3, 2020, 10:42:16 am »
He had a bad game alongside everyone else who was still pissed from the weekend. Rather him do it now than a few months back.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: July 3, 2020, 10:49:34 am »
I would say it is a combination of yellow and also performance. Would Klopp have taken off VVD if he was on a yellow?

If someone else was available and we were playing against a bunch of divers possibly he would.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3813 on: July 3, 2020, 10:51:31 am »

I haven’t been here very long, but this might be the worst post I’ve seen on the forum so far.

Gomez has had to come back from more than one serious long-term injury, improved to such a level that he’s become part of one of the best defences in European football, played an integral part in us winning the Premier League and the Champions League over the past couple of seasons, and you want to question his mental toughness because of one bad game?

Have a word with yourself.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3814 on: July 3, 2020, 11:54:50 am »

You genuinely need to give your head a major wobble. Your posts about Gomez yesterday and today have either been a massive wind up, or put you right to the top of the clueless list.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3815 on: July 3, 2020, 11:56:55 am »
What do I think about the Big Man's performance last night?

Sterling is a c*nt.

:wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3816 on: July 3, 2020, 06:44:08 pm »
What do I think about the Big Man's performance last night?

Sterling is a c*nt.

:wave

Hope you’ve caught up with the thread by now mate.  ;)   

Re Sterling though... I think anything either of them did Thursday night was going to seem controversial because of their little tiff last year. But the penalty for me was spot on... Joey got himself in trouble there. But like I said before, none of the other defenders covered themselves in glory that night. Robbo and Trent still looked tipsy :D

Am finding it hard to believe people actually think this damages Gomez’s prospects as VVD’s long term partner. He just helped us win a league title with a ridiculous number of clean sheets alongside VVD. People have short memories. . . Or probably not a lot of patience with certain players. We live in a world of unequal love.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3817 on: July 4, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
Hope you’ve caught up with the thread by now mate.  ;)   

It was in jest  :wave

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3818 on: July 7, 2020, 09:34:24 am »
James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC
In the 17 PL games Joe Gomez has started this season #LFC have conceded an average of 0.5 goals & 8.2 shots per game with a win percentage of 94. :o

Without him, Klopp's men have conceded an average of one goal and 10.5 shots per game, with the win percentage dropping to 81.2.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/07/07/crazy-stat-shows-joe-gomez-is-simply-a-must-start-alongside-virgil-van-dijk/
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 09:39:16 am by rocco »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: July 7, 2020, 10:10:42 am »
James Pearce
@JamesPearceLFC
In the 17 PL games Joe Gomez has started this season #LFC have conceded an average of 0.5 goals & 8.2 shots per game with a win percentage of 94. :o

Without him, Klopp's men have conceded an average of one goal and 10.5 shots per game, with the win percentage dropping to 81.2.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/07/07/crazy-stat-shows-joe-gomez-is-simply-a-must-start-alongside-virgil-van-dijk/
That goals per game was 0.3 until the City game.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3820 on: July 7, 2020, 10:15:44 am »
There is a poster on the Athletic who is trying to claim that Joe is no better than Skrtel! I can't even begin to get my head around that one.  ;D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3821 on: July 7, 2020, 10:17:25 am »
There is a poster on the Athletic who is trying to claim that Joe is no better than Skrtel! I can't even begin to get my head around that one.  ;D

Don't worry, I found a corner of Liverpool fans on twitter that thinks Fabinho is horrendous. The nutters are out there.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: July 7, 2020, 11:36:56 am »
Don't worry, I found a corner of Liverpool fans on twitter that thinks Fabinho is horrendous. The nutters are out there.

"Why doesn't the [defensive midfielder] score more?"; "Why doesn't he start for Brazil if he's so good?"; "He's not fast enough."

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3823 on: July 7, 2020, 11:45:21 am »
Gomez's pace is a major asset as we can hold a ridiculously high line and have the recovery pace on counters. We got caught out at City but that is the exception.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3824 on: July 7, 2020, 08:41:37 pm »
Nice interview from Joe.

Joe Gomez's Jurgen Klopp debt after Liverpool boss eased injury 'devastation' on first day they met
Liverpool's young centre back feared for his future after picking up a serious knee injury just days before Jurgen Klopp arrived at Anfield

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez has spoken about how Jurgen Klopp eased his 'devastation' at being injured as soon as he arrived at Anfield.

The London-born defender arrived on Merseyside three and half months before Klopp in the summer of 2015 and made an impressive beginning to his Liverpool career, starting the first five league matches of the season under Brendan Rodgers in an unfamiliar left back role.

He sustained a serious knee ligament injury however while playing for the England U21 side in the first week of October, just days before Klopp was appointed Liverpool manager, which effectively ended his season.

Gomez was waiting on scan results when he learned of Klopp's appointment and has told Sky Sports how his fears the awful timing of his injury would jeopardise his chances under Klopp were swiftly laid to rest.

Gomez said: "I got my scan for my ACL the day he came in.

"Obviously at that point in time as a young player, I remember being on that camp when it got announced that he was going to be our manager and I think I was 18 at the time, you are eager to come back and impress.

"And you are thinking, 'does he know about me? What does he think of me? Am I going to get a chance?' So obviously at that point, I was devastated at the timing being so bad, but straight away he spoke to me.

"I remember getting the results in the doctor's office. "And as soon as I got the results he came in and spoke to me and just said, 'I'm here for you and I'll be waiting for you,' that sort of thing.

"Those words stuck with me throughout my whole rehab, which obviously was a tough one. I had my setbacks, but he was always communicating with me.

"Then coming back - he himself had an ACL injury when he was playing and I think that helped him relate and understand what I was going through.

"And not just once I got back, but just the process and understanding that I myself was still young at the time and that even when I thought I was ready, I was not ready and he knew when I was ready.

"He was massive for me and since then I have had numerous difficult injuries and he was always understanding and communicating with me.

"Thankfully I have had a longer period now where I have been able to get games under my belt and play consistently and I am thankful that he showed that patience in me, because throughout that time, you never know if you will get a chance again.

"And he showed faith in me, so I will forever be in his debt for that."

Gomez, who has gone on to become a regular fixture at centre back under Klopp and has played 38 games in all competitions so far this season, went on describe the influence the charismatic German boss has had on him not just professionally but personally.

"He is an unbelievable manager and an unbelievable person as well," Gomez explained. "He is just a good person as well off the pitch and I think that translates to all of us and it makes us want to play for him and do our best on the pitch.

"And the fact that he is human and he does not seem like this distant boss that we cannot speak to and approach - he is an approachable person and a role model for us all."

"I would say that I have learned just as much from him as a person just in my everyday life and attitude towards life as I have as a footballer and a professional.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-gomezs-jurgen-klopp-debt-18559132?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3825 on: July 8, 2020, 11:41:35 am »
Great article. Thanks for that, @jillc

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: July 8, 2020, 10:15:57 pm »
Still an absolute kid in terms of CBs, and still the best young CB around

But....he’s also clocking up an increasing number of ‘if that was Lovren’ performances. Not good today, positioning was all over the shop.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3827 on: July 8, 2020, 10:18:40 pm »
Yup, feels like his concentration wanders during games.  Needs to be constantly on it and also stop with the grappling when he gets done.  Could easily have been pulled up for the clothesline in the first half and then did the same thing in the second when the Brighton player got away from him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3828 on: July 8, 2020, 10:21:21 pm »
Mate always says it to me at the game, he thrives on pressure being put on his starting role. When he’s comfortable and a guaranteed starter he seems to have these concentration issues. Still a kid though, it’ll all come together.
AHA!

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3829 on: July 8, 2020, 10:37:19 pm »
Gomez often seems to lose the flight of the ball in the air which leads him  consistently get lost under long balls, miscue headers or lose aerial dules - quite a big weakness for a centre half. His positioning is not best and in his current form you can see why Klopp has selected Matip ahead of him at times.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3830 on: July 8, 2020, 10:54:03 pm »
Gomez often seems to lose the flight of the ball in the air which leads him  consistently get lost under long balls, miscue headers or lose aerial dules - quite a big weakness for a centre half. His positioning is not best and in his current form you can see why Klopp has selected Matip ahead of him at times.

Or maybe he's taking a bit longer to find his rhythm all players are different in that respect. He wasn't alone I thought Trent wasn't great either and even Alisson's kicking was a bit suspect today. We were giving the ball away at the wrong moments, which did leave us open at the back. I don't think Gini had a great game either in the first half.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: July 8, 2020, 11:05:19 pm »
Or maybe he's taking a bit longer to find his rhythm all players are different in that respect. He wasn't alone I thought Trent wasn't great either and even Alisson's kicking was a bit suspect today. We were giving the ball away at the wrong moments, which did leave us open at the back. I don't think Gini had a great game either in the first half.

Neither did Trent.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3832 on: July 8, 2020, 11:14:21 pm »
I think he and Trent have both struggled to get back into rhythm since the restart, the Palace game aside.

It will come, they just don't look to be back on the same wavelength yet. The standards they've both set for themselves in terms of level of performance are so high that anything less than outstanding is probably more noticeable than it would be with other players. It's easy to forget how young they both still are as well given everything they've achieved.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3833 on: July 8, 2020, 11:21:59 pm »
For me there’s no long term worry with Gomez. He’s brilliant, but very young for a centre back and he plays next to one of the best to play the game in many a year which while it definitely has its benefits, it’s also quite a shadow to have to perform in.

He has been below par at times since the restart but he’s started slowly in the past after injuries or time out of the team. He’s gonna be a fantastic player for us for years and the issues he has can all and will all get ironed out as he gains more experience.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3834 on: July 8, 2020, 11:26:32 pm »
He looks very off it at the moment.

My issue with Gomez is the amount of head-scratching mistakes he makes.  Some don't/haven't cost us so no one really minds, but I feel he lets his concentration lapse too much, and that's something you can't coach out of a player. I hope I'm wrong, he's had some great spells this year, but I see a few issues with him.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: July 8, 2020, 11:29:14 pm »
He looks very off it at the moment.

My issue with Gomez is the amount of head-scratching mistakes he makes.  Some don't/haven't cost us so no one really minds, but I feel he lets his concentration lapse too much, and that's something you can't coach out of a player. I hope I'm wrong, he's had some great spells this year, but I see a few issues with him.

He always takes a while to play at his best, he's still very young wish people would give him a break. With the exception of Van Dijk the entire back line struggled at times, especially when we weren't winning the second balls. Maybe we should give Brighton a bit of credit here, sometimes teams play well.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3836 on: July 9, 2020, 08:56:58 am »
 Since we won the league (or from the Etihad game) Van Dijk hasn’t been setting the world alight either. It amazes me how people can go on and on and on about Gomez or Trent’s mistakes as if it’s the end of the world, even after winning a match 3-1. But VVD’s lapses in concentrations are completely overlooked and brushed aside. The whole back 5 has been less than their very best these last few games but we don’t need to go on about it because we’ve already won the league and they are human beings. A drop off was always inevitable. No need to question Joe’s future or self-comfort with platitudes like “he’s still young; room to improve.” Fucking hell. The guy helped keep dozens of clean sheets already alongside VVD. He’s got nothing to prove anymore. We’ve got nothing else to play for this season. Cut him some slack.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: July 9, 2020, 09:02:25 am »
Since we won the league (or from the Etihad game) Van Dijk hasn’t been setting the world alight either. It amazes me how people can go on and on and on about Gomez or Trent’s mistakes as if it’s the end of the world, even after winning a match 3-1. But VVD’s lapses in concentrations are completely overlooked and brushed aside. The whole back 5 has been less than their very best these last few games but we don’t need to go on about it because we’ve already won the league and they are human beings. A drop off was always inevitable. No need to question Joe’s future or self-comfort with platitudes like “he’s still young; room to improve.” Fucking hell. The guy helped keep dozens of clean sheets already alongside VVD. He’s got nothing to prove anymore. We’ve got nothing else to play for this season. Cut him some slack.

Not having a go at any of them, just pointing out that Brighton attacked really well and asked questions of the defence generally in those moments. Ali's kicking was a bit erratic at times as well, but it was our failure to win the second balls which was giving the defence certain issues and making them look more open than usual. As for Joe, he always takes a little longer to find his rhythm but it will come.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3838 on: July 9, 2020, 09:41:14 am »
I think people are saying he has the odd 'dodgy game' or 'dodgy moment' - nobody is saying he's a 'dodgy player'.

We are the fans.

If we want to call out a player who has a 'dodgy moment' or a 'dodgy game' then we can.

This is our club - it is not a religion.

Religions are notorious for denying free speech to its followers.

This forum can become like a religion though, with its zealots, fanatics and extremists who preach and scold like they're some fuckin high and mighty idol themselves.

I'm not getting at you Morgana so don't take it personally - I'm getting at the self-appointed dictators whose word must be treated as gospel.

Hey ho - all said and done, I think he's brilliant ;D

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3839 on: July 9, 2020, 02:01:10 pm »
I think Gomez has the physical attributes to be a great centre back - speed, strength, and he's a good passer to boot (though not quite as good as Matip me thinks). My main issue with Gomez is the decision making, which reminds me of Skrtel and Lovren at their worst. The shirt pulling on opposing strikers at corners, the body hugging of opponents (and not looking at the ball), and the most recent example, grabbing Sterling and giving away the penalty against City (and pls don't say Sterling started it first). He just needs to stop doing these things - it's like in those moments, his brain switches off.

The one trait that seems to set the best defenders apart - look at Virgil, Nesta, Cannavaro, Rio, Maldini - is the calmness when defending. They are on top of the situations always, and when they resort to pulling, it's because they are taking one for the team and have made a decision that the foul is necessary in the circumstances. If Gomez can iron out those hare-brained moments, and improve his heading, then he certainly can become a top defender.