Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 774797 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #3760 on: June 24, 2020, 10:14:20 pm »
He’s everything we thought he would be when he first signed, and at 18 was already looking like one of our best players in an unorthodox left back position, two major injuries later and he has still gone on to be nearly on par with the best cb in the world, incredible  player.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3761 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:51 am »
Who da big man now?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3762 on: June 25, 2020, 09:35:36 am »
Sterling must be looking forward to potentially giving Joe a guard of honour next week. 8)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3763 on: June 25, 2020, 09:37:50 am »
He was outstanding last night.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #3764 on: June 25, 2020, 09:38:32 am »
I thought he was unbelievable last night, won everything and great with his passing. Him sitting slightly deeper allowed Virgil to come higher up the pitch too.Would love him to get a goal before the campaign is over but this lad genuinely loves defending!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: June 25, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
Sterling must be looking forward to potentially giving Joe a guard of honour next week. 8)

:scarf :scarf :scarf
:champ :champ :champ
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3766 on: June 25, 2020, 09:43:50 am »
I thought he was unbelievable last night, won everything and great with his passing. Him sitting slightly deeper allowed Virgil to come higher up the pitch too.Would love him to get a goal before the campaign is over but this lad genuinely loves defending!
His first game, too. after the break. A couple of rusty moments perhaps, but he shrugged those aside, and soon became the Joe we all love to see to play. Long may he reign!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #3767 on: June 25, 2020, 09:48:27 am »
He handled the threat of Ayew exceptionally well. Ayew is no slouch and is very good at holding up play - he rarely managed to do that and largely that's because of Joe Gomez. The quality of this young man is astounding. With Virgil, Matip and Gomez we have three top quality CBs. I don't think any team in the League can match that.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3768 on: June 25, 2020, 12:02:36 pm »
What a player. Better and better as a defender.
Remember arguing with a friend about Big Joe. He kept laughing at my claim that Joe is easily top 5 for CB's in the PL. IMO he is already world-class.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3769 on: June 25, 2020, 12:05:40 pm »
And that's why we have no interest in Koulibaly  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3770 on: June 25, 2020, 12:08:48 pm »
What a player. Better and better as a defender.
Remember arguing with a friend about Big Joe. He kept laughing at my claim that Joe is easily top 5 for CB's in the PL. IMO he is already world-class.
Top two I’d say and he plays next to the best
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: June 25, 2020, 12:16:38 pm »
Dare I say it, he was better than Big Virg yesterday. No slight on VVD as Gomez was on top form yesterday.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3772 on: June 25, 2020, 01:30:42 pm »
And I would agree with you right now. We have got two brilliant centre backs right now.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3773 on: June 25, 2020, 01:33:42 pm »

True, he does sometimes

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3774 on: June 25, 2020, 01:37:49 pm »
About 45 seconds before the last goal, he made an interception near the sideline that, if I tried it, would probably have ripped my hamstring from the bone. Joe, being Joe, it was absolutely effortless.  I remember Jockey at his peak, and everyone said about him that he made it look all so easy. That's Jomez. And has just turned 23...

We have a couple of Rolls Royce footballers at centre back. Or a Rolls and a Bentley. Whatever luxury car models you'd prefer.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3775 on: June 29, 2020, 02:40:44 pm »
Richard Jolly
@RichJolly

Joe Gomez has lost as many Premier League games as a starter under Brendan Rodgers (2) as under Jurgen Klopp. He played for Rodgers for four months, for Klopp for four years and eight months.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3776 on: June 29, 2020, 02:48:23 pm »
About 45 seconds before the last goal, he made an interception near the sideline that, if I tried it, would probably have ripped my hamstring from the bone. Joe, being Joe, it was absolutely effortless.  I remember Jockey at his peak, and everyone said about him that he made it look all so easy. That's Jomez. And has just turned 23...

We have a couple of Rolls Royce footballers at centre back. Or a Rolls and a Bentley. Whatever luxury car models you'd prefer.

Sports cars. How many frontline CBs are there in the world who are as quick as Van Dijk and Gomez?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: June 29, 2020, 03:22:16 pm »
His ability still isn't fully appreciated beyond Liverpool supporters because VVD is so brilliant.

If Joe Gomez isn't already one of the best centre-backs in the world, he's very close to that level. He's so far ahead of the other English centre-backs that it's a joke at this point - still only 23, a European Champion, a Premier League Champion, possesses every attribute you could want in a centre-back, learning from the very best in the world at his position and plays for the best manager in the game.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: June 29, 2020, 03:29:14 pm »
Thread title needs updating.  8)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3780 on: June 29, 2020, 03:54:50 pm »
Gomez is such a talented young footballer and has the potential to be the best centre back in the World. I'm struggling to think of many better centre backs in World football that are 25 and under. Think Gomez would be at the top end of that group that includes Niklas Sule, Dayot Upamecano, Matthijs de Ligt, Caglar Soyuncu, Martin Skriniar. Just below that I think Jonathan Tah and Lucas Hernandez are 2 very talented young centre backs who could grow immensely over the next few years.

Gomez is as talented, and currently as good as, any of those centre backs listed above. He has the huge advantage that lightening quick compared to most of those centre backs. He's probably more talented on the ball than most of them. Only real area where others excel over Gomez its his aerial ability. Joe is not bad in the air at all but he's not going to a dominating centre back in the air they way VvD is or how Sule might be.

There's a lot of talk on these boards and from Liverpool supporters generally about succession planning. Whilst a lot of the focus is on the age range of midfield and attack, I think defensively we should be sorted. Having Gomez (23) and TAA (21) in the squad means we should have 2 World class players within the defence, who won't hit their peaks for another 3 to 5 years. That's a hugely comforting thought when you think of the level those individuals may be at in a few years time if they avoid injury and continue to develop.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3781 on: June 29, 2020, 04:41:54 pm »
I see no reason why he couldn’t learn to be aerially dominant. Maybe not as much as someone like VVD is, but up there.

He’s a decent size, he’s strong, he’s got a good leap on him - he just needs to work to bring it all together.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3782 on: June 29, 2020, 08:53:48 pm »
I see no reason why he couldn’t learn to be aerially dominant. Maybe not as much as someone like VVD is, but up there.

He’s a decent size, he’s strong, he’s got a good leap on him - he just needs to work to bring it all together.

He can definitely improve his heading. It's not poor currently but something he can improve on. Distribution also. Though again it's still good at present.

I just wonder if his height (about 6ft 2) means he could never become completely dominant centre back in the air. Not in the way in which someone like van Dijk or Hyypia dominate(d) for us aerially on set pieces etc.. Not many players cn do this so it's probably an unfair standard to hold him up to when he's dominating in other areas (pace and reading of the game).
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3783 on: June 30, 2020, 01:28:09 am »
True, he does sometimes

I meant Lovren actually
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3784 on: June 30, 2020, 02:51:44 am »
He's so underrated by the media and neutrals. I get all the focus is on Virgil who is immense but Gomez and Matip are class, any side in the league would take them. We are so lucky to have all 3!

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #3785 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:19 am »
His ability still isn't fully appreciated beyond Liverpool supporters because VVD is so brilliant.

If Joe Gomez isn't already one of the best centre-backs in the world, he's very close to that level. He's so far ahead of the other English centre-backs that it's a joke at this point - still only 23, a European Champion, a Premier League Champion, possesses every attribute you could want in a centre-back, learning from the very best in the world at his position and plays for the best manager in the game.

Just to emphasize this point, I've argued in favor of Gomez many a time against others and it's always the same 'he only looks so good because he's next to van Dijk'. Interestingly enough, because telling them to actually watch Gomez and see how amazing he already is doesn't really work, here are just some pure statistics:

As you can see above he's second in the league in loose ball recoveries (ahead of van Dijk) behind Kortney Hause. Liverpool have never lost a PL game in which Joe Gomez has started at CB. Since the beginning of the 2017/18 season their record with Joe Gomez at CB is 20 wins, 2 draws, with conceding 0.4 goals per game and having a 64% clean sheet rate; in the same time period without Joe Gomez at CB they've got 35 wins, 6 draws and 2 losses allowing 0.7 goals per game with a 39% clean sheet rate.

When Joe Gomez returned from injury this season this is how the team's performance changed (not updated to the end of the season, but I believe a 14 game sample):

Gheerbrant attributes a significant drop in shots faced (10.4 to 7.1) by Liverpool, shots on target faced (2.9 to 2.0) and expected goals value (1.01 to 0.70) of those chances to Gomez returning to the team, compared to the 14 games he didn’t feature in earlier this year.

Joe Gomez also as highlighted above has the highest recovery rate on the team ahead of van Dijk, he also plays the most passes per 90 mins on the team. His dribbling stats are also really impressive; much higher than van Dijk's or Matip's and also at a higher success rate. Joe Gomez also leads Liverpool in interceptions per 90 (along with the highest number of passes/crosses blocked per 90 of the centrebacks).

To me anyone deriding his class, or not recognizing the world class talent Joe Gomez already is needs to have their eyes checked or their glasses cleaned.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #3786 on: June 30, 2020, 07:51:42 am »
He can definitely improve his heading. It's not poor currently but something he can improve on. Distribution also. Though again it's still good at present.

I just wonder if his height (about 6ft 2) means he could never become completely dominant centre back in the air. Not in the way in which someone like van Dijk or Hyypia dominate(d) for us aerially on set pieces etc.. Not many players cn do this so it's probably an unfair standard to hold him up to when he's dominating in other areas (pace and reading of the game).
Cristiano Ronaldo is the same height and he is dominant in the air against the tallest of CB’s. It can be taught.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3787 on: June 30, 2020, 04:19:10 pm »
Cristiano Ronaldo is the same height and he is dominant in the air against the tallest of CB’s. It can be taught.
It's a talent, I think. Luis Garcia was small by current standards, but his jumping for headers was explosive, winning balls against the tallest defenders. I don't know what goes in that explosiveness...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3788 on: June 30, 2020, 04:24:13 pm »
It's a talent, I think. Luis Garcia was small by current standards, but his jumping for headers was explosive, winning balls against the tallest defenders. I don't know what goes in that explosiveness...

Aggression is key. Suarez won so many headers he had no right to win. Likewise I've played with plenty of 5'10" players who regularly compete with 6'4" CBs purely due to timing and aggression.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3789 on: June 30, 2020, 04:34:31 pm »
Aggression is key. Suarez won so many headers he had no right to win. Likewise I've played with plenty of 5'10" players who regularly compete with 6'4" CBs purely due to timing and aggression.

Yup, compare Origi vs Firmino.  Bobby wins way more headers against bigger opponents than he should, whereas Divok doesn't have that aggression and loses out.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: June 30, 2020, 04:38:16 pm »
Where as you would just roll over them Fatty.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3791 on: June 30, 2020, 04:50:05 pm »
Where as you would just roll over them Fatty.

Eat ball
Roll down pitch
Roll through goal
Win match

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3792 on: June 30, 2020, 05:06:29 pm »

Fabio Cannavaro was also very decent in the air and he was tiny

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3793 on: June 30, 2020, 05:09:06 pm »
A good early judgement of the flight of the ball is key, this then helps the timing of the jump. Joe sometimes takes a little too long judging the correct flight so gets caught under it, a little too often for a world class centre back. But, it's something that can be coached and improved with experience. It's easy to forget how early he is in his centre back career.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #3794 on: July 3, 2020, 12:07:46 am »
I can take tonight’s result but I’m pissed about how that little runt sterling gave joe the runaround, to the point of a half time sub.  We played sterling well before this 😟

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3795 on: July 3, 2020, 12:43:04 am »
I can take tonight’s result but I’m pissed about how that little runt sterling gave joe the runaround, to the point of a half time sub.  We played sterling well before this 😟

Love the guy, but I  feel like he suffers sometimes when under the media (incl. social media) spotlight. All eyes were on him and Sterling today to see if they would further the narrative from our 3-1 victory last year and then the England bust up. Could it be that this was on Joe's mind a bit? Then again, not one member of that defence covered themselves in glory tonight. Virgil was okay, but not great by his usual standards. Robbo was comically atrocious. Then lo and behold Trent started to emulate him. They'll all get it together for the next game though. Not worried. 

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3796 on: July 3, 2020, 07:38:40 am »
More likely due to the fact that Sterling wanted to make a point to him, I wouldn't put it past the ego-eccentric man that he is. Joe seemed to be a yard short of pace last night, like a few in the line up. Added to the fact that Trent was being taken to the cleaners that side kind of collapsed under the pressure. I am not too worried about it, pretty sure they will be much better in the next game. We are not going to be meeting any team who can play like City did yesterday.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3797 on: July 3, 2020, 08:52:03 am »
He was left 1 vs 1 against Sterling quite a few times in the first half, situations we should be looking to avoid.  The whole team was wide open throughout the match.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #3798 on: July 3, 2020, 09:00:15 am »
He was left 1 vs 1 against Sterling quite a few times in the first half, situations we should be looking to avoid.  The whole team was wide open throughout the match.
We went toe to toe with them. The first goal was crucial and we should have scored it.  The penalty was frustrating because we never get them given to us for the fouls on salah in particular, but Joe gave the ref the decision to make.

Outside of that both teams were often one pass away from being in on goal, and their execution was better in those key moments than ours.  Small details, and when you're two up, there's a lot less pressure than being two down.  They could sit back a bit more and counter which suited them.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: July 3, 2020, 09:32:42 am »
He was extremely poor by his standards last night. He has an chance to show he will be VVD long term partner for the next 3-5 years with Matip being injury prone and Lovern in the last year of his contract it really is down to him.

However, can't be putting in many performances like that 1st half or we could be in the transfer market.