Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 547421 times)

Offline marlow79

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2005, 09:20:47 am »
1,000 ML hits now for Ichiro!  8)

He's an outstanding player! He's very slim but....how he can bat! Even HR at some stage! He proves that in baseballl any kind of body would do!

Offline seawa

• will do anything for a hob nob
  • Kopite
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2005, 07:02:53 pm »
And blurred leapfrogs over raptor's redsox into the top half, and now has his eyes on the 5th place Area 51, whose slender 9.2 point advantage looks under threat... :D

My Area 51 team has been struggling lately  :-\

Need to improve if we are going to finish in the top 4!

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2005, 07:31:17 pm »
Hockey? Ha, whats that... ;) ;D
:no
Easy there mate.

I'm devastated they left 04-05 to rot over money.  They're close to coming back and I can't wait.  :D

:wave

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2005, 09:31:22 pm »
come on the Bulls!!!

Michael Jooooooooordan!!! ;)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2005, 12:46:54 pm »
It has been pointed out to me that there is a scoring anomaly. It would seem that pitchers have been gaining points for losing matches which is why the pitching scores have been a little odd. I am adjusting the stat modifiers to correct this and as a result there may be some major changes in the league position resulting from this over the next few days. Apologies to all.

Offline Litherland_Leon

• OOT Feedback Tourist #1
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »
just to piss Beef off, is anyone watching Wimbledon?

:)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2005, 12:56:09 pm »
Take note of the adjusted stat modifiers though Garreth. My cock up at the start of the season has resulted in a distorted league. All changes now made will apply retroactively so league positions will be affected. Biggest loser will be people whose pitchers have conceeded lots of runs and lost more games. Biggest winner will be people whose pitches have completed game shut outs under their belt.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2005, 01:00:23 pm »
How close to the bottom am I

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2005, 01:01:22 pm »
so as of tomorrow the league will be completely different? (assuming that it's an overnight processing sort of thing?)

That is correct. Basically the points before were rewarding pitchers for conceeding runs and losing matches. I also felt that there was insufficent reawrd given to CG's and shutouts. This has now been amended and the next time the stats are updated (probably around 10am tomorrow morning) the league may well look very different. Batters points are unaffected.

Offline Wholey

• Sportsdaq King
  • Legacy Fan
  • Choo Choo!
« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2005, 01:17:12 pm »
Looking at this hits, you might wanna change a few things.

As it stands you get .8 for a hit but receive more points for a strikeout.

If you're reading this signature as a result of reading a post of mine in 'The Bets Thread', then please ignore the aforementioned post as I'm likely to be spouting bollocks and if you follow me, you'll lose money. Thank You.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2005, 04:04:01 pm »
Looking at this hits, you might wanna change a few things.

As it stands you get .8 for a hit but receive more points for a strikeout.

Indeed, will get on to that one, should obviously be - points for a hitter striking out.

Offline seawa

• Kopite
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2005, 06:49:08 pm »
And blurred rockets into 5th, with Area 51 slumping 2 places down to 7th... :)

Arrgghhh what happened?!?

I'm sure this is just a temporary blip, and I will be moving up to my rightful place once the scoring changes come in to effect.  ;)

Probably . . .

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2005, 06:56:40 pm »
Based on a quick nosey at everybodies stat's I believe RDB reds will be the biggest beneficiary from the changes.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2005, 09:18:46 pm »
Bumped for MO.

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2005, 10:40:12 pm »
I love you, Roy Halladay!
Leading the league in CG and SHO last I checked, can't wait to see what happens. :)

As for the incorrect modifiers, well... I was wondering why Bret Boone had so many points.
RAWK Fantasy Baseball 2006 Champion!

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2005, 12:42:42 pm »
Following from yesterdays adjustment it now appears that pitchers are seriously undervalued when compared to hitters. I will rectify this by upping the modifiers for pitchers gaining wins,saves etc. This change should have no effect on league positions and should hopefully be the last change required.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2005, 12:50:41 pm »
No, pitchers are now losing -2 points for a loss, previously was +1.3 I think, hence the massive points reductions in everyones scores today. If you select the view complete standings page you can see where minus points are now in effect.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 12:52:35 pm by raptor24 »

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2005, 12:55:12 pm »
Haven't read the entirety of this thread but i know somewhere you can go and watch baseball now...

sorry if anyone takes offence to me posting this shithole...

:wave

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2005, 12:55:17 pm »
That was the changes I made today not yesterday. These will have the effect of giving pitchers more points from tomorrow onwards. I also amended wins from 2.4 to 3.8 which is not listed above.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2005, 01:00:01 pm »
You can replace Hudson if you wish. If he is on the DL list you can temporarily pick another player until Hudson returns.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2005, 01:03:54 pm »
No, you will have to manually change it back.

Offline stonewall

• penalty
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2005, 01:36:39 pm »
This is my type of Baseball player - go on fella!!

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2005, 01:42:37 pm »
Complete baseball novice but would like to take in a ball game - off to Chicago in early October, will the regular season still be going or will it only be play-offs? Not sure how good the Cubs or White Sox are anyway but would be cool to sip a few cold ones whilst not having a clue what's happening on the field!
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline RI-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • What the fuck is Goony Goo Goo?
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2005, 01:49:18 pm »
Complete baseball novice but would like to take in a ball game - off to Chicago in early October, will the regular season still be going or will it only be play-offs? Not sure how good the Cubs or White Sox are anyway but would be cool to sip a few cold ones whilst not having a clue what's happening on the field!

Most teams will be playing their final games of the season on the 1st and 2nd of October unless they are in the Divisional Championships and then onto the World Series!

At the moment the White Sox are leading the AL Central Division so there is a possiblity that they could still be playing in October however the Cubs are trailing behind the Cardinals in the NL Central Division.  Not much chance unless they can pick up the Wild Card position as the Cardinals are too strong!
That ginger haired twat looks like a proper manc c*nt!

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2005, 01:58:55 pm »
Cool - cheers RI-Red! C'mon the White Sox! Let's go White Sox *clap* *clap* *clap* etc  :D

Reading up on Chicago and it seems like a really sporty city, if the baseball doesn't work out then hopefully basketball or hockey will be on offer. Went to Madison Square Garden for a Knicks game last year and that was amazing, even though, again, I didn't know much about the rules etc. Shame the Knicks got whooped by the Celtics. First home game of the season and the home side got booed off the court  ::) :)

Offline seawa

• Kopite
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2005, 04:32:15 pm »
And with the points adjustment Area 51 sneaks back up above blurred, to the tune of 1.26 points - the slenderest of margins! :)

Woohoo  :D
Increasing the points for saves should help me out too.

Cool - cheers RI-Red! C'mon the White Sox! Let's go White Sox *clap* *clap* *clap* etc  :D

I wouldn't count on being able to get playoff tickets - there will be a huge demand and they will be hard to come by for non season ticket holders.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2005, 04:55:54 pm »
And in other news the Yankees are leaving the house that Babe Ruth built.

NEW YORK -- A new Yankee Stadium leaped from past dreams to future reality Wednesday, when club and government officials parted the curtain on construction plans for an $800 million project to replace and honor the Major Leagues' third-oldest ballpark.
Plans for the new stadium, the centerpiece of a broad redevelopment project to revitalize the Bronx riverfront, were announced at a press conference in the Stadium Club of the current Yankee Stadium.

Numerous political dignitaries, including New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York Gov. George Pataki and a host of city and Bronx elected officials, joined Yankees owner George Steinbrenner in an event highlighted by the unveiling of renderings of the 51,000-seat park, targeted for a 2009 opening.

Construction in Macombs Dam Park, adjacent to and north of the current field, is scheduled to begin late next spring.

"We decided we want to stay in the Bronx. We want to do the job here," said Steinbrenner. "We wanted to do something for the people who've always supported this team."

While Yankees officials enthusiastically hailed the coming of a state-of-the-art showcase for sports' most successful franchise, government officials hailed that it will be built without public subsidy.

The Yankees plan to pay for all costs related to the stadium, and its subsequent maintenance.

"We are staying at home in the Bronx," Yankees president Randy Levine said. "We are continuing our tradition in the Bronx.

"The Yankees, not the taxpayers, will pay for this project. The Yankees, not the taxpayers, will pay to maintain this ballpark."

New York City will contribute $205 million -- pushing total budget for the project past the $1 billion mark -- to develop 28 acres of recreational facilities around the stadium and to erect new public structures.

"We make investments. We don't do subsidies," Mayor Bloomberg said. "In every case, the city will get paid back -- with a profit."

"What a trememdous day," proclaimed Gov. Pataki. "Yes, it's a great day for the Yankees, but no doubt it will go down as a historic day for New York ... a day we can all be proud of."

Levine presented a series of artist renderings depicting the new park from different perspectives. One highlighted the familiar facade of original Yankee Stadium.

New Yankee Stadium will feature modern conveniences -- such as dozens of luxury suites and wider concourses -- while also paying homage to the Yankees' home since 1923.

Preliminary plans are for the preservation of key elements of the current Yankee Stadium, such as the playing field for the use of local amateur leagues.

Other elements of the stadium, most notably Monument Park, will simply be relocated into the new park.

Not only will the new house retain the feel of the current ballpark with identical field dimensions and bullpen placements, but many planned features will actually recapture some of the original features eradicated by the extensive renovation that was done on the old stadium from 1973-75.

"We lost many of the great characteristics of the original house," Levine said. "The new stadium will take us back to our origins. This isn't the end of the legacy, but a continuation."

Among those features will be the exterior, a structure separate from the rest of the ballpark that will resemble the exterior of the original stadium.

The stadium's design is by Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum (HOK) Sport-Venue-Event, whose retro touch is already visible on the MLB landscape in places such as Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Minute Maid Park in Houston and PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

"We decided we want to stay in the Bronx. We want to do the job here. We wanted to do something for the people who've always supported this team."
-- George Steinbrenner
The Yankees will also be responsible for the ongoing maintenance of the ballpark, the significance of which was stressed by Mayor Bloomberg. The city foots maintenance of the current stadium.

"And in the last five years, we've spent $30 million on upkeep," said Bloomberg, who estimated that the new stadium will "in the next 30 years, bring the city $350 million in revenue. That's not to mention 3,600 construction jobs, and 500 to 1,000 permanent jobs."

Bloomberg, saying the project will "drive the incredible renaissance in the South Bronx," said the city would contribute $135 million toward developing parks and recreational facilites, and another $70 million for the construction of four parking structures with a total of 5,000 spaces.

Groundbreaking will culminate years of plans by the Yankees organization to develop a new ballpark.

Those plans were accelerated a few weeks ago, when club and city government officials reached agreement on a memorandum of understanding covering numerous aspects of the new Yankee Stadium's construction and eventual operation.

"This is an exemplary private-public partnership," said Yankees general partner Steve Swindal, "which, without the support of our fans, could not be accomplished."

As conceived by Bronx borough president Adolfo Carrion Jr., the broader development includes a hotel, convention center and a magnet high school for sports-related careers in medicine and adminstration.

"This is a very special day," Carrion said. "We have all won today. Together, we will build a better city."

Only Boston's Fenway Park (built in 1912) and Chicago's Wrigley Field (1914) are older than Yankee Stadium.

"We pledge to all our fans that this ballpark will be affordable," Levine said.

Gifford Miller, the youthful speaker of the New York City Council, sounded an appropriate footnote to an announcement that doubtless stirred mixed feelings in many fans.

"This is a bittersweet occasion for me," Miller said. "I spent the best moments of my life in this stadium. I've suffered cut shins, from jumping up and down in joy, and broken hearts. But ... the stadium is falling apart.

"I want to make sure that for many years, I'll be able to bring my sons to a ballpark where they can experience moments like the ones I did."

Offline Wholey

• Sportsdaq King
  • Legacy Fan
  • Choo Choo!
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2005, 05:59:03 pm »
::)

Just went to trade Garcia for Young, who I've been watching lately.

Selected Young, went through the appropriate scenes and all of a sudden Young has been snapped up.

:(
If you're reading this signature as a result of reading a post of mine in 'The Bets Thread', then please ignore the aforementioned post as I'm likely to be spouting bollocks and if you follow me, you'll lose money. Thank You.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2005, 06:53:35 pm »
Stop moaning, you're winning.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2005, 07:06:54 pm »
I wouldn't count on being able to get playoff tickets - there will be a huge demand and they will be hard to come by for non season ticket holders.

Boo! But I've supported the White Sox for a whole afternoon, I'm right proper loyal and deserve to be rewarded with a ticket!  ::)  ;)
Good point about the play-offs, ah, at the very least I'll catch a ballgame in a bar somewhere (and I promise not to ask why they're playing rounders with a bigger bat or whether Bull Durham is playing...)

Offline seawa

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2005, 07:17:04 pm »
Very wise ;)

If they do make the playoffs, there will be a lot of excitement so it should be a fun time to visit Chicago.   :)

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2005, 07:24:18 pm »
October  -no baseball in chicago!! not a hope

not a bad sports month though - 2nd month of the footbal season - may be able to take in a bears game if you can get tickets! or try for tickets for a college game - head down to Illinois U!

basketball and hockey may be available if you time it right  - and there are no more strikes.

Hockey is a great live sport - but get soemone to explain it to you - and if you can;t get to a NHL game then check out an AHL game - one league down but still good fun.

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2005, 08:45:51 pm »
::)

Just went to trade Garcia for Young, who I've been watching lately.

Selected Young, went through the appropriate scenes and all of a sudden Young has been snapped up.

:(
:nirnir

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2005, 09:02:13 pm »
Just wondering if anyone else is interested, I created a league called Home Run Derby, where the only stats counted are home runs.  +1 for a home run, -1 for a home run given up by your pitcher.  Draft has to be finished in two days.

Id is 368204
password is ' yep '

Offline MO

• Main Stander
  • What we achieved in Istanbul, Echoes in Eternity
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2005, 04:27:52 pm »
hi fellow baseball nuts, i just joined a yahoo group today and its excellent. anyone can join it. its call unofficialfivebaseball http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/unofficialfivebaseball/
thats the link for anyone who wants to come and join. the group has frequent news and polls for members and also picture galleries.

St Louis Caqrdinals are unstoppable the division is well an trully over

Offline seawa

• Kopite
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2005, 04:36:52 pm »
Welcome MO :wave

St Louis Caqrdinals are unstoppable the division is well an trully over

Have you met Molly yet?  I'm sure the two of you would get along ;D

Offline MO

• Main Stander
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2005, 05:11:17 pm »
nope who is she?

Offline seawa

• Kopite
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2005, 05:20:38 pm »
A fellow Cardinals fan  :)

Offline MO

• Main Stander
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2005, 05:24:33 pm »
where is she?

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2005, 05:27:18 pm »
I really wanted to go see a game against your M's over the weekend but I had to choose between going by myself to that game or taking my kid and my girl to the Dodgers game. Had to choose the divisional rivalry.
Come on the Pads!
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."