Author Topic: Women's World Cup 2019 (*)  (Read 78925 times)

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Women's World Cup 2019 (*)
« Reply #1000 on: June 25, 2019, 10:25:41 pm »
I firmly believe anything good that comes from this tournament is in spite of FIFA, each countries respective FA and the coaches involved with just the woman on the field doing the game any justice.  They should really setup a separate structure for them and until they do there will always be some bullshit that they are dealing with.  This time it's new rules + VAR, 4 years ago it was turf fields that even mens youth sides wouldn't be expected to play on, 4 years from now I'm sure it will be something else.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1001 on: June 25, 2019, 10:30:35 pm »
I firmly believe anything good that comes from this tournament is in spite of FIFA, each countries respective FA and the coaches involved with just the woman on the field doing the game any justice.  They should really setup a separate structure for them and until they do there will always be some bullshit that they are dealing with.  This time it's new rules + VAR, 4 years ago it was turf fields that even mens youth sides wouldn't be expected to play on, 4 years from now I'm sure it will be something else.

Women’s World Cup has been massive stadium televised event for 20 years now?

I remember watching the all conquering Germans win it in USA 2003 on bbc
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1002 on: June 25, 2019, 10:35:54 pm »
never a pen for the dutch, arms by her side all the way.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: June 25, 2019, 10:37:23 pm »
Women’s World Cup has been massive stadium televised event for 20 years now?

I remember watching the all conquering Germans win it in USA 2003 on bbc

So you're saying everything is fine in the women's game and they should let organizations that seemingly only care about the mens team stay in charge?

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1004 on: June 26, 2019, 08:37:03 am »
Only just realised how bloody close we came to having an all-European last eight  :o

So now seems like an apt time to remind everyone that this tournament serves as UEFA's qualifying process for the Olympics. Three spots up for grabs. Best three placed finishers take them (England included this time).

The below KO times are local.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1005 on: June 26, 2019, 11:10:08 am »
So you're saying everything is fine in the women's game and they should let organizations that seemingly only care about the mens team stay in charge?
Doesn't look like that. Stop putting words into people's mouths please. That's why you got the watched tag. Less antagonism, more reasoning required.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1006 on: June 26, 2019, 11:17:57 am »
Only just realised how bloody close we came to having an all-European last eight  :o

As I said earlier in the thread, when they (BBC) keep trying to insist the game is growing they're being disingenuous in my opinion. What they really mean is the game is growing in countries where it was already in a position of strength relative to the rest of the world. Seems to be a case of 'any growth is good growth' but I don't think anybody can say the gap between the good teams and less good teams has diminished in the last decade. If anything I can see the likes of France and USA consolidating their superiority over the next couple of World Cup cycles as the nations that were on the precipice of challenging lose hugely influential players (Canada- Sinclair, Brazil- Marta/Formiga) and don't seem to have much coming through.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:19:48 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: June 26, 2019, 12:49:53 pm »
As I said earlier in the thread, when they (BBC) keep trying to insist the game is growing they're being disingenuous in my opinion. What they really mean is the game is growing in countries where it was already in a position of strength relative to the rest of the world. Seems to be a case of 'any growth is good growth' but I don't think anybody can say the gap between the good teams and less good teams has diminished in the last decade. If anything I can see the likes of France and USA consolidating their superiority over the next couple of World Cup cycles as the nations that were on the precipice of challenging lose hugely influential players (Canada- Sinclair, Brazil- Marta/Formiga) and don't seem to have much coming through.

The better the women's game > the more money gets into it > the more coaching improves > the more good coaches find work > the more other teams will improve.

It's going to be unbalanced for a few years IMO it'll eventually settle roughly where the men's game is in terms of good/mediocre/bad teams.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1008 on: June 26, 2019, 01:11:38 pm »

Having been involved in the women's game for over a decade, I can say that in my opinion it most certainly has. The strong nations are still the strong nations, but the Euros are definitely a step up from where they were 10 years ago - the Netherlands, Spain and England are way more advanced than they were in 2009. More pro leagues are being backed, to the extent that even an old stalwart like the Belles can no longer compete against the money being put into the other clubs. South American women's football is improving and Brazil are no longer reliant on just Marta, and the game is growing in the African countries. France themselves have improved immensely, from failing to qualify in 2007 to being one of the favourites to win it all in 2019. It's been great to see. There are more opportunities to play professionally for women than ever, and long may it continue - with more professionalism will come better players for all nations, which will raise the level of the WWC in the next two tournaments.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:14:51 pm by PhaseOfPlay »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1009 on: June 26, 2019, 01:13:53 pm »
Yup - having been involved a lot in the women's game 10-15 years ago, I agree with PoP. Some nations in this WC have pleasantly surprised - and it struck me that nations like Sweden or Norway haven't gone off the boil as much as other teams have learned how to close the gap, like England and France. This WC has been by far the best women's tournament I've watched. It can only get better (as long as the game is taken seriously by people with the spondoolies).

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1010 on: June 26, 2019, 01:17:59 pm »
Well i'm still in mourning for my poor Canadian team, so many good players but we just lacked scoring. Oh well.

Personally i found the round robin kind of uneven but the round of 16 was hugely entertaining imo, VAR aside. Some great games.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: June 26, 2019, 03:11:37 pm »
Sounds like both of England's centre backs could be missing tomorrow.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: June 26, 2019, 04:43:33 pm »
There was also another injury confirmed today.

Bibiana Steinhaus.

May as well cancel the rest of the tournament now.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: June 26, 2019, 04:47:43 pm »
Some officiating stats. Mostly VAR related.

Only 1 caution for simulation. 0 for dissent.

On VAR, 441 incidents have been checked during the 44 games with 29 official VAR reviews. Of the 29, 25 have been changed and only 4 confirmed on the original decision.

Without VAR, 92% of decisions would have been correct. With VAR, it's up to 98%.

12 of the 23 penalties so far awarded without VAR. 3 penalties cancelled after VAR advice.

On average there has been 10 checks a match and 0.66 official reviews per match.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: June 26, 2019, 05:00:11 pm »
There was also another injury confirmed today.

Bibiana Steinhaus.

May as well cancel the rest of the tournament now.
Injured?! Thought she was built like a brick shithouse! ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:00 pm »
Anything on how much time added per game on average due to VAR? You said the other day that "7 is the new 3"...........which, as usual with your more ascorbic observations, cracked me up something silly :lmao

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: June 26, 2019, 05:12:44 pm »
In rugby, the clock is stopped when they go to the video ref. It's hardly rocket science.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: June 26, 2019, 05:12:59 pm »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1018 on: June 26, 2019, 05:21:14 pm »
Injured?! Thought she was built like a brick shithouse! ;)
Happened during a match. She has only done one. I had wondered why not more and I guess this is why.

Real shame. Not just because she is awesome but because she is only referee to have actually had decent experience of using VAR prior this tournament.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: June 26, 2019, 05:25:31 pm »
Yup, she's awesome - and experienced. Who was the ref in the England/Cameroon match? She wasn't quite as awesome....

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: June 26, 2019, 05:50:37 pm »

Only 1 caution for simulation. 0 for dissent.

On VAR, 441 incidents have been checked during the 44 games with 29 official VAR reviews. Of the 29, 25 have been changed and only 4 confirmed on the original decision.

Without VAR, 92% of decisions would have been correct. With VAR, it's up to 98%.

12 of the 23 penalties so far awarded without VAR. 3 penalties cancelled after VAR advice.

On average there has been 10 checks a match and 0.66 official reviews per match.

Those stats are utterly useless in that form, especially if being used to puff VAR.

Unless somebody can provide a stat, for example, for 'Lineswoman thought it was offside, but didn't flag per VAR guidelines' the idea  that the VAR ruling out something that would normally have been flagged is just text book false positives.

The refs body did this during the Mens world cup - it's definitely cynical, but it's hard to tell if it's only that they're as statistically illiterate as they seem (chances are that they are) or just protecting their project/jobs.

EDIT: ah cheers Kellan - it was briefed to the media. Amazing how unthinkingly people take those as worthwhile, let alone positive, stats
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:53:37 pm by Classycara »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: June 26, 2019, 05:52:27 pm »
In rugby, the clock is stopped when they go to the video ref. It's hardly rocket science.

Or football

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1022 on: June 26, 2019, 06:14:24 pm »
Anyone know who the female announcer who did the Netherlands-Japan game is?  Shes done a couple of other games as well, I think shes excellent. Just has that knack for summing things up quickly and accurately when the actions frantic. She can do Prem games next year, for me.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: June 26, 2019, 06:19:54 pm »
Anyone know who the female announcer who did the Netherlands-Japan game is?  Shes done a couple of other games as well, I think shes excellent. Just has that knack for summing things up quickly and accurately when the actions frantic. She can do Prem games next year, for me.
It was Sue Smith.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1024 on: June 26, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »

There's also a pause in play every time there's a tackle. This isn't rugby.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: June 26, 2019, 06:30:29 pm »
Probably one for the ‘claim to fame’ thread but Sue Smith came to my secondary school to do a speech ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: June 26, 2019, 06:47:09 pm »
Rapinoe? Rapino? Trump trumped.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48775195

"I'm not going to the fucking White House!"

:wellin :lmao

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1027 on: June 27, 2019, 12:14:23 am »
Probably one for the ‘claim to fame’ thread but Sue Smith came to my secondary school to do a speech ;D

She didn't bring co-commentator Jonathan Pearce with her, did she? ... no kid deserves that.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: June 27, 2019, 07:42:15 pm »
Almost time for the first quarter-final: England vs Norway

Biggest news before kick off is that both Houghton and Bright start at CB, despite Neville saying they were major doubts with an ankle issue and a virus respectively. It has also been confirmed Bronze has the same virus but she also starts. Three of the back four less than 100%? Bold selection.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: June 27, 2019, 07:53:49 pm »
Norway to win 3-0  :-X

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: June 27, 2019, 08:04:33 pm »
Norway to win 3-0  :-X

Fastest goal of the tournament so far says hello ;)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: June 27, 2019, 08:04:33 pm »
Dang.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: June 27, 2019, 08:09:22 pm »
That volunteer getting the Engerland band bellends to shut up... not all heroes wear capes

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1033 on: June 27, 2019, 08:10:46 pm »
That volunteer getting the Engerland band bellends to shut up... not all heroes wear capes
:lmao

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: June 27, 2019, 08:11:56 pm »
So this amendment to the goal kick not needing to leave the pen area before you can touch it - does it still prevent attackers from entering the area to intercept it?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1035 on: June 27, 2019, 08:17:32 pm »
So this amendment to the goal kick not needing to leave the pen area before you can touch it - does it still prevent attackers from entering the area to intercept it?

Ha that would be great if not. Can’t see it tho

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1036 on: June 27, 2019, 08:17:58 pm »
Jonathon Pearce has serious issues

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: June 27, 2019, 08:19:24 pm »
Jonathon Pearce has serious issues

Needs to be put out to pasture.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: June 27, 2019, 08:20:31 pm »
Fuck me

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: June 27, 2019, 08:21:22 pm »
Fuck me

Think you pressed the wrong tab mate ;D