Author Topic: Ian Ayre To step down in 2017  (Read 41097 times)

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Ian Ayre To step down in 2017
« on: March 14, 2016, 06:00:58 pm »
Came out of nowhere...

Liverpool Football Club today announced that Ian Ayre is to step down as chief executive officer at the end of May 2017, when his current contract expires.

Ayre joined the club in 2007 as commercial director and the club’s board of directors in 2009, before being promoted to managing director in 2011 and chief executive in 2013. He is also the vice-chair of the Liverpool FC Foundation, the club’s official charity. His tenure has been characterised by leading a radical modernisation across the club and bringing much-needed stability following the Fenway Sports Group takeover in October 2010.

Highlights of Ayre’s leadership so far include overseeing a complete transformation of the club’s financial, commercial and operational structure; playing a pivotal role in progressing the redevelopment of Anfield stadium and regeneration of the local area; and successfully restoring Liverpool’s reputation as one of the leading clubs in English football.

Commenting on Ian’s decision, principal owner John W. Henry, chairman Tom Werner and president Mike Gordon said: "Ian advised us of his intention to step down as CEO a few months ago. 

"We asked him on several occasions to take some time to reconsider his decision, but have been unable to convince him to remain as CEO beyond May 2017. We will at some point in the near future begin identifying and recruiting a worthy successor to continue to build on the outstanding foundations which have been laid by Ian.

"Under his leadership, we have seen Liverpool transform from a club that was on the brink of bankruptcy, to one which today enjoys strong financial and operational health.

"Stability is a commodity often under-valued in sporting organisations, but it has been a fundamental hallmark of Ian’s time in charge. Liverpool will reap the benefits of his outstanding work for many years to come.

"We have always found Ian to be dedicated, honest, passionate and committed to doing the right thing for the long-term interests of the football club. These fit with our own values as owners and we owe him greatly for the personal sacrifices he has made for the club.

"It is typical of the person he is, once again, Ian is putting the club ahead of his own interest in wanting to announce his decision 15 months before he steps down. This now provides us with plenty of time and space to find a suitable successor."

“There will continue to be important milestones for Liverpool over the next 15 months, not least the completion of the redevelopment at Anfield stadium, and we are grateful that Ian will continue his leadership through to May 2017."

Ian Ayre, chief executive officer, added: "If becoming chief executive of Liverpool Football Club was the greatest honour of my professional life, then deciding to step down at the end of my current contract is by far the most difficult.

"Having the privilege to lead this great club comes with huge responsibility and challenge but one which I have relished and I feel proud of my achievements in the role. I believe the end of next season is the right time to pass the CEO baton on to a new person, who will take on the challenges and opportunities with a fresh enthusiasm and vigour. They will do so supported by what I believe to be the best ownership group in world sport and by a truly excellent team of staff throughout the football club.

"Having been brought up in the shadow of Anfield, I have found it the most profound privilege to serve the club I have supported all my life. The driving principle behind every decision I have taken during my time here has been to do the best for the long-term stability and health of this great football club. In the remaining 15 months I have as CEO, I will continue to provide FSG, Jürgen, the players and all the brilliant staff at Liverpool ongoing strategic leadership and a smooth transition."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/211482-ian-ayre-to-step-down-as-ceo-in-may-2017

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ayre Leaving
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »
...at the end of his contract next year.  Breaking on SSN!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Ayre Leaving
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »
Not going to shed a tear over this ! Good Riddance
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:57 pm »
Does this mean we can get a proper professional to run the club for their 1.2 mill a year salary?

He should have been out the door years ago, or certainly well away from transfers and CEO positions. He's fucked up far too many times.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »
Ta-ra

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:07:52 pm »
One last summer to screw up negotiations then ;)

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:09:20 pm »
To be honest, I reckon the unnecessary stick he gets from the fanbase is the reason he's decided to jack it all in. I'd probably do the same.  Not worth the hassle with our fans these days.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ian Ayre To step down in 2017
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 06:10:22 pm »
Get the beers in! Hopefully we get somebody in who has his finger on the pulse of the fans and the city, and we stop lurching from one PR fuck up to another. The entire club seems leaderless on this side of the Atlantic.

Need somebody experienced to help bring the club forward
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »
Don't cAyre.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:11 pm »
holy shit!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:23 pm »
 :'(

We need  another Harley riding son of a bitch.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »
To be honest, I reckon the unnecessary stick he gets from the fanbase is the reason he's decided to jack it all in. I'd probably do the same.  Not worth the hassle with our fans these days.

Poor fella, he only gets paid £1.2 million a year to deal with a few mean words.

Meanwhile he bullshits to fans and comes out with statements like "be careful what you wish for" because people got angry at £77 tickets.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:00 pm »
Great stuff

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:37 pm »
Where do I drop in my application form? I'm willing to do the job for half the money.

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 06:13:11 pm »

Nah. I don't know about you, but I would reckon that most of us on here put up with far worse in our day to day and get paid a shadow of what he probably makes.
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 06:14:06 pm »
Hopefully we get Nicola Cortese replacing him.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 06:17:16 pm »
Get the beers in! Hopefully we get somebody in who has his finger on the pulse of the fans and the city, and we stop lurching from one PR fuck up to another. The entire club seems leaderless on this side of the Atlantic.

Need somebody experienced to help bring the club forward

Be careful what you wish for! Knowing FSG, it will probably be an American with a very strong commercial background and with short experience as a General Manager of an American sports franchise, who knows fuck all about football.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 06:17:33 pm »
The search for another 'world class CEO' starts again...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 06:18:14 pm »
Good riddance, for someone who is a born and bred liverpudlian he often came across as very out of touch.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 06:18:22 pm »
Hardly surprising to be fair - the stick he gets, with the new shift in our momentum... Well, he has done a good job insofar with the business side of things (seemingly), but has a good few blunders under his belt. I think the ticket price fiasco was the beginning of the end for him - the cancelling of the Twitter Q+A was telling I think.

Will be interesting to see who FSG bring in - but I have always been impressed with Nicola Cortese in his time at Southampton - his preparation and attention to detail is shockingly precise and I feel that we need a pragmatist who can compete on an international level. Hopefully we can find a Cortese-like CEO who can organise the club from the top-down.

Always good to see a local lad do well, but I do think it is half-a-season too late.

Good luck to him in the future. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:20:09 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 06:18:43 pm »
Obviously there have been well publicised failings in the transfer market. But away from transfers the owners had to step in re Suarez and then more recently the ticketing fiasco inc ayre's comments. Maybe the final straw for the owners.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 06:19:28 pm »
Be careful what you wish for! Knowing FSG, it will probably be an American with a very strong commercial background and with short experience as a General Manager of an American sports franchise, who knows fuck all about football.

so no change there then except for the nationality, might not leave early on Transfer deadline day though.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 06:19:43 pm »

I wouldn't exactly bracket the phrase 'knows about football' and Ian Ayre together.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 06:20:03 pm »
Excited....but scared of who FSG will hire.  Klopp being the manager will attract good people thankfully.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 06:21:55 pm »
Personally I think FSG know exactly who they want and I doubt it's someone with no experience in football

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 06:23:42 pm »
Obviously there have been well publicised failings in the transfer market. But away from transfers the owners had to step in re Suarez and then more recently the ticketing fiasco inc ayre's comments. Maybe the final straw for the owners.

He's not a leader. When the shit hit the fan FSG had to step in (usually from a problem partly of Ayre's own making) so I don't know what he was being paid for anyway as CEO for his 1.2mill if he was incapable of leading or crisis management but an uncanny knack of putting his foot in his mouth. You're paying Ayre 1.2 mill to deal with crisis management, not make it worse.

As commercial manager he did a decent job but for reasons only known to themselves FSG kept overpromoting him to jobs way beyond his capabilities. The worry now is they'll replace him with Gordon rather than get a serious operator in with football background.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:27:18 pm by Bitter Mug »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 06:24:36 pm »
Rather liked Ayre when he first came on board.  Seemed a down to Earth fella and the club mattered to him.  But over the past two or three years he seems to have morphed into the bastard love child of Purslow and Parry.  He's been possessed of a form of arrogance that he somehow knew what was best for the club whilst at the same time being dogged by incompetence in the transfer market.

Reckon it was the '77 protest that finally done for him.  He went completely over the top in some of his remarks towards the fan base on ticket prices. 

Whether he's come to realise that he's gone too far, or if he's been pushed, or if he just wants a new challenge, it's likely we wont ever know.  At least until he's looking for a mint on his autobiography.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

It gives FSG time to re-evaluate the structure, i think Ayre would love to go out on a high though

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:54 pm »
Not sure how relevant this guy is, but according to him it was Ayre's decision to run his contract out.

Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris
Breaking: Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre has decided to leave the job when his contract expires in May 2017.
@John_W_Henry wanted him to stay

Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris  23m23 minutes ago
Owners: Under Ayre, Liverpool transformed from "brink of bankruptcy to (a club) which today enjoys strong financial and operational health"

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 06:27:32 pm »
Lallana: "We will bounce back from Ayre disappointment"

Soon.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:19 pm »
Some highs, some lows, some....errrrm, fuck up's - but who can say they haven't experienced that in their working lives.

Good luck in the future, but don't hurry back. :wave
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:32 pm »
I was sure I read during the summer that he was going to work for either FSG or Warrior (or maybe Standard Chartered) in the US this summer?

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »
MAKE

US

DREAM
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 06:31:11 pm »
Surprised to hear.

I sort of assume Mike Gordon will take over as Chief Exec.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 06:31:44 pm »
Some highs, some lows, some....errrrm, fuck up's - but who can say they haven't experienced that in their working lives.

Good luck in the future, but don't hurry back. :wave

Exactly. It is what it is and we'll move ahead fine with someone new.

Just wondering who is next in line for the position of scapegoat though!?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »
Surprised to hear.

I sort of assume Mike Gordon will take over as Chief Exec.

I'd assume CEO is a Liverpool based job, and can't see him moving over.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »
Had no issues with him doing the commercial side of things. Should never have been involved in the football side.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 06:38:36 pm »
They are clearing out a spec on Southport Pier for his bike as we speak :P

He has been a PR nightmare from a fans perspective but from a commercial aspect he's brought in millions of pounds in revenue and sponsorship. Something that almost destroyed the club under Rick Parry (still shudder to think about how undervalued he made the club. £7 million shirt deal for Carlsberg to nearly £100 million from Standard Chartered  .....)

Gives the club ample time to restructure and/or bring someone in that come in and take over.

Its more of a alan partridge shrug gif than any other emotion
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:41:49 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 06:40:45 pm »
Had no issues with him doing the commercial side of things. Should never have been involved in the football side.

Nail Hammered

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:03 pm »
Nail Hammered

Who's he? Is he the replacement?