Author Topic: WERE YOU IN DORTMUND IN 2001?  (Read 12354 times)

Offline scouse-kenny

• Main Stander
  • Justice for the 96
Re: WERE YOU IN DORTMUND IN 2001?
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »
I was there, and a few years ago I posted my memories of that unbelievable night here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=67797.0

What a week that was, the Owen Cup Final, then Dortmund, and finally qualifying for the Big Cup again.
I remember the drive over, the 3-fingered treble salutes exchanged with the cars trailing red scarves.
I remember the downpour before the game, the great atmosphere and the friendly Alaves fans.
I remember a kid called Steven Gerrard grow up before our eyes.
I remember singing myself hoarse throughout the din of extra time.
I remember Gary Mac.
I also remember the dark days of the 1990s.
That night, I remember falling in love with football again.

beautiful stuff
The Albert is always full of Whoppers

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 10:47:22 pm »
Mad day that.

Mad day.. mad week.. mad year but bloody good!

Offline DRice

• and DPeas
  • Anny Roader
  • Free to fly the Crimson Sky
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 11:33:04 pm »
I was there, and a few years ago I posted my memories of that unbelievable night here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=67797.0

What a week that was, the Owen Cup Final, then Dortmund, and finally qualifying for the Big Cup again.
I remember the drive over, the 3-fingered treble salutes exchanged with the cars trailing red scarves.
I remember the downpour before the game, the great atmosphere and the friendly Alaves fans.
I remember a kid called Steven Gerrard grow up before our eyes.
I remember singing myself hoarse throughout the din of extra time.
I remember Gary Mac.
I also remember the dark days of the 1990s.
That night, I remember falling in love with football again.

check out the date of your original post ;) good timing
Diego Maradona: "The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. You knew they could defend but the team showed they could play too and wrote a page in the history books. The match will last forever. "

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
Jibbing off the LFC square to join the Alaves lads in their square. Piss poor Spanish mixed with their half decent English mixed up with wineskins. A 10ft wide paella dish with real snails in - they said they'd never seen an Englishman eat the snails before. Nicking a stein for my mate who couldn't afford to go.

All on the same train to the ground with the fans wishing each other luck (still got my Alaves scarf that I swapped). Smuggling the stein into the ground as a lad in front of me got the plastic top taken off his plastic bottle of water.

Looking round the stand at half time in extra time and realising that everyone there was more fucked than the lads on the pitch. Winning it and being too knackered to celebrate.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 1, 2009, 01:10:14 am »
Yes, I was there. It was a wonderful trip. Everything happened. The hotel that was in the wrong place (but same address), Alte Markt, the game, the Alaves fans, the 7 (!) goals scored right in front of me, the train journey to the hotel (located in the middle of nowhere), the 1 hour sleep before the bus journey home,... a fantastic trip! Simply fantastic. And I remember from the train journey... "9 goals in a European Final, you'll never see anything like it again".

We were wrong. 

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Duffyk07

• Kemlynite
« Reply #45 on: May 1, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
Brillaint day kipped overnight at stanstead on night before game - flew to amsterdam and then train to dortmund via cologne i remember the alaves tent and their great fans sharing everything including their wine - Dr Fun in the fountain- Cast and Pete Wylie on stage .

But Most of all i remember the train ride back to cologne at 330am when everyone was knackered and there wasnt a sound on the train- then the police panicking when the train arrives thinking were all going to kick off in Cologne when everyone just wants bed- anyone else remember this

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: May 1, 2009, 11:55:17 am »
Best Euro trip of the lot, I know people will go on about Istanbul but that week has to be one of the best of my life, Cardiff satdee, into Dortmund on the Tuesday albeit I stopped at a mates in Duisburg on the Tuesday and then down to Charlton on the Next Satdee- class week
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Offline Justin Siderbox

• Ben L. T. Given.
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #47 on: May 1, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »
Best Euro trip of the lot, I know people will go on about Istanbul but that week has to be one of the best of my life, Cardiff satdee, into Dortmund on the Tuesday albeit I stopped at a mates in Duisburg on the Tuesday and then down to Charlton on the Next Satdee- class week

Duisburg!!! What a great city that is...not!!!  We got off the train there from Schipol en route to the final to get some decent grub.  How wrong we were!!!!  Think someone must have told 'em we were coming as the entire city was shut!!!  There was some consolation though, we found a bar and got table served half of the afternoon by a german barmaid with the best pair of top bollocks we'd seen in ages!!! 

Let's just say that it was clear from here tight fitting T shirt that it was either very cold behind the bar...or she was very pleased to see us!!! ;D

Oh, aye...the game wasn't bad either!!!
"It's our job that they can forget their problems for 90 minutes and then they can talk about the game, about the next game and that's how I want to live"

Jurgen Klopp
9th October 2015

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: May 1, 2009, 02:10:01 pm »
Yes I was there. I agree with some others on here that it keeps getting overlooked but I put it up there with the Istanbul experience.

Dortmund itself, the locals, the Alaves fans, the policing, the stadium, the game, the result - it couldn't have been better (apart from maybe we could have done with the Istanbul type weather)

Funny, but I remember that me and my mate had no idea that Gary Mac had scored a 'golden goal' , took some time to dawn on us that we'd actually won.

Offline Jimmy Mullet

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: May 1, 2009, 07:20:20 pm »
But Most of all i remember the train ride back to cologne at 330am when everyone was knackered and there wasnt a sound on the train- then the police panicking when the train arrives thinking were all going to kick off in Cologne when everyone just wants bed- anyone else remember this

I was on that train back to Cologne aswell, the platform was full of Reds waiting for that train and everyone just piled on when it arrived. I was lucky enough to get a seat in the dining car - the train was packed - there was no chance of a ticket inspector getting through that train.

Had about 3 hours kip at the hostel in Cologne before taking the train back to Traben-Trabach for the flight back from Frankfurt Hahn.
bottom of the pile

Offline Jimmy Mullet

• Main Stander
« Reply #50 on: May 1, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »
Went the same route but on the day of the game although I came home through Belgium flying from Charleroi. Three of us got a taxi to Traben and then train through to Dortmund. I was the only one who had a ticket from the club that arrived while I was on route to the FA Cup final. Hell of a week that was..

It was a bit quieter for the CL game but we had a great time in Limericks before the game where the JAR song got a good airing as it was just after the derby goal; our lad's first euro away aswell.

I'm pretty sure I was the only red staying in the sleepy town of Traben-Trabach on the night before the game, from the flight I was on everyone headed away from Frankfurt Hahn in hired cars or buses to Frankfurt.

Borussia Dortmund away in September - first time I'd ever heard the JAR song - most memorable part of that trip.
bottom of the pile

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #51 on: May 1, 2009, 10:52:13 pm »
Brillaint day kipped overnight at stanstead on night before game - flew to amsterdam and then train to dortmund via cologne i remember the alaves tent and their great fans sharing everything including their wine - Dr Fun in the fountain- Cast and Pete Wylie on stage .

Remember it well mate I thought some scally had robbed someone or summit!! Hid in the corner me like a wuss and I was half asleep!!!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #52 on: May 2, 2009, 11:46:43 am »

Was it Cast that got on stage too? I was pretty pissed because I'd been drinking since 7 in the morning at the airport.

Think it was just John and Peter.

We left from Priory Road at 7pm on the Tuesday night. Got to Dortmund about 10 in the morning. Does anybody remember the student birds hanging from the windows above the square?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 2, 2009, 11:53:57 am »
Just thought of a story from the German border. The coach driver sounded like that fella of Bullseye. Everyhting time he spoke a few of the lads shouted. Iiiin oooone. Had to be there I guess. Anyhow, he tells us that if ale is found on the coach then we'd get sent back. He also says that these German border police are strict as fuck and take no shit. As we get to the border he says " One last warning lads. Dont take the piss " That bizzie gets on and everybody stashes their ale. As he's walking down the coach you could here a pin drop. it was like being back in school when somebody has threw something at the teacher when his back was turned. Anyhow, as this bizzie is walking down the coach somebdy at the back shouts.

" Ver a your papers "

Fuckin class.  Everybody just bursts out laughing the bizzie saves face and jumps of.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #54 on: May 2, 2009, 12:33:29 pm »
Yes! Top day out. Was living in Amsterdam at the time. Just got up on the morning of the game and a mate of mine from Dublin said "lets go to Dortmund" so we hopped into his little punto and headed off. I remember queuing at an exchange kiosk just near the border to get some money, then queing at the ground in the pouring rain on the offchance of getting a ticket (which we did). Caught the tram into the centre and had a big party in a bar with Liverpool & Alaves fans all mixing taking it in turn to sing, and the entire bar staff didn't speak a word of English. Left my camera on a table in the main square by mistake, then went back to the ground. Remember the buzz because one of the souvenir stands had red & white checkered flags. Can only remember that it was a brilliant game that left me knackered, but what a day!

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #55 on: May 2, 2009, 07:47:46 pm »
Ahhh one of the best, I must have been one of the few people there who didn’t realise it was a golden-goal :-)

Food flying around the plane when the lads realised their pack lunch wouldn’t be allowed into the country.
Flew direct from Liverpool - met by LOTS of media attention as we strolled off the plane waving our flags.  We got the local train into town and that’s when the Beatles songs started, the locals loved it, they applauded as the songs finished and even joined in with a few.

It was like playing as the home team, our fans taking up the majority of the stadium, great fun practising my Spanish which at that time basically consisted of 'what’s the purpose of your visit' and other 'airport' like questions :)
Best of all was the players & management coming down to our kop end and joining in with YNWA

What a night :)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline alan dixon

• Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96 NEVER BUY THE S-N
« Reply #56 on: May 2, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »
sang on stage with cast and pete wylile a song me brother made up he lost his ticket i gave him mine and pretended he was my carer to get in .then in the ground proceced to get chocked out bt a lad behind me when we were in golden goal haha , then on the lap of honour i sat on the fence to get a beta view ? slipped a spike went into me arse i proceded to ride the fence towards the pitch ,fell off the end and hung upside down in barbed wre ripping me leg open in 5 places lol , an dhad a 2 day journey to get home and looked loike and advert fot just say no ! anyone beat that ,if you want to speak to me admin 07738455541 adicko96@goolemail.com
WERE NOT ENGLISH WE ARE SCOUSE

Offline alan dixon

• Main Stander
« Reply #57 on: May 2, 2009, 08:39:05 pm »
paul defo phone me or i'll be in hjc shop tomorrow mate number in last post i'll have you pissing urself with the full story mate

Offline alan dixon

• Main Stander
« Reply #58 on: May 2, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »
kesey send an email for me to admin kidda me comps playing games and doing me head in

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
Happy Dortmund day.
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2017, 07:56:32 pm »
16 years ago the Westfallenstadion was bouncing  :wave
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Happy Dortmund day.
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »
Hands down, the greatest game I've ever listened to commentary down the phone from my mum on.

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:21 pm »
Sitting pretty after Mccalisters penalty thinking we were fairly safe.

Boy was i wrong  ;D

What an incredible game and ending. Apparently some of the players didn't even know the game was over after the Golden Goal.

Can't believe it's 16 years today!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:20:22 pm by Andy Hunter »
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2017, 10:23:21 pm »
Excellent night. Complete with a hotel mess up, Erik Meijer drinking beer in Alte Markt, the usual match programme farce from UEFA, next to no sleep and a train ride over 40 km that took 1 hour travelling att 100 km/h. And the game was quite enjoyable too. Remember one thing from the train ride in particular: "you'll never see a European Final like that again". Never say never...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2017, 10:27:52 pm »
16 years. Time flies but the memories are still there. Good times!

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »
I watched the game in the house with my son and when we got the winner we were jumping about ha ha  :)
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2017, 11:02:20 pm »
Happy days!  :scarf

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2017, 11:17:06 pm »
Virginia Beach no bastard had it on anywhere. Was having to ring home to found out the score.  Then got pissed and fell asleep before the Golden Goal
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:43 pm »
I was there. Was a long journey via bus and boat, but what an experience. Aside from the game itself, my 2 main highlights were:
1. Eirk Meijer outside the ground, full Liverpool kit on, downing pints and singing his big old heart out
2. On the way home in the boat, we got warnings about "no football tops". I never seen as many zipped up hoodies in my life I swear. Soon as the boat left and we hit the bar, some fella stood up and shouted "they can't fuck us out now" , took off the zip up and started a chorus of You'll Never Walk Alone to which about 90% of the boat followed suit.

We don't do final games by halves do we. Expect Boro to go 2-0 up on Sunday and us to win 3-2 :-)

Offline reddav72

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07:24 am »
wow 16 yrs!!
remember it lashing down and all in a pub trying to dry off, it was like a steam room. great days great game. ha
great memories.
ynwa
part of the noise!!
i was once told 'why dont you go out and meet somebody' i said 'i dont want to meet somebody. I want to meet everybody'!!

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2017, 12:32:06 pm »
 Yes- and I often get asked (when people find out I support The Reds) was you In Istanbul and how amazing it must have been? In response to that question I always remind them of 2001 as a lot of people don't even remember or consider this game in footballing history.
But before the game was Brilliant...The cast (if i remember correctly? lots of beer  ;))  on stage, also the fuckin great Carragher flag (which I think got lost or stolen?) That song Carragher song has been sang many times over the years, but in Dortmand it always sticks out in my mind.
I also remember going into the ground and seeing my mate just sitting in a seat in the middle of the stand fast asleep before KO (poor fuckers not with us now :-[).
O, what great times and memories I have of following the reds over Europe.....Please Please please don't let me down on Sunday (slightly off topic comment I know).

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2017, 01:16:01 pm »
NO I WASN'T MATE, WISH I WAS THOUGH.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline zakka

• Main Stander
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2017, 01:38:53 pm »
I was there with me dad! I was 11.  I can remember we got lost on the way, so my dad told me to hang half the scalf out of the window because someone might tell us where to go... 10 minutes later some angry German bloke was screaming at us from his car pointing at us to go in the other direction.

We where in the Neutral side of the ground so we where sat next to 2 Spanish lads on one side and 2 reds on the other. Just before Gary mac took that free kick one of the Liverpool fans asked my dad for a ciggy .... He lit it and we scored, after we finished celebrating he puts the fag out and shouts at my dad "fucking lucky fag that lad.... I'm keeping that!"

It was an epic night and a great drive back (Dad was in the army and we where living in Germany at the time). Ill always remember that!

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #72 on: June 7, 2017, 11:52:04 am »
There as 20 year old, big load of us stayed in  Amsterdam and we drove up to Dortmund on the morning of the final. I remember our players coach coming into the stadium and the driver having a nightmare trying to drive it in the surroundings of the stadium with fans everywhere.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #73 on: June 7, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »
I was there and it was my first european away match. Drove my crappy car straight from work in town through the night with my mate. Recall stopping in I think Belgium at a service station and asking which country I was in and being taken aback by the fact that they sold ale in a petrol station.

I had to pick up my then boss (someone who is actually well known to you all via SOS) from the airport. I can remember trying to find the bloody airport during rush hour in a crap car on the autobahn. Fun times ! After the game we eventually got a taxi and I remember being terrified that this merc was doing 150 mph down the autobahn. Stayed that night in the bosses hotel room on the floor and he was booked into a 5* place. Spent the late night in a club talking to a german bloke who ended up getting us tickets to the Germany v England game when basically liverpool battered Germany. Lots more memories of that night and the atmosphere was among the best I have ever experienced.

Happy times indeed.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: June 7, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
John Power on stage and Dr Fun too
Sorry I'm a bit out of touch with things around here.

Is Dr Fun still with us?

I haven't seen him for years.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 7, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
Sorry I'm a bit out of touch with things around here.

Is Dr Fun still with us?

I haven't seen him for years.

He died several years ago mate.

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: June 7, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »
He died several years ago mate.
Oops

I thought he must have.

I wasn't aware of it at the time though. thanks for the info.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 7, 2017, 12:59:09 pm »
Yes.

Our kid gets on the stage in the square and grabs the mic and starts singing our ' there's a man from france who makes us dance ' Gerrard Houllier song . We lost our tickets so had to jib in .l

Mad three days that,

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #78 on: June 7, 2017, 02:11:14 pm »
Yes.

Our kid gets on the stage in the square and grabs the mic and starts singing our ' there's a man from france who makes us dance ' Gerrard Houllier song .
I remember that haha!

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #79 on: June 7, 2017, 02:11:36 pm »
wow 16 yrs!!
remember it lashing down and all in a pub trying to dry off, it was like a steam room. great days great game. ha
great memories.
ynwa

Remember when that shower eventually turned the square into a river and everyone piled into the clothes shop (might of been H&M) next to the square and just got changed into brand new dry clobber straight off the hanger and then got off  :wellin

Loads of piles of wet clothes all round the place and the security fellas going mad trying to keep the doors shut.

"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96