Author Topic: Play Football  (Read 44624 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Play Football
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »
We're all presumably football fans on here (with the exception of one poster who memorably said that she wasn't a Liverpool fan, or even a football fan, just a Xabi Alonso fan) but how many play?

This isn't a "how much do you play/how good are you" type thread. Rather, as a person of advancing years, I found myself grinning from ear to ear quite a few times in recent weeks after playing football. I had a break from it for a while due to some knee issues and when you're not playing, you forget how enjoyable it is. Not just for the fitness element, or the banter, but the sheer joy of controlling the ball and passing it, or the marvellous thwack sound the ball makes when you get a decent block on someone's shot. The happiness of movement, of being on the same wavelength as a teammate, or even the simple pleasure of knocking a ball around on the road with your kid ("control, pass, control, pass"). Even the jeers when you attempt a backflick which is easily picked off by the other side and they go up and score, it's all part of the fun. There really are few things to beat it.

Most of all, when you're playing, you forget the mortgage and the job (or lack thereof) and all the other problems of life. For an hour or so, it's just you and a bunch of other people watching and running and anticipating, shots and tackles and passes. It's a great thing for emptying the head.

So, today's message is, no matter how depressing club matters are at the moment, if you're able, you can always just go play football. Sometimes, when you've had a crap day and you're tired and cranky, you mightn't feel like it but it's always worth it.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
Re: Play Football
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »
i reckon we should have a rawk tournement! be brilliant! 5 aside tournement! everyone sign up and just randomly pick the teams! but yeah just reading that op makes me want to play footy now!!

Offline Paris Saint-Germain

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »
Season break for me...

Playing in a private league in Budapest and I really can't wait for next season!!!

Haaa playing football, and above all, the beers afterwards with the teammates...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:20:01 pm by Paris Saint-Germain »

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »
Every Sunday with a group of friends (or if people are on holiday/hungover/whatever, we play with a group of Egyptians in a different park - bit more competitive though). Used to think I'd make the Liverpool team, then the other day my Dad told me he knew I'd never make it.  :'(  ;D

I agree, it's a special feeling, playing football. You forget about everything in the world other than this game - it gives you the chance to dream, or rather, to live (sort of) that dream of playing for Liverpool.

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 03:44:58 pm »
So, today's message is, no matter how depressing club matters are at the moment, if you're able, you can always just go play football. Sometimes, when you've had a crap day and you're tired and cranky, you mightn't feel like it but it's always worth it.

Completely agree, always surprises me how serious i take every game, every pass i misplace, chance i miss, i'm always properly pissed off. Mad, it just doesn't matter, but its a great stress relief.

Plus nothing like nutmegging one of your mates.
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:48:12 pm »
Play five a side on a monday night with a mate from work and 8/10 other people I don't know except through playing footy with them. Unfortunately I can't play every week as I do shift work.

Such a good laugh though. I took footy for granted when I was at uni as I was training twice a week and playing at least one 90 minute match every week, actually got pretty sick of it. Haven't played that much since I left uni 2 years ago and really do miss it now. Playing five a side every now and again is as good as it gets for me nowadays. :(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:01:01 pm by fordy87 »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »
Completely agree, always surprises me how serious i take every game, every pass i misplace, chance i miss, i'm always properly pissed off. Mad, it just doesn't matter, but its a great stress relief.

And thats the reason I stopped playing not long after I left school. Used to play constantly, soon as I got in from school - change, get ball, off to Astro turf. Loved it. Football was the only part of PE I liked as well (stuff your gymnastics and cross country, id write myself a note for them and forge the mothers signature).

However, after we left school, all my mates started playing for local teams and didnt bother with just a random 5-a-side kick-about or game of 'wembley' or headers and volleys any more.

I didnt want to play seriously. Mainly due to the fact that I didnt think I was good enough and I do get annoyed when I misplace a pass, miss a tackle, etc etc.

So the long and short of it is, I havent played football in about 9 years now. Do miss it sometimes but Ive kind of replaced it with squash (which Im actually decent at) and the gym so in terms of fitness I dont need it.

Did attempt a 5-a-side while I was in Australia last year. Obviously been years since I last played, at which point I was about 16/17 and didnt need to warm up. Ever. Just run out and smash the ball at the goal. No worries.

So, first touch, rolled across the edge of the penalty area. I run up and swing at the ball. Ball Flies miles over the hockey style goal and my groin goes 'POP'. Thats it. Game over. Torn groin. Comeback over. Me limping for the next two weeks.

And so, my boots remain 'hung up'.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »
Went back to playing tonight after 18 months out. Wasn't injured or anything, just my regular five a side broke up and I was busy with coaching kids in gaelic football so I kinda fell away from it. Anyway, decent indoor game, mix of a few forty somethings like me, some younger blokes and then a few older teenagers, which is sort of unfair on a 43 year old who hasn't played in a while. Very laid back game, though, nobody shouting at each other, all good fun and suited me on my comeback. I expect my competitive streak will return soon enough and then they'll fuck me out.

Not looking forward to tomorrow's legs, though. Actually, at my age, it can be the day after that's worse for the old lactic acid. I feel fine now but I'm probably in shock.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2014, 12:01:48 am »
Used to play almost every day in summer with my mates when I was younger. Haven't played much since those days except a bit when I was at University and the occassional five a side-/football tennis-tournament. Have started playing again with some other mates in December and it is exactly as you're describing it in your first post in this thread. The only downside is that we're playing on Sunday morning which is awful. After the first time playing again, I almost couldn't get out of bed on Monday. That has gotten better though... ;)
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 12:03:34 am by stoa »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2014, 12:02:56 am »
None since I came back to Preston. Really need to find a place in Liverpool to live, so I can start playing again. Miss it so much!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2014, 12:36:39 am »
Football is a lot of fun, it was the most enjoyable thing we wanted to do before adolescence and that maintains through the years I think. Now I just play astro once or twice a week, I'm the full kit wanker with no skill.

By the way corkboy, I dont need to forget my life, its absolutely brilliant :P

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2014, 12:39:17 am »
By the way corkboy, I dont need to forget my life, its absolutely brilliant :P

Long may it last.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2014, 12:43:15 am »
First game after the break is next Sunday, missed the last two because of my stupid recurring knee injury. Can't wait to get playing again!

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2014, 12:51:55 am »
Been playing pretty much since I was 8, now I'm in my first year at uni and have decided to give American Football a go. I'm loving it, it's great fun but I'm really finding myself missing playing football, definitely plan to play again when (if) I graduate.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2014, 12:59:15 am »
Long may it last.
Only messing shep, I'm as miserable as everyone else.

Have to say though not a massive fan of playing football at the moment, my chest doesnt like sucking in all that cold air, Iv got a little tickle because of it which is annoying.

Here's a tip for any astro league players who mightn't be the most Spartan of the pack, go in goals first. The pace of the game will never be as frantic as it is in the opening ten minutes, by the time you come out everyone is a bit knackered waiting for their 2nd wind. This is my time to shine, full of beans I take over as the midfield general. This only last about five minutes before eventually through a mixture of both tiredness and lack of ability I drift to the wings, forgotten except for the odd cut-in shot, Benayoun style.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2014, 01:02:00 am »
I honestly don't know what I'd do without it. I don't know if that's a bad thing or good but other than watching the Reds it's the only other thing which completely takes my mind off everything else I've got going on. I love the challenges, getting stuck in, playing passes and keeping the ball, the team spirit, scoring the occasional goal. It's awesome.

I think part of the reason I treasure it so much is because I wasn't much good when I was younger but I kept on and on at it, had the desire to improve and now I'm a fairly handy player so it was a bit of a triumph for me.

I intend to play until I physically can't do it anymore. I can't get bored of footy, it's my life!
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline rappcats

• Kopite
  • *random formation graph*
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2014, 01:17:01 am »
Haven't played since Christmas, now have a flu so I missed this and next week of some proper footy, fuck that  :'(  :'(

playing yourself > watching Liverpool on tv for me, do you have the same? I mean if there's a super important (cups/united/everton) game I won't play, but otherwise playing youreself is better than a good liverpool game

Offline LFConor

• Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2014, 01:19:12 am »
Back playing 5 aside next week can't wait after a 3 month break  :D
"If the supporters like me, it's not half as much as I like them"
Kenny Dalglish - 6/2/2011

6 European Cups and 19 Leagues thats what we call history

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2014, 09:47:38 am »
Doing a Coaching course in College at the moment, Play for the college (Second Team) - Usually equates to about 3 sessions a week.

Play for a local side as well, training twice a week, matches on a Saturday

try do a bit of 5 a side sometimes as well

Its not a high level and im not very talented at all but it keeps me busy like, good buzz with the lads also

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2014, 09:51:33 am »
Stopped playing 5 a side when my daughter was born a couple of years ago and have barely kicked a ball in anger since. Was meant to play this week but the game was cancelled. Most frustrating, as has been said, you can't beat the simple pleasure gained from pulling off a lovely through ball, a rifled finish or a last ditch block!

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2014, 09:55:40 am »
Great opening post by corkboy.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2014, 10:06:22 am »
I seldom play these days.
Used to play five a side with some friends for years, but it fell apart and I never found another group to play with.
No special excuse really, just never found it important enough to seek out another scenario where I could have a weekly game or two. It was about hanging out with these people, football being the bonus and when it was gone I simply started spending more time doing other things, like skateboarding. Used to love playing defence like a madman - proper Mascherano pitbull style (no hard or cheap tackles though).

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2014, 10:16:24 am »
Play 5 a side every Monday with a group of friends and it gives me something to look forward to straight after the tedium of coming back to work after a weekend.

Being on the edge of your own box and then suddenly jinking past 2 players into space and opening the game up is one of the best feelings.  Oh, and I get super mad if the keeper throws a bouncing ball to me when he could've rolled it to feet.  So frustrating.

We had one guy who wasn't the greatest player and would panic if someone closed him down and just boot the ball in whichever direction he was facing.  He's put opposition players clean through, hit people straight in the face, and slammed the ball against the wall he was facing, only to have it come straight back with force and thump him in the ballsack.  Good ol' 5 a side.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 9, 2014, 10:22:17 am »
Used to be one hell of a player about 10 years ago, used to score pretty much every game. Had ridiculous pace and finishing was lethal. Nowadays I just play once a month when I'm called upon to fill in for someone. Wish I was more in shape, I often think if I stayed in shape and dedicated myself to football, I could be playing for a professional team today.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #24 on: January 9, 2014, 10:28:32 am »
I come not to play.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #25 on: January 9, 2014, 10:32:28 am »
As Corky alludes to, the competitive nature of games sometimes ruins the football.  I have the same good feeling when playing after a while out, because you're not so bothered by what happens in the game.

But give it a few weeks and it's nuts.  Shouting, screaming, ridiculous challenges.  That's even before a ball is kicked.  You need it to be competitive but sometimes it spills over into a game where 'you can't lose'.  Those type of games are generally shite and devoid of football.  I'm not saying we have to be all nicey but it's good to play a bit of football without getting sucked into the ego-driven competitiveness of young boys posing as men.  We are all guilty of it.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2014, 10:33:28 am »
I come not to play.
At your age I'm surprised you're cumin at all.

Booooom-tish

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2014, 10:44:03 am »
I don't really know many people into football (I'm in Australia), and certainly not enough people who are interested enough to play. I'm not good enough to sign up for uni teams or anything either. It's a shame because it's probably the thing I miss most from my childhood.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2014, 10:44:35 am »

But give it a few weeks and it's nuts.  Shouting, screaming, ridiculous challenges.  That's even before a ball is kicked.  You need it to be competitive but sometimes it spills over into a game where 'you can't lose'.  Those type of games are generally shite and devoid of football.  I'm not saying we have to be all nicey but it's good to play a bit of football without getting sucked into the ego-driven competitiveness of young boys posing as men.  We are all guilty of it.

Morning Jose.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2014, 10:51:04 am »
Got playing regularly every Tuesday with around 10-12 people and I love it.  Always good natured and a good group of lads, much unlike my last team who were just nasty and played the ball over the top to the big man.  Team I'm with now play it on the ground and it's mostly good.

Played a 'training match' the other week so everyone could get a run out over the Christmas break and it was a matter of time before the striker starts leathering you for not passing to him (so he can miss all over again).  Had to remind him it was just a training match, moments before he did the exact thing he was shouting at me for.  Gotta love sunday league strikers.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #30 on: January 9, 2014, 11:01:05 am »
As Corky alludes to, the competitive nature of games sometimes ruins the football.  I have the same good feeling when playing after a while out, because you're not so bothered by what happens in the game.

What I like about the group I'm currently playing in is that they are not really competitive and there aren't really any top players in it. In fact, I dare say I'm one of the better ones in terms of passing-accuracy, shooting or reading the game. Not saying I'm a good footballer (and I'm certainly not the fittest) just that most of the people are about my level or slightly below it. What that means is that with certain guys I can pull of great moves (like scoring a goal after a rather difficult one-two) and on the other hand, I don't really have to worry about making mistakes as others are making even bigger mistakes... ;)

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: January 9, 2014, 11:02:07 am »
I play every week on Saturdays and Sundays. Love it.

Things that irritate me though is when a player on you're team isn't working hard enough, like for example in one of my teams one of our players is a bit scared to tackle players (he's a defender) I've tried talking to him saying, just get you're body in the way at least, it's not going to hurt, but he doesn't listen and stands about 2 yards away from the player he's marking.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2014, 11:05:06 am by andymanlfc »
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2014, 11:03:50 am »
Used to play every Saturday and 5 aside until I ruptured my ACL, hoping to be able to at least get back to doing 5 aside but got a lot of rehab to do first

Offline TomMorganLittle

• Kopite
  • -P-U-N-X-
« Reply #33 on: January 9, 2014, 11:09:08 am »
We have phases of playing every Sunday but it's such a hassle organising it, people dropping out, can't play forget to pay etc it seems to fade out after a couple of months, the cycle continues. Starting again on Sunday. Luckily i cycle a lot so I shouldn't be in too bad shape.
-P-U-N-X-

Bastion of Invincibility

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #34 on: January 9, 2014, 11:10:43 am »
I don't really know many people into football (I'm in Australia), and certainly not enough people who are interested enough to play. I'm not good enough to sign up for uni teams or anything either. It's a shame because it's probably the thing I miss most from my childhood.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
« Reply #35 on: January 9, 2014, 11:13:44 am »
Used to play regularly until last December when I tore my ACL and am now still having trouble when having to do abrupt movements like turns and twists etc so I am out of playing footie especially since I am facing a second surgery after last year's  :'(

I am coaching my school's girl team though  ;D

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 12:42:13 am »
Not looking forward to tomorrow's legs, though. Actually, at my age, it can be the day after that's worse for the old lactic acid.

And so it was. Someone in work said I was walking like I shat myself.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 04:22:49 am »
I've been on a coaching course and played about 20 hours since Tuesday. Tired is not the word.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »
Just played my first 5 a side game in two years. Tough game against league leaders who had two subs against our 5. Brutal! Can't beat the feeling of scoring a nice goal though!

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:27 pm »
I'm playing tonight, its cold and lashing out. Still looking forward to it.