Author Topic: Nike in transgender row  (Read 4682 times)

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Nike in transgender row
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2023, 11:22:36 pm »
Without clicking, I’m guessing that’s been served up with a right-wing, one-sided agenda by outkick.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2023, 11:39:06 pm »
Without clicking, I’m guessing that’s been served up with a right-wing, one-sided agenda by outkick.

Slightly... but it shows Nike are sticking to their guns.

Of course, other news sources are available. :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2023, 11:46:35 pm »
Nike and Bud Light March Madness sponsorships for someone who isn't an athlete or even remotely sports-related? The real hero here is Dylan Mulvaney's agent.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2023, 12:54:54 am »
Well done Nike, anything that pisses of Sharon Davies and Julia Hartley Brewer  :wave
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2023, 02:21:39 am »
I long for the days where shite like that wasn't news and it was just people being upset and moaning to their family or friends. I don't really give a flying fuck about who Nike uses for their ads unless they're some c*nt who has murdered someone or peddles awful hateful stuff. And I even care less what some c*nt on Twitter thinks about that person appearing in an ad.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 8, 2023, 04:16:30 am »
I'm shocked Nike would stoop to using a person to sell clothes to other people.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 8, 2023, 08:46:38 am »
Nike and Bud Light March Madness sponsorships for someone who isn't an athlete or even remotely sports-related? The real hero here is Dylan Mulvaney's agent.

Kanye and run DMC with adidas? Kevin Hart, Kendrick and Drake with Nike? Kylie Jenner and Rihanna with Puma? It’s nothing new or strange for sportswear companies to sponsor non-sports persons. Their whole consumer base are mostly far from sporty, I imagine.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 8, 2023, 08:53:35 am »
Slightly... but it shows Nike are sticking to their guns.

Of course, other news sources are available. :)

Yes, there are. The first three google threw me were the daily Mail, telegraph and daily mail (again). This is right-wing, pot-stirring bullshit.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 8, 2023, 08:55:31 am »
Not sure what the fuss is about. Nike have hundreds of models, male, female, big, small… why not have a transgender model as well?

People these days are so easily upset. If they want to boycott Nike - there are dozens of better reasons for it.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #10 on: April 8, 2023, 08:58:44 am »
googled it

Caitlyn Jenner slams woke Nike

That's enough internet for me today.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #11 on: April 8, 2023, 10:20:16 am »
i reckon we get this trans v real women thing sorted

so we line up these trans people and bind their hands and feet and throw them in a lake

if they float then they pass as a real woman but if they drown then, just as we expected, they are bad people

or we could burn them at the stake and if god puts out their flames then they're good people
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 8, 2023, 10:34:18 am »
Not sure what the fuss is about. Nike have hundreds of models, male, female, big, small… why not have a transgender model as well?

People these days are so easily upset. If they want to boycott Nike - there are dozens of better reasons for it.

This is where I’m at with it.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 8, 2023, 11:11:00 am »
Something something snowflakes something something.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 8, 2023, 11:18:54 am »
https://www.outkick.com/nike-dylan-mulvaney-backlash-response-instagram-comment/
I can't believe people get paid to write things like this but it neatly encapsulates where we're at right now - it fails to address the transphobia DM is being subjected to, and doesn't bother to look at why many women are frustrated. Which again has nothing to do with DM but with the way Nike and other sponsors treat female athletes. So here we are - people shouting on all sides and reducing those they disagree with to caricatures of villainy. It's so tedious.
Something something snowflakes something something.
:D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 8, 2023, 11:28:00 am »
I can't believe people get paid to write things like this but it neatly encapsulates where we're at right now - it fails to address the transphobia DM is being subjected to, and doesn't bother to look at why many women are frustrated. Which again has nothing to do with DM but with the way Nike and other sponsors treat female athletes. So here we are - people shouting on all sides and reducing those they disagree with to caricatures of villainy. It's so tedious.:D

How do Nike treat female athletes, whats that about?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 8, 2023, 11:28:24 am »
I can't believe people get paid to write things like this but it neatly encapsulates where we're at right now - it fails to address the transphobia DM is being subjected to, and doesn't bother to look at why many women are frustrated. Which again has nothing to do with DM but with the way Nike and other sponsors treat female athletes. So here we are - people shouting on all sides and reducing those they disagree with to caricatures of villainy. It's so tedious.:D

As a source, I’d put it alongside the DM in veracity. I wouldn’t give them a click to be honest.

What I find funny is that those on Twitter who say trans women are ‘men in makeup’ are upset that a trans woman is the face of a bud-light campaign because beer is a man’s thing…
« Last Edit: April 8, 2023, 11:30:23 am by thejbs »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 8, 2023, 12:03:57 pm »
The real scandal here is that anyone drinks bud light.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 8, 2023, 12:06:11 pm »
The real scandal here is that anyone drinks bud light.

Be kind, some of us have beer belly prevention methods.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19 on: April 8, 2023, 12:38:39 pm »
The advert has got the publicity it wanted then?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 8, 2023, 01:00:11 pm »
As a source, I’d put it alongside the DM in veracity. I wouldn’t give them a click to be honest.

What I find funny is that those on Twitter who say trans women are ‘men in makeup’ are upset that a trans woman is the face of a bud-light campaign because beer is a man’s thing…

That might be why I don't think I've ever come across it. The state of it.

How do Nike treat female athletes, whats that about?

A key issue has been around pregnancy - female athletes having their sponsorships reduced during and after pregnancy. Kara Goucher and Alysia Montaño both broke their non-disclosure to talk about it. It was only after a public outcry that Nike changed their policy. In the case of Goucher, Nike said they'd stop paying her until she started racing again so she was back running half-marathons three months after giving birth. And carried on even when her child was seriously ill. Liz McColgan-Nuttall was dropped by Nike when she got pregnant. Simone Biles and Colleen Quigley left Nike for sponsors that focus on women. More broadly female athletes only get a small fraction of sponsorships in the first place so there's a lot of frustration at play here.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 8, 2023, 04:22:41 pm »
That might be why I don't think I've ever come across it. The state of it.

A key issue has been around pregnancy - female athletes having their sponsorships reduced during and after pregnancy. Kara Goucher and Alysia Montaño both broke their non-disclosure to talk about it. It was only after a public outcry that Nike changed their policy. In the case of Goucher, Nike said they'd stop paying her until she started racing again so she was back running half-marathons three months after giving birth. And carried on even when her child was seriously ill. Liz McColgan-Nuttall was dropped by Nike when she got pregnant. Simone Biles and Colleen Quigley left Nike for sponsors that focus on women. More broadly female athletes only get a small fraction of sponsorships in the first place so there's a lot of frustration at play here.

Thanks for the info

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 8, 2023, 04:33:15 pm »
Because people are taken in by anti trans scaremongering.

Exibit A
That isn't an anti-trans post. Quite an unpleasant thing to label a fellow RAWK poster in bad faith.

They've literally just said that Dylan Mulvaney's agent has done a good job for them!
« Last Edit: April 8, 2023, 04:35:25 pm by classycarra »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 8, 2023, 04:39:05 pm »
That isn't an anti-trans post. Quite an unpleasant thing to label a fellow RAWK poster in bad faith.

They've literally just said that Dylan Mulvaney's agent has done a good job for them!

and called it madness that they got the Nike gig, whilst brining Bud light into the equation.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #24 on: April 8, 2023, 04:44:13 pm »
and called it madness that they got the Nike gig, whilst brining Bud light into the equation.

Brine won't help Bud light...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 8, 2023, 05:02:21 pm »
nope, they didn't

"March Madness" is the nickname of the US college basketball knockout tournament - see the way they capitalised it?

you made a mistake and were too quick to judge and label that poster, and should take it back

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 8, 2023, 05:12:00 pm »
Are trans people not allowed to wear Nike or sportswear now?
Surely Nike can choose whoever they want to model their stuff.

My issues with Nike would be their alleged use of child labour, exploitative business practices and overpriced tat, certainly not who models it.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 8, 2023, 05:25:26 pm »
nope, they didn't

"March Madness" is the nickname of the US college basketball knockout tournament - see the way they capitalised it?

you made a mistake and were too quick to judge and label that poster, and should take it back

Fair enough, it seems I've misinterpreted the madness reference. I take it back.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 8, 2023, 05:56:09 pm »
How is this a "row"? Making the far right upset is not a row.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 8, 2023, 07:13:29 pm »
Brine won't help Bud light...

Might actually give it some flavour tbf
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #30 on: April 8, 2023, 07:18:30 pm »
I love these right wing nut jobs who buy the bud light then shoot it with their rifles/shotguns/automatic weapons. That’ll own them Libs. Fucking morons.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #31 on: April 8, 2023, 07:37:48 pm »
I love these right wing nut jobs who buy the bud light then shoot it with their rifles/shotguns/automatic weapons. That’ll own them Libs. Fucking morons.

Are they shooting it with a brine gun?

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #32 on: April 8, 2023, 08:25:14 pm »
So the anti-cancel culture pro-free speech mob are trying to cancel the advert of a private company because they don’t like it?  :butt
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #33 on: April 8, 2023, 08:27:15 pm »
So the anti-cancel culture pro-free speech mob are trying to cancel the advert of a private company because they don’t like it?  :butt

Snowflakes.

Are they shooting it with a brine gun?

If it shoots brine bullets i'm sure they are

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 8, 2023, 08:27:22 pm »

Same as it ever was.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: April 9, 2023, 01:11:24 pm »
The advert has got the publicity it wanted then?

That's how I read it. For all the comments above, I think there may be a reasonable argument to suggest that this is simply Nike shamelessly going down the 'Benetton' route of yesteryear --- deliberately courting controversy to get free publicity.
In many respects Mulvaney has been used, given sales of trans merchandise is probably of no material significance to Nike.
Eventually, that tactic back-fired on Benetton. One mis-step is all it takes. Has Nike already been guilty of this?
Mulvaney and any trans persons are perfectly entitled to wear whatever sports gear they want and live a lifestyle free of discrimination, but so does everyone. There are grey areas and unresolved conflicts that need to be recognised and resolved. I'm as confused as the next person and wary of stepping into this toxic debate.
One thing that I do think is dreadful however is that Nike kit. The logo positioning, hypersexualised, and highlighting / mimicking a penis, I can imagine it does no favours to trans people wishing to access shared spaces. But then, I'm just trying to understand both sides . . . and still confused!
« Last Edit: April 9, 2023, 01:14:25 pm by HomesickRed »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 9, 2023, 01:28:00 pm »
Kanye and run DMC with adidas? Kevin Hart, Kendrick and Drake with Nike? Kylie Jenner and Rihanna with Puma? It’s nothing new or strange for sportswear companies to sponsor non-sports persons. Their whole consumer base are mostly far from sporty, I imagine.
Those people are A-list celebrities with huge mainstream appeal, some of whom were designing lines with those companies and some of whom were already wearing those clothes as part of their look. Dylan Mulvaney is a TikToker who was virtually unknown outside of her social media following and whose personal brand is generally 180-degrees from either sportswear or light beer. So yes, it is an achievement for her agent.

And yes, if it's real that Nike kit is quite dodge. Then again, maybe they had input from a trans designer, who knows?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 9, 2023, 01:50:03 pm »
Those people are A-list celebrities with huge mainstream appeal, some of whom were designing lines with those companies and some of whom were already wearing those clothes as part of their look. Dylan Mulvaney is a TikToker who was virtually unknown outside of her social media following and whose personal brand is generally 180-degrees from either sportswear or light beer. So yes, it is an achievement for her agent.

And yes, if it's real that Nike kit is quite dodge. Then again, maybe they had input from a trans designer, who knows?

The kit isn't real. It's 'humour'

Dylan Mulvaney has over 10m followers on tiktok. Most footballers, for example, have way less than that. 

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 9, 2023, 02:11:48 pm »

Spoken like somebody who doesn't understand targeted advertising.

And until Jenner goes full chop she should shut the fuck up,horrible right wing bastard.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 9, 2023, 08:16:02 pm »
Not sure what's to be "outraged" about here,shitbag multi-national co and pay attention to me model.Won't    somebody think of the children is the answer usually no?