Author Topic: Super Ultimate Last Ever * (Working Title) Movie Draft - Sign up and discussion  (Read 15570 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
For the wildcard, does it negate the whole director or genre restriction or is it just the decade?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Shush.

They are fantastic in every regard.

No I meant I wanted it myself :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
No I meant I wanted it myself :)

Oh right, fairy nuff then :P

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I love the Lord of the Rings movies, but not enough to even consider them in what is essentially a greatest movies ever poll.

I am sure some of my picks will be the same with others though. This is a bloody hard to judge draft.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
For the wildcard, does it negate the whole director or genre restriction or is it just the decade?
I assumed it was one of each.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Yeah that's the way I saw it - but I suppose you can use both wildcards at the same time for the same film if you wanted to

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine

I understood it as genre and decade is free for wildcard, but director and lead not. The former being selection criteria, and the latter being overall draft rules.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
I love the Lord of the Rings movies, but not enough to even consider them in what is essentially a greatest movies ever poll.

I am sure some of my picks will be the same with others though. This is a bloody hard to judge draft.

I fell asleep both times I tried to watch Lord of the Rings. Each to their own.  ;D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock

I did too - hopefully this is the case.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan

Remember you recommended me Esmé - for love and squalor a good while back? Not sure if I thanked you for it. It's the best short story I ever read. Last year I got my first dog. Her name is Esmé.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Remember you recommended me Esmé - for love and squalor a good while back? Not sure if I thanked you for it. It's the best short story I ever read. Last year I got my first dog. Her name is Esmé.

I'm glad, but not surprised, that you liked it. It really is the best. If you haven't yet, try to find an annotated copy of "Entropy" by Thomas Pynchon - that's maybe the second best. It's in his collection "Slow Learner," but you really want one that has all the notes.

Here endeth the lesson  :P

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Picked up my original first choices for the 80's and 2010's drafts and my second for the 2000's. That'll do.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Just to clear up, the wildcard is an unpicked film from any decade AND any genre. But the no repeat leads, no repeat directors still stands.

e.g. I have Blade Runner in sci-fi and the 80s, so for my wildcard I could pick another 80s sci-fi film if I wanted (or any other decade) but I couldn't pick Alien in the 70s because Ridley Scott directed it or any Indiana Jones films from the 80s (or again any decade) because Harrison Ford would be in both.

Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2023, 11:28:31 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just to clear up, the wildcard is an unpicked film from any decade AND any genre. But the no repeat leads, no repeat directors still stands.

e.g. I have Blade Runner in sci-fi and the 80s, so for my wildcard I could pick another 80s sci-fi film if I wanted (or any other decade) but I couldn't pick Alien in the 70s because Ridley Scott directed it or any Indiana Jones films from the 80s (or again any decade) because Harrison Ford would be in both.

Hope that makes sense.

It does, but it's not really the question I had, I don't think  ;D

I have "True Romance" for the 90s and Crime. If I wanted to pick another 90s film for my Drama, say, could I call that my "Drama Category, Wildcard Decade." I have "Aliens" for my 80s and Sci Fi. Let's say I wanted to pick another Sci Fi film for my 70s decade, say, could I call that my "Wildcard Category, 70s Decade" - you see what I mean? Can the wildcards cover two different films? (I don't even know if the math works out in that scenario.)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I have "True Romance" for the 90s and Crime. If I wanted to pick another 90s film for my Drama, say, could I call that my "Drama Category, Wildcard Decade." I have "Aliens" for my 80s and Sci Fi. Let's say I wanted to pick another Sci Fi film for my 70s decade, say, could I call that my "Wildcard Category, 70s Decade" - you see what I mean? Can the wildcards cover two different films? (I don't even know if the math works out in that scenario.)
Could be wrong here, but my reading is that the answer to the first question is no.

Wildcard is Category 9 (and this pick can be any decade), while Drama is Category 4.

For the second q, Hazell's post says:
So each drafter will pick movies from the following decades:
1x pre-50s, 1x 50s, 1x 60s, 1x 70s, 1x 80s, 1x 90s, 1x 00s, 1x 10-20s and one wildcard, which can be an extra one in any decade.
which I think means that our choices for Categories 1-8 must line up with those in bold above.

But obviously after all picks, there will be one decade with two films - and the decade with the duplicate has to be because of the wildcard pick

ie Category 9 picks are the only way to have a wildcard decade [obviously you can pick Wildcard cat before Drama cat - but if you have two films from the 1960s, one has to be the Wildcard]

Is that the right interpretation Hazell & Betty?
« Last Edit: March 9, 2023, 12:01:17 am by classycarra »

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Could be wrong here, but my reading is that the answer to the first question is no.

Wildcard is Category 9 (and this pick can be any decade), while Drama is Category 4.

For the second q, Hazell's post says: which I think means that our choices for Categories 1-8 must line up with those in bold above.

But obviously after all picks, there will be one decade with two films - and the decade with the duplicate has to be because of the wildcard pick

ie Category 9 picks are the only way to have a wildcard decade [obviously you can pick Wildcard cat before Drama cat - but if you have two films from the 1960s, one has to be the Wildcard]

Is that the right interpretation Hazell & Betty?

Yep, that's how I saw it when I set out the draft idea. I think the other way just makes things a bit too complicated and leads to more potential for fuck ups.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yep, that's how I saw it when I set out the draft idea. I think the other way just makes things a bit too complicated and leads to more potential for fuck ups.

I'm OK with however we do it, and I think I've figured it out now. You have to feel pity for those of us who simply cannot comprehend maths.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm OK with however we do it, and I think I've figured it out now. You have to feel pity for those of us who simply cannot comprehend maths.

After I read my post back, I realised that on my list of a handful of potential future picks I've managed to misinterpret my own interpretation! :butt ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

If everyone prefers it the other way then I don't us going with that. Honestly, it took me several read throughs to even follow what you were suggesting  :D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The way I understood it was a wildcard was any pick from any decade in any category as long as you hadn't picked it before in the other draft and it doesn't break the other rules of duplicate actor or director.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Finding draft loopholes is a RAWK specialty.  ;D

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If everyone prefers it the other way then I don't us going with that. Honestly, it took me several read throughs to even follow what you were suggesting  :D

I did a lot of editing and deleting and still didn't know what I was saying  ;D I just counted and there were nine categories and nine decades, and one of each was a Wildcard. The fucking nuns always told me that I had a bad attitude, but I was just confused.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
I did a lot of editing and deleting and still didn't know what I was saying  ;D I just counted and there were nine categories and nine decades, and one of each was a Wildcard. The fucking nuns always told me that I had a bad attitude, but I was just confused.
Do they have fucking nuns in Thailand, Mongsy? Truly a wild place it is.  ;D

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Do they have fucking nuns in Thailand, Mongsy? Truly a wild place it is.  ;D

;D Probably. Call them "Ping Pong Penguins." I'm going to Hell for saying that.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
;D Probably. Call them "Ping Pong Penguins." I'm going to Hell for saying that.
You’re going to heaven on my book. ;D

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Skip me tomorrow when it’s my turn lads. I’ll catch up later.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I fell asleep both times I tried to watch Lord of the Rings. Each to their own.  ;D

Cant believe the shit slinging has already began.. ;)

The lord of the rings trilogy is my most watched films, just like reading the books! They did well at the box office and at the Oscar’s.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

The lord of the rings trilogy is my most watched films, just like reading the books! They did well at the box office and at the Oscar’s.

The Lord of the Rings is the only time that I've sat through an absolutely packed film in a cinema with loads of kids and families and random peoples with my missus and no one said a word for the entire film - just absolute enthralled silence and then everyone got up at the end and clapped and cheered.

Never seen anything like it before or since. No one even went to the bog and people stopped stuffing their faces.

Marvellous film. I'd like to say 'I can see why people wouldn't like it' - but. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Alien Cowboy hat levels of nope.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Just seems to me that you shouldn't be able to pick the actual film that you picked before. Wouldn't it be better if the director, lead actor and other stuff reset for this?

Doesn't affect me because I only did one before, but seems massively unfair (And fairly stupid :) ) to limit everyone else. Isn't this just the 'best and most favourite' films that you love?

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Lord of the Rings is the only time that I've sat through an absolutely packed film in a cinema with loads of kids and families and random peoples with my missus and no one said a word for the entire film - just absolute enthralled silence and then everyone got up at the end and clapped and cheered.

Never seen anything like it before or since. No one even went to the bog and people stopped stuffing their faces.

Marvellous film. I'd like to say 'I can see why people wouldn't like it' - but. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Alien Cowboy hat levels of nope.

Totally agree, me and my dad went and I was spell bound. I think that's the beauty of films though, so much variety such different tastes these drafts have given me a list of at least 20 films I've not seen but will see this year. New films for the most part aren't a pinch on anything before 2010 imo.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Doesn't affect me because I only did one before, but seems massively unfair (And fairly stupid :) ) to limit everyone else. Isn't this just the 'best and most favourite' films that you love?
Just a small bit hyperbolic there mate ;)

I don't see it as a list of best films, personally - but I'm also just a newbie. I like seeing people curate their lists with interesting picks that show their tastes (and hopefully expose me to something new to try or a recommendation to get me to watch something long on a watchlist) - the internet is full of lists of best films!

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't see it as a list of best films, personally - but I'm also just a newbie. I like seeing people curate their lists with interesting picks that show their tastes (and hopefully expose me to something new to try or a recommendation to get me to watch something long on a watchlist) - the internet is full of lists of best films!

100% how does one define "best", most oscars, biggest cultural or technological impact, highest revenue?

I've gone for my favourite ones which have blown me away.. Watching Star Wars as a kid on Christmas day with my family will sit with me for all time.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
Agree with you both. I try to pick the best 9 films from my own taste. Films I love, and hopefully one or two of them can be a decent tip for someone else to watch. (It was easier in the pre-80's one that can tend to include more obscure picks though.)

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So, the wildcard, we can pick a movie previously selected on another draft?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

If we can then I’m changing my pick

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Not one you've previously picked in this series, no. Who started this rumour  :D

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not to pick the film even if you haven't picked it before. Got it.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Not to pick the film even if you haven't picked it before. Got it.

That's the next draft  ;D