Author Topic: Breck Road Community Library closing (LCC have now given it a one year reprieve!  (Read 1786 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
I was told today that Breck Road Community Library will be forced to close down soon. This is a great Library, my local Library run by the Community not the Council. The Council do help with funding but are withdrawing tbat funding to provide Allerton Road with further funds.

This Library is brilliant, run by lovely friendly, welcoming staff and it's always busy, they host kids play groups as well and I think they run free computer courses.

This area needs a local Library, I don't have a PC or wifi at home, so I come here nearly everyday. I have just completed writing a Ken Dodd tribute book and most of the work on that was done here on their Computers.

How the fuck the Council can justify pulling the funding from this Library to Allerton is beyond me.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 07:34:46 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Breck Road Community Library closing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 09:21:48 pm »
Still got two books in my mums form here when it was the Rawdon library 😀 around 1978 …what you reckon the fine will be .

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 09:22:54 pm »
Still got two books in my mums form here when it was the Rawdon library 😀 around 1978 …what you reckon the fine will be

Enough to keep the Library open!

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 09:24:29 pm »
Enough to keep the Library open!

I go the one at childwall now and then , that’s been combined with the medical centre a few years back in a more modern building  . Is it the old rawdon Library ?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 10:38:38 pm »
I used to work for Liverpool libraries and worked in all the south end ones at times. Can tell you that Allerton library has the most entitled punters by a mile. If they’re diverting funds there you can bet it’s the classic squeaky wheel gets the grease scenario. It’s a pretty well off area but it means the locals are switched on and will be making their case known.

Council getting the shaft from central government for years and years doesn’t help things, but it’s a real shame that it’s usually the worse off areas that get theirs shut down first. Used to love working in Edge Hill library when it was open (top of Lodge Lane) but the building was falling to bits. Toxteth surviving so far due to fairly recent lottery funding and the fact it has links to Chinese and Black communities which help its cause.

Libraries are as relevant as ever and serve as a third space allowing people to exist outside their homes without spending any money- there are hardly any of these places left, where you can just go and be without having to reach in your pocket.  the closing of them is so short sighted and hurts communities greatly. People use them to learn computer skills, apply for jobs when they don’t have internet at home, to feed their minds and those  of their children and it’s a shame to see how undervalued they’ve become.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 11:42:29 pm »
Windsor St library was my local one as a kid and the first I ever used.

I also was a member of libraries in top Crocky, the one on Leathers Lane, the one in Woolton Village and the main one in town at various points in my life.

Library’s give so much to a community, and they’re such a valuable local history resource, but so many people would rather read Facebook than a real book now. Fucking idiots. It’s made libraries such an easy fucking target now. They’ll all be gone soon.

If people spent more time reading proper books than social fucking media, then bellends wouldn’t be making a show of themselves outside asylum hotels like they did by ours last night.

My mrs showed me the local Facebook chat group about the suites hotel the other night. Fucking shameful. Racist knobheads.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:45:49 pm by Only Me »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 12:15:27 am »
The council has a statutory duty to retain a certain amount of libraries in the city. Library closures (across the country) have been a savings option discussion since George Gideon Oliver Osborne, son of Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon and Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock, educated at St. Paul's and Magdalen College, Oxford's evil austerity project. Liverpool has had to consider it every year for 14 years. Often savings aren't as big as expected because mothballing the building still has costs, you just save some staffing wages which isn't commensurate to running a full library.
However, after years of this Tory govt hard decisions have to be made. Everything has been considered and exhausted. Footfall rather than districting will have been considered. So a non-statutory, low use library becomes a final easy target in an already vulnerable and poverty stricken community. Tory Britain.

Of course you can contrast these savings against the ridiculous expenditure this council is currently making on interims, Commissioners and ongoing consultants costs. Irrespective of what the Mayor says about reducing interim posts, under her they have increased more than significantly. And consultants are attaching their invoices to officers memos of improvement.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 10:43:37 pm »
"There is no friend as loyal as a book"

My 3 year old late last year joined the Childwall library and loves going. I wasn't with her at the time,  but they registered me as well and was very chuffed with my red Liverpool library card. She loves going and it brought back memories working in a library for my work experience and then a summer job. Currently sorting out my books to donate as they said would take them as long as in good condition.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 08:27:50 am »
I used to work for Liverpool libraries and worked in all the south end ones at times. Can tell you that Allerton library has the most entitled punters by a mile. If they’re diverting funds there you can bet it’s the classic squeaky wheel gets the grease scenario. It’s a pretty well off area but it means the locals are switched on and will be making their case known.

Council getting the shaft from central government for years and years doesn’t help things, but it’s a real shame that it’s usually the worse off areas that get theirs shut down first. Used to love working in Edge Hill library when it was open (top of Lodge Lane) but the building was falling to bits. Toxteth surviving so far due to fairly recent lottery funding and the fact it has links to Chinese and Black communities which help its cause.

Libraries are as relevant as ever and serve as a third space allowing people to exist outside their homes without spending any money- there are hardly any of these places left, where you can just go and be without having to reach in your pocket.  the closing of them is so short sighted and hurts communities greatly. People use them to learn computer skills, apply for jobs when they don’t have internet at home, to feed their minds and those  of their children and it’s a shame to see how undervalued they’ve become.

Spot on Sam.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 07:14:52 pm »
The lady working in the Library today (who is also head Steward on the Kop!) said their was 'promising news' regarding the Library's future, but couldn't say anymore at the mement! Fingers crossed it stays open.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 05:57:26 pm »
The lady working in the Library today (who is also head Steward on the Kop!) said their was 'promising news' regarding the Library's future, but couldn't say anymore at the mement! Fingers crossed it stays open.
Anymore news on this?

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 06:09:57 pm »
Spot on Sam.

Agreed. A very similar situation in my area: we had a lovely old library that just wasn’t being used, so when we had to make cuts it was an obvious choice. The village (voted the best place to live in my county and relatively affluent) is largely a dormitory for Glasgow and other places, but locals protested to their councillors and at the local government HQ. My department was pressured into keeping it open. It still had very poor visitor & issue numbers, so come the next round of cuts it was closed. The librarian retired and the service was replaced by an occasional mobile library. Keeping it open originally cost people their jobs. The public like the idea of public libraries but don’t always use them. It would be nice if local governments could keep everything it wanted, but generations of conservative governments have wanted to scale back public services. Ironically the above example of the village library was in a village in a conservative area. They wanted a library, but not to pay for it.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 06:59:01 pm »
Anymore news on this?

Yes, the lady in the Library told me due to immense public outcry, the LCC will continue to fund the Library for the next financial year and will review the situation again in April 2024...great news and rightly so!

Some great and slightly dotty regulars use that Library, made up I'll still be seeing them over the next 12 months!

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Yes, the lady in the Library told me due to immense public outcry, the LCC will continue to fund the Library for the next financial year and will review the situation again in April 2024...great news and rightly so!

Some great and slightly dotty regulars use that Library, made up I'll still be seeing them over the next 12 months!
I saw the Breck road library when I was looking at places to move to in Merseyside, glad to hear it's had a reprieve because it's clearly a hugely valuable resource in an area which needs it.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.