Author Topic: Pre-80s Movie Draft - Sign up and Discussion  (Read 19327 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre-80s Movie Draft - Sign up and Discussion
« Reply #80 on: February 8, 2023, 03:37:36 pm »
Really? That's pretty surprising. I could watch them non-stop to the exclusion of everything else. I can't get enough of them. That crime genre is insane, really - we could easily fill a draft just with them.

Next up: 'The Secret Ingredient is Crime' draft
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: February 8, 2023, 03:39:17 pm »
Some absolutely monsters already.. I'd be out of picks by now though :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: February 8, 2023, 03:55:41 pm »
Great pick Andy!

I was waiting for the Bodo Illgner of the Pre 80's Film Draft as your first pick.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 8, 2023, 03:59:31 pm »
Bollocks was hoping Alien wasn't going to get picked.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #84 on: February 8, 2023, 04:04:33 pm »
Bollocks was hoping Alien wasn't going to get picked.

Yeah me too, ah well.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #85 on: February 8, 2023, 04:06:18 pm »
Great pick Andy!

I was waiting for the Bodo Illgner of the Pre 80's Film Draft as your first pick.

In Space No One Can Hear you Poll
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 8, 2023, 04:10:38 pm »
Feel I'm almost definitely missing a trick not going for a couple of beloved classics that I'm sure will be gone by my next turn, but hopefully some of the big ones I have in mind might still be around

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #87 on: February 8, 2023, 04:22:29 pm »
Regarding the Godfather I vs II debate. While I think both are terrific, I'm partial to the first one.

In terms of performances and overall filmmaking, both are amazing, so it's impossible to separate them in those terms. But in terms of narrative flow, the first one is superior to me and about as perfect as it gets. Not that the second one is bad in that regard, but intersecting two different storylines always causes a bit of a stop-start feeling in the narrative flow, which is something I find distracting in movies.

Thematically, I find part II to be more complex and darker, but it does get a bit heavy and depressing towards the end. While I found the simpler descent in the first one a little more satisfying. Still, they both are two of the best movies I have ever seen and complement each other perfectly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #88 on: February 8, 2023, 04:25:06 pm »
I've got some right corkers planned, hopefully no one will steal my fire (But they probably will :) )

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 8, 2023, 04:27:22 pm »
I've got some right corkers planned, hopefully no one will steal my fire (But they probably will :) )

Ah so new, so fresh, so bushy tailed and bright-eyed.

I remember those days.

*flicks ash off the end of his cigarette

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 8, 2023, 04:39:48 pm »
Happy to get my favourite flick of all time, a true masterpiece

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: February 8, 2023, 04:41:59 pm »

Very good pick :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #92 on: February 8, 2023, 04:42:36 pm »
Some absolutely monsters already.. I'd be out of picks by now though :D

While that’s all true, my favourite pick so far is The Jungle Book. Classic.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #93 on: February 8, 2023, 04:44:55 pm »

The sequel was Amazing 'The Beer Punter' who went to Scunthorpe and had to put a bet on a horse armed only with a can of spam, some cheese and a watney's Red Barrel 6-er.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #94 on: February 8, 2023, 04:45:17 pm »
This is going to be completely impossible to predict, which means that we'd all better have plenty of alternates on hand.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 8, 2023, 04:45:27 pm »

The Bear Necessities should be the theme tune to the transfer thread.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 8, 2023, 04:46:20 pm »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 8, 2023, 04:46:53 pm »

It's definitely got some ear worms in it. Once you hear em you're singing them the entire day!

I think it's one of the first feature animations i've ever watched, after reading the book.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 8, 2023, 04:47:22 pm »
The sequel was Amazing 'The Beer Punter' who went to Scunthorpe and had to put a bet on a horse armed only with a can of spam, some cheese and a watney's Red Barrel 6-er.
;D

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #99 on: February 8, 2023, 04:53:16 pm »
This is going to be completely impossible to predict, which means that we'd all better have plenty of alternates on hand.

Indeed. Absolutely no point having a strategy. I have several films in every category I'd gladly pick and wouldn't be disappointed in any. I took out Cat 1 early mainly because I didn't have as many favourites in there.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #100 on: February 8, 2023, 04:53:48 pm »
On the foreign language category, can you also pick a foreign language film in other categories? Can I for example pick a Japanese animated film?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101 on: February 8, 2023, 04:54:03 pm »
Made the right call not getting involved in this one, there's loads already I've never seen or have only partially seen.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102 on: February 8, 2023, 04:54:35 pm »
On the foreign language category, can you also pick a foreign language film in other categories? Can I for example pick a Japanese animated film?

Yes. You can pick all foreign films if you like  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 8, 2023, 04:55:08 pm »

You can pick any film you like so long as it satisfies the genre, as far as I know.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 8, 2023, 04:56:33 pm »
Indeed. Absolutely no point having a strategy. I have several films in every category I'd gladly pick and wouldn't be disappointed in any. I took out Cat 1 early mainly because I didn't have as many favourites in there.

That's exactly what I did with Sci-Fi, Betts - just not many from days of yore that I like in that category. It's actually a pet peeve of mine that Star Wars has spawned few space opera films and series relative to the massiveness of its impact on pop culture.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #105 on: February 8, 2023, 05:02:03 pm »
That's exactly what I did with Sci-Fi, Betts - just not many from days of yore that I like in that category. It's actually a pet peeve of mine that Star Wars has spawned few space opera films and series relative to the massiveness of its impact on pop culture.

Star Wars is definitely in a handful of the best in there. It's actually my favourite in the trilogy. Mainly because I love Alec Guinness. His casting was absolutely inspired. Though as I'm a big horror fan, I'm not too rushed on that category. I also love bad campy sci-fi and boy is there a lot of that pre-80s  ;D

Edit: Why there haven't been more space operas remains a mystery. Guardians of the Galaxy is the best modern example we've had in a long while. I wish there was more of Fifth Element too. Oh and Firefly/Serenity
« Last Edit: February 8, 2023, 05:06:24 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 8, 2023, 05:06:45 pm »
Love Vertigo, nice selection. The iconic dangling scene and the initial following to investigate Carlotta Valdes is so perfectly intriguing it draws me in every time (even though I know where it goes)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 8, 2023, 05:14:32 pm »
Star Wars is definitely in a handful of the best in there. It's actually my favourite in the trilogy. Mainly because I love Alec Guinness. His casting was absolutely inspired. Though as I'm a big horror fan, I'm not too rushed on that category. I also love bad campy sci-fi and boy is there a lot of that pre-80s  ;D

Edit: Why there haven't been more space operas remains a mystery. Guardians of the Galaxy is the best modern example we've had in a long while. I wish there was more of Fifth Element too. Oh and Firefly/Serenity

I prefer Empire over A New Hope.

What happened to Firefly will go down as one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in TV history. Fuck the network.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 8, 2023, 05:37:31 pm »
Oooof, 2 very good picks there Max.

*scratches those off the list.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 8, 2023, 05:41:02 pm »
Too many great picks happening.

Also, I was watching Only Connect recently and the clues were something like:

Forster Penn Shepherd De Niro

I was so happy got that one right.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 8, 2023, 05:46:34 pm »
Oooof, 2 very good picks there Max.

*scratches those off the list.

Taxi Driver is fucking amazing. One of my favorites De Niro- Scorsese Collab's.

As for Citizen Kane I actually don't rate it as the best film ever made or anything but it is still an outstanding accomplishment considering when it was released. The narrative, the story line, the cinematography all hold up incredibly well even 80+years later. It stands heads and shoulder above most films of that era in terms of pure filmmaking.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 8, 2023, 05:48:41 pm »

As for Citizen Kane I actually don't rate it as the best film ever made or anything but it is still an outstanding accomplishment considering when it was released. The narrative, the story line, the cinematography all hold up incredibly well even 80+years later. It stands heads and shoulder above most films of that era in terms of pure filmmaking.

I absolutely adore Taxi Driver.

I haven't watched it in ages, but it's right up there as a favorite.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: February 8, 2023, 05:51:18 pm »
Yep top pick Taxi Driver, it was either that or Deer Hunter for my first pick, both classics.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 8, 2023, 05:58:41 pm »
Ashamed to admit I've not watched Citizen Kane - might be nice to use this as an excuse to watch it on a hangover Sunday this weekend since it's on iplayer

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #114 on: February 8, 2023, 06:06:16 pm »

I would have picked it, but for having taken it in a previous film draft. Surprised it didn't go sooner actually. Although on the surface it's a film that many love for it's violence and/or De Niro's being De Niro to me it's a far more complex, unsettling, and ambiguous film. One that left me with more questions than answers.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 8, 2023, 06:20:47 pm »
Ashamed to admit I've not watched Citizen Kane - might be nice to use this as an excuse to watch it on a hangover Sunday this weekend since it's on iplayer

I watched if for a film class at uni. I rented it on VHS and played it at home, pausing every time I wanted to write down a note. It took me eight hours to get through it, and the time passed like nothing. It was a brilliant experience. I grieve for the subsequent loss of brain cells.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 8, 2023, 06:25:43 pm »
I would have picked it, but for having taken it in a previous film draft. Surprised it didn't go sooner actually. Although on the surface it's a film that many love for it's violence and/or De Niro's being De Niro to me it's a far more complex, unsettling, and ambiguous film. One that left me with more questions than answers.

Beneath the surface its a film about loneliness, isolation and a mentally unwell individual and his unhealthy obessision. I always see it as a grittier companion piece to The King of Comedy.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 8, 2023, 06:54:09 pm »
Remember watching 'Some Like It Hot' many moons ago, my Dad was in tears even though he had watched it before at some point. Loved seeing my dad laugh at that screen rather get angry about Thatcher or Spurs ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 8, 2023, 07:06:09 pm »
Remember watching 'Some Like It Hot' many moons ago, my Dad was in tears even though he had watched it before at some point. Loved seeing my dad laugh at that screen rather get angry about Thatcher or Spurs ;D

Can't have a pre 80's draft without Marilyn

Knew someone would pick Jaws this round.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #119 on: February 8, 2023, 07:07:56 pm »
Great pick mate. There's no Billy Wilder film I haven't loved, and Some Like It Hot is one of his best works. It also has one of the funniest closing lines I have ever seen in a movie.