Author Topic: Elon Musk  (Read 76922 times)

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
Re: Elon Musk
« Reply #200 on: November 4, 2022, 08:26:17 pm »

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: November 4, 2022, 11:13:30 pm »
If anyone was still in any doubt that Elon Musk is a megalomaniac with no concern for "humanity" at all but a great concern for exhibiting his own power, then this should have helped clarify things. He's a dangerously wealthy spoilt man-child with Martian fantasies and radically neo-liberal beliefs.

unless of course he feels that, for humanitys' sake, twitter must be destroyed.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 4, 2022, 11:18:04 pm »
unless of course he feels that, for humanitys' sake, twitter must be destroyed.

Appears to be heading that way.  Human rights team sacked too reportedly.  3700 employees sacked it appears.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: November 4, 2022, 11:24:27 pm »
Definitely popcorn time.

Elon is such a twat.

Mind you, seems to be well on his way to destroying 44 billion USD in value - when you look at who the other twats are who helped fund that I'd say it couldn't happen to a more deserving gang of arseholes.

It was never worth $44bn anyway, and the people running it knew that. They forced Elon to buy it knowing he would run it into the ground  and ruin it in short order. They will probably rehire the people he has fired as they set up a new version with the money he paid them.

Those left will quickly leave as they won't be interested in taking up the slack of the mass layoffs, and their skills will be in great demand elsewhere.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 5, 2022, 03:07:27 am »
https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1588564108848549888

Various anti-semitic outbursts from Kanye West getting waved through by the complaints department. It's a free for all, can't wait for the platform to die.

I doubt AOC got "bricked", whatever that means - Musk also took an axe to infrastructure support by reducing cloud and additional server space so, in addition to the layoffs, it's hardly surprising that some features aren't working correctly.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 5, 2022, 10:26:12 am »
Twitter is, always has been and always will be shit.

Hopefully it ceases to exist and the people that spend countless hours arguing about nothing can all go and find something more productive to do!

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #206 on: November 5, 2022, 10:33:35 am »
https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1588564108848549888

Various anti-semitic outbursts from Kanye West getting waved through by the complaints department. It's a free for all, can't wait for the platform to die.

I doubt AOC got "bricked", whatever that means - Musk also took an axe to infrastructure support by reducing cloud and additional server space so, in addition to the layoffs, it's hardly surprising that some features aren't working correctly.
Worth noting that the moderation rules have not yet changed.

Twitter has been letting this go for years.

Ban Trump? Ok… but don’t ban Khamenei in Iran. Bizarre

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 5, 2022, 10:42:23 am »
Worth noting that the moderation rules have not yet changed.

Twitter has been letting this go for years.

Ban Trump? Ok… but don’t ban Khamenei in Iran. Bizarre

On the (slightly) positive side, Trump et al won’t be back on for at least another few weeks, unless Musk backtracks on that

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 5, 2022, 11:27:34 am »
A platform who's main stars are Trump, Musk, and Peirs Morgan is nothing but a cesspool

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 5, 2022, 01:14:02 pm »
He has sacked people in the UK via the same methods, it will be interesting to see how that works out legally.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 5, 2022, 01:28:32 pm »
The most aptly named app.

Twitter - Halfway between your twat and your shitter.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 5, 2022, 01:31:21 pm »
He has sacked people in the UK via the same methods, it will be interesting to see how that works out legally.
I think he’s still paying them until February….
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #212 on: November 5, 2022, 04:45:30 pm »
Twitter is toast. It might take five to ten years until it's done, but it's on the road to extinction. Companies don't just dump 50% of their workforce with the expectation that things will improve through that scale of restructuring. There's a concept in information sciences called knowledge management that addresses how internal and collective knowledge can be transferred from one person or group to another. It's highly useful for when long-term employees retire.

How do you capture twenty plus years of specialized knowledge about the responsibilities of a specific job, let alone about how the corporate culture operates and how things have been done in the past. Just think about the amount of internal knowledge has now been lost at Twitter in one day. And that won't include those who decide to leave as a result of these firings. Long-term a company cannot survive with that amount of brain drain/turnover. Even more so when Musk has made terminations in key areas. No company can quickly replace that sort of talent.

Musk has massively overplayed his hand. He thinks he knows far more than he does and now the world is watching this slow motion car crash because his ego and Shakespearean level of hubris caused this. The next phase will be large corporations suspending or holding off advertising on Twitter. It will then extend into his other businesses, because Tesla and its offshoots won't be able to detach themselves from the toxicity of his personal brand.

Tesla received substantial government subsidies that allowed Musk to build up his wealth. Twitter is a whole different ball game and once the traditional automakers accelerate their EV manufacturing, they'll be able to deliver them cheaper and quicker than Tesla will.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2022, 06:06:49 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 5, 2022, 05:24:29 pm »
Not sure I agree.

Given that nearly all of its revenues come from advertising, no level of blue tick fee will fill that gap.

As such, twitter moderation will have to consider the views of advertisers and ensure moderation is effective.

Personally, I don’t think that much will change
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 5, 2022, 06:41:24 pm »
How I see it from a perspective of little knowledge of finance and investments. But with a keen interest in how social media operates.

Advertising has not worked very well for Twitter. Twitter has been way over-valued for the revenue/profits generated by the company. But, I guess, the stock valuation reflected perceived potential for future growth. And in the interim, it was a trusted corporation, somewhere safe to invest, and hopefully see a good RoI when Twitter eventually sorts out its business model.

It has been suggested that Twitter was ripe for a subscription model for blue check mark (BCM) holders (and free, as now, for everyone else). What I have seen suggested is that Twitter could be charging thousands of dollars (or more) per year from some of its BCM members. The likes of media corporations and large brands certainly benefit enormously from using the platform and could afford high fees. Small-time BCM holders would be charged a nominal fee (or free for the likes of charities). A subscription model along those lines would generate far, far more revenue than the $8/month Musk has introduced. There are some 400,000 BCM holders on the platform, and most of them benefit financially (reputationally) from participating there.

Twitter has very large operating costs. It has to generate income from somewhere. Advertising - by itself - is not cutting it. BCM subscription fees on top of advertising could make all the difference. But here's the rub. All of this could have be explained and rationalised in a calm and reasonable way. Although the old Twitter Board of Directors did toy with a subscription model, nothing ever came of it. But now that Twitter has been bought by Musk, a man who is untrusted and bereft of good will, charging for blue check marks has become an almost impossible sell.

Perhaps the old Board have played this brilliantly. They decided (for whatever reason) that the subscription model was not going to work and the platform would massively decrease in value over time as investors failed to realise high returns. Rather, the opposite would occur, where the value of the stock would gradually decline over the next few years. Then, in comes Musk. The Board, who must operate in the best interests of their share holders, decide that the offer was too good an opportunity to pass.

Of course it is impossible to know - in alternate reality - how Twitter would have fared if it had not been sold to Musk. But if it does now crash and burn, there will be a good argument for stating that the Board played an absolute blinder.

Because Musk is at the helm, and if there is no way for other investors to remove him, I think Twitter is now fucked. rafathegaffa83 suggested a decline over 5-10 years. If this was a brick and mortar business, that might be correct in many instances. But history of the platforms on the Net strongly indicates that the end could come very quickly. I suppose what might happen is that the platform is sold again before its value has completely crashed. But it surely will be for fraction of the price paid by Musk. Or, that would be the sensible thing to do in such a situation. But when there is a megalomaniac running the company, who knows.

The problem for Twitter is now Musk. Except for other uber c*nts, no one likes him.

https://velocitize.com/2020/12/10/scott-galloway-twitter-should-adopt-subscription-model/
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 5, 2022, 09:56:59 pm »
How I see it from a perspective of little knowledge of finance and investments. But with a keen interest in how social media operates.

Advertising has not worked very well for Twitter. Twitter has been way over-valued for the revenue/profits generated by the company. But, I guess, the stock valuation reflected perceived potential for future growth. And in the interim, it was a trusted corporation, somewhere safe to invest, and hopefully see a good RoI when Twitter eventually sorts out its business model.

It has been suggested that Twitter was ripe for a subscription model for blue check mark (BCM) holders (and free, as now, for everyone else). What I have seen suggested is that Twitter could be charging thousands of dollars (or more) per year from some of its BCM members. The likes of media corporations and large brands certainly benefit enormously from using the platform and could afford high fees. Small-time BCM holders would be charged a nominal fee (or free for the likes of charities). A subscription model along those lines would generate far, far more revenue than the $8/month Musk has introduced. There are some 400,000 BCM holders on the platform, and most of them benefit financially (reputationally) from participating there.

Twitter has very large operating costs. It has to generate income from somewhere. Advertising - by itself - is not cutting it. BCM subscription fees on top of advertising could make all the difference. But here's the rub. All of this could have be explained and rationalised in a calm and reasonable way. Although the old Twitter Board of Directors did toy with a subscription model, nothing ever came of it. But now that Twitter has been bought by Musk, a man who is untrusted and bereft of good will, charging for blue check marks has become an almost impossible sell.

Perhaps the old Board have played this brilliantly. They decided (for whatever reason) that the subscription model was not going to work and the platform would massively decrease in value over time as investors failed to realise high returns. Rather, the opposite would occur, where the value of the stock would gradually decline over the next few years. Then, in comes Musk. The Board, who must operate in the best interests of their share holders, decide that the offer was too good an opportunity to pass.

Of course it is impossible to know - in alternate reality - how Twitter would have fared if it had not been sold to Musk. But if it does now crash and burn, there will be a good argument for stating that the Board played an absolute blinder.

Because Musk is at the helm, and if there is no way for other investors to remove him, I think Twitter is now fucked. rafathegaffa83 suggested a decline over 5-10 years. If this was a brick and mortar business, that might be correct in many instances. But history of the platforms on the Net strongly indicates that the end could come very quickly. I suppose what might happen is that the platform is sold again before its value has completely crashed. But it surely will be for fraction of the price paid by Musk. Or, that would be the sensible thing to do in such a situation. But when there is a megalomaniac running the company, who knows.

The problem for Twitter is now Musk. Except for other uber c*nts, no one likes him.

https://velocitize.com/2020/12/10/scott-galloway-twitter-should-adopt-subscription-model/

Wouldn't going to bigger fees for BCM and basic subscriptions for ordinary users result in a higher level of posts being related to paid partnerships about products? This would result in the advertising being in the tweets rather then around the app.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 5, 2022, 10:15:37 pm »
Wouldn't going to bigger fees for BCM and basic subscriptions for ordinary users result in a higher level of posts being related to paid partnerships about products? This would result in the advertising being in the tweets rather then around the app.
I don't really follow you. Brands, celebrities, media outlets, etc., use Twitter to engage their customers. Everything they do at Twitter is, at its core, advertising their brand and products. But, it usually vital (or advantageous, at least) that the advertising not be obvious - it is about making people like the brand more. Brands might well continue with direct advertising at Twitter too. All that changing a subscription does is allow Twitter to be paid for part of the benefit it brings to brands. I see no reason why charging a subscription fee would change how a brand would operate at Twitter.

And in case we are at cross purposes, I did not suggest that ordinary users would pay any sort of subscription fee. Indeed, some BCM holders would be exempt too. It has been suggested that the charge should lick in at above a certain number of followers for BCM holders. That would seem reasonable.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 6, 2022, 08:22:43 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FvQwCKtVhks&amp;ab_channel=TheRingofFire" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FvQwCKtVhks&amp;ab_channel=TheRingofFire</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #218 on: November 6, 2022, 09:55:28 pm »
What a fucking shitshow. Imagine firing some people by mistake and firing others without realizing they needed their skills and experience.

Twitter Inc., after laying off roughly half the company on Friday following Elon Musk’s $44 billion acquisition, is now reaching out to dozens of employees who lost their jobs and asking them to return.

Some of those who are being asked to return were laid off by mistake, according to two people familiar with the moves. Others were let go before management realized that their work and experience may be necessary to build the new features Musk envisions, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing private information.
https://fortune.com/2022/11/06/twitter-trying-to-rehire-workers-elon-musk-fired-days-ago-sources-say/

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 6, 2022, 10:10:02 pm »
What a fucking shitshow. Imagine firing some people by mistake and firing others without realizing they needed their skills and experience.
I'm loving this new Twitter Musk has created. Top notch entertainment and so much better than before! :)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 6, 2022, 10:17:29 pm »

Sounds like they we sacked by an algorithm.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 6, 2022, 10:24:19 pm »
Bring in Sir Gav!
W

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 6, 2022, 11:43:48 pm »
He’s genuinely more thin skinned than Trump. Absolute fucking weirdo.

The absolute deranged nature of the budget Biff Tannens who think they’re a genius because their distant daddy left them a fortune is ludicrous.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 7, 2022, 01:27:06 am »
A bunch of people got verified, made their Twitter Handle Elon Musk, and started embarrassing him on the app.

Naturally Mr Free Speech has set up to ban every single one who does this.

Racism is allowed but making fun of Musk is an instant ban.

This and the accidental firings, this is like Liz Truss levels of going shit way faster than anyone predicted, despite predictions of it going shit super fast

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 7, 2022, 02:20:29 am »
He’s genuinely more thin skinned than Trump. Absolute fucking weirdo.

The absolute deranged nature of the budget Biff Tannens who think they’re a genius because their distant daddy left them a fortune is ludicrous.

Ocasio-Cortez
“Lmao at a billionaire earnestly trying to sell people on the idea that ‘free speech’ is actually a $8/mo subscription plan,”

Musk
“Your feedback is appreciated, now pay $8,”

A prime example.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 7, 2022, 08:20:57 am »
Such a man child. Serious trump-level narcissism and delusion. I mean, just look at his Halloween costume - a $7k superhero style costume. That gives you a lot of insight into the man.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 7, 2022, 09:28:03 am »
Such a man child. Serious trump-level narcissism and delusion. I mean, just look at his Halloween costume - a $7k superhero style costume. That gives you a lot of insight into the man.

Is wearing a samurai outfit considered as cultural appropriation?

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 7, 2022, 09:33:03 am »
A bunch of people got verified, made their Twitter Handle Elon Musk, and started embarrassing him on the app.

Naturally Mr Free Speech has set up to ban every single one who does this.

Racism is allowed but making fun of Musk is an instant ban.

This and the accidental firings, this is like Liz Truss levels of going shit way faster than anyone predicted, despite predictions of it going shit super fast

Is that true, hes banned Parody accounts?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 7, 2022, 09:33:38 am »
He is a real weirdo. Im glad he is fucking up Twitter, social media needs to die.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 7, 2022, 09:42:00 am »
He is a real weirdo. Im glad he is fucking up Twitter, social media needs to die.

Same. I only use Instagram to follow bands, footy etc but even that is starting to suggest some shite to me.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #230 on: November 7, 2022, 10:09:15 am »
I don't really follow you. Brands, celebrities, media outlets, etc., use Twitter to engage their customers. Everything they do at Twitter is, at its core, advertising their brand and products. But, it usually vital (or advantageous, at least) that the advertising not be obvious - it is about making people like the brand more. Brands might well continue with direct advertising at Twitter too. All that changing a subscription does is allow Twitter to be paid for part of the benefit it brings to brands. I see no reason why charging a subscription fee would change how a brand would operate at Twitter.

And in case we are at cross purposes, I did not suggest that ordinary users would pay any sort of subscription fee. Indeed, some BCM holders would be exempt too. It has been suggested that the charge should lick in at above a certain number of followers for BCM holders. That would seem reasonable.

That's missing the point of the Blue Check Mark. Tweets are the content and verified users provide added value content. There are may users with large numbers of folloers who aren't there for financial gain.

Musk is a fucking idiot who doesn't understand what he's bought. The BCM had value for Twitter because it told us all that the person was who they say they were. It creates a level of basic trust. I can read the tweets of people I repsect and people I despise but I can take the information thrie tweets in context. Because he's a right-wing narcissist with a massive ego he's incapable of understanding there are people who might just want to provide good information for no personal benefit.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 7, 2022, 11:27:16 am »
Is that true, hes banned Parody accounts?

They have to be marked as parody or will be "Permanently Suspended"

But through actually looking at it, it only applies to accounts parodying Musk

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 7, 2022, 11:34:08 am »
Is wearing a samurai outfit considered as cultural appropriation?

It depends - as a frivilous costume or wholesale stealing designs and passing off as your own, absoluted, but it also depends on the attitudes of the parent culture and as far as I am aware, Japan is quite liberal in using their heritage symbols to the wider world to teach their culture, they are happy for people to (under the right circumstances) wear traditional Japanese armour or clothing to experience Japanese culture as far as I have seen.

But of course that's a determination to be made by someone of that culture - so it is a big "depends" and listen to the people who's culture it is and not anyone else of either side

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 7, 2022, 11:43:27 am »
I'm very undecided about musk and his intentions.

This will tell a lot for me. If he destroys twitter then perhaps he does, genuinely, want to do humanity a service.

Without him, would space travel still be halted? Make no mistake, we need to progress in regards space travel and exploration. We need to get off this rock soon, I. E in the next billion years or so. Baby steps, Mars first, then the moons of jupiter and so on. Is this likely without his input? It's Alot more than space tourism in my eyes

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 7, 2022, 11:47:50 am »

Was always going to happen, due to the speed and way they were sacked. As you said before, there's a way of carrying on knowledge in a company, but sacking people by remotwly wiping they laptop is exactly the opposite.

I hope they all tell him to fuck off.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 7, 2022, 11:49:05 am »
That's missing the point of the Blue Check Mark. Tweets are the content and verified users provide added value content. There are may users with large numbers of folloers who aren't there for financial gain.

Musk is a fucking idiot who doesn't understand what he's bought. The BCM had value for Twitter because it told us all that the person was who they say they were. It creates a level of basic trust. I can read the tweets of people I repsect and people I despise but I can take the information thrie tweets in context. Because he's a right-wing narcissist with a massive ego he's incapable of understanding there are people who might just want to provide good information for no personal benefit.
Hi Alan,

If you read my other posts, we are actually on the same page. So far, (and I have stated this) I have operated under the assumption that verification would continue for blue check mark holders. Indeed, I am not the only to have taken this view, with people calculating how much the present 3-400,000 blue check mark holders would bring in for Twitter each month. Further, Musk continues to use the word 'verification' for BCMs. But if the identities of BCM holders are not actually verified, what the hell does 'verified' mean? The messaging via Tweet has been appallingly bad. It is clear as mud to me what Musk intends for Twitter.

A quick search around the Net seems to indicate that the majority of people believe as you do that anyone can obtain a blue check mark for a fee. If this is indeed the case, it is bonkers and will destroy the whole point of BCMs. We are in absolute agreement.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353248.msg18572889#msg18572889

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353248.msg18573842#msg18573842

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353248.msg18577018#msg18577018

This seems to be the overwhelming consensus now:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/05/1134561542/twitter-blue-check-paid-verification-elon-musk

I can't quite believe that Musk thinks turning the check mark into a simple commodity is a good idea. The guy is mental.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 7, 2022, 11:49:46 am »

This will tell a lot for me. If he destroys twitter then perhaps he does, genuinely, want to do humanity a service.

Without him, would space travel still be halted? Make no mistake, we need to progress in regards space travel and exploration. We need to get off this rock soon, I. E in the next billion years or so. Baby steps, Mars first, then the moons of jupiter and so on. Is this likely without his input? It's Alot more than space tourism in my eyes

Why?

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 7, 2022, 12:01:52 pm »

:lmao

Musk isn't the saviour of the human race.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #238 on: November 7, 2022, 12:07:18 pm »
I'm still under the assumption that you will need to verify yourself to obtain the BCM, they've just opened it up to the masses to do so and added a fee. Those who currently have the BCM will get the addition of another tag under their name a bit like Politicians get now, which will further verify them beyond the BCM.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 7, 2022, 12:09:18 pm »
I just came across this from Vox - they too are not clear if verification will continue or not. I seems that anyone can obtain a blue check mark for a fee, but will they still have the identity verified? If verification is still applied to all BCM holders, then an argument for the new system might be made. Indeed, it even could be argued that it improves trust. If, however, actual verification is dropped, they it seriously the platform/product. Musk/Twitter still refer to 'verification' in regard to BCMs. ???

https://www.vox.com/recode/2022/11/4/23438917/twitter-verifications-blue-check-elon-musk