Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 111323 times)

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:05 am »
Officially unveiled in a trailer this afternoon, at 3pm. Still a lot of mystery surrounding it, though the consensus is that it's USP is that it's a portable console.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-20-nintendo-to-unveil-nx-this-afternoon

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-30-nintendo-nx-games-release-date-specs-price

Wii U was the first Ninty console I ever skipped, was really gutted about it, but it just felt like a slight upgrade on a console that was never really aimed towards me. So I'm really intrigued as to where they go with this, hoping they actually try to cater more for online gaming, seems like they've left themselves miles behind the trend in this regard. Which is ridiculous when you look at the potential in online for their first party titles alone. They really need to get major third party support though, that was one of the major flaws in the Wii U, sadly the Nintendo name isn't a console seller on it's own anymore.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:13:33 pm by SP »
AHA!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Nintendo NX
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:00 am »
consensus is that it's USP is that it's a portable console.

How are other consoles not portable?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:30 am »
Be interesting to see what it's like. Wii was fun for a little bit, it was different at the time. Wii U just didn't appeal to me and the rumour of this console doesn't either. I'm not interested in portable gaming anymore. I don't like mobile gaming.

Just give me good games I can play on my tele please Nintendo with a traditional controller and no gimmicks.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:23 pm »
Just give me good games I can play on my tele please Nintendo with a traditional controller and no gimmicks.
This. I think Nintendo make better games than anybody.

However they're their own worst enemy by constantly trying to be different. There's such a thing as too much innovation. Sadly, I think the giant sales of the Wii have probably persuaded them to chase after the next groundbreaking moment.

Everyone stopped playing the Wii after getting bored of motion controls in the first couple of years. That's when I picked one up for cheap and played through Nintendo's own titles. Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess are near-perfect games, the only thing stopping them from being so is their motion controls. That's what annoys me about Nintendo. They get all the basics of gaming absolutely spot on, so everything is intuitive and fun to play. Then it's as if it's all too easy for them, so they have to handicap themselves by introducing some new gimmick.

The Wii-U seemed slightly more conventional than it's predecessor, but it hasn't got it's own version of Mario Galaxy or any trace of a Zelda adventure. Also it was probably the worst marketed mainstream console of all time by a gigantic distance. I've never actually seen one.

They have enough disciples not to care, but I really hope Nintendo can tempt me back into their world.

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:17:01 pm »
Debating getting a 3DS for Pokemon and some of the Zelda games I missed but I think I might wait and see how this NX announcement goes!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »

The control design is a work of genius.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:15:08 pm »
I'll be buying it as I love Nintendo games. Agree they can be their own worst enemy sometimes but I just love them.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:20:31 pm »
I'd of just been happy with it staying plugged into a TV. And whilst some will argue you can do entirely that, the experience has been compromised by making it portable. Like I said I have no interest in playing games on the move anymore.

I won't rule out not purchasing it, because there might be some really cool games for it but I just want the best Mario and other franchises Nintendo can give me in 2017, and I just feel the portability compromises that to an extent.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 04:36:41 pm »
I'd of just been happy with it staying plugged into a TV. And whilst some will argue you can do entirely that, the experience has been compromised by making it portable. Like I said I have no interest in playing games on the move anymore.

I won't rule out not purchasing it, because there might be some really cool games for it but I just want the best Mario and other franchises Nintendo can give me in 2017, and I just feel the portability compromises that to an extent.
Yeah, but you have to admit, it's a great option to have, plus that screen also acts as a controller for more dedicated console experiences.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 05:18:26 pm »
It means you can tell the kids to bugger off and play it out of earshot without have to move the whole console and the spaghetti wiring. That is a winner in my book.

But then I liked the Wii U.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 05:21:29 pm »
Will probably get this as long as the price is reasonable.  I still play the Wii, my daughter has just started to get interested in it.  Zelda and mario games usually give me so many hours of fun that it's worth the price of the console just for that.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 05:47:10 pm »
They have to get the launch titles right this time or they will be finished as a hardware company.   I know details are slim at the moment but I sincerely hope that they are not going to rely on a load of upgraded and reissued games (Mario kart 8, Skyrim) as the video kind of suggests.   One new Mario game is not enough and Breath of the Wild will also be on Wii U so not an exclusive.   Fingers crossed for more surprises eg a new metroid.

The list of developers they have on board seems good but I think they had something similar announced for the Wii U before virtually everyone abandoned it.

It makes sense to try and combine their handheld and home console operations but this will not sell on the basis of a gimmick alone and as Upinsmoke said fans just  want great Nintendo games.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 05:51:09 pm »
They just need to release a console styled Pokemon game. A Skyrim type RPG. Record sales in no time

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 06:08:45 pm »
Think they have absolutely nailed the design, really cool looking console and it's something you would leave the house with.

If they have a Mario and a Zelda for launch, it will be a huge hit. And cartridges are back :D
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 06:59:42 pm »
It means you can tell the kids to bugger off and play it out of earshot without have to move the whole console and the spaghetti wiring. That is a winner in my book.

But then I liked the Wii U.

Or in my case, the kids can watch their crap on the telly and I can still play Yoshi on the game pad. Love my Wii U, I don't have much time for gaming anymore but I do play more on my Wii U than the PS4, possibly because of the game pad and possibly because I just like it a bit more.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 07:38:45 pm »
They just need to release a console styled Pokemon game. A Skyrim type RPG. Record sales in no time

According to rumours, there IS going to be a Pokemon game for it.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »
I've been really meh with Nintendo's flagship consoles for the past 16 years but this might actually be them returning to form. They've got to get the titles right on this one. If they've got high end specs for this like has been mooted - basically not far from the big two - then I think the titles should really be top quality because innovation has never been an issue and nintendo has never relied on pure power to get people to play, but it's really been so far off Sony that they need something better.

If they get it right then I'll definitely be getting one, I haven't had a fixed nintendo (I know this is technically portable) since the 64 so fingers crossed because they're long overdue getting back into the big leagues.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:57:30 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 10:09:45 pm »
Love it, will be buying at launch!

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 12:14:54 am »
I've been really meh with Nintendo's flagship consoles for the past 16 years but this might actually be them returning to form. They've got to get the titles right on this one. If they've got high end specs for this like has been mooted - basically not far from the big two - then I think the titles should really be top quality because innovation has never been an issue and nintendo has never relied on pure power to get people to play, but it's really been so far off Sony that they need something better.

If they get it right then I'll definitely be getting one, I haven't had a fixed nintendo (I know this is technically portable) since the 64 so fingers crossed because they're long overdue getting back into the big leagues.

I was thinking the same, I haven't really been fussed since the GameCube but if this has a decent selection of titles, some form of backwards compatibility or a bunch of remasters and decent online play I might pick it up.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 04:00:53 am »

Skyrim remastered is coming to it. The game and the publisher are in the announcement.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 06:19:16 am »
Skyrim remastered is coming to it. The game and the publisher are in the announcement.
They haven't confirmed Skyrim.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2016/10/20/13353270/nintendo-switch-skyrim-nba-2k17-not-confirmed

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 07:14:21 am »
I sold my WiiU and PS4 so I'm currently without a console, I'm not usually hyped for Nintendo products but it's a day 1 purchase for me if:

The WiiU Pro Controllers are backwards compatible
There's backwards compatibility with WiiU titles, without a disc drive I'm guessing this needs to be digital or some sort of add-on.
A strong launch line-up for once
It's priced around £200 for the base model, though with the pound plummeting we'll be lucky if it's £1000.
:D

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 09:07:13 am »
I'm fully on board with this.

Obviously they didn't design the Switch for me but they designed it for people like me. My life is busy as shit and most of my free time exists in the dead of night when I'm in bed or when I'm travelling. The Switch gives me the perfect combination of portability and power.

I have a daily portable gaming device - the GPD XD - which got close to satisfying my need for gaming on the move, but the Switch is almost certainly going to full scratch that itch.

I wouldn't personally worry about game and hardware announcements coming any time soon. Nintendo have their new Animal crossing game and probably the biggest fall/winter global gaming release in Pokemon Sun/Moon coming up and their focus will be on that and not wanting to dent any potential final surge in sales for the 3DS.

Nintendo will almost certainly not be repeating the issues that arose from the weak launch titles of the Wii U and I suspect that we'll be getting Skyrim, Mario Kart and obviously Zelda as well as half a dozen other strong AAA titles on launch.

Questions from me are:

Does the dock create a super console, or does that act more like a connectivity hub/charging cradle? Will it perhaps enable some incremental improvements - 60fps from dock, 30fps on the device.
This bastard better have 5+ hours battery.
No evidence yet that the screen is touch enabled - surely it will be?
Full HD or something battery friendly like 720?
Carts look to be (at least) double the thickness of 3DS carts - is this saying no backwards compatibility?
Feels like it might be a while 'til we see Wii U B/C - Tegra chips in the Switch are ARM architecture, Wii U was Power PC-based (as was the original Wii). Not a developer but I believe this makes porting old games relatively difficult and time-consuming.

Just so excited that Nintendo seem to have combined the things they're best at into one device.

As long as they launch the full package - Dock, pro-controller and game pad for £399 or less, I can see this being absolutely massive.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:58 am »
Any idea on how strong is the hardware?
Is that some version of 'Skyrim' on it or am I mistaken?

If it's 'Skyrim' then it's at least as strong as PS3 I guess.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 10:03:19 am »
Any idea on how strong is the hardware?
Is that some version of 'Skyrim' on it or am I mistaken?

If it's 'Skyrim' then it's at least as strong as PS3 I guess.

It is Skyrim.

Re: Specs - We won't know officially until January - Nintendo have already stated that. However, we can reasonably infer that the custom Tegra CPU it's using, will put its processing power somewhere between 60-odd% of a PS4 if it's based on the first iterations of the Tegra, but if it's the Tegra 2 then it could realistically be up in the realms of 90% of the CPU power of the PS4/XB1 which would be incredibly exciting.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 10:07:14 am »
Holy fuckarony!
That would be a mighty punch for a portable machine.

I'd be ok with a smooth 720P to be honest.
Love the idea, the battery life needs to be good but it looks like a rather inspired piece of work from Nintendo.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Holy fuckarony!
That would be a mighty punch for a portable machine.

I'd be ok with a smooth 720P to be honest.
Love the idea, the battery life needs to be good but it looks like a rather inspired piece of work from Nintendo.

There seems to be an underlying consensus amongst the games commentators and streamers I've watched since the announcement, that most people would sacrifice 1080p for high framerate and extended battery - I am one of them.

If they can get 720p, good locked frame rates, 5/6 hours battery life and relatively quick charging from USB (those last 2 statements are fairly contradictory, I appreciate) then it will be a wonder device in my eyes.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 10:16:34 am »
Agreed, that would be right on the money.
It may just be the first Nintendo console I buy since the 80's.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 10:17:43 am »
Battery life will be absolutely crucial. If they get that right in a combo home/on-the-move console, it'll be a surefire success.

Being the most powerful gaming machine out there that comes with extreme portability built-in will mean a lot to people who like playing games everywhere they go (or that being the only time they get chance to), as long as it lasts for a good 6 hours or so years into heavy daily use, and on demanding games too. Extra battery packs will have to be ultra-convenient too not to seem like an added pain in the arse.

I'm obviously not buying one, as I can never permit Nintendo into the bosom of my home, and I'm only allowed to steal stuff from them. But I'm not gona be a hater on the concept and games, and I really do like that they are always trying something a bit different. I hardly play videogames when I'm out and about to be honest, so ultra-portability is not such a big factor for me in any case; I don't even bother with the games I have on my phone. I dig the innovative 'transformer' vibe though.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 10:45:21 am »
I haven't bought a Nintendo for many years but you know what, this is on the list.  Looks boss.  If its a bit weaker technically, I don't mind.  I'll have the Xbox for that stuff.  Just give me Mario/Zelda/Pokémon stuff with that portability.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 11:16:35 am »
Read a bit this morning and there are a few suggestions that it'll be about £300. At £200 I'd have bought it just for Zelda but at £300 it's going to be an expensive ornament for 360 days of the year!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 11:17:07 am »
If this releases with that Mario game shown (which looks like a Mario 64 successor) Zelda BoTW and a Pokemon Go game, then Nintendo will clean house. This will absolutely fly off the shelves. We'll see Wii levels of sales with this, possibly bigger. Another big factor in this could be if 3d and DS games being instantly compatible.

I personally couldn't care about Pokemon, but if it's got those other two, plus a couple of other interesting other titles, I'm buying one on release. Z:BoTW already looks like it's got that classic all time great game that only Nintendo seem to provide stamped all over it.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 11:20:18 am »
Read a bit this morning and there are a few suggestions that it'll be about £300. At £200 I'd have bought it just for Zelda but at £300 it's going to be an expensive ornament for 360 days of the year!
280-300 sounds about right. Especially for what it is. It's effectively doubling up on their handheld and home market. I can't see games being an issue for it.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 11:26:28 am »
280-300 sounds about right. Especially for what it is. It's effectively doubling up on their handheld and home market. I can't see games being an issue for it.

Tesco accidentally put a pre-order up on their website earlier this morning and the list price was £350. Perhaps nothing to read in to, but GrandPooBear - a well respected streamer - also mentioned that there would be two prices - one higher tier price for the complete set - dock, pro controller and device and a lower price for the device only.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 11:38:05 am »
Tesco accidentally put a pre-order up on their website earlier this morning and the list price was £350. Perhaps nothing to read in to, but GrandPooBear - a well respected streamer - also mentioned that there would be two prices - one higher tier price for the complete set - dock, pro controller and device and a lower price for the device only.
Surely the dock is some kind of symbiotic linked hardware? Once the portable is docked, it combines its shared resources into a home system. I can't see it just being used for a power charging station, and all the processing power contained solely in the portable unit. If it is, then that's a seriously powerful portable. I reckon if there are two bundles, then one will be for the console and the base unit, and the other just for the portable. That would defeat the purpose of the concept, though.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 11:50:16 am »
Surely the dock is some kind of symbiotic linked hardware? Once the portable is docked, it combines its shared resources into a home system. I can't see it just being used for a power charging station, and all the processing power contained solely in the portable unit. If it is, then that's a seriously powerful portable. I reckon if there are two bundles, then one will be for the console and the base unit, and the other just for the portable. That would defeat the purpose of the concept, though.

Sorry - was a bit vague there. He was suggesting that's what you'd get with the bigger package rather than what he'd heard about the bigger package; my bad.

That's definitely the key question for me - whether the dock is a fundamental for the console, or whether it acts like a boost to performance.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 11:53:32 am »
How they price this will be the key to its success. You can get a PS4 for £250 so charging much more than that and I think they'll struggle. I know it has the added advantage of being handheld but I think many people would struggle to justify the extra cost over a PS4/xBox.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:07 pm »
That "look" raises more questions than anything.

So this seems to mean Nintendo don't plan to compete with Sony or Microsoft going forward, at least power wise.

Who are they appealing for/is there any original titles, I dunno how long a company can last on a main console market with just rehash games of Mario/Mario Kart and Legend of Zelda :-/

How long is the battery, that's a big screen, when you cater in the screen battery drain plus processing power etc added into that I can't imagine it will lats more than 3/4 hours max unless it's got the most kickass battery

Having said all of the above, if it has a good battery life (about 5 hours or more) and decent power this could be seriously popular as in on the same level as the original Wii was in bringing the non-gamers into the console market, this on an airplane trip for example would be heavenly! Imagine how fast a trip would go when you're exploring the world in the new Zelda title or playing Skyrim!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:36:17 pm by PhilV »

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 01:07:20 pm »
Looks really cool and i'll get one if it's not crazy expensive. Now that i think of it, the one thing that has stopped me doing any real gaming on a tablet has been the lack of a controller, proper games.

Could be very popular with the "hardcore". And kids are crazy for gaming on tablets so who knows.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:12:27 pm by BER »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »
Could be very popular with the "hardcore".

I guess as someone who has owned most Nintendo consoles, that's me. I'll be getting one for sure. Maybe not right at launch. Maybe though ;D

Not too arsed about taking it out of the house, but the ability to play off TV has been fantastic with the Wii U and this will be the same but better.