Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1009868 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »
hmmm, thats not just falling off the wagon, its the wagon smashing into a wall at a 100 mph, then catching fire and the fuel tank exploding

you are getting close to other people making the decision for you to give up booze e.g. a stay inside

shame really as if the cops werent called, it would have just been one night off, which in the grand scheme of things, is not a big deal

maybe going to the docs i sthe right thing to do

you need a bit of help

maybe some anti d's for a while

I did it for a while, if you worry about the social stigma of taking anti d's, the social stigma of being a fuck up alchoholic is worse

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2009, 04:12:47 pm »
Hey there HF, I think it's very important for you not to have a gun readily available. 

I think it's always a bad idea, but in your case, when there is a possibility of making decisions without being able to think about the consequences because of the drink or your depression, you might end up harming yourself or people around you.

Get rid of that gun.

About falling off the wagon, it part of the journey you've embarked on.  You have to keep believing in your ability to beat this thing and accept that there are going to be some serious stumbling blocks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:14:23 pm by Alphaville »
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2009, 04:28:48 pm »
So now you'll be getting 7 years for the gun?
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:17 pm »
So now you'll be getting 7 years for the gun?

no. because i threw the gun down when i realised it was coppers. thought i was getting done over. dont know how i not been done. i signed a form to have the gun destroyed. And yes Alphaville, you are right.  its gone. but, time to get a grip i guess and get back to my lemonade. and i honestly believe alcohol is a very serious drug that is underestimated by many.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2009, 07:08:30 am »
what can i say? i fucked up. booze is gonna be the death of me if im not careful. and it was going well till yesterday.

Thats not the way to think about it mate - you should be thinking "It IS STILL going well, but I've hit the first major hurdle". Down get too down on yourself, we all make mistakes, it's part of being human.

Think about it this way: forgetting the recent incident, compare how your life has been over the last 2-3 weeks compared to how it was before you decided to cut down the grog. Was it better than when you were still just lashing it up without thinking about the consequences?

Seriously you have put in some of the hardest yards already, so stick with it - and I think its really important that you've come on here and admitted that things went haywire recently. Its a sign that you actually want to succeed (if you didn't then you could have easily come on here and lied and just said something like "oh yeah its going fine").

I'll keep looking out for this thread, got my fingers crossed that you keep going with it - keep updating with bad or good news.

Good luck fella :wave

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Linton

• Kopite
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:31 am »
ah well guys. time for an update. and its not good. i fell off the wagon at high speed yesterday. Watched the England Argie Game re-run in the pub as i dont have a tv at home. 8 beers there. cider at home. lost the plot. started punching myself in the head and going nuts. dont know why. cops were called. i didnt know who was walking thru my front door. just heard mens voices. walked out with a gun in my hand thinking it was the pikeys who robbed the 2 old guys 2 doors down. well, it wasnt. 3 cops.  suffice it to say, one cs spray, 3 fucking hard whacks with the baton, flat on the gound gasping for breath, cop kneeling on me putting handcuffs on and a long night in the cells.

what can i say? i fucked up. booze is gonna be the death of me if im not careful. and it was going well till yesterday.

Sorry to hear this. If it is this bad, have you considered maybe antabus or something, at least you wont be able to drink then? You should talk to your doctor and ask them for help, it's their job to help you out and get you well again.
Hang in there mate!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2009, 09:19:05 pm »
I hope you don't have any kids.

Dad was an alkie. It came to a head one night when he threw my mom and I out at knife-point due to a cold dinner. Good man when he's sober. Different creature when not.

We keep in touch. He wants to reconnect. He'll die alone.

I hope you sort yourself out, I hope you kick the habit. But if you're going down, don't take anybody with you.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2009, 10:22:14 pm »

Dad was an alkie. It came to a head one night when he threw my mom and I out at knife-point due to a cold dinner. Good man when he's sober. Different creature when not.

I hope you sort yourself out, I hope you kick the habit. But if you're going down, don't take anybody with you.

thats one hell of a post. succint and to the point. thank you.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »
oh and a quick note. i know about alcoholics. my mum is brain damaged after going on a bender when i was 6-7 , puking up, choking on her vomit and not getting enough oxygen to her brain. thats how i remember mum. dad, if he can be called a dad , loved taking his kids in the car, going to the pub at 11am, getting pissed, giving me and me bro a bottle of coke and a pack of crisps whilst we sat in the car till 3pm. seems to be where i picked up the drinking at lunchtime habit. funny old world innit lol.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:05 pm »

bit unfair that last bit
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:19 pm »
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2009, 10:51:47 pm »
why?

yep. not unfair. honesty is good. IF i went down i dont wanna take anyone with me, but thats impossible cos there is always someone getting hurt.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:11 pm »
why?

the lads struggling, last thing he needs is someone putting more pressue on him

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »

Life is long.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2009, 11:10:43 pm »
Life is long.

i can see that. i always hoped my brother died horribly after i found out he was shagging my wife. im best man at his wedding next year as he marries her. times change, priorities change and outlooks change.  Alcohol isnt easy to kick. obviously. but lets hope he wont die alone.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »
i can see that. i always hoped my brother died horribly after i found out he was shagging my wife. im best man at his wedding next year as he marries her. times change, priorities change and outlooks change.  Alcohol isnt easy to kick. obviously. but lets hope he wont die alone.

your brother is marrying your ex and your the best man?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:21 pm »
seems fucked up eh. but there are more important things to worry bout. hes blood. shes a good person. was my fault she felt the need to move along. shes better off with him and thats all that matters. i beat him up a few times over it, and very badly, but after an incidence at home i realised that there is so much more to worry about than shit like that. forgive and make everyones life better. im not bitter. it eats at you. which would have been a reason for the drinking as well. fuck me, im eastenders in one package lol.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2009, 11:28:27 pm »

He'll die alone.

My mum will too I reckon.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:43 pm »
i can see that.

The Irish phrase is "is ait amach an tsaoil", which doesn't really translate but roughly, life is odd.

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:47 am »
Good Luck Harvest mate. Get yourself a playstation 3 and the new call of duty. You won't need alcohol then! :) But seriously, hope you can kick it in, if i was you i'd go for the full 0 drinks at any time to start with because 1 beer leads to another etc.. etc.. You, and only you can do this, persistance, perseverance and most of all some resistance to the tempation.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2009, 12:21:01 pm »
seems fucked up eh. but there are more important things to worry bout. hes blood. shes a good person. was my fault she felt the need to move along. shes better off with him and thats all that matters. i beat him up a few times over it, and very badly, but after an incidence at home i realised that there is so much more to worry about than shit like that. forgive and make everyones life better. im not bitter. it eats at you. which would have been a reason for the drinking as well. fuck me, im eastenders in one package lol.

I know its a cheesy cliche but here goes:

"To err is human; to forgive is divine".

I dunno that I would be able to do so but fair play to you for looking forward not backwards.

How's the cutting down booze going since the recent blip on the radar?

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:21 pm »
Hello mate,

Sorry to hear you went on a binge. But, if you're gonna binge make it a good 'un and it sounds a blinder  ;D

How's the cutting down booze going

As I said to you before this is where your problem is. The belief that you can cut down and control it. You cant and your latest fuck up is another example. Gotta give it up or this will always happen. You're not in control. Never will be and you're kidding yourself if you think you can.

Without appearing to be harsh, you have to give it up completely or every couple of months you will have another addition to the thread  :wave
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:14 pm »
Hello mate,

Sorry to hear you went on a binge. But, if you're gonna binge make it a good 'un and it sounds a blinder  ;D

As I said to you before this is where your problem is. The belief that you can cut down and control it. You cant and your latest fuck up is another example. Gotta give it up or this will always happen. You're not in control. Never will be and you're kidding yourself if you think you can.

Without appearing to be harsh, you have to give it up completely or every couple of months you will have another addition to the thread  :wave

Anyone cutting out alcohol completely can end up having an alcoholic fit and never come out of it. I know it is a catch 22 situation but any doctor worth their salt will maintain anyone with a drink problem to get sobriety has to cut down on a gradual process.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »
Anyone cutting out alcohol completely can end up having an alcoholic fit and never come out of it. I know it is a catch 22 situation but any doctor worth their salt will maintain anyone with a drink problem to get sobriety has to cut down on a gradual process.

Yes, I know. But, that isn't the issue here.

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2009, 01:55:30 pm »
Well why say he has to cut it out completely?
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:49 pm »
HF -

Like yer man said youve stumbled , thats all , yer only human and it must be so hard right now for you but do yer best to stay Positive as much as you can . Positive thoughts produce Positive results.
Keep at it and I assume you are getting proffesional help aswell , My Dad loves his drink , he isnt yer stereotypical drinker but he cannot go a day without one and I worry for him and his health , Its not a psycological thing either is it , its physical and its a battle but that battle CAN BE WON.
Believe in yerself and stay strong man.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2009, 02:22:09 pm »
Well why say he has to cut it out completely?

Because he is an alcholic.

I know what you're saying. But, he is past the stage of the DT's. He has cut down already to the extent of not drining every day. So, his body is prepared. It's not like he is going to go from daily dependance to nothing.

The reason he has to cut it out completely is because he doesn't control it. It controls him. He, like many is under the illusion that he'll only have a couple of drinks and that'll be it. But, it isn't 'cos he's not in control. Hence why he is an alchy as oppossed to a heavy drinker.

Some might argue that without the daily need he isn't an alcholic. Dont agree personally. Once it controls you, it's game over, whether that is daily drinking or twice weekly binging when two drinks turns into twenty.

One is too many and a hundreds not enough.

Offline jp2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2009, 02:34:36 am »
I went to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting last night for the first time. I'm a medical provider (not an alcoholic) and refer people to AA frequently...figured I should find out a bit more about the group. Also, a friend of mine is the local secretary.

I was under the impression that it was Christian in tone, and some chapters might be. This one wasn't - it was also the "Young People" group and most were 20-40. Everyone knew each other; a few group off and get dinner after the weekly meetings. It was intense, as you would imagine. People shared pretty shocking details of what their addiction to alcohol had done to them.

As far as efficacy, the results are mixed - but with alcoholics, this is to be expected. A large majority relapse multiple times under any form of treatment. But I do think that for certain types of people it's absolutely a great resource. Provides tools and a support system for anyone who wishes to quit drinking. Seems like getting a sponsor who matches up with yourself is pretty key.

Shorter version, keep AA in mind if you are serious about quitting drinking. A lot followed this plan at the beginning - resist the first drink and take it one day at a time.
We just spotted Chelsea our best player and pwned them at the Bridge.

Offline Troglodyte

• Cave dwelling Sun reader. That'll be the target demographic nailed then.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2009, 09:54:10 am »
The day when you'll be rolling on your bed wishing to die rather than facing the agony is the day you'll end your affair with the poison.

The above lines do not make sense?.Let me add sense then.

Engineering College , friends b'day , tons of booze. Beer, Vodka , whiskey , white rum, gin , Cheap wine, Breezer you name it.

After having consumed god knows how much amount of all that stuff. I had a marathon vomiting session lasting two days.couldn't even keep any medicine down. Any kind of food would result in me throwing up in 2 mins. I have been to hell and back, Think about it:I couldn't even hold down WATER. Head felt like a seriously abused punching bag and riding in a supercharged ferris wheel all the time.

Pure hell. was the last time for me. Nowadays the only thing i drink is Breezer and  a glass or two max. Whenever i see whiskey,rum etc i feel like throwing up. Just imagine that..
And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2009, 10:13:32 am »
Hey there HF, I think it's very important for you not to have a gun readily available. 

Get rid of that gun.

:lmao
I can't believe this

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2009, 10:35:19 am »
good luck mate.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:21 pm »
Still don't get the gun bit, did they find it and make you sign a form to have it destroyed?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2009, 02:46:02 pm »
i had it in my hand in my front room. i dont lock my front door. all i heard were male voices in my house.  as soon as i opened the front room door with gun in hand and realise its cops i throw it down. oh and its been de activated etc. not that that helps if u shove it in the face of a copper. i thought i was getting done over by yobs. kind of a them or me situation and i wasnt gonna go quietly. big mistake but the copper was good about it , ( after beating beaten black and blue and blinded by cs spray lol ). it was a dumb thing to do and an indicator of how stupid the drink is making me.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2009, 02:58:59 pm »
i had it in my hand in my front room. i dont lock my front door. all i heard were male voices in my house.  as soon as i opened the front room door with gun in hand and realise its cops i throw it down. oh and its been de activated etc. not that that helps if u shove it in the face of a copper. i thought i was getting done over by yobs. kind of a them or me situation and i wasnt gonna go quietly. big mistake but the copper was good about it , ( after beating beaten black and blue and blinded by cs spray lol ). it was a dumb thing to do and an indicator of how stupid the drink is making me.

How's it gone since then mate?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 22, 2009, 03:05:39 pm »
i cant say well. i cut drinking down to evenings only IF i want a drink. a bottle of cider that would last me 3-4 hours can go 2-3 days. rare but it has lol. with the christmas period coming up and being a long way from my family etc its gonna be a tough one. im sure ill get pissed. cant see how i would be able to not drink. but thats something im prepared for lol.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #235 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:41 pm »
i cant say well. i cut drinking down to evenings only IF i want a drink. a bottle of cider that would last me 3-4 hours can go 2-3 days. rare but it has lol. with the christmas period coming up and being a long way from my family etc its gonna be a tough one. im sure ill get pissed. cant see how i would be able to not drink. but thats something im prepared for lol.

If you can't say it's going well without any help I think it's time you started to look for help, in the form of AA meetings. With the help of other people, and those who are going through the same thing, you might be able to find the mental strength to lay off the booze

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »
If you can't say it's going well without any help I think it's time you started to look for help, in the form of AA meetings. With the help of other people, and those who are going through the same thing, you might be able to find the mental strength to lay off the booze

you know what. i know you are right. i just have this pathetic ego shit going thinking that ive lost if i need help. im a man. i should be able to do this on my own.  you know what i mean?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #237 on: November 22, 2009, 03:26:40 pm »
you know what. i know you are right. i just have this pathetic ego shit going thinking that ive lost if i need help. im a man. i should be able to do this on my own.  you know what i mean?

Yeh I know, but you're human also and ever single human being needs help for one thing or another. You're no different to me, except that you need help with an alcohol problem and I need help with other problems. Go to one meeting, give it a chance, you never know how you'll feel unless you try it. To also help, think of how much extra cash you'll have when you're not spending it on drink all the time ;)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #238 on: November 22, 2009, 11:20:32 pm »
The day when you'll be rolling on your bed wishing to die rather than facing the agony is the day you'll end your affair with the poison.

Engineering College , friends b'day , tons of booze. Beer, Vodka , whiskey , white rum, gin , Cheap wine, Breezer you name it.

After having consumed god knows how much amount of all that stuff. I had a marathon vomiting session lasting two days.couldn't even keep any medicine down. Any kind of food would result in me throwing up in 2 mins. I have been to hell and back, Think about it:I couldn't even hold down WATER. Head felt like a seriously abused punching bag and riding in a supercharged ferris wheel all the time.

Pure hell. was the last time for me. Nowadays the only thing i drink is Breezer and  a glass or two max. Whenever i see whiskey,rum etc i feel like throwing up. Just imagine that..

Oh dear. You got really drunk once and had a two day hangover. I think you're in the wrong thread.

Offline Kerant

• Hertha Berlin Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #239 on: November 22, 2009, 11:35:07 pm »

::)

Jesus Christ, you had one rough session and you've "been to hell and back". Ridiculous post.

I had alcohol poisoning about 2 years ago which was like having a hangover for about 2 weeks straight, but I wouldn't say that was like "hell", and I was seriously bad.

As long as you are careful with how much you drink (and how often) then you don't have to completely avoid alcohol (in my opinion anyway).

Ignore the post by Troglodyte, as he's clearly a massive drama queen. Good luck with everything.