Author Topic: The Real Bill Shankly  (Read 17296 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The Real Bill Shankly
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:55:53 am »
We think we know Bill Shankly, we've voraciously read everything we could on the great man. Well now we have an inside track on the manager who shaped our great club. Compiled by his granddaughter Karen Gill (and daughter of RAWK poster vicgill), "The Real Bill Shankly" provides a fascinating insight into the mind of this unique character through the recollections of the fans, players and his family.

The book includes marvellous photography from the archive collection of the Liverpool Daily Post and Echo and is officially endorsed by Liverpool FC. It's published by Trinity Mirror Sport Media and will be launched on September 29th to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the great man's death.

The book (ISBN: 1905266138) is available for order in advance of its official launch at Anfield:

order from Amazon

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:26:57 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline veritas1616

• Anny Roader
Re: The Real Bill Shankly
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:06:11 am »
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.

What a man! Thanks for posting Rushian. This book is going to be a must read for every Red who is interested in the greatest motivator the game has ever seen.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:28:28 am »
As with know from his contribution to RAWK, Karen's father, Vic, is a top bloke, and this book by his daughter promises to be a great read.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:36:44 am »
cant wait, cannot read enough about the great man, and this from a whole new pespective.
Good luck with sales Karen, nice to see the club officially endorse.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 11:41:44 am »
cant wait, cannot read enough about the great man, and this from a whole new pespective.
Good luck with sales Karen, nice to see the club officially endorse.
that's the exciting part,we've all read loads on Shankly,but this will give a totaly different angle.can't wait to be honest
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline delf44

• Kemlynite
  • 5 TIMES
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:28:02 pm »
I searched for this book on play.com, but the cover is different. Does anyone know if it's the same book? It also says it's out now.

http://play.com/Books/Books/4-/993109/-/Product.html?searchstring=The+Real+Bill+Shankly+
Ours to keep

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 09:18:23 pm »
I searched for this book on play.com, but the cover is different. Does anyone know if it's the same book? It also says it's out now.

http://play.com/Books/Books/4-/993109/-/Product.html?searchstring=The+Real+Bill+Shankly+

That's the right book.

Offline calleythered

• no identity anymore...just Archies dad
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • not quite a purple bin, more maroon like....
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 09:41:38 am »
]

[/quote]

my favourite quote of all time.
we aplogise for our temporary dip in success however we are pleased to announce that normal service has been resumed.

Offline Boston-Sox

• He's a Yankee Doodle Dandy...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 02:00:33 pm »
Cant wait for the book to come out as a supporter who had the great pleasure of meeting the great man on a train journey from london  just after he retired.it was in the days when Liverpool players travelled home by train after the game.They had a carriage to themselves and shanks was with them but he wanted to talk to tjhe fans so came talking to a few of us ha sat opposit me and when the tea trolley came round bought me a cup of tea. we spent about 30 mins talking and he gave me a signed photo and gave a few of us invites to go round to his house someday.to my dying day i will regret not going.It was the saddest day of my life barring my fathers death  when he died .God bless you Bill may you and bob and the 96 angels rest in peace forever.YNWA

Offline xabialonso05

• Kopite
  • 5X
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 09:32:18 pm »
cant wait to read this book!! 
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."   -    Bob Paisley

Offline Boston-Sox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 04:23:05 pm »
really looking forward to buying this book :)

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 05:19:58 pm »
Should be a great read. Gonna pre order soon.

-------------------

You can pre-order "The Real Bill Shankly" and forge a modern link with the great man. Every pre-order will receive a "Bill Shankly Certificate of Fan Passion" that you can personalise with your own name or that of any Liverpudlian who has inspired you to follow the Reds. That might be your father, your grandfather or a personal friend.

Karen Gill and the Shankly family will be proud if these certificates are framed and hung wherever Liverpudlians gather as a symbol of the incredible relationship between Shanks and the supporters.

---------------------------

Take it these are sent out with the books?
RAWK Premier League Prediction Champion 08, 09
RAWK European Prediction Cup Champion 09/10

Offline Boston-Sox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 08:36:43 am »
Bought the book yesterday its an excellent read its well worth the £20 a lot of hard work has gone into it.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 08:45:09 am »
Released today, hope it arrives tomorrow
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Bill_D

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 10:55:03 pm »
Just finished it. A great read, what a remarkable man he was.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 10:02:45 pm »

On behalf of my daughter I would like to thank you all for your support, especially Rushian, the book is really doing well, thank you and we hope you all have a very happy christmas and a healthy and happy new year
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 10:12:59 pm »
Its a great book. I would highly recommend it to all reds fans. It gives a facinating insight not just to the great man, but the way football was run in those days.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 09:51:25 pm »
Got a copy of Gerrards autobiog yesterday, went to Borders at Speke this morning to try and exchange it for this, sold out. :(

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 04:31:56 pm »
Got a copy of Gerrards autobiog yesterday, went to Borders at Speke this morning to try and exchange it for this, sold out. :(
I've got both of them. The Shankly one is fantastic, I haven't looked at the Gerrard one yet..

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 07:21:51 pm »
Got it for Christmas :)

Looks brilliant

Offline Dragonshadow

• Needs to work on his grovelling.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 04:49:34 pm »
Got it for Christmas, it's fantastic!! Shankly really was an unbelivable man. I haven't been able to put the book down yet - my other half gets annoyed cos I'm reading while she's trying to talk to me about important things like dinner - and I'm ignoring her! Who wants to eat when you can be engrossed in Shankly's world?!
"The supporters here are amazing, I am very happy, they give me a lot of support and we try always like Bill Shankly said to make people happy"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:20 am »
Just finished reading it.  Absolutely loved every minute of it.  Many happy memories, many different stories with repetative themes that just confirm once again that the man is a legend as a man as well as a manager.  The deign of it with the newspaper reports at the side was a bit strange, but I just read all the middle bits, then went back to the reports and ended up thinking it was a great way to present it.  I recommend it to everyone.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline jonesyb

• How many cans of Efes would it take to fill 5 European Cups?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • I'll have one more then I'm going on the piss!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 07:07:40 pm »
looking forward to reading me new bible.Thanks for letting us
know Rushian.
"what d'ye mean ye broke yer leg? Thats Liverpool's bloody leg"
Shankly to Tommy Smith

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 09:56:10 am »
I decided to wait till Xmas to get this excellent book as a prezzie.
Brilliant, I read all the text and looked at most of the wonderful pic's straight away of course.

But only yesterday I realised I had contributed to it when I finally looked properly at the pics on page 209.  I'm so proud ! Thanks Karen & those who did the photo editing !!

Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:21:30 am by nige »

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 08:46:50 pm »
I heard just this week that the pubishers are producing a paper back version and it will be out in September, will let you know the exact date
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 03:10:00 am »
brilliant, can't wait to get a copy...

Lemmo...
t.i.m...

Offline lizly

• Boys Pen
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 07:06:38 am »
Hi everyone.My name's Karen Gill.I'm the proud granddaughter of Bill Shankly and daughter of Vic Gill.Some of you may have read my book "The Real Bill Shankly" and some of you will even have contributed to it with your amazing memories of my granddad.I would just like to thank all of you for being the people who make Liverpool Football Club really special and I am now beginning to understand Bill Shankly's love affair with the Liverpool supporters.You really are the best in the world.Thanks once again to you all. Karen

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 02:28:01 am »
I have read the book andit really gave me an onsight to the things i didnt already know about the great man himself, Karen you have really opened my eyes and i cant thank you enough, i thank you once again!!!
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 10:08:22 am »
 :wave :wave

hello lizly...

I have sent you a personal message,

you can certainly be proud of such a fine grandfather so well revered and respected by thousands even now and will be forevermore...

he  just did a great job the only way he knew, and the results have been seen over the past 40 odd years...

I hope there is a Shankly stand in the new stadium...I'm sure there will be..

take care Karen..

Lemmo...
t.i.m...

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 05:55:58 pm »
Hi Karen :)

It's a great read the book :wave

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 08:33:45 pm »
I might as well ask in here as well then just in case, if anyone has any stories that you haven't already sent me then i'd be very grateful if you could email them to me at therealbillshankly@hotmail.com

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far :thumbup
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 10:58:19 pm »
I might as well ask in here as well then just in case, if anyone has any stories that you haven't already sent me then i'd be very grateful if you could email them to me at therealbillshankly@hotmail.com

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far :thumbup

Could someone draw me a family tree of your lot. Very confused.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007, 12:24:33 am »
Could someone draw me a family tree of your lot. Very confused.

I am Karens dad, Dave (Bill Hicks apreciation Society) is my nephew (My Brothers son) which makes him karens cousin.  hope that clears it up for you   ::)

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2007, 11:21:52 am »
 :wave

Hello Vic, Bill & Karen...

Lemmo here, where does the great man himself fit in then...?  ;D

Long Live The King..
t.i.m...

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 01:27:53 pm »
:wave

Hello Vic, Bill & Karen...

Lemmo here, where does the great man himself fit in then...?  ;D

Long Live The King..

Mr Shankly was my Father in Law, Karen is his Grandaughter
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=115020.0

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 02:38:22 pm »
any excuse for a bump eh Unc :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 03:14:40 pm »
Thanks Vic & Bill...

I'll bet you guys have a million happy memories that we mere mortals can only dream about...

I have heard so many stories from fans who met Bill Shankly on trains and trips away and he showed kindness and generosity which belies his Scottish heritage..

I am proud to have met him on several occasions at Anfield and at some away grounds, I was at Stoke City once and had lost my tickets, he saw me near the players entrance (I must have looked distressed...) and he asked "What's up laddie...?" as they got off the coach and he said  "Come on with me..." and me & my mate walked through the players entrance and out onto the pitch where he told a steward to fix up these two lads...Wow, what a fantastic man he was and truly deserves his legendary status amopngst the millions of fans around the world...

RIP Shanks and thanks...

Lemmo...
t.i.m...

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2007, 03:40:50 pm »
any excuse for a bump eh Unc :)

Cheeky sod, I was just trying to help the lad out

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 03:46:36 pm »
"Cheeky sod, I was just trying to help the lad out"...

thanks Vic, it's a long time since I was called a lad... :o ::)

Lemmo... ;D ;D

t.i.m...

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2007, 07:50:04 pm »
hope that clears it up for you   ::)

;D
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER