Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399673 times)

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2080 on: January 3, 2019, 10:48:48 pm »
Couple of things to draw from tonight I think.

It was a real 'stick or twist' moment and it just felt like Klopp went for 'stick' in that first half. Went with the old guard, the tried and trusted, and reverted to the arrangement of the front three that ran all over teams last season. I love those three midfielders we started with but it's now time to be honest if we're going to make the jump to truly elite level - there's only room for two of them at one time if, and by that I mean Gini plus one other. Fabinho and Keita have been signed for a combined c£100m, and that is to influence games like this. We've found such a fluid formula again in recent weeks, and I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Fabinho in these games now going forward. Would we have gone with that midfield three if we needed a win rather than defending a seven point lead? Who knows. This is intended as no big criticism of them, all of them have been great for LFC and will continue to contribute massively to this title push, but together? We need to move on to other combinations, and again, that includes one or two of them.

That said, if we had won tonight to go four points clear the media and pundits would be in overdrive hailing this as a significant lead at this stage of the season. We need to remember this - four points remains significant and at least needs the pack to reverse a couple of our results without reply. We've had a wonderful run and we are capable of doing it again.

Brighton becomes significant, all the great sides down the years have reacted in the right way and I've got every belief this group of players will do the same.
This is the key and I think its how we respond to this which will decide whether or not we win the title. Last year we followed two heavy defeats early in the season with two impressive unbeaten runs and although we didn't come close to winning it that year we must try and do that if we're to maintain our lead. To be honest , I was looking forward to the break from the league football to the more relaxed  atmosphere of the fa cup but now its quite annoying to have to wait so long to see our response and we'll have this result hanging over our heads for week and half before we can go to Brighton.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2081 on: January 3, 2019, 10:49:18 pm »
It would be nice to cruise to a title though!
Was never going to happen mate, even if we’d won.

Might just ease a bit of pressure in a strange way, the pressure of that zero in the L column. Got it out of the way now and that 1 loss was to a fantastic side, 8pm kick off as well so there was a bit of atmosphere for a change. Never ever going to be easy and no disgrace in losing 2-1 and giving them a hell of a game in the process. We’re all gutted because with a little run of the ball we still have that zero. But Klopp will get their heads back up. It’s what he does.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2082 on: January 3, 2019, 10:56:56 pm »
We have 54 points after 21 games. That is equivalent to almost 98 points over a season. We just need to put this defeat behind us and do what we have done all season. We’re top of the league with 4 points and have played most of the difficult games already. The loss hurts, but I’d taken this postion after 21 games all day every day if offered at the start of the season.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 10:59:04 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #2083 on: January 3, 2019, 10:57:04 pm »
Anyway, here's what we're facing (discounting FA Cup and Champions League):
  • Brighton
  • Crystal Palace
  • Leicester
  • West Ham
  • Bournemouth
  • Man United

here's what they are facing:
  • Wolverhampton
  • Huddersfield
  • Newcastle
  • Arsenal
  • Chelsea
  • Everton

Let's hope we can get maximum points up until the ManU game (and, hopefully, smash them fuckers) and that Wolverhampton, Arsenal and Chelsea can somehow take points off ManCity. I don't trust Huddersfield, Newcastle (sorry Rafa, but your players are shite) or our bitter blue neighbors at all, so I'm not keeping my hopes up for any of them.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2084 on: January 3, 2019, 11:04:48 pm »
City always have a bit of a tough time against Everton.

Highly doubt it but they could take points off them and get a draw, Chelsea need a striker but defensively are decent so could hold them as well.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2085 on: January 3, 2019, 11:06:48 pm »
City always have a bit of a tough time against Everton.

Highly doubt it but they could take points off them and get a draw, Chelsea need a striker but defensively are decent so could hold them as well.

There is no chance, they'll fix. It also wont be in their next 6 as it's the game that gets moved when they beat Burton to make the cup final so that's even worse as it'll probably end up in April or something.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #2086 on: January 3, 2019, 11:07:09 pm »
  • Brighton
  • Crystal Palace
  • Leicester
  • West Ham
  • Bournemouth
  • Man United

• Wolverhampton
  • Huddersfield
  • Newcastle
  • Arsenal
  • Chelsea
  • Everton

Let's hope we can get maximum points up until the ManU game (and, hopefully, smash them fuckers) and that Wolverhampton, Arsenal and Chelsea can somehow take points off ManCity. I don't trust Huddersfield, Newcastle (sorry Rafa, but your players are shite) or our bitter blue neighbors at all, so I'm not keeping my hopes up for any of them.

Exactly what I’m thinking.

We have 5 very winnable games, and it’s important to find our form again against Brighton in convincing fashion.

City have 3 very winnable games and then who knows what happens against the 2 London teams.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: January 3, 2019, 11:07:31 pm »
City have conceded at least a goal in the last 11 games.

If that continues to happen, they will always be a good chance to drop points.

We just need to capitalise again when that happens.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2088 on: January 3, 2019, 11:08:10 pm »
There is no chance, they'll fix. It also wont be in their next 6 as it's the game that gets moved when they beat Burton to make the cup final so that's even worse as it'll probably end up in April or something.

Doesn’t matter when the games are, point being that there are still teams that can take points off them.

Upto us to capitalise. They’ve won nothing and we’ve lost nothing yet. Still in our hands.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2089 on: January 3, 2019, 11:08:51 pm »
Doesn’t matter when the games are, point being that there are still teams that can take points off them.

Upto us to capitalise. They’ve won nothing and we’ve lost nothing yet. Still in our hands.

Yes there are plenty of teams, Everton won't be one of them though. But hopefully the bookies think like you as it was a money tree last time they were match fixing.

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2090 on: January 3, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
City have conceded at least a goal in the last 11 games.

If that continues to happen, they will always be a good chance to drop points.

We just need to capitalise again when that happens.

i.e, win games. Which our next run of fixtures suggests we can, if we return with the correct mindset.

Can't wait for it to start again!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2091 on: January 3, 2019, 11:09:32 pm »
I'd have bit your bollocks off to be in this position 3 weeks ago
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2092 on: January 3, 2019, 11:10:14 pm »
I’m not saying we can’t do it but that 4 point lead might not be enough. Crazy looking title race now, spurs will still feel in it. Us going clear would have been a massive psychological edge

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2093 on: January 3, 2019, 11:10:36 pm »
Need to keep beating the bottom 14. Need to more or less match what City do in United Away and Chelsea and Spurs at home. Could really do without the usual game raising twats like Hazard and Mata deciding to turn it on against us.

Still in the driving seat.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2094 on: January 3, 2019, 11:10:46 pm »
I'd have bit your bollocks off to be in this position 3 weeks ago

Yep, given how mental our december was I thought we'd go there maybe slightly behind and having to avoid defeat to stay in it. 4 points up when we pretty much have the same fixtures remaining, I love a bit of that.

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #2095 on: January 3, 2019, 11:12:45 pm »
  • Brighton
  • Crystal Palace
  • Leicester
  • West Ham
  • Bournemouth
  • Man United

• Wolverhampton
  • Huddersfield
  • Newcastle
  • Arsenal
  • Chelsea
  • Everton

Yeah I hadn't really looked much at their future fixtures as it felt like everything led up to this game but now looking at it with a clear head having calmed down a bit from the match its obvious that we've got the easier games coming up and for me any talk of city being favourites after this game is just not true. Sure this a setback but we've still got it in our hands.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2096 on: January 3, 2019, 11:18:10 pm »
I hope everyone feels that they're the favorites after tonight

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2097 on: January 3, 2019, 11:20:49 pm »
Their game v Everton is likely to be postponed as it’s League Cup Final weekend. Does that normally get moved to the following midweek? Probably better if it does, rather than let them play Everton in April with everything in the line. Gives us a chance to get more points on the board though.

On reflection having a break til the next League game is probably a good thing for Klopp and the players but I want to play Brighton now and get that win that will settle everyone down again.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2098 on: January 3, 2019, 11:29:25 pm »
Way I see it we need 96/97 points to be certain of the league. We can afford to drop another 8/9 points to get there.

City would need to get 47 out of 51 points to get to 97. Not impossible but I’d expect them to drop one or two more points than that.

Our target should be 42/43 points from the next 51 available. 13 or 14 wins out of 17.

On we go...
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 11:31:36 pm by Studgotelli »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2099 on: January 3, 2019, 11:30:32 pm »
Wolves,Chelsea in coming weeks I'm expecting them to drop points there. Maybe arsenal can get a point if they can learn how to defend in the mean-time.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #2100 on: January 3, 2019, 11:35:51 pm »
Wolves,Chelsea in coming weeks I'm expecting them to drop points there. Maybe arsenal can get a point if they can learn how to defend in the mean-time.

Are we able to loan them VVD for one game!?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2101 on: January 3, 2019, 11:37:55 pm »
We just concentrate on Brighton, they still have to worry about us more than we worry about them. Although we lost it did not feel like previous games where we were pinned back. Two moments of brilliant finishing and a fantastic clearance were what seperated us, little else.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2102 on: January 3, 2019, 11:39:53 pm »
Think they'll beat all 3 of Wolves, Arsenal and Chelsea at home, and I wouldn't even dream of Everton taking anything off them. United, at a big push, maybe at Old Trafford.

I don't think they'll win 17 straight games but I can't see there being anymore than 2/3 games that they don't win. The fact they lost to Palace and Leicester still fucking shocks me. Again, I don't think they're as unstoppable as some make out but quite simply if they play to a decent level I'd fancy them to beat pretty much anybody. It's why a win tonight would have been killer, because quite literally if they'd have lost another one, it'd take a genuine fucking catastrophe for us not to go and win it. 1 loss in 21 and it feels to me we're basically neck and neck at 4 points difference.

That being said I'm confident in our own ability to go on another great run ourselves. Any other results go our way in terms of City/Spurs and we'll take whatever we can.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2103 on: January 3, 2019, 11:46:51 pm »
Huddersfield away for them is a strange one. We found it really tough there. One of our toughest away games this season.

Huddersfield held them to 0-0 until the last minute in the home fixture last season too. Then you look at there position in the table and they look awful. Strange one but maybe it could be a tricky game. They can defend well at times.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: January 3, 2019, 11:49:19 pm »
We need to go on a five game winning run before the Utd away game. Hopefully the crap West Ham turn up rather than the decent one. Brighton will be a bit tough too but we should win that to be honest. Not a lot of quality in their side.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2105 on: January 3, 2019, 11:51:05 pm »
Huddersfield away for them is a strange one. We found it really tough there. One of our toughest away games this season.

Huddersfield held them to 0-0 until the last minute in the home fixture last season too. Then you look at there position in the table and they look awful. Strange one but maybe it could be a tricky game. They can defend well at times.

Their best defender, think he’s one of the Pet Shop Boys, was sent off last night so might be suspended for that game.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2106 on: January 3, 2019, 11:53:13 pm »
We were never going to win the title by winning every game and wrapping it up by the middle of February. Whether we can win the title has always been about how we respond when we finally get beaten. As people are rightly pointing out we have some nice (on paper) fixtures ahead and a chance to extend the lead once more. We've lost a bit of momentum tonight but we are still in the best position we've been in god knows how long and we've got an outstanding team.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 11:56:15 pm by alonsoisared »

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2107 on: January 3, 2019, 11:54:47 pm »
With 21 league games played, we've conceded more than 1 goal in... 1 game

Honestly, it was shit to lose tonight but we've been brilliant this season and the above sentence says it all

Klopp will want to ensure we bounce back from this straight away and City have a tough next game with Wolves to beat, we're the only top 6 side to have actually beat them so far this season. There's a long way to go yet

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2108 on: January 3, 2019, 11:55:22 pm »
Here we are, with all our problems, sitting at the top of the league.

We are still fucking doing this, regardless of the outcome tonight.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2109 on: January 4, 2019, 12:00:08 am »
Their game v Everton is likely to be postponed as it’s League Cup Final weekend. Does that normally get moved to the following midweek? Probably better if it does, rather than let them play Everton in April with everything in the line. Gives us a chance to get more points on the board though.

On reflection having a break til the next League game is probably a good thing for Klopp and the players but I want to play Brighton now and get that win that will settle everyone down again.

Unfortunately the midweek immediately after the league cup final is a full premier league programme. They’re at home to West Ham. So that Everton game will be played some other time, it will depend on their respective FA cup progress how late in the season that game is played.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2110 on: January 4, 2019, 12:03:51 am »
Unfortunately the midweek immediately after the league cup final is a full premier league programme. They’re at home to West Ham. So that Everton game will be played some other time, it will depend on their respective FA cup progress how late in the season that game is played.

That’s a shame. Although the point about it being a chance to build that lead further still stands.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2111 on: January 4, 2019, 12:04:44 am »
No one is talking about Spurs, that will suit them. I don't think they can be discounted quite yet.

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #2112 on: January 4, 2019, 12:05:04 am »
Its the fucking media which makes us feel like we're always one loss away from a crisis. Whenever a team at the top loses no matter how good an opponent they were facing a nd they always make it seem like its inevitable that they'll probably ending up not winning the league.

We were never gonna go unbeaten (or at least it was very unlikely) and only 2 teams have done it in the history of the football league but in case we've all forgotten, they've already lost 3 and are currently four points behind.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2113 on: January 4, 2019, 12:06:06 am »
No one is talking about Spurs, that will suit them. I don't think they can be discounted quite yet.

If they’re to win it they’ll probably have to take 4, probably 6 points from their trips to us and City.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2114 on: January 4, 2019, 12:07:47 am »
If they’re to win it they’ll probably have to take 4, probably 6 points from their trips to us and City.

They'll need 6 I reokon, you never know though.

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: January 4, 2019, 12:07:54 am »
Here we are, with all our problems, sitting at the top of the league.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline austinj95

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2116 on: January 4, 2019, 12:13:38 am »
Don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be getting 15 points from our next 5 games. We have played all the top 6 apart from united away. Things never work out exactly how they are planned and anyone thinking we would win it with 105 points is deluded. Champions lose games, no need for a meltdown because we have narrowly lost our most difficult league game all year.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #2117 on: January 4, 2019, 12:26:35 am »
Before the game last night I was doing some mental gymnastics in my head, much like our Evertonian brothers do. We were a point ahead of City going into it, and if we lost we went 4 up, if we drew we went 7 up and if we won we went 10 up.

Either way, we were still clear at the top. It is ours to lose.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2118 on: January 4, 2019, 12:28:56 am »
Feels like the equivalent of being 2 up in a match, missing a chance to make it 3 and then being hauled back to 2-1. When that’s happened this season we’ve seeen the games out. Shows we have a strong mentality.

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #2119 on: January 4, 2019, 12:40:27 am »
Feels like the equivalent of being 2 up in a match, missing a chance to make it 3 and then being hauled back to 2-1. When that’s happened this season we’ve seeen the games out. Shows we have a strong mentality.
Not a bad analogy actually