Author Topic: Purslow  (Read 56290 times)

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
Re: Purslow
« Reply #280 on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:29 pm »
Because he undermined the manager by speaking with the players (Gerrard and Carra...we all had knowledge of that and Rafa has confirmed it), giving them power that no players should ever have. Remember he was hired by the Yanks and the Yanks wanted Rafa gone. Purslow couldn't wait to get back to them and spill the beans. Not laughable on here anymore.

The Yanks wanted Rafa gone? is that why he was rewarded a new deal by Hicks?? Surely if they were desperate to get him out, they'd have held off offering such favourable terms.

Offline johnny_be_good

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:22 pm »
Christ almighty, the Benitez worshipping on here is trully scary and worrying.

I am terrified that Henry will bow to fan pressure and reappoint Rafa in the next couple of years.

I was hoping this could happen next season.

Offline Arthurs Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:30 pm »
To be extremely blunt, Rafa has had problems with authority many times in his managerial career.

At Valencia, he wanted more control than he was given. bear in mind, he had alot of success when he was in essence just a coach working under a sporting director.

He had problem with Rick Parry, who has also been vilified on here. Now he airs his beef with Purslow when he is the f*ckin Inter manager. Theres a pattern there. And most fans take his side come hell or high water.

Of course he is always careful to mention "the wonderful Liverpool fans" as sort of a disclaimer, so the majority on here still pander to him.

And what did the VALENCIA CHAIRMAN say, he would bring Rafa back as soon as he could. Forget the exact quote but you get the drift. We have had the best manager in 20 years so I suppose most of us would want him back. Plus the Champions League winners wanted him and signed him at a cost of 6m to us...work it out mate.

Offline Arthurs Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »
The Yanks wanted Rafa gone? is that why he was rewarded a new deal by Hicks?? Surely if they were desperate to get him out, they'd have held off offering such favourable terms.

Hicks wanted him gone but couldn't after we came in 2nd. Purslow and the 7th position last year was the ammunition he wanted. Purslow was only to glad to go to work on him.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #284 on: October 19, 2010, 04:55:51 pm »
Need to clean this club up.  Yes, Purslow got rid of the two Yanks and brought in the new owners but his role is up.  Now it is a time for change and wipe the slate clean. 

For all you Rafa haters, remember, he brought us success until the Americans came and screwed it all up.  We were 2nd in the league until the luck left us - injuries and a beach ball for example, cost us the league. 
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56:46 pm »
Not a Rafa-worshipper, or a Rafa-pologist, or whatever the word is for that now, but it's clear that Purslow has no business being at the club making footballing decisions, making friends in the dressing room, offering players contracts. He needs to now disappear behind the scenes, making only  business decisions,  if he's to remain at the club.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »
I like Purslow, he fought hard to get those clowns out and he seems to really care about getting the best for the club. He got it wrong with Hodgson but he appointed him for the right reasons.

Could you give us a clue as to what those reasons were?
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Mello

• Anny Roader
« Reply #287 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »
To be extremely blunt, Rafa has had problems with authority many times in his managerial career.

At Valencia, he wanted more control than he was given. bear in mind, he had alot of success when he was in essence just a coach working under a sporting director.

He had problem with Rick Parry, who has also been vilified on here. Now he airs his beef with Purslow when he is the f*ckin Inter manager. Theres a pattern there. And most fans take his side come hell or high water.

Of course he is always careful to mention "the wonderful Liverpool fans" as sort of a disclaimer, so the majority on here still pander to him.

No, we should obviously have sacked the best manager we had for years, with no competent replacement seemingly available, because he won't bow down to the suits that were undermining him.  That's an outstanding way to run a football club.  FFS.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
Just finished watching the Rafa interview at Echo website.

What a travesty.

Sure, there has been, and still is, a lot of politics and sh*te floating around, and sure, Rafa knows his politics.

But when you look at his body language while answering to this question, I have no reason to doubt the things he said.

God I miss him.

What. A. Fucking. Travesty.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #289 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:59 pm »

I am terrified that Henry will bow to fan pressure and reappoint Rafa in the next couple of years.

Istanbul was a memorable time in our history but we have got to get over the past and move on. Seriously.

Whatever happened to the most knowledgable fans in football? It seems any slight on Rafa is met with some abuse about media vendettas and figures of net spend per year which although they may be true, fail to disguise the fact that we have had some terrible dealings in the transfer market under Rafa.

And as bad a good old Roy does, it will only make Rafa's star grow higher. Move on already.

We've moved on - unfortuantely as a result we've ended up with Roy. The 'Benitez worshipping' as you call it is no where near as scary and worrying as the Benitez bashing was last season - since that directly contributed to the situation we find ourselves in now, which is somewhere very scary and worrying.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2010, 04:59:00 pm »
Incredibly myopic. Do you not remember the snakes publicly courting Klinsmann as Rafa's replacement?  You've clearly got an agenda that you're  busy pushing but please don't insult our intelligence or knowledge.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

They gave him the new contract and then paid for it out the transfer kitty along with players signing new contracts the kitty dissapeared once again.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2010, 05:03:26 pm »
Whatever happened to the most knowledgable fans in football? It seems any slight on Rafa is met with some abuse about media vendettas and figures of net spend per year which although they may be true, fail to disguise the fact that we have had some terrible dealings in the transfer market under Rafa.

Funny you should ask. If you're so knowledgeable you should know that most of the players that Rafa actually wanted, we didn't get, because after all the negotiations he had done, there suddenly was no money at the end. He had to fall back on his lesser choices which you call terrible dealings. Point me to one single manager in the entire known premier league that doesn't have a signing which didn't work out.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2010, 05:04:43 pm »
Not a Rafa-worshipper, or a Rafa-pologist, or whatever the word is for that now, but it's clear that Purslow has no business being at the club making footballing decisions, making friends in the dressing room, offering players contracts. He needs to now disappear behind the scenes, making only  business decisions,  if he's to remain at the club.

Sorry, once you've done something like Purslow has, his position is untenable.  He has to go.  Can't be undermining the manager and getting cosy with the players.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »

More knowledgeable I see. So knowledgeable that you can twist the facts to put everything out of context and selectively ignore everything else that was happening.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2010, 05:06:06 pm »
Funny you should ask. If you're so knowledgeable you should know that most of the players that Rafa actually wanted, we didn't get, because after all the negotiations he had done, there suddenly was no money at the end. He had to fall back on his lesser choices which you call terrible dealings. Point me to one single manager in the entire known premier league that doesn't have a signing which didn't work out.

I smell a WUM

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »

Istanbul was a memorable time in our history but we have got to get over the past and move on. Seriously.

And as bad a good old Roy does, it will only make Rafa's star grow higher. Move on already.

Dude where have you been? It will not be happy days until Rafa is back... At the moment I dont blame them with the clow we have as a manager. But the Rafa worship is indeed scary... And Rafa loves it as well and he keeps having a dig at the board...
The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »
Fucking hell, Rafa's legend just keeps on growing.  He made plenty of mistakes and if you can't think of 5 off the top of your head you haven't been paying attention.  Other people made mistakes too, Purslow being one of them, and the yanks being by far the most damaging, which I guess in the end falls on Parry and Moores.

Not a single man at this club can claim a shining record over the last few years but Purslow, Rafa, Ayres and Broughton are the ones responsible for finally shedding us of the 2 leaches and they deserve respect for that.  How come when you lot are on the Purslow hate bandwagon you always ignore the fact that it was a 5 man board who made the decision? You don't know how the vote went and you never will, so you make assumptions to fit how you want to see things.

If you ask me Purslow's biggest mistake was not the sacking of Rafa (which he is only partially responsible for in any case), it was the hiring of Hodgson when other candidates were out there, Kenny and Pellegrini being only two that we know wanted the job.

Agreed. In future, Purslow will presumably be kept out of footballing decisions anyway. Nobobdy knows what happened in the Board room, or why. I'm as big a fan of Rafa's work with the team and transfers as anyone, but there's good reason to believe he wasn't an easy person to work with. Whilst I'd have him back, I can't see the point in villifying Purslow. Purslow's here, and shown his commitment to the club. Rafa isn't here any more.

I see no reason to remove the guy if he's not making footballing decisions

Offline GeneticRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #298 on: October 19, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »
What Rafa was trying to say is that with Purslow, what you see is not what you get.
You see someone with a milk bottle, like John in the Wirral, you would assume its milk and nothing else.
Sir Rafa. You can bet Sly and the rest of the media will put no effort into actually trying to work out what he means and instead focus entirely on the 'madness' of Rafa as they once again feed the deluded masses more 'bitesized sensation' from their poisonous teat.

No actual analysis just more one-sided shite for the population to consume without having to think for themselves.

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 19, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »

No need to be scared.  :P  We've never been able to properly grieve Rafa leaving because we were in a fight for our life. Now the grieving can begin, we lost the manager who made us #1 in europe/the world, and part of that grieving is looking into the foolishness that weasled him out. In a sense, Rafa leaving was collateral damage in the war. Purslow is the unfinished business we had to shelve, until after the plague was gone. As JP-65 says, correctly I'm sure, Broughton was faced with needing purslow, so had to let Rafa go.

But it is only because of the utter mismanagement of the club in the first place, the power vacuum created by the two fuckers not communicating with each other, that Purslow, a man with zero football knowledge, was ever in a position to be in charge of football, a task we all know he is hopelessly wrong for.

As far as Kenny saying that Rafa's time was up, it was said after a couple of months I think, and I believe he was just trying to put salve on the wounds, to bring calm amidst the storm....and not that he particularly agreed with his sacking. I remember finding it quite helpful at the time. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »

Is correct

Offline Kenny Red

• Anny Roader
  • Don't park your tank on my lawn sunny jim
« Reply #301 on: October 19, 2010, 05:10:14 pm »
The way I see it is Rafa is spot on drawing our attention to the 'goings on' over the last 12-18 months. There ha been lots of chatter on the subject and this pretty much confirms what many of us have concluded already.

Ask your self this; Have you ever known so much spin, misinformation and blatant minipulation of the fan base as has gone on since Purslow arrived on the scene??

Yes the cancers lied, this is without doubt. But Purslow took it to new level, a level that Alistair Cambell would have been proud of.

The truth is whilst he should take credit for his actions in ousting the Cancers, he should not be trusted - ever. The sooner he goes the better. he brings nothing to the table in our current position with new owners, an his legacy of fan minipulation will always linger like a bad fart in a lift.

Thanks but there's the door, we only want to see you in anfield in the future as a paying fan like the rest of us
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:16:48 pm by Kenny Red »
Perception is nine tenths of reality

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: October 19, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
Is correct

Really? So your company managing director does not get involved with your day to day stuff? Excellent business mentality I see...

And if the managing director does not get involved with who hires/fires the staff of the company he runs then who does?

Who does Rafa report to? Or any other football manager.. Sorry not any other football manager as Rafa was above the law ... So please tell me who do football managers report to?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:14:36 pm by mariov77 »

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #303 on: October 19, 2010, 05:12:23 pm »

Every good manager has a problem or two with the board genius. Ofcourse Rafa is biased, he loved his job, the city and the love he got from us. He could've held on to the job if he didn't rock the boat too much, which he did not to pander his ego, but to throw the dead weight we had. He is still looking out for our interest, when clearly, he has no reason to do so.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 19, 2010, 05:13:02 pm »
If people do not think Purslow had wanted Rafa out, they are out of their mind.  The signs were all there. 

If Purslow did actively seek to undermine the manager - any manager, not only Rafa, and Rafa having a difficult season is no excuse for this - he has to go.  Of course Purslow also has shown a distinct lack of aptitude for footballing matters.  No doubt he is a man of talent and it's time he brings it to a more suited organization.

Did Rafa contribute to his own sacking?  Probably. For all talk about him being a political animal, he actually is not.  He's just one big single minded, stubborn man who relentlessly refused to back down on his football, or dare I say, his integrity.  Sometimes, however, survival require you to bend in order not to break.

But is he a victim?  Very much, coz he should NOT be sacked.  Make no mistake on this score. 

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #305 on: October 19, 2010, 05:14:36 pm »
I think there should be a balance

media and them are so anti-rafa and ridiculous that make rawkites worship rafa in response to show them off.
it should be that extreme in either ways.

Rafa was a great manager for us, he gave us wonderful nights, but he made a lot of mistakes too but not as much as media claim and we wish him good luck.
and he might come back here in a few years, we don't know. for now, get rid of Roy who has only given us misery

/thread

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 19, 2010, 05:17:51 pm »

media and them are so anti-rafa and ridiculous that make rawkites worship rafa in response to show them off.

Rafa was a great manager for us, he gave us wonderful nights, but he made a lot of mistakes too but not as much as media claim and we wish him good luck.

/thread

Excellent post indeed but the rawkites are too sensitivy about anything that media write about LFC ... They need to realise that every other football club fan say the opposite and say that Sky gives them shit all the time. If the media did not create friction it wouldnt sell when we people learn that. The media does not have an issue again any club all the care is about their pockets and some fans have fallen to their traps. And some manager know how to play them (Rafa , Mr Alex Ferguson) and some dont (Big Sam)...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:19:22 pm by mariov77 »

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #307 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:11 pm »

and he might come back here in a few years, we don't know. for now, get rid of Roy who has only given us misery

/thread

Agreed, but the middle ground is a lonely path on here.
Back to Purslow, this thread proves he needs to go, he a very controversial figure, we need a clean sweep and a manager we can unite behind.
As much as i "worshiped" him that manager is not Rafa at the moment
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:22 pm »
Not sure he did enough in his role to warrant a stay. He was brought in to help find new investment and he didn't do that well with that. Broughton and Ayres have both done well in their jobs however.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:23 pm »
Anyone be it Purslow or anyone else giving Roy Hodgson the Liverpool job needs fucking sacking on that decision alone.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:46 pm »
Really? So your company managing director does not get involved with your day to day stuff? Excellent business mentality I see...

And if the managing director does not get involved with who hires/fires the staff of the company he runs then who does?

Who does Rafa report to? Or any other football manager.. Sorry not any other football manager as Rafa was above the law ... So please tell me who do football managers report to?

A manager doesn't report to anyone per se, he works alongside like minded people, competent people, not people who hire Roy Hodgson because two players in the dressing room want an Englishman in charge.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 19, 2010, 05:21:04 pm »
Not sure he did enough in his role to warrant a stay. He was brought in to help find new investment and he didn't do that well with that. Broughton and Ayres have both done well in their jobs however.

How do you know that?  You are completely bias on the Rafa decision. This whole topic is... His job is the managing director  look up what that means in business terms!

A manager doesn't report to anyone per se, he works alongside like minded people, competent people, not people who hire Roy Hodgson because two players in the dressing room want an Englishman in charge.

Of course a manager does not report to anybody. Of course not... And Roy has nothing to do with it...

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #312 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:02 pm »
How do you know that?  You are completely bias on the Rafa decision. This whole topic is... His job is the managing director  look up what that means in business terms!

Think you have picked the wrong person to accuse of a Rafa love in there.
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline Arthurs Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #313 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:20 pm »

Rafa might report to him but he doesn't expect to be undermind by him at the same time. Especially someone that knows fuckall about the day to day in a football club.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #314 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »

Well if he did have authority on the football side, he's made a pretty piss poor job of it hasn't he....

Offline Zinc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • All Good, Clean Fun...(whatever that means)...
« Reply #315 on: October 19, 2010, 05:23:46 pm »
Anyone be it Purslow or anyone else giving Roy Hodgson the Liverpool job needs fucking sacking on that decision alone.

This.
twitter: @ampersandad

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 19, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »

I think there are a few of you on here, some mods included, who tend to throw about terms that encompass big chunks of people in a not so polite manner. It would be wise to examine your own levels of perspicuity and achievement before terms such as internet idiots and majority pander are thrown about. I believe there is more quality in people on average, that quite a number have actual ability to decently analyse given the opportunity. It's not a matter of a few bright sparks amid a sea of shite, however much you wish to believe in it.

There are quite a few who have followed different leagues before Rafa even started managing Valencia, might actually be conversant enough to follow different forums in different languages from different cultures of football. There are quite a few on here who are well placed to analyse Rafa, amongst other great European managers reasonably well, and don't go shouting from the rooftops of the many things they may know of, except than maybe 'he's quality'.

You have your ideas of him. Fine. Don't presume to judge how other people's views of him are influenced.   

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 19, 2010, 05:25:39 pm »

Actually, no decent MD of any sizeable organisation gets involved in day-day issues. And I'm of very firm ground here

Whether the MD gets involved in sacking the manager in a football club depends on their ability and experience to make the decision. Purslow didn't have that experience, and so shouldn't have sacked rafa unless his view was that rafa was blocking progress on something more important (i.e. the sale). Purslow could easily have deferred or at least referred to Kenny on Rafa's termination - in future there may be a DoF or equivalent who is able to make that call

Offline Milly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • JFT 96
« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2010, 05:26:51 pm »
If it means keeping reina and torres i'd show carra stevie purslow hodgson et al the fucking door...
Gerrard and his "prefered position" shite is doin my ed in... oh and take joe fucking cole with you too
"I want to play just behind the striker" reminds me of fucking school. over-rated engerlund internationals wot a load of wank
Smash it ??

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »
I think there are a few of you on here, some mods included, who tend to throw about terms that encompass big chunks of people in a not so polite manner. It would be wise to examine your own levels of perspicuity and achievement before terms such as internet idiots and majority pander are thrown about. I believe there is more quality in people on average, that quite a number have actual ability to decently analyse given the opportunity. It's not a matter of a few bright sparks amid a sea of shite, however much you wish to believe in it.

There are quite a few who have followed different leagues before Rafa even started managing Valencia, might actually be conversant enough to follow different forums in different languages from different cultures of football. There are quite a few on here who are well placed to analyse Rafa, amongst other great European managers reasonably well, and don't go shouting from the rooftops of the many things they may know of, except than maybe 'he's quality'.

You have your ideas of him. Fine. Don't presume to judge how other people's views of him are influenced.

Beware lest he invokes the most knowledgeable fans in the world or the Liverpool Way on you.
The man is a genius!