Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3300607 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #29080 on: April 17, 2024, 11:45:12 am »
I know the podcast is the main deal but I really wish they'd do more writing because a) I find podcasts generally difficult to listen to because my brain is weird like that b) they have some really, really good writers - Neil's post-match reviews especially help me shift my thoughts into place when I'm not sure what to make of a game. Even if they are probably written by an extremely drunk man, idk.

Neil's ability to turn into Lord Byron when he's 6 pints deep is truly something.
:D

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #29081 on: April 17, 2024, 11:49:15 am »
The Paul Morley of football, and I am very here for it.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29082 on: April 17, 2024, 11:56:02 am »
The Paul Morley of football, and I am very here for it.

Did you get the article from Karl Coppack?

Spoiler
  I DIDN’T watch it.

The Manchester Marathon, the vagaries of BBC Sounds and a slowly dying phone were all I had. I thought I'd just watch it later. Then I knew I wouldn't.

Reactions differ over time. Frustration to fury, to fuck it all, to some sort of muddied perspective.

Arsenal helped with the latter to some extent, but they were never the issue. This was always about us and Manchester City. Hats off to them, though. I always thought they'd cough first in the title race, but we beat them to it.

There's no way around it. The last few weeks have been awful. Two terrible games at Old Trafford, the Atalanta travesty and now Crystal Palace. The Reds doubting themselves, being shaky where we were once solid and showing an inability to finish chances. A rising underperformance in - God, help us - xG.

The title race isn't over, but we've not so much as handed over an advantage to City - we've hurled it at their feet.

I know, I know. No runners and all that, but I'd feel a lot more confident if we were in any semblance of form. The bottom line is, at the moment, I'd rather play us than City.

The biggest worry is that this season - and it's been an incredible one - will somehow be written off as a failure, particularly when it ties in with Jürgen Klopp's departure. It's nothing like a failure. It's just that we've performed brilliantly without being especially brilliant and that's hiked up the expectation. Expectations were unlikely to match.

Maybe that's harsh. We've certainly had glimpses and the mental strength has been astonishing, but we've gone behind 21 times in 51 games. That has to change.

What's worse is that we tend to concede early, so any game plan is replaced by panic. Oh, we can patient if we're only playing the opposition on the pitch, but in recent weeks every game is shot through the prism of the title race ('what does that mean for the league table?!') and that comes with added pressure.

Still, we've nothing to lose on Thursday so maybe we'll see a performance and a result. This side can certainly do that. Take the pressure off and we might release ourselves from our own minds.

It's not over, though the pit of my stomach feels heavier after that. But this is when we show our colours. This is where we pay.

Keep going, boys and girls. Dig in. This is where they need us the most.

And, after all, you never know.

Karl   
[close]
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #29083 on: April 17, 2024, 01:46:27 pm »
"damp squid"
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #29084 on: April 17, 2024, 04:34:17 pm »
"damp squid"

It's actually a firecracker Gibbo

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29085 on: April 17, 2024, 06:24:10 pm »
"damp squid"

i'm so glad Gutmann pulled him up on it, doing my head in  ;D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29086 on: April 17, 2024, 06:26:51 pm »
Aren't all squid, by their very nature, damp?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29087 on: April 17, 2024, 06:59:31 pm »
Aren't all squid, by their very nature, damp?

Zombies by their very nature are inconsistent.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29088 on: Yesterday at 04:35:17 pm »
"damp squid"
Hi Internet :wanker   :P

Bafta nomination worthy episode of the Gutter this week.  Tennis Hag was a highlight too  ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #29089 on: Yesterday at 06:34:42 pm »
Hi Internet :wanker   :P

Bafta nomination worthy episode of the Gutter this week.  Tennis Hag was a highlight too  ;D

Proper LOL moment that Tennis Hag gag was!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."