Author Topic: Anfield Road Redevelopment  (Read 306086 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Road Redevelopment
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2017, 10:11:37 pm »
Image what the stewards would have made of the urchins who used to climb up into the rafters of the old Spion Kop.  ;D
They use to climb on the roof mate :)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2017, 12:42:27 am »
A new low for the Echo, turning Skyscraper city wankfests into articles.

I saw that post on Skyscrapercity the other day and chuckled. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the local comic, The Echo, had actually run it on their website. As you said; a new low.  :o
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:46 am »
They use to climb on the roof mate :)

I never actually knew that. Suppose because I always tended to be in the Kop I never saw them actually on the roof itself, just in the rafters.

Mind you, I remember some Derbies when a few Bitters climbed on the roof of the Anny Road End, and one time when one ran along the floodlight gantry on the old Kemlyn. Never saw anyone climb onto the roof at Goodison, but with the woodworm it would be rather dodgy.

Not Anfield or even a Liverpool game, but I do remember a Manc falling through the roof at Norwich in the 70s.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:50:18 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:41 am »
While 108,000 does seem a bit ambitious at this stage (!), I think discussions about the Kop and the WBR, and indeed future proofing aren't stupid at all. The Kop is our unique selling point, well one of them. The main stand is fantastic and I'm sure the ARE will be too when it gets done.

The question is of course about money. Now I don't know what it'd cost to build a Kop like that, but I am interested in what it would cost to re-route the WBR like that and in doing so future proofing possible future expansion. Are we talking 10m? 20m? 30m? Is it really that mad to keep our options open?

P.S. Dunno what's going on with thouse huge ball globe things though...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:41:25 am by The Lord Admiral »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2017, 04:51:34 am »
This is for the Anfield Road development. The Kop and messing about with WBR are in another thread.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline corbyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2017, 06:43:38 am »
Possibly but the 4th April detail plans show the road as not in the club's ownership and a far less detailed plan a couple of weeks later includes it. I'm sure there would be a record of transfer somewhere and couldn't find anything.

My guess is that the location plan for works to the shop on WBR is less detailed, more simplistic and the other plans relating to works around Anfield Road are more accurate.
Does the Anny Road still get fenced off​ to traffic and pedestrians on non matchdays?

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
Does the Anny Road still get fenced off​ to traffic and pedestrians on non matchdays?

Yes.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2017, 01:49:46 pm »
Bollards rise out of the road...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »
It's not that straightforward. The closer to the pitch and the higher up you start, the steeper the rake to provide a decent view of the whole pitch over the heads of the rows in front (the 'c' value). The existing ARE Upper is steeper than the new tier and the new tier is already cantilevered and overlaps the lower. The row spacing on the ARE is tighter so a new build with the same number of rows at the front would mean the 'new' rows would start further back. The view form the ARE is shite at the back so you'd want to lift it a bit.

That all adds up and my quick and dirty Photoshop sketch makes it higher than the Main Stand:

Is it possible to make the ARE with 3 tiers, or it is not practical because of the steepness?

I think it would look good with the 3-tiered Main Stand, and once a 3rd tier is added to the Centenary (eventually).

Offline Macred

• Main Stander
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2017, 05:41:35 pm »
Is it possible to make the ARE with 3 tiers, or it is not practical because of the steepness?

I think it would look good with the 3-tiered Main Stand, and once a 3rd tier is added to the Centenary (eventually).

With corporate? i.e. similar to the main but maybe a lower level of cost (more suitable for local business types SME's etc.) That would be good maybe, but then you would lose capacity.

I was discussing with a bluenose and they say we havent been able to sell the corporate that we do have. Is that the boxes or just the premium seats with lounges etc. No point adding more if we cant sell what we have.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2017, 05:51:43 pm »
With corporate? i.e. similar to the main but maybe a lower level of cost (more suitable for local business types SME's etc.) That would be good maybe, but then you would lose capacity.

I was discussing with a bluenose and they say we havent been able to sell the corporate that we do have. Is that the boxes or just the premium seats with lounges etc. No point adding more if we cant sell what we have.

Corporate at goal ends is a hard sell. I would be surprised is they went that route. I would imagine that any additional corporate provision would be in the Centenary.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2017, 05:52:12 pm »

You can still pick up hospitality tickets for the last few games in some areas. Not many I think but there's no strong demand for a new hospitality tier.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:55 pm »

Not really - I did a quick study with a cantilevered upper tier and the rake was excessive. Three tiers, especially with boxes/lounges wouldn't really add capacity unless it was taller than the main stand. Another tier on the Centenary would be expensive and won't add a lot.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:16 pm »
Not really - I did a quick study with a cantilevered upper tier and the rake was excessive. Three tiers, especially with boxes/lounges wouldn't really add capacity unless it was taller than the main stand. Another tier on the Centenary would be expensive and won't add a lot.

I wasn't suggesting boxes/lounges, just some regular cheaper seats.

Would it be steeper than Man City's 3rd tier they added recently? That looks pretty steep.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:30 pm »
I wasn't suggesting boxes/lounges, just some regular cheaper seats.

Would it be steeper than Man City's 3rd tier they added recently? That looks pretty steep.

There's no need to add a third tier.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2017, 11:39:55 pm »
There's no need to add a third tier.

Yes, I understand that. It was just an idea, and I was curious if it is practical.

As for the possible ARE upgrade, I was looking at the cross section of the designed "single tier" stand of Tottenham's new stadium, and it looks interesting.

We could do something like that with the upgrade of the ARE, and get a massive "single tier" stand opposite to the Kop. What would be the approximate capacity of such a stand, if it is as high as the Main Stand?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2017, 12:08:35 am »
Politically, a stand bigger than the Kop won't fly.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2017, 12:36:14 am »
Politically, a stand bigger than the Kop won't fly.

I can't say that I fully understand the internal politics, but any upgrade to the ARE will make it bigger than the Kop, including the originally proposed design.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2017, 07:54:57 am »
I think SP meant a single tier stand bigger than the Kop Peter

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2017, 10:40:30 am »
Bit daft the Kop thing for me, some things are more important principally getting as many young local people into the ground as possible.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:06 am »
Yes, I understand that. It was just an idea, and I was curious if it is practical.

As for the possible ARE upgrade, I was looking at the cross section of the designed "single tier" stand of Tottenham's new stadium, and it looks interesting.

We could do something like that with the upgrade of the ARE, and get a massive "single tier" stand opposite to the Kop. What would be the approximate capacity of such a stand, if it is as high as the Main Stand?
I can't say that I fully understand the internal politics, but any upgrade to the ARE will make it bigger than the Kop, including the originally proposed design.

This is a rough comparison of the two. Each line represents 10 rows. The ARE proposed upper tier is about the same number of rows as the Spuds upper tier but is cantilevered over by four or five rows. The Spuds stand is two tiers with no cantilever. To replicate the Spuds stand we'd need additional land at the back and the views at the top of the Upper tier wouldn't be as good.

Anfield is what it is because we've retained a lot of the original, tight seating around the pitch. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
I've been saying for s few years that would should create two options and submit them for fan vote. The first being the two tier ARE new Stand........... but the second being a brand new Single Tier Uber Kop!!!

The current Kop isn't the original and we of course going to move away from Anfield completely with the new stadium plans.

Along the same design ideas as the Main Stand..... with a huge King Kenny pub and dining under the Plinthe...... full of memorabilia like a Liverpool Planet Hollywood :-)

And then this would enable us to look putting another tier on the existing Kop within that limited footprint.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »
This is a rough comparison of the two. Each line represents 10 rows. The ARE proposed upper tier is about the same number of rows as the Spuds upper tier but is cantilevered over by four or five rows. The Spuds stand is two tiers with no cantilever. To replicate the Spuds stand we'd need additional land at the back and the views at the top of the Upper tier wouldn't be as good.
That's a pity, because that Spurs stand is exactly what I'd been hoping for for the ARE (with a safe standing surprise into the bargain).

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2017, 08:16:22 pm »

Anfield is what it is because we've retained a lot of the original, tight seating around the pitch. 

Thanks, Alan  :thumbup

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »
A bit on the anny road build from Alex miller on TIA

Nothing that new, but interesting that revenues are above expectations from the new stand.  I suppose they had modest expectations in order make sure it was a success

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/04/champions-league-qualification-boost-anfield-expansion-plans/
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2017, 10:33:45 pm »
All this nostalgia over the Kop needs to be put to bed.  The best atmospheres this season have been in the away ends at Middlesbrough and Stoke, 110 and 60 miles from Anfield respectively.   Seizing on the opportunity to create a proper single tier Road End in the order of 15k 100yds from the Kop can't be bad.  But, ultimately you need the right people to make it work, put 15000 Scouse youths on an expanded Road End and leave the deadwood on the Kop.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2017, 12:07:26 am »
But, ultimately you need the right people to make it work...

This, this and this again. The Kop itself isn't the problem - it's still a great stand but it's full of people who should have moved to the Main or Centenary ages ago. Build the Annie Road upper tier and let some of the old farts move out and have the Kop as the Kop, with no tourists or non-singing old farts*.

*I'm an old fart but I sing so I would be allowed.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2017, 03:26:57 am »

Cheers Alan this is really interesting.

I'd heard a whisper a while back that the new ARE design mirrors the Main stand, in that there's a middle section. Would this increase the potential capacity further than what was originally proposed in your view?

Also can you explain why the views of a new upper tier wouldn't be as good as the Spurs design? Is that due to distance from the pitch for those at the back or something else?

Cheers

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2017, 09:42:01 am »
Cheers Alan this is really interesting.

I'd heard a whisper a while back that the new ARE design mirrors the Main stand, in that there's a middle section. Would this increase the potential capacity further than what was originally proposed in your view?

Also can you explain why the views of a new upper tier wouldn't be as good as the Spurs design? Is that due to distance from the pitch for those at the back or something else?

Cheers

The ARE doesn't mirror the design of the Main Stand. The outline planning documents say it shares the same design principles and materials as the Main Stand but it's definitely only one additional tier and there were no plans for any hospitality.

I'm not sure which comment about the view you're referring to.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2017, 10:10:29 am »
To replicate the Spuds stand we'd need additional land at the back and the views at the top of the Upper tier wouldn't be as good.

This quote.

I realise that re the outline planning, but apparently there are updated plans that do mirror the main stand. Not public yet. Hopefully we'll see in the summer.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2017, 10:17:09 am »
This quote.

I realise that re the outline planning, but apparently there are updated plans that do mirror the main stand. Not public yet. Hopefully we'll see in the summer.

I meant wouldn't be as good as the current design. They'd be much further away.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2017, 03:37:12 pm »
108000 seater anfield?

Oh yes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/ambitious-design-shows-anfield-108000-12910453
She's the one on there who has ¾ of Merseyside covered in rail tracks, she's an absolute lunatic with a graphics package.  Must know someone in the Echo offices.

As it comes to the ARE development, what's the actual standing for it?  Saw the cost-per-seat but found it strange that the owners would deem it too high for the time period unless they're likely to move us on out of their portfolio in a couple of decades.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:20 pm »
As it comes to the ARE development, what's the actual standing for it?  Saw the cost-per-seat but found it strange that the owners would deem it too high for the time period unless they're likely to move us on out of their portfolio in a couple of decades.

Where have you seen the cost per seat?

Also they haven't decided it to be too high.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2017, 04:54:15 pm »
Where have you seen the cost per seat?

Also they haven't decided it to be too high.
Very first post.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »
Very first post.

Ah got you. Think they'll probably have much more accurate figures than that to be working from now (you'd hope  ;D )

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2017, 09:39:26 pm »
This, this and this again. The Kop itself isn't the problem - it's still a great stand but it's full of people who should have moved to the Main or Centenary ages ago. Build the Annie Road upper tier and let some of the old farts move out and have the Kop as the Kop, with no tourists or non-singing old farts*.

*I'm an old fart but I sing so I would be allowed.

Sadly they won't move out unless they have a financial incentive so the problem will exacerbate over time.  Time to stop living on our history and recognise that times have moved on, create something new and fresh, move the flag bearers to the Annie Road End.  Those of us who stood on the Rd End in the late 70's and early 80's will bear testimony to how the youth of that era revolutionised football culture. Let's do it again.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:56:09 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2017, 12:40:12 am »
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/04/22/liverpool-2022-commonwealth-games-bid-open-manchester-help

Does anybody know if we would be likely to get a grant towards making Anfield 60K capacity in the event of Liverpool
getting the Commonwealth games in 2022? These events usually lead to significant infrastructure development.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:23 am »
Bit daft the Kop thing for me, some things are more important principally getting as many young local people into the ground as possible.
Agreed, the Kop will still have historic importance even if it is no longer the biggest single tier.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2017, 06:20:03 pm »
Ayre has said he doesn't think redevelopment of anfield is finished, but he can't speak for the club...

Pinched that from Jay McKenna on Twitter...

Seems positive then...

Edit .... exact quote from the echo

“I can no longer speak on behalf of LFC, but what I do know is that Liverpool have other objectives which they’re focused on in terms of big capital projects. Personally, I don’t think their work there is finished….”
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:22:57 pm by Dyno-Rod »
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:59 pm »
Other big capital projects must refer to the new training ground surely..
W