Author Topic: 2019 County Cricket Thread  (Read 15832 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: 2019 County Cricket Thread
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2019, 11:07:34 pm »
Absolutely mental from Middlesex. Could've chased down almost any number you care to mention.
I saw them last night at Hampshire..

Not a hint of that madness to come tonight...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2019, 06:51:25 am »
Brilliant from Middlesex, but frankly some terrible bowling, they were 54-0 off 3 overs with every ball bowled just asking to be smacked.

Some of the skill in T20 bowling has gone out of the game.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 1, 2019, 11:33:53 am »
I think, that's a single point now required for Lancs to secure top spot and guarantee a quarter final home tie at Durham!  :-X

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/english-twenty20/table
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: September 1, 2019, 12:20:37 pm »
I think, that's a single point now required for Lancs to secure top spot and guarantee a quarter final home tie at Durham!  :-X

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/english-twenty20/table

They’ve finished top and play Essex in the quarters on Wednesday night(in Durham)?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 1, 2019, 09:26:04 pm »
They’ve finished top and play Essex in the quarters on Wednesday night(in Durham)?

I'm I missing something? Played 14 in a league containing 9 teams?  ???

Oh here it is:-

Each side plays 14 matches, which includes playing six of the other sides in their group twice (one home and one away) and the other two teams once.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/news/t20_blast_all_you_need_to_know.html

No doubt the ECB came up with innovative format.  ::)
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 4, 2019, 09:59:35 pm »
Essex needing 46 from 24, could go either way.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #206 on: September 4, 2019, 10:05:17 pm »
sky's crew probably make up at least half of the attendance.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #207 on: September 4, 2019, 10:07:51 pm »
Why have they bowled Livingstone here and not Mahmood or Parkinson? Shocker.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: September 4, 2019, 10:08:55 pm »
Why have they bowled Livingstone here and not Mahmood or Parkinson? Shocker.

Brain dead decision cost then the match

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #209 on: September 5, 2019, 07:44:18 am »
They effectively lost home advantage due to bad timing, I assume they couldn't play closer to home due to having no floodlights.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #210 on: September 5, 2019, 10:37:03 am »
Essex in the semi finals is unreal. They were second bottom of the South group with two games to go. Basically every possible result has gone their way since those last two rounds of matches were played.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #211 on: September 5, 2019, 10:44:56 am »
Essex in the semi finals is unreal. They were second bottom of the South group with two games to go. Basically every possible result has gone their way since those last two rounds of matches were played.

Can’t get over that decision last night! 29 needed off 13, went down to 22 off the last two. It seemed obvious Essex would go for it in the 19th to not leave too much to do so why bowl a pet time leggie over a decent death bowler.

Lancs team feels very bits and pieces. Not sure they were good enough to win it anyway. Some of the southern teams seem to have a lot more firepower with the bat.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #212 on: September 5, 2019, 10:46:05 am »

I think Kent won 5 of their first 6 games, and then only won one more plus losing to Essex in the last game also.

What the Lancashire captain was playing at I don’t know, their best bowlers yesterday only bowled 2 or 3 overs.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #213 on: September 5, 2019, 03:04:37 pm »
Can’t get over that decision last night! 29 needed off 13, went down to 22 off the last two. It seemed obvious Essex would go for it in the 19th to not leave too much to do so why bowl a pet time leggie over a decent death bowler.

Lancs team feels very bits and pieces. Not sure they were good enough to win it anyway. Some of the southern teams seem to have a lot more firepower with the bat.

Got to agree with this.

With 29 needed from 13 balls I thought Lancashire were strong favourites. Croft missing that catch on the boundary, and compounding it by not stopping it going for 6, was the 1st poor piece of play. I know the conditions were difficult but at this level you should be taking that catch. That catch maybe would have negated the decision to bowl Livingstone in the 19th over.

22 off 12 seemed more even though with Faulkner on the last I was still thinking Lancs were favourites. To bowl Livingstone in that penultimate over was a poor decision before a ball was bowled. Part time spinner who hadn't even bowled particularly well in his previous overs. It's not like Dane Villas was backed into a corner with the available bowlers. He had frontline bowlers (pace and spin) who he could have turned to. That decision gave Essex the game on a plate. In doing so, Villas has probably killed Livingstone's confidence in bowling but also highlighted to the likes of Gleeson, Mahmood and Parkinson that he doesn't trust them bowling at the death.

I like Dane Villas as a captain. Lancs will have done well in both formats of the game this season. Semi finals of One Day Cup and QF of T20 (also topped North group), coupled with probable Division 2 title. But last night's captaincy for that last few overs was really poor and baffling. Looked like someone who was trying to be too clever when he just needed to give the ball to Mahmood or Gleeson and trust them to keep it to 12 or less in the over.

I think Lancs would have gone into Finals Day with a decent chance. They bat a long way down the order and have a number of bowling options. Maybe they could have even added Buttler if available for Finals Day.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #214 on: September 5, 2019, 04:11:22 pm »

Yeah agree. Haven’t seen much of the tournament this year to be honest but from what I have seen, I’d be surprised if the winner doesn’t come from the south group.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #215 on: September 5, 2019, 04:13:36 pm »
I think Kent won 5 of their first 6 games, and then only won one more plus losing to Essex in the last game also.

What the Lancashire captain was playing at I don’t know, their best bowlers yesterday only bowled 2 or 3 overs.
Seemed very odd. Crowd was shocking too due to the venue change. There really has been too much cricket this summer. Each t20 team should have played opponents once, meaning 8 games instead of 14 and then played the quarter finals soon after.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #216 on: September 5, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »

Yep, and it was Kent's capitulations in the last few matches (the penultimate match vs Gloucs really stuck out as bottle jobs - needing 41 off 6 when Bilbo got out, Blake should have come in, but instead we brought in Kuhn who then got 4 runs off 7 balls, as we then only scored 9 off 2 overs, leaving 32 off 4; Blake came in, and hit 19 off 7, and then needing 12 off 9, hit the ball to the fielder in the deep - no biggie, Du Plessis is an international quality bat, for whom 12 off 8 should be a walk in the park, then he holed out the next ball off an even worst shot, leaving us 12 off 7, then our tail failing to get bat on ball losing by 5) - that after being top at the half way mark with 6 wins from 7, to then lose 5 of the next 7 (with 2 no results) was terrible.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #217 on: September 5, 2019, 08:31:21 pm »
Yep, and it was Kent's capitulations in the last few matches (the penultimate match vs Gloucs really stuck out as bottle jobs - needing 41 off 6 when Bilbo got out, Blake should have come in, but instead we brought in Kuhn who then got 4 runs off 7 balls, as we then only scored 9 off 2 overs, leaving 32 off 4; Blake came in, and hit 19 off 7, and then needing 12 off 9, hit the ball to the fielder in the deep - no biggie, Du Plessis is an international quality bat, for whom 12 off 8 should be a walk in the park, then he holed out the next ball off an even worst shot, leaving us 12 off 7, then our tail failing to get bat on ball losing by 5) - that after being top at the half way mark with 6 wins from 7, to then lose 5 of the next 7 (with 2 no results) was terrible.

I agree and Kent also managed to lose to Surrey by one run when they still had seven wickets in hand, one of the worst paced chases you’ll ever see.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2019, 08:39:49 pm »
Wickets have tumbled across the country today. Pope made 60 odd in a really poor Surrey total though, amazed he’s not in the test squad.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2019, 08:47:43 pm »
Wickets have tumbled across the country today. Pope made 60 odd in a really poor Surrey total though, amazed he’s not in the test squad.

Would like to see him bat with Ricky Pontiff.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2019, 08:52:37 pm »
Would like to see him bat with Ricky Pontiff.
As long as Glenn Chapel could bowl a few overs I wouldn’t be averse.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:38 pm »
As long as Glenn Chapel could bowl a few overs I wouldn’t be averse.

Sistino Best sharing the new ball?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2019, 08:54:39 am »
Sistino Best sharing the new ball?

He’ll have to try and prise it off Bishop.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2019, 01:23:33 pm »
Impressive from Yorkshire. Had Somerset 148/8 yesterday and still managed to concede a first innings lead of 96.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:39 pm »
Just noticed that all sides in Div Two have played 11. They’re all playing the 12th game now and then have two more fixtures each to finish on 14 matches. There are 10 teams in the league so they all play everyone once and then presumably 5 teams twice so they don’t all play the same teams the same number of times. Mental.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2019, 05:38:37 pm »
Just noticed that all sides in Div Two have played 11. They’re all playing the 12th game now and then have two more fixtures each to finish on 14 matches. There are 10 teams in the league so they all play everyone once and then presumably 5 teams twice so they don’t all play the same teams the same number of times. Mental.

Noticed that for the T20s the other day as well - 9 teams in each group, but only 14 matches each. I guess there just isn't the time to play everyone twice in all formats!

In other news, Josh Bohannon has his maiden first-class century for Lancs against Derbyshire. He's 131* in a partnership of 167 with Livingstone (66*). Lancs 242/2, trail by 2.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2019, 08:44:47 am »
Noticed that for the T20s the other day as well - 9 teams in each group, but only 14 matches each. I guess there just isn't the time to play everyone twice in all formats!

In other news, Josh Bohannon has his maiden first-class century for Lancs against Derbyshire. He's 131* in a partnership of 167 with Livingstone (66*). Lancs 242/2, trail by 2.

Chance of getting a draw then.  :P

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2019, 08:48:05 am »
Somerset look set to win their first ever County Championship. They’ve been knocking on the door for a good while, so quite pleased for them. Better than Essex or Yorkshire winning it anyway!

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2019, 09:16:01 am »
Somerset look set to win their first ever County Championship. They’ve been knocking on the door for a good while, so quite pleased for them. Better than Essex or Yorkshire winning it anyway!

Don't think it's over just yet. Somerset play Essex in the final game of the season.

Though you are right Somerset are in the driving seat at the moment following Yorkshire's shit show in their first innings.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2019, 09:30:29 am »
Don't think it's over just yet. Somerset play Essex in the final game of the season.

Though you are right Somerset are in the driving seat at the moment following Yorkshire's shit show in their first innings.

Never quite sure if the latest table includes current games but Somerset look set to win and Essex can at best draw which may mean Somerset can’t be caught.

Just looked again and I think you’re right. An Essex win in the final game would still see them win it I think.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2019, 10:18:34 am »
Just looked again and I think you’re right. An Essex win in the final game would still see them win it I think.

Yeah think there is still a bit to play for. There is 2 more county games to play after the ones which are currently being played.

Essex still to play Surrey and Somerset
Somerset still to play Hampshire and Essex

I am with you though. I'd like Somerset to win it too.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2019, 10:37:50 am »
Cheers Dave, I’m having a mare, thought there was only one game left after this.

I blame Metro, they said Somerset were closing in on the title!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2019, 03:24:02 pm »
Derbyshire 244 & 37/2 * (8.2 ov)
Lancashire  418

Day 3 of 4

Lancs get the key wicket of Godleman.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2019, 07:37:11 pm »
Darren Stevens at the age of 43 with a five wicket haul in each innings and an 83 with the bat.  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2019, 10:19:14 pm »
Lancs won by an innings to secure promotion.

Need 5 points from the last games to guarantee being Champions.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:27 am »
Lancs won by an innings to secure promotion.

Need 5 points from the last games to guarantee being Champions.

Did well to secure that victory yesterday as the North West was hit with a fearsome storm later in the afternoon with torrential rain which would probably have ended play for the day.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2019, 12:21:57 pm »
Another big day in the championship. Great start by Somerset and Essex yet to start due to bad light.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2019, 03:29:02 pm »
This Darren Stevens innings is insane.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2019, 04:42:13 pm »
Lancs are confirmed as champions as they picked up 2 batting bonus points. Northants only got 1 themselves so they can’t be caught. Huzzah.

This Darren Stevens innings is insane.

Kent were 39/5 and are now 356/5 with Stevens 211*. Well bowled Yorkshire. :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:44:23 pm by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2019, 04:44:23 pm »
Stevens out for 237, runs made in a little under two sessions. Simply astonishing.