Author Topic: Leicester City AKA The Plutocrats  (Read 257127 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Leicester City
« Reply #600 on: September 2, 2019, 01:04:50 am »
Warmed to Vardy as a player in the last year or so, just because I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. He scores so many different types of goals and he scores goals against good teams at about the same clip as he does against the bums. England should've used him way more than they did.

He's always been a good player. Perhaps not always a pleasant personality, but he knows where the goal is.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: September 2, 2019, 01:09:39 am »
They've won the two games he's scored in and not won the two he hasn't though :P

Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about. They don't funnel their attack through Vardy now. They funnel it through Maddison. Before, their plan was knock it long to Vardy, and run up to support. Now they build the game up, and focus the attack through Maddison, who sorts out the final ball, which is why Vardy has looked marginalized in large portions of the games they've played this season.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: September 2, 2019, 02:47:00 am »
I'd argue Rodgers wants them to posses the ball as a defensive tactic and it ending up with Maddison is just part and parcel to that.  I'd also argue that they're best play so far this year has been when they played more open and stretched which is not how Rodgers sets them up to start.

Edit: Though this most recent game against Bournemouth he did finally start with just one DM which is a good sign but then he selected Albrighton to even it out....  I want Leicester to get top 6 to be clear.  Just think Rodgers is key to that one way or another.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2019, 02:52:34 am by BrandoLFC »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #603 on: September 2, 2019, 09:55:28 pm »
Yeah, but that's not what I'm talking about. They don't funnel their attack through Vardy now. They funnel it through Maddison. Before, their plan was knock it long to Vardy, and run up to support. Now they build the game up, and focus the attack through Maddison, who sorts out the final ball, which is why Vardy has looked marginalized in large portions of the games they've played this season.
My comment about Leicester's reliance was not so much about them using him as the get out ball or to generate attacks (Drinkwater banging blind balls into space and Vardy chasing them down - urgh!).  To be fair to them that season though they adapted well once teams stopped defending so high and the Mahrez >> Vardy combination was breath-taking at times in the second half of the season.

I watched their win at Sheff Utd and Leicester were very much a Brendan side when he's not got the overwhelming attack he had in 13/14 or at Celtic; neat build-up play, good interchanges, largely playing in-front of the opposition.  Maddison is shaping into a really good player but, like Mahrez in 2016, it's Vardy that provides the cutting edge.  Maddison's assist in that game was a beautifully weighted pass but nobody else in their squad makes the run that Vardy did.  Their second goal - one of their only two shots on target - was an unreal strike but if Leicester are relying on wonder goals and Ndidi nodding in from corners then they're not going to score many!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2019, 09:57:00 pm by thaddeus »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: September 3, 2019, 09:44:32 am »
In their title winning season, they scored 68 goals, 41 of which came from Vardy (24) and Mahrez (17), so they do need to share them out a bit more this season.

Mancs away and then Spurs home, they could easily take all 6pts from those two.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #605 on: September 3, 2019, 10:23:46 am »
I'd argue Rodgers wants them to posses the ball as a defensive tactic and it ending up with Maddison is just part and parcel to that.  I'd also argue that they're best play so far this year has been when they played more open and stretched which is not how Rodgers sets them up to start.

This sounds familiar!

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: September 3, 2019, 09:31:38 pm »
In their title winning season, they scored 68 goals, 41 of which came from Vardy (24) and Mahrez (17), so they do need to share them out a bit more this season.

Lets hope so :) or at least take points off them with a draw.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: September 3, 2019, 09:53:56 pm »
Warmed to Vardy as a player in the last year or so, just because I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. He scores so many different types of goals and he scores goals against good teams at about the same clip as he does against the bums. England should've used him way more than they did.
If he were younger and not (apparently) such a twat, I could have seen us scooping him up. He'd be fantastic under Klopp as a sub for our front three.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: September 15, 2019, 06:45:21 am »
Watched their whole game today.  I don't get paid millions of dollars to figure this stuff out but again I think Rodgers picks a more defensive midfield than is required when you consider his other options available.  I also think Gray is not a PL level attacker.  Why spend all that money on Perez while also having Barnes and yet you give Gray minutes?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: September 15, 2019, 10:12:59 am »
They looked hopelessly dull yesterday against a bang average team.
Rodgers will need to do much better.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2019, 07:03:39 pm »
Maddison less of a bell-end than I previously thought.

https://twitter.com/Madders10/status/1175452521147568133

"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2019, 07:25:36 pm »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: September 21, 2019, 10:00:23 pm »
Always liked him

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2019, 12:28:46 am »
that's a pretty strong roast

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2019, 05:35:32 am »
Want to add my comment in the match thread here as I think this is a fair standpoint as far as Rodgers and Leicester:

Who would take Leicester’s staring XI over Spurs today?  How about over United or Arsenal?  You can argue over individual players or overall squad but for a best starting XI I’d say their only behind ManC and us.  They should be a top 4 threat and they would be if Klopp or Pep was managing them.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2019, 06:13:16 am »
Want to add my comment in the match thread here as I think this is a fair standpoint as far as Rodgers and Leicester:

Not having that. They look good and are performing well because they have a well defined system and players that more motivated than Spurs or United players.

They have some good players like Maddison, Tielenman and Vardy. There are a few promising youngsters like Barnes and Soyuncu. However, this is largely the same team(minus McGuire) that finished 14 points behind United and 19 points behind Spurs last season.

They can get top 4 but I don't think its because their squad is superior to their competitors. 

Edit: Think Rodgers has done well giving youth a chance and developing them. A lot of their players have put in significantly improved performances since he arrived. He deserves credit. Its easy to say that they would be top 4 if Klopp or Pep were their coach, but Pep or Klopp are not going to clubs like Leicester.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:41:33 am by Max_powers »

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2019, 06:17:24 am »
LFC bound then!
Is a united fan apparently.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2019, 07:40:31 am »

So you’ve doubled down on stupidity  ;D Bold.

They should be looking to challenge to get into the top six. I’d imagine you’re building them up to such an extent so you can justify continued pops at Brendan Rodgers all season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2019, 09:01:35 am »
:lmao

Possibly one of the worst takes I’ve seen on here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:17:13 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2019, 11:22:55 am »
If only everyone responded to that rag like that, bunch of shithouses

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: September 22, 2019, 11:46:10 am »
Is a united fan apparently.
his mum is a Liverpool fan

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: September 22, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »
They really should have done better at Utd. Not Top 4 material but they have a good chance for Top 6.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: September 22, 2019, 12:42:05 pm »
They really should have done better at Utd. Not Top 4 material but they have a good chance for Top 6.

They need to be putting every pound and pence they have towards players at the top end of the field and maybe a keeper. Would be fruitless signing anymore defenders or midfielders.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: September 22, 2019, 12:46:59 pm »
They've got 4 points from chelsea away, united away and spurs at home. That's a good points haul for a team aimimg for 70ish points.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: September 23, 2019, 04:11:31 am »
Not having that. They look good and are performing well because they have a well defined system and players that more motivated than Spurs or United players.

They have some good players like Maddison, Tielenman and Vardy. There are a few promising youngsters like Barnes and Soyuncu. However, this is largely the same team(minus McGuire) that finished 14 points behind United and 19 points behind Spurs last season.

They can get top 4 but I don't think its because their squad is superior to their competitors. 

Edit: Think Rodgers has done well giving youth a chance and developing them. A lot of their players have put in significantly improved performances since he arrived. He deserves credit. Its easy to say that they would be top 4 if Klopp or Pep were their coach, but Pep or Klopp are not going to clubs like Leicester.

So you're saying you would take Arsenal and ManU over Leicester in a starting XI comparison?  I'll cede that Spurs are probably better but I don't think it's clear cut.

GK - Schmeichel - worse than Lloris and DDG but same as Leno?
Defense - Pereira Evans Soyncu Chillwell - Worse than Spurs, easily better than Arsenal and same as ManU?
Mid - Maddison Tielemans Ndidi - Better than ManU and Spurs, probably better than Arsenal?
Forwards - Barnes Vardy Perez - Worse than Arse and Spurs but same as ManU?

I think on the whole we're splitting hairs here and any talk that just happy to be top 6, which while I'm sure they'll take it, undersells the quality of the starters they have.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: September 23, 2019, 05:57:07 am »
So you're saying you would take Arsenal and ManU over Leicester in a starting XI comparison?  I'll cede that Spurs are probably better but I don't think it's clear cut.

GK - Schmeichel - worse than Lloris and DDG but same as Leno?
Defense - Pereira Evans Soyncu Chillwell - Worse than Spurs, easily better than Arsenal and same as ManU?
Mid - Maddison Tielemans Ndidi - Better than ManU and Spurs, probably better than Arsenal?
Forwards - Barnes Vardy Perez - Worse than Arse and Spurs but same as ManU?

I think on the whole we're splitting hairs here and any talk that just happy to be top 6, which while I'm sure they'll take it, undersells the quality of the starters they have.

Yeah. Also to finish top 4 they would need to finish above 3 out of Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. Its possible but I doubt they have any expectations.

They finished 9th last season with 52 points. They finished behind Everton. When Rodgers took over they were bottom half. To finish Top 4 you need minimum of 70 points typically. That's a big gap to bridge. This is also largely the same team as last year. They have lost Mcguire and added Perez. Were you also saying the same things about their squad when they were languishing in bottom half last season?

Teams like Arsenal and Chelsea have weaknesses but they can also field world class players like Kante, Aubameyang, Lacazette etc. They have players like Pulisic, Pedro, Lacazette sitting on bench. Leicester have much worse squad depth. They rely on Demrai Gray FFS.

They probably have a better team than Man United at this point or maybe just a better manager. Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea should really be finishing well ahead of Leicester based on players they have but I do rate Rodgers as a better manager than Emery and Lampard.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: September 29, 2019, 06:49:39 pm »
Brendan is making top 4 race fun, hope they find a way to make it.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #627 on: September 29, 2019, 06:53:36 pm »
Brendan is making top 4 race fun, hope they find a way to make it.

He's inherited a good set of players there and improved them, that's what he's good at. Took the handbreak off from Puel.

It's transfers he struggles with.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #628 on: September 29, 2019, 06:53:49 pm »
After losing next weekend of course
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #629 on: September 30, 2019, 07:37:54 am »
Going to be a tough game at the weekend.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: September 30, 2019, 07:55:02 am »
It will be a difficult game but after watching their limp display at Old Trafford I'm not too concerned. I think Klopp will also emphasize this is a game where we dropped points last season to add extra focus to it.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2019, 02:46:22 pm »
Rodgers set his team up pretty conservatively vs United. If he does the same against us, I think we have a chance to punish them.

If they come out more aggressive, think they pose a much bigger threat, especially on the counter.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:48:00 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2019, 03:20:34 pm »
Since Rodgers was appointed on the 26th of February, Leicester have been the third best team in the league on a ppg basis. We all know Brendan can sometimes overthink big games, but when he hasn't done that, his teams tend to have big performances. We should win, but it could be a narrow score in an end to end game

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: September 30, 2019, 03:23:18 pm »
Going to be a tough game at the weekend.
That's what I think. Probably as good as the other teams in top 6 imo.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: September 30, 2019, 05:09:44 pm »
I've been banging the drum that Leicester have a really good squad and have seen nothing that makes me think any differently.  We should win regardless but if things break their way or our players don't perform to their level then we could easily drop points.  Salzburg first though.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: October 1, 2019, 04:50:56 pm »
I think Leicester are a decent team and may push for top 4 but just heard the most outrageous claim.

Listening to the Guardian football podcast and they were saying that there was an argument that their midfield is better than ours. I know that our midfield is underrated but from a decent podcast I can't understand the thinking given the form we are in.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: October 1, 2019, 04:59:06 pm »
I think Leicester are a decent team and may push for top 4 but just heard the most outrageous claim.

Listening to the Guardian football podcast and they were saying that there was an argument that their midfield is better than ours. I know that our midfield is underrated but from a decent podcast I can't understand the thinking given the form we are in.

Our midfield isn't asked to do typical offensive "midfield" things so unless you watch us week in and week out or understand that then most other midfields will look better just from looking at a stats sheet.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: October 1, 2019, 05:11:35 pm »

I'd say their midfield is more traditionally balanced, rather than "better". They have defined roles in the midfield (Ndidi holding, Tielemans running, Maddison creating), whereas we have a more flexible rotational midfield ("nearest person does the job")

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: October 1, 2019, 05:56:31 pm »

It's with a degree of calm smugness that I can say I don't care who takes points off United or Spurs, as I know they're going to drop points.  I want to know who might take points of AD FC

Watching Leicester kick the traditional big clubs in the bollocks will be undeniably amusing though.  Not against us mind. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: October 5, 2019, 02:47:40 am »
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fc-brendan-rodgers-manager-leicester-city-celtic-fsg-john-henry-epl-a9142616.html
Some behind-the-scenes tidbits of Rodgers' time here:
FSG were frustrated by the manager’s reluctance to play the new signings. After a 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford in December, they gave him an ultimatum: get the likes of Can into the side or pay with your job. Those endless hours and the 3am moment of realisation that Rodgers described to the journalists – essentially adapting a 3-4-3 system he had seen Basel use in their 1-0 victory over his team in the Champions League group stage – were born of that necessity. FSG’s Mike Gordon applied heavy pressure to move Rodgers away from his favoured 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 formations.
On August 10, Henry explicitly told his manager: “We cannot move [Andy] Carroll anywhere until we have a couple of additional forwards.” The Geordie was one of a long list of players Rodgers was keen to discard. Henderson was among them.
FSG were eager to bring Daniel Sturridge to Anfield from Chelsea. With that deal almost done and the deadline clock ticking down, Rodgers offloaded Carroll to West Ham United. Then he turned down the Sturridge move, made an approach for Fulham’s Clint Dempsey and offered Henderson to Craven Cottage in part exchange.
Henry was unhappy about losing out on Sturridge but what made him really furious was Rodgers’ response to the incident at a press conference after the window shut. “It’s probably 99.9 per cent finance,” he said about Carroll’s departure. “If we’ve got a choice, then he’s someone around the place who you could use from time to time. He would have been a good option.”
FSG were aghast at the suggestion. Henry wrote an open letter to fans to shoot down the notion that the manager was being forced to sell and explaining their strategy. What they could not understand across the Atlantic is how Rodgers could “throw us under a bus”. It would not be the last time the phrase was used. Trust was undermined within three months. The roots of the transfer committee began there.
After Liverpool’s first failed attempt to sign Mohamed Salah in January 2014 – a player he was lukewarm about and argued against meeting Basel’s valuation – Rodgers said at a press conference that losing out on the Egyptian was “hard to take”. He was asked why the winger ended up at Chelsea. “That’s for the money guys to say,” he replied.
FSG felt the bus roll over them again and one angry internal missive stated, “I’m fighting the urge to call him and tear him a new asshole”.