Author Topic: Daniel Agger  (Read 394663 times)

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Danny Agger - Interesting Article
« Reply #3320 on: July 20, 2016, 01:35:09 pm »
Hopefully he can enjoy a pain free retirement - a real shame that he had to go to these lengths to play regularly.

Wow, amazing what athletes will put their own body through. Always liked Agger, think most of us did.

One of the best players to play for us since the turn of the millennium.

Had bags of ability and it was clear the club meant a lot to him.

Great example of what a Liverpool player should be.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:37:21 pm by bornandbRED »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Agger
« Reply #3321 on: July 20, 2016, 01:37:00 pm »
Think I remember that pre-season incident that exacerbated his back injury: a fall from height straight onto his back after a poor challenge from an opponent. Looked horrible at the time, but think he played on.

Enjoy life danny.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3322 on: July 20, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »
Wow, amazing what athletes will put their own body through. Always liked Agger, think most of us did.

I think pain is part of normal life for top athletes, not just football players. Shame that it has to go that far though. Can't be good for the players in the long run.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #3323 on: July 20, 2016, 01:39:42 pm »

There was a sport psychology study that was done back at 2005, which they asked a large group of professional athletes a multiple choice question. The question was: If there were a drug that you can take and will guarantee you winning an Olympic gold medal without being detected. However, you will die in 10 years. Knowing all the benefits and risks will you have taken it? 70% answered yes, 16% said most likely, 7 % would think about it and the rest said no (which is barely 7%). Professional sportsmen look at things very differently to us. 
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #3324 on: July 20, 2016, 01:46:51 pm »
 ;D  although should probably be  :(

Roy Hodgson

“I completely lost my desire to come to work because his training sessions were really hard to get through. Not physically but mentally. It was the same and the same and the same. Day in and day out.

“Often we had eight forwards playing against me and Martin Skrtel [apparently to let Fernando Torres score to regain his confidence]. Skrtel and I had a really hard training session as we were defending against eight with two but the eight players attacking were just faffing around. They had hardly run a kilometre and it was so uninspiring.”

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #3325 on: July 20, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »
Exchange with Rodgers is very revealing. Goes to show that Rodgers didn't have a clue when it came to the defence. The turnaround in form of Lovren adds to that.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3326 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »
Really interesting article.

Only makes me admire the bloke even more for what he done for this club.

In saying that, you do wish he hadn't gone quite that far for his own sake.

Interesting comments on some of the bosses too!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3327 on: July 20, 2016, 01:58:49 pm »
This part stood out the most to me:

Playing for Liverpool in a Champions League final and at Anfield for the first time

“The feeling you have before a Champions League final or playing at Anfield for the first time is simply impossible to explain. It can’t be explained but it should be experienced. To have so many people who spend so much money and travel so far to see a game in which you are going to play in. That is dedication and I thought a lot about that.”

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3328 on: July 20, 2016, 02:01:49 pm »
I miss him, his tattoos are so hot
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline MrDub

• Anny Roader
  • Bumber clot!
« Reply #3329 on: July 20, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »
Good read, confirms what we suspected all along about the Hodge and Rodge :/

Newcastle are bloody lucky to have Rafa!
"I always say the same thing. What is the difference between 4-3-3 and 4-5-1? Only whether you play the wingers deep or high. Then if you press the other team they will play deep, 4-5-1. And if you cannot press them because they are stronger than you, they'll play 4-3-3. People talk about systems, but maybe they don't know a lot about systems.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3330 on: July 20, 2016, 02:22:12 pm »
Very interesting read. Especially on Hodgson and Rodgers.

Regarding Hodgson - pretty much says he was a shit coach. Who knew  :P
Regarding Rodgers - Further confirms that Rodgers wasn't very good at coaching defensive tactics. Also, this was revealing
“Everyone was quiet but I stood up and said: ‘How can you stand there and say that when we are only doing what you have been going on about all week.’

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”

Rodgers comes across as slightly insecure, for lack of a better word.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3331 on: July 20, 2016, 02:28:47 pm »
The Moyes story made me smile...

It's a sad story, and probably one that's more common than we realise. Although ultimately players are adults and professionals and have responsibility for themselves, there has to be more that the clubs, the leagues, the coaches and players unions can do to raise awareness of stuff like this.

The Hodgson stuff just confirms things we knew. Nobhead.

Wonder what will be next for Dagger? His ability to read the game was exceptional, maybe coaching or media?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3332 on: July 20, 2016, 02:32:53 pm »

Regarding Rodgers - Further confirms that Rodgers wasn't very good at coaching defensive tactics. Also, this was revealing

The worst bit of that for me is Rogers' reaction

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”.

It shows Rodgers' lack of authority. I know he is young and does not have the medals to point to, but I think it shows that the Liverpool job was too much too soon.

In my view a Liverpool manager needs to really be the boss. Even when the manager is wrong - everyone needs to understand that he is in charge. That is fair because it is his neck on the line if the team is doing badly.

Can you imagine Shankly or even Klopp standing for that from a player? You would have had to have taken Agger out of the dressing room in a box.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3333 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:16 pm »
Always love a defender who scores against United. Hope he has a happy retirement.

Loved what he said about Hodgson though. It just feels so spot on...

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3334 on: July 20, 2016, 02:47:45 pm »

I think it also shows that Rodgers held grudges, which I think was obvious from his time here. If he decided he didn't like you, whether you had a fall out or because he didn't want to sign you, then you weren't going to get the game time you deserved.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3335 on: July 20, 2016, 02:51:02 pm »
Exchange with Rodgers is very revealing. Goes to show that Rodgers didn't have a clue when it came to the defence. The turnaround in form of Lovren adds to that.

And had an ego the size of the hole in our defence.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3336 on: July 20, 2016, 02:56:15 pm »
The worst bit of that for me is Rogers' reaction

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”.

It shows Rodgers' lack of authority. I know he is young and does not have the medals to point to, but I think it shows that the Liverpool job was too much too soon.

In my view a Liverpool manager needs to really be the boss. Even when the manager is wrong - everyone needs to understand that he is in charge. That is fair because it is his neck on the line if the team is doing badly.

Can you imagine Shankly or even Klopp standing for that from a player? You would have had to have taken Agger out of the dressing room in a box.

Authority is an interesting concept. In my experience, the most authoritarian of managers are usually the most insecure. IF Klopp/Shankly said something and the players did exactly what he asked them to, but the other team kept creating chances, I don't think they would be having a go at the players. Instead, they would be making tactical amendments. Rodgers instead was blaming the two defenders there despite them following his instructions. Doesn't matter if it's Klopp or Shankly, but if a manager does that, they will quickly lose the respect of the player. It's a hyper-competitive environment and managers succeed by being fair, and not by lumping the blame on someone else and relying on their authority for players to not speak up.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3337 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:05 pm »
What was Hodgson hoping for? That European champion Fernando Torres would gain confidence by standing still and kicking balls into an empty net?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3338 on: July 20, 2016, 03:02:48 pm »
The Hodgson bit. My oh my. What a draining manager he must have been/is.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3339 on: July 20, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »
So we only signed him because the Ev turned him down? I wonder how long it'll take for them to take the credit for him.

Loved Agger. Could have been a really really great defender but for his injuries. I think his dislike of Hodgson was known already wasn't it? Didn't he say previously that he refused to defend the way Roy wanted him to, ie, hoof the fuck out of the ball any time it comes near him? Pretty much proves he's a dinosaur anyway.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3340 on: July 20, 2016, 03:21:06 pm »
Authority is an interesting concept. In my experience, the most authoritarian of managers are usually the most insecure. IF Klopp/Shankly said something and the players did exactly what he asked them to, but the other team kept creating chances, I don't think they would be having a go at the players. Instead, they would be making tactical amendments. Rodgers instead was blaming the two defenders there despite them following his instructions. Doesn't matter if it's Klopp or Shankly, but if a manager does that, they will quickly lose the respect of the player. It's a hyper-competitive environment and managers succeed by being fair, and not by lumping the blame on someone else and relying on their authority for players to not speak up.

Exactly! Shifting the blame and berating the player when tactics are probably at fault is the mark of an under-confident coach.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3341 on: July 20, 2016, 03:21:26 pm »
And had an ego the size of the hole in our defence.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3342 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:22 pm »
A man who knows the difference between a top manager and someone winging it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3343 on: July 20, 2016, 03:38:48 pm »
I remember a Rodgers post match conference, where he spoke about how strong Victor Anichebe is and how he had clearly instructed the CBs to let him have the ball rather than challenge for it and get turned. I'd imagine he instructed the players to do the same against Bony, and good on Dan to speak up and let him know his methods weren't working that day. We need more leaders like that in this team.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3344 on: July 20, 2016, 03:47:42 pm »
The comments about Hodgson were just tragic .
Sums up what an inept dinosaur of a Manager he was .

Wish we give Agger some sort of Ambassador role .One of the Liverpool players who u can confidently say understood how much playing for Liverpool meant for him .
Arguably one of the most loyal players in the modern era

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3345 on: July 20, 2016, 03:51:30 pm »

I agree with a lot of that.

To be fair, we do not know whether Agger was right or not. Maybe he was not doing what Rodgers had told him. It is not fair to just take his word for it. Rodgers has not had a chance to put his side of it.

Everyone gets it wrong occasionally, but there is a time and a place to challenge the manager and it is not half-time and rarely should it be done in front of the whole team. 

Obviously, managers have different styles, but I do not see how you can tolerate something like that. especially at half-time when you have only a few minutes to say what you need to say. If other players see a teammate getting away with that it almost certainly lowers their estimation of the manager.

There is a time and a place for ranting and raving, but if a player contradicts you like that publicly then I expect the manager to give it to him both barrels.

I cannot imagine Klopp simply muttering "whatever" in that situation.

FAOD I am a big Agger fan, though I think on this particular issues he was wrong. It is a real shame his body was not up to the life of an elite athlete. 
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3346 on: July 20, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »
I thought it was telling that even the physios saw Rodgers's insecurity for what it was. Loved Agger and the elegance of his defending, as well as the sincerity and honesty of his character.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #3347 on: July 20, 2016, 04:43:47 pm »
No one comes close as the most loyal, favorite player than Dagger. Pretty much spot on regarding Hodgson and Brendan.

I do feel Rafa Benitez got the best out of Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger.

Such a shame he still has aches and pains in retirement, hope he's able to take alot much better care of his health now. You can never know the extent of damaged caused by taking so many painkillers all those years.

A 70% Daniel Agger was still boss!
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #3348 on: July 20, 2016, 05:12:25 pm »

Absolutely

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3349 on: July 20, 2016, 05:15:54 pm »
I've always been of the belief that Rodgers' main fault was that he could never find a balance. He COULD organize us to look relatively solid at the back but it would often cause our attacking play to be insipid and dull as a result. I'm not saying he's a defensive genius by the way - I do believe that it's a major weakness of his management regardless of balance - but it seemed to me that he struggled to get the team to function as a unit and as a team both going forward and defensively.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3350 on: July 20, 2016, 05:50:40 pm »
I think pain is part of normal life for top athletes, not just football players. Shame that it has to go that far though. Can't be good for the players in the long run.

It never is. I remember Batistuta saying he begged a doctor to amputate his legs he was in that much agony after retiring; probably just latin american exaggeration but it highlighted the extreme levels of pain he was suffering.

Hindsight is beautiful but I can't help but think Agger should have called it quits after Kenny left.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3351 on: July 20, 2016, 06:02:47 pm »
As a pharmacist, that is not a normal reaction to a COX-2 inhibitor like Celebrex. Even in an 'overdose'. It's not a normal reaction to any anti-inflammatory.

The sedation and memory loss are extremely puzzling and concerning.

I'm sure he's been checked a thousands times in his career, which is reassuring, but if a patient came to me with those symptoms after long term NSAID use, I'd be sending them to get checked for cardiovascular issues.

*Long term NSAID use is troublesome for many other reasons, of course, mostly lifelong gastrointestinal issues but ocassionally cardiovascular. Opiates get a bad rap due to the obvious risk of addiction and the certain physical dependency - but they're non-toxic, have no long term effects on the body, and are by far the best option for long term pain in an ideal world.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:13:20 pm by NealFrom25Yards »

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3352 on: July 20, 2016, 06:03:49 pm »
I thought it was telling that even the physios saw Rodgers's insecurity for what it was. Loved Agger and the elegance of his defending, as well as the sincerity and honesty of his character.
Even the physios? Have any of them said anything about Rodgers?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3353 on: July 20, 2016, 06:30:34 pm »
Even the physios? Have any of them said anything about Rodgers?
as one of the physios said there was no need to apologise

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3354 on: July 20, 2016, 06:43:32 pm »
I know this gets overused and has become a cliche, but Agger was truly one of us, he totally got the club and the supporters.

Really sad to hear about the pain he still suffers from, hopefully there's a way he can eventually get everything sorted
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3355 on: July 20, 2016, 07:19:35 pm »
Interesting read especially the Rodgers bit enjoy a pain free retirement Danny.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3356 on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:06 pm »
I can remember on one European flight reporters saying he had to stand all the way to relieve the pain in his back.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3357 on: July 20, 2016, 07:29:03 pm »
This is one of the greatest defenders goals I've ever seen:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jNAAfP7ed8A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jNAAfP7ed8A</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3358 on: July 21, 2016, 12:21:50 am »
 Opiates get a bad rap due to the obvious risk of addiction and the certain physical dependency - but they're non-toxic, have no long term effects on the body, and are by far the best option for long term pain in an ideal world....

can you play footy on smack ?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3359 on: July 21, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
can you play footy on smack ?

I'm not sure Neal's into the needle ;D

Would be an interesting watch though. Lots of slow, repetitive football followed by a lie down at half time. George would have to play an appropriate soundtrack of the Velvets, Spaceman 3 and maybe some Brian Eno...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.