Author Topic: Daniel Agger  (Read 395391 times)

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Daniel Agger retires
« Reply #3280 on: June 9, 2016, 11:02:34 pm »
One of my favourite Liverpool players. 

Gutted he's had to call it a day at only 31, when he was fit he was a top class centre-back.  Hopefully we see him at Anfield a bit more often now, he's one of those players who had a real affinity for the club pretty much from the day he walked through the door and supporters loved him for it.

Congratulations on your career and all the very best for the future Daniel.

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3281 on: June 9, 2016, 11:05:40 pm »
We love him & he loves us, how footy should be .
YNWA Dan

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3282 on: June 9, 2016, 11:38:08 pm »
One of my favorite players in the last 15 years. Shame about the injuries and the toll on his body.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3283 on: June 9, 2016, 11:42:03 pm »
Genuinely think he might be my favourite player I've seen in a Liverpool shirt.  Seems strange saying that when he played in the same team as Gerrard and Carragher, Torres and Suarez, & Alonso and Mascherano, but there was just something about him.

Enjoy your retirement Daniel.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3284 on: June 9, 2016, 11:42:26 pm »
I wish him well. Great player.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3285 on: June 9, 2016, 11:46:39 pm »
What a great player he was. 31 is no age to retire but he's obviously listened to his body, it might well be a matter of him having to choose between being able to play about with his kids/grandchildren in the future or playing on for a couple of years. Given that he's probably got plenty of money in the bank he's made the right decision for himself and his family.

He seems like a really good guy does Danny Agger. About a decade ago when I was barely a teenager me and my mates used to go to Melwood a lot to get autographs and stuff (no pictures then unless you had a Canon camera!). Agger was always the most down to earth player of the lot. After signing autographs and whatever else he would talk to us, ask us how School was, what we thought about the game that had just passed or what we thought about a game upcoming. He had a lot of time for us and even though that's just a small sample I get the impression than Danny is like that in all walks of life.

Good luck with your retirement Danny, I'm sure you'll be back at the club in some capacity in the future.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3286 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:46 am »
One of my favorites for so many reasons. 

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #3287 on: June 10, 2016, 01:41:14 am »
That CL semi against Chelsea when the great Dane tucked home Stevie's free kick. I don't think I've celebrated a goal harder than that one.

If all of our players showed the heart and desire that Daniel Agger once did, then we'd be in a far better position.

Thank you for the memories, Danny. You're a true Red.

YNWA.

Offline jdegner

• Main Stander
  • LOVREN 90+1
« Reply #3288 on: June 10, 2016, 03:15:57 am »
Not having his shirt is a mistake. Time to get one now and add to my wall collection.
To remember. One of my all time fav players. Good luck Dagger and thanks for everything, YNWA.

... them brave speedy runs cross midfield ...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:46:26 am by jdegner »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #3289 on: June 10, 2016, 03:47:19 am »

He seems like a really good guy does Danny Agger. About a decade ago when I was barely a teenager me and my mates used to go to Melwood a lot to get autographs and stuff (no pictures then unless you had a Canon camera!). Agger was always the most down to earth player of the lot. After signing autographs and whatever else he would talk to us, ask us how School was, what we thought about the game that had just passed or what we thought about a game upcoming. He had a lot of time for us and even though that's just a small sample I get the impression than Danny is like that in all walks of life.

This is the least surprising thing I've heard in a while, but it's still great to hear that someone you imagine is a great guy in real life really is. Danny was my favourite player of this era (however you want to define that). Despite all his injuries, I never felt like he was brittle or played like he was vulnerable. He gave his all for us and loved the club the way we do. He'll always be associated with those great cup runs and our thrilling battles with Chelsea and Arsenal and the elite of Europe.

Thanks for everything, Danny. YNWA
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3290 on: June 10, 2016, 04:29:20 am »
Love him to bits. Class personified. All the best Danny!
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Online PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3291 on: June 10, 2016, 04:38:32 am »
proper LFC player... could have been a legend for this club... he still is for most of the fans anyway!

YNWA Daniel!!!

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3292 on: June 10, 2016, 06:16:51 am »
Good luck Danny

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3293 on: June 10, 2016, 06:26:56 am »
There will always be a what if question hanging in the air regarding his injuries but there's no player I've enjoyed watching more in my time as a Liverpool supporter than Daniel Agger. That includes Suarez, Gerrard, Torres and Alonso. The latter were a great night out in town, while watching Danny was like sitting on your balcony after and taking in a cigar late at night. Such a graceful, easy on the eye player.

Earned much of my respects for standing up to the Owl and saying exactly what the fans felt about his mentality and the type of football, which did not belong here.

Also not surprised at his lack of interest in the game in general. That resonates with the state of the game and also throws light into the type of down to earth, unassuming personality that is Daniel Agger.

Good luck and I hope he keeps loving the club and giving us something from time to time!

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #3294 on: June 10, 2016, 07:41:44 am »
I wish him the best of retirement and hopefully play for LFC legend. Dagger #YNWA
🔥97🔥

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #3295 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:34 am »
My YNWA tattoo's font is the same as his.

One of my favorite players of all time! For me he is up there with the likes of Carra and Stevie. He absolutely loves the club, and turned down a couple of offers not many players would in today's game.

Sad to see him retire at just 31, but all those injuries took their toll on him, I suppose.

He was a class act on and off the field, a true role model.

Wish him the best of luck in the future, and I absolutely would love for him to be back in some capacity some day.

YNWA

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3296 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:55 am »
Maybe he could become Liverpool's official tattooist
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3297 on: June 10, 2016, 11:46:12 am »
Shame that his career has been cut short. Fantastic when on form and represented the club with pride (with the tattoos to prove it)

He's doing some great charity work so long may that continue. Hope he can join the legends circuit as I bet he has some great stories to tell
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:47:50 am by gazzalfc »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3298 on: June 10, 2016, 12:14:16 pm »
Oh and special mention for this gif :D

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Agger
« Reply #3299 on: June 10, 2016, 12:42:24 pm »
top ass player with some top class tattoos!

got to give credit to him as we see more of our players getting inked.

Anyone notice coutinho getting in on the fun?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #3300 on: June 10, 2016, 12:46:53 pm »
Could watch that all day Gazza,

Best of luck to Dagger, loved him in a red shirt?

YNWA
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3301 on: June 10, 2016, 12:53:20 pm »
Could watch that all day Gazza,

Best of luck to Dagger, loved him in a red shirt?

YNWA
This.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3302 on: June 10, 2016, 01:13:32 pm »
Just such an elegant, yet tough as nails defender. Truly one of the best I have seen player for Liverpool, and I'm 36 now. I was gutted when he left for Brondby, but you can't build a team around players made of glass. As has been said so many times, that was the shame with Agger, same with Aurelio comes to mention it!

Have an awesome retirement Dan! Truly one of us.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3303 on: June 10, 2016, 01:45:23 pm »
There's something about Danny, no. Guys like Alonso had the quality, charm and class but at the end of the day still made good decisions for their own careers and left at the right time (for him). It's foolish speculating about Danny without ever having known him but somehow he's the one quality player under Rafa's tenure that made me think...he transcends all that.

Don't expect it, but it would be a sweet little touch if our club did something for him one last time, maybe a friendly or summat.

Edit: Gerrard goes without saying. Carra by his own admission wasn't good enough to be attracting top class interest!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:47:43 pm by Alphonse Monkeyface. Fuck you generator. »

Offline il_principino

• Main Stander
  • You will never walk alone!
« Reply #3304 on: June 10, 2016, 04:00:09 pm »
Shocking. They were talking of his move to Milan a few days back. Pfft.
---Aesthetic is everything------

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #3305 on: June 10, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »

My favourite player while he was here.

As others have already commented - he knew what it meant to play for Liverpool and was proud to wear the jersey.
Classy player on the pitch - classy guy off it.

Enjoy your retirement Danny and thanks for the memories.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #3306 on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:57 pm »
One of the few players who pledged their allegiance to the club during the dark days of the Gillett and Hicks era

Has YNWA tattoo'd on his knuckles

Scored a screamer against Chelsea in the 07 CL semi

Enough said. Legendary status granted

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #3307 on: June 10, 2016, 09:11:25 pm »
He really loved the club. Yes he has YNWA tattooed on his knuckles,  but the fact that he publicly voiced his concerns about our ownership by cancers speaks volumes for me. Thank you dagger, for wearing your heart on your sleeve.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3308 on: June 11, 2016, 01:02:48 am »
Irrelevant to anyone but myself, but Dan Agger scored the first goal in the league at the Kop end after my kid was born. I'm sure, but not certain, it was some sort of anniversary of the Kops 100th birthday. The game was West Ham anyway in late August. My son was only about 7 weeks old, but I had him in front of the TV in his bouncy chair jobby and his first kit. Dan brings the ball from defence to midfield. No one closes him down. I can see his intentions, and I clearly state in front of 3 other people, "Oh for fuck sake don't be shooting from there"

I'm glad he didn't listen to me. A fitting goal for my lads first ever game, even though he'll never remember a thing.

Dirk Kurt's debut also if I remember correctly? Nearly got one  the scoresheet, but knew from then on he'd be appreciated by every true red.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline KingLucas

• Boys Pen
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #3309 on: June 11, 2016, 11:39:46 am »
Agger was a rare breed, don't get many players like him no more. Seem to remember him linked with City/ Barca a few times, his loyalty never shirked.

That goal against Chelsea in the CL Semi was my highlight of his time here... an the Torres 'tackle'.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3310 on: June 11, 2016, 01:03:26 pm »
I'd have loved him just for his oblique dig at Hodgson.

But good luck to him whatever he does next. Always going to be a warm welcome for him from Liverpool supporters.

some decent articles on Agger (containing Hodgson) from TAW & Metro:-

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/09/liverpool-daniel-agger-success-is-to-live-as-one-wants/

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/09/daniel-agger-great-shame/

http://metro.co.uk/2011/02/11/liverpool-were-st-under-roy-hodgson-says-daniel-agger-638204/

and his open letter to us fans after leaving:-

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-agger-writes-open-letter-7698266
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline MartianRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #3311 on: June 12, 2016, 11:12:43 am »
Daniel Agger is Liverpool through and through - there's no doubt about that. I've run across following article in German. Apparently he was forced to take pain meds by the medical staff  (Zak & co ? )while playing for Pool. This is a pattern which continued after he left us and the key moment was when he had to take so many pain meds to be fit for a Brondby game that he fell asleep and during the game was so out of it that he had to be taken off after 29 minutes.
Gotta feel for the lad :( Wish him all the best !

http://www.sport1.de/internationaler-fussball/premier-league/2016/06/schmerzmittel-daniel-agger-erhebt-schwere-vorwuerfe-gegen-liverpool

The original article is in Danish:
http://www.jyllands-posten.dk/protected/premium/indblik/serie/ECE8689984/8-marts-2015/

Obviously can't tell if anything got lost in translation since I don't understand much Danish and it requires a paid subscription to read the full article.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3312 on: July 20, 2016, 11:31:57 am »
Daniel Agger is Liverpool through and through - there's no doubt about that. I've run across following article in German. Apparently he was forced to take pain meds by the medical staff  (Zak & co ? )while playing for Pool. This is a pattern which continued after he left us and the key moment was when he had to take so many pain meds to be fit for a Brondby game that he fell asleep and during the game was so out of it that he had to be taken off after 29 minutes.
Gotta feel for the lad :( Wish him all the best !

http://www.sport1.de/internationaler-fussball/premier-league/2016/06/schmerzmittel-daniel-agger-erhebt-schwere-vorwuerfe-gegen-liverpool

The original article is in Danish:
http://www.jyllands-posten.dk/protected/premium/indblik/serie/ECE8689984/8-marts-2015/

Obviously can't tell if anything got lost in translation since I don't understand much Danish and it requires a paid subscription to read the full article.

Article now in the Guardian with translation, sounds like the painkiller situation was terrible:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3313 on: July 20, 2016, 12:22:22 pm »
Article now in the Guardian with translation, sounds like the painkiller situation was terrible:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/20/daniel-agger-liverpool-story-athletes-pills
Hodgson :butt
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3314 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:14 pm »
Hodgson :butt

Nothing we didn't know already. Roy is a c*nt and Rodgers knows next to nothing about organizing a defense.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #3315 on: July 20, 2016, 12:32:55 pm »
Has any footballer who has worked under Hodgson ever had a positive word to say about him?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3316 on: July 20, 2016, 12:49:48 pm »
One of my favourite players in the last 10 years. That elbow on Torres was such a memorable moment. A true red. I hope he'll have a chance to be on our coaching staff one day.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3317 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »
Has any footballer who has worked under Hodgson ever had a positive word to say about him?

Danny Murphy?

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
Danny Agger - Interesting Article
« Reply #3318 on: July 20, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »
Interesting read from Danny Agger, on painkillers. Rafa, Rodgers and Hodgson

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Danny Agger - Interesting Article
« Reply #3319 on: July 20, 2016, 01:26:06 pm »
Wow, amazing what athletes will put their own body through. Always liked Agger, think most of us did.