Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310650 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1920 on: February 6, 2018, 09:06:20 pm »
Don’t panic...

Now in orbit around the sun....   Douglas Adams ..... would he ever have loved that
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1921 on: February 6, 2018, 09:08:30 pm »

Absolutely incredible..

Who wouldn’t want to be involved in this?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1922 on: February 6, 2018, 09:15:32 pm »
Watching those boosters land simultaneously like that was incredible. A watershed moment for space travel. SpaceX has taken the lead on space travel in less than 10 mins.

The nostalgic in me feels slightly sorry for NASA at this point as they have become less relevant at this point.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: February 6, 2018, 09:16:44 pm »
Those 27 engines side by side looked like sci fi......

Beautiful.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1924 on: February 6, 2018, 09:25:36 pm »
So the central core wasn’t expected to survive ...

It had previously been involved in a very high  retrothrust landing on water..  it wasn’t expected to survive that...

They used it again in the expectation it certainly wouldn’t be so lucky this time..
W

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1925 on: February 6, 2018, 09:29:28 pm »
Did it survive?  I mean, even having the option to refurbish and reuse a stage once has huge benefits. 

That said, to get the max 60,000kg payload the rocket has to be flown in a non-reuseable configuration anyway.  The configuration launched today is probably great for space probes but once you're into manned missions to the moon and beyond you're going to end up writing off a lot of hardware.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1926 on: February 6, 2018, 09:37:51 pm »
Sales of Tesla roadsters now will easily pay for the next launch

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: February 6, 2018, 09:43:54 pm »
Center core missed the landing by 20-30ft due to an overburn.

https://youtu.be/-B_tWbjFIGI

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1928 on: February 6, 2018, 10:40:05 pm »
Is some dude just floating about in space in a car or What?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: February 6, 2018, 10:53:35 pm »
Is some dude just floating about in space in a car or What?
Yep...

Going through the Van Allen belt as we speak.... on route to mars.
W

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1930 on: February 6, 2018, 11:02:50 pm »
Just seen those two boosters landing, incredible stuff. When we put our minds to it, us humans are pretty amazing, the other 98% of the time we are pretty fucking backwards.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1931 on: February 6, 2018, 11:11:53 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/embed/aBr2kKAHN6M

Live stream from a car in space...

Ha ha ha ha

That’s fuxking amazing
W

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: February 6, 2018, 11:48:06 pm »
Just seen those two boosters landing, incredible stuff. When we put our minds to it, us humans are pretty amazing, the other 98% of the time we are pretty fucking backwards.

Pretty much my feelings after seeing events today, i want my fellow humans to be forward and as visionary as the space x project

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1933 on: February 7, 2018, 01:16:10 am »
Final and most important  boost in a couple of hours,hopefully it works because the idea of a guy sending a car he designed into space on a rocket he designed is just too perfect.

Best space junk ever.Cheap bastard could've  put some spinners on it though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1934 on: February 7, 2018, 03:05:08 am »
Coolest picture of the year.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: February 7, 2018, 03:30:14 am »
Coolest picture of the year.

I see my $5 donation is going to good use at NASA. I thought it would buy them a space sandwich or something.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1936 on: February 7, 2018, 06:54:39 am »
https://www.youtube.com/embed/aBr2kKAHN6M

Live stream from a car in space...

Ha ha ha ha

That’s fuxking amazing

Just watched a full 360 degree rotation. It is utterly surreal, but also imcomparably beautiful.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1937 on: February 7, 2018, 07:19:17 am »
Elon Musk and SpaceX as a company should be proud, what an achievement, that was literally one of the coolest things I ever did see, in a way as a space geek I was always bummed I never got to live through the space race and the hype about going to the launches and everyone watching and being proud of what we (humanity) were achieving... and now I watch that... and the side booster landing in sync... fucking so cool!

Fair play to Elon, the guy is cool and he does things differently, the affordability of this compared to the official government launches is night and day too!

In a way its sad for me that it should governments aren't putting enough cash into the next frontier... or at least not challenging their companies enough... for example if BFR works, the diameter of the rocket and that is what, 9M? Maybe they will push to 10M? Compared to the 3.5M that has always been used which is why sattelites have to be packed so tightly and in origami like fashion, why had no one else challenged that design until now? Was it cause too expensive to rebuild the pads and funding gets cut every year, the whole reusability of things and the landing styles instead of parachutes etc... it's weird it's taken an individual/individual company to put this out there for me, governments have far more people at their disposal (NASA as example - Ł20B budget per year with 17000+ staff compared to SpaceX with with only 7000 staff but not sure on spending)

Either way, glad the private sector is getting involved and to a serious level, everyone said he wasn't gonna be able to do many things, but here he is, with his people, getting it done.

Shame about the Central Core but it can happen.

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1938 on: February 7, 2018, 08:04:21 am »
Agree @PhilV.  Amazing events and a reminder that innovation doesn't need to suffer - even if Musk just made a relic of NASA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: February 7, 2018, 08:31:32 am »
Tesla's advertising strategy for the next decade

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1940 on: February 7, 2018, 08:32:00 am »
I watched the live feed last night on the guardian and was transfixed. What a thing. It is fantastic that human endeavour and space exploration is still producing moments of awe. Watching those two rockets land was balletic. I doff my cap to Mr Musk - the world needs people like him and dare I say it, Richard Branson, who are prepared to invest so much money into these things and whilst I understand that they will ultimately earn huge money from them it is fantastic that they are prepared to take the risk. Modern day versions of the victorian entrepreneurs who have vision.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1941 on: February 7, 2018, 09:19:12 am »
coolest thing ever.

gives me hope for humanity to know there are people like Elon Musk.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1942 on: February 7, 2018, 09:27:31 am »
How great was that!

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1943 on: February 7, 2018, 09:49:33 am »
Final and most important  boost in a couple of hours,hopefully it works because the idea of a guy sending a car he designed into space on a rocket he designed is just too perfect.

Best space junk ever.Cheap bastard could've  put some spinners on it though.

I reading the boost was to strong and will overshoot Mars and head towards the asteroid belt
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1944 on: February 7, 2018, 09:50:36 am »
Absolutely fascinating.

When those boosters landed in unison I thought it was a simulation at first, it just looked too perfect! That was one of the most amazing things I've seen

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: February 7, 2018, 10:30:18 am »
Small points not mentioned

In the cars glovebox is a towel and a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

On the dashboard is a Hotwheels roadster with a mini spaceman figure in the car

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: February 7, 2018, 10:50:42 am »
Another view of the landings with added sonic booms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: February 7, 2018, 11:42:32 am »
I'm presuming the car has had no special modifications? Other than the tyres being flat of course.  ;)

It will actually be very interesting to me to see how an ordinary everyday object like a car is affected by space.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1948 on: February 7, 2018, 11:47:36 am »
Small points not mentioned

In the cars glovebox is a towel and a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

On the dashboard is a Hotwheels roadster with a mini spaceman figure in the car

Between that and Bowie playing on a loop this just became even more epic and brilliant. All he needed was an LFC scarf (preferably old school hand knitted red and white) and the spaceman would have been complete  ;)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: February 7, 2018, 11:47:37 am »
The projected travel map

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: February 7, 2018, 12:25:08 pm »
Fantastic marketing campaign for Tesla.  ;)

Great achievement in all seriousness. SpaceX are sending rockets into space at a fraction of the cost of others while making it feasible to reuse them is a massive step. The progress in 16 years is fantastic.  (Branson still can’t get his team to crack Galactic.)
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1951 on: February 7, 2018, 12:26:02 pm »
It’s not going make it into the Mars orbit. It looks like it will head to the asteroid belt.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1952 on: February 7, 2018, 12:27:51 pm »
I'm presuming the car has had no special modifications? Other than the tyres being flat of course.  ;)

It will actually be very interesting to me to see how an ordinary everyday object like a car is affected by space.

Musk during his post launch press briefing said the car will run out of battery power in 12 hours and it's those batteries that were powering the light and camera beaming back the live video. Once that runs out that's it to be left floating for eternity.

He was also asked about the suit and if it had any telemetry or anything to test on it and he said no. Its a fully working SpaceX suit but its only there because it looks cool.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1953 on: February 7, 2018, 12:29:36 pm »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: February 7, 2018, 01:12:16 pm »
Musk during his post launch press briefing said the car will run out of battery power in 12 hours and it's those batteries that were powering the light and camera beaming back the live video. Once that runs out that's it to be left floating for eternity.

He was also asked about the suit and if it had any telemetry or anything to test on it and he said no. Its a fully working SpaceX suit but its only there because it looks cool.

That's a shame.  Can't help but wonder how chrome and ordinary glass will fare under the full glare of the sun's radiation.  Should have put some solar panels on the bonnet or something.  ;D

That said it's an Earth crossing orbit - maybe they'll send a retrieval mission in about three years.

Popcorn's Art

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1955 on: February 7, 2018, 02:19:17 pm »
Another view of the landings with added sonic booms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Coolest thing ever :)

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1956 on: February 7, 2018, 05:13:55 pm »
imagine some great spacefaring civilization picking it up in about 1000 years and thinking "how the fuck did they fly this thing?" ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1957 on: February 7, 2018, 05:55:04 pm »
That's a shame.  Can't help but wonder how chrome and ordinary glass will fare under the full glare of the sun's radiation.  Should have put some solar panels on the bonnet or something.  ;D

That said it's an Earth crossing orbit - maybe they'll send a retrieval mission in about three years.

He made a joke that he imagines some alien civilization or us in thousands of years finding it and wondering why we put it up there in the 1st place

Everything about that car was just to send a statement to governments etc that any future satellite launches with a SpaceX rocket dont need to be scrunched into a tiny pod like an origami animal. He's like 'look we can put a car in it fine'. The payloads can be larger than any previous launch with any other space agency and done at a fraction of the price (if they can recover the central core).

Plus it looks cool :P

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: February 7, 2018, 08:37:32 pm »
This is quite cool.

https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1959 on: February 7, 2018, 09:12:56 pm »
This is quite cool.

https://youtu.be/ImoQqNyRL8Y

meh, I could still hear the shutters. ;)

Seriously That is exactly why I spent a hundred quid on these new headphones. ;D

Popcorn's Art