539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1447013 times)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #22120 on: April 29, 2019, 03:45:13 pm »
Much consternation over tomorrow’s Labour NEC meeting & whether EU election manifesto will include second referendum. But senior source predicts most likely outcome is repetition of conference policy/fudge: a fresh vote but *only* as final option (and *only* on a Tory Brexit).

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1122781485935857664

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22121 on: April 29, 2019, 03:50:12 pm »
"they want to change the way politics is being run in this country" - where is the substance? Not all change is good. Brexit and Trump are changes.

No they aren't. But they came about because people want change, they want to feel represented.  That's why the current system needs to change, because if it doesn't, we are likely to see bad changes, as opposed to good ones.

Society needs monumental changes to start addressing the major issues of today and tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:55:34 pm by Red-Soldier »

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #22122 on: April 29, 2019, 04:26:27 pm »
been on leave for a few weeks and didnt access as much news when away

it was lovely not to read about brexit
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22123 on: April 29, 2019, 04:29:06 pm »

Agreed. Think I almost fooled myself that Brexit had been cancelled.

My heart sinks a bit when this thread gets new posts. Each time I consider ignoring it, or removing it from my subscribed threads. But then I remember how serious this all is, grit my teeth and click...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22124 on: April 29, 2019, 06:06:06 pm »
Sources close to the Labour leader believe that tomorrow the emergency NEC meeting, which determines the Labour manifesto for the EU elections, will agree a formula that is "a restatement" of the party's equivocal and prolix party conference resolution of last September. BUT...

a senior trade union source tells me that if Unison, GMB and Usdaw are bulldozed tomorrow, if their demand for Labour to commit to a "confirmatory" referendum on any Brexit deal is simply ignored, Corbyn and his colleagues are "being delusional about the likely consequences"...

The well-placed trade unionist added: "they have no idea what's going to hit them and the scale of the backlash they will face". Which captures for you how emotions are running very high. And given that Unison, the GMB and Usdaw are respectively the first, third and fourth...

biggest trade unions in the UK, they can certainly cause trouble for Corbyn, if so minded. So is there a compromise that would allow honour to be satisfied on both sides? Well one idea being touted is that Labour could put in its manifesto that there should be a referendum....

on any Brexit deal proposed by the government this side of a general election, or a confirmatory public vote on what would be characterised as a "Tory" Brexit deal. As the founder of Momentum @jonlansman implied yesterday, that would be consistent with part of the...

epic conference resolution, since it included the phrase that "if the government is confident in negotiating a deal that working people, our economy and communities will benefit from they should not be afraid to put that deal to the public".  It also said that "when trade...

unions have a mandate to negotiate a deal for their members, the final deal is accepted or rejected by the membership" - which again implies that Labour's preference is for a confirmatory ballot. The big point is that a Labour pledge to campaign for a confirmatory referendum...

on any Brexit shaped by @theresa_may or her successor, this side of the next general election, would be consistent with existing Labour policy, even if it would be considerably clearer and less ambiguous than the current position. It would allow Labour candidates for the EU...

parliament to say, without keeping their fingers crossed behind their back, that they and their party are in favour of a referendum, which most of them say is precisely what they need and want.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1122905308345643008

Some of the unions applying the pressure that many in the PLP are failing to.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22125 on: April 29, 2019, 06:11:30 pm »
Some of the unions applying the pressure that many in the PLP are failing to.

Unions have much more leverage than PLP. PLP used most of their's trying to support a candidate who was unambiguously pro-EU.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22126 on: April 29, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »

Well quite.

The government are probably hard at work.... Who am I kidding

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22127 on: April 29, 2019, 06:19:46 pm »
Unions have much more leverage than PLP. PLP used most of their's trying to support a candidate who was unambiguously pro-EU.

If you're referring to Owen Smith, that was nearly 3 years ago. Since then, I don't think the collective approach has been good enough, and that's putting it mildly.

As recently as this morning, Stephen Kinnock (so not a Hoey headbanger type) was talking down the idea of a 2nd referendum.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22128 on: April 29, 2019, 08:17:48 pm »
Because they're not acting in a way that commands support. Their actions don't match their rhetoric and are similar to the actions of the parties they left behind.

So they're not acting in a positive new way, nor do they have any electoral track record to point to yet you, and they are demanding that everyone votes for them instead of more established, and consistently pro-EU parties like the Lib Dems and Greens. Can you not see why that annoys some people? They're not setting the polls alight at the moment, and I'm not surprised.

Have Change UK unveiled any detailed proposals yet as to how they plan to "change" politics, such as the law changes and inquiries you hope for? If not, why not?
I can see why people want them to form some sort of alliance to fight the MEP elections other than that then no, I can't see why people who felt they had no political representation being annoyed with them ,why did people feel they were not being represented, they knew our politicians were telling lies for a number of reasons. some wanted Brexit to happen, some appeased the hard right nutters. some kept quiet except to say we must respect the result of the referendum. they saw the 2 parties hijacked taking both parties to extreme right/left position for the foreseeable future.
People who felt unrepresented cried out for a centre party to hold the extreme right/left to account, is that not a positive, I really don't see MPs leaving their parties and going independent achieving much.
Can they be trusted ? they have proven they have put the countries interests first on a daily basis, they have been attacked from all sides doing it. they have been threatened to the point of needing police protection. they are still standing up to be counted, I don't know how anyone who opposes Brexit doesn't see that as a positive, they deserve the public's support, of course there are a lot of Labour MPs standing up and fighting taking similar abuse. this was a opportunity to show them the public will get behind them if they take jump and move to Change UK. they will probably all stay put if ChangeUK flop. large numbers of MPs won't go it alone that's for sure. the message will be the public aren't very loyal, you can lay everything on the line to protect them but they will judge you on other things and walk away.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:22:54 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22129 on: April 29, 2019, 09:37:22 pm »
If you're referring to Owen Smith, that was nearly 3 years ago. Since then, I don't think the collective approach has been good enough, and that's putting it mildly.

As recently as this morning, Stephen Kinnock (so not a Hoey headbanger type) was talking down the idea of a 2nd referendum.

Kinnock is absolutely opposed to a second referendum. He's one of the Labour MPs trying to push 'Norway +', or whatever it's now called.

In terms of internal party politics, you can see how little influence the PLP has in other things. Which led to TIG being formed. They're currently in Watson's self-help group figuring out what's left for them to do but sound off or leave. It's the unions who have the clout to force changes when the leadership digs in.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22130 on: April 29, 2019, 11:45:09 pm »
Kinnock is absolutely opposed to a second referendum. He's one of the Labour MPs trying to push 'Norway +', or whatever it's now called.

In terms of internal party politics, you can see how little influence the PLP has in other things. Which led to TIG being formed. They're currently in Watson's self-help group figuring out what's left for them to do but sound off or leave. It's the unions who have the clout to force changes when the leadership digs in.

Any MP differing from Corbyn is accused of being a Blairite, a neolib, a red Tory, etc. Thus it's left to the supposed recognised left of the party, ie. the unions, to state the case that should have been listened to from the PLP. If the Corbyn faction ignores the unions too, then there is nothing left of the Labour party bar Corbyn's faction.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22131 on: April 30, 2019, 12:51:29 am »
Any MP differing from Corbyn is accused of being a Blairite, a neolib, a red Tory, etc. Thus it's left to the supposed recognised left of the party, ie. the unions, to state the case that should have been listened to from the PLP. If the Corbyn faction ignores the unions too, then there is nothing left of the Labour party bar Corbyn's faction.

It's also about power within the internal structure of the party. The PLP have very little actual power other than their soapboxes. Think there's 14 or 15 seats on the NEC just for the unions. PLP, outside shadow frontbench, get three to share with MEPs.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22132 on: April 30, 2019, 10:30:03 am »

See i keep reading these spurious comments by you,  but exactly who is calling anyone remain labour members or MP's these childish names in the Brexit debate can you provide documented evidence to prove this claim?

If you can please ensure it isnt some nutjob on twitter who probably isnt even a member or supporter of the party and most likely still waiting for puberty to happen.

Now after dealing with that flim/flam i would like nothing better than we have a referendum on the final options to me that is the correct thing to do, given the total lack of confidence in the government and parliaments ability to ensure a decent workable brexit ( if there is one?)
The problem as i see it is that Corbyn and the leadership would be hung for a Sheep or a Lamb on this matter, if he and the party goes gung ho for the Remain slanted referendum which is how the leavers see it and how the media slants it now, people will be banging on in here and in the media that he is sending Labour members and voters who voted for Brexit into the arms of Frottage and the other brexiteers.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #22133 on: April 30, 2019, 10:56:57 am »
Not sure if this is damning of Change UK or of the UK population (I suspect both)....

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22134 on: April 30, 2019, 11:06:00 am »
Not sure if this is damning of Change UK or of the UK population (I suspect both)....

At least the general population knows more about Labour's position than RAWK.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22135 on: April 30, 2019, 11:44:17 am »
See i keep reading these spurious comments by you,  but exactly who is calling anyone remain labour members or MP's these childish names in the Brexit debate can you provide documented evidence to prove this claim?

If you can please ensure it isnt some nutjob on twitter who probably isnt even a member or supporter of the party and most likely still waiting for puberty to happen.

Now after dealing with that flim/flam i would like nothing better than we have a referendum on the final options to me that is the correct thing to do, given the total lack of confidence in the government and parliaments ability to ensure a decent workable brexit ( if there is one?)
The problem as i see it is that Corbyn and the leadership would be hung for a Sheep or a Lamb on this matter, if he and the party goes gung ho for the Remain slanted referendum which is how the leavers see it and how the media slants it now, people will be banging on in here and in the media that he is sending Labour members and voters who voted for Brexit into the arms of Frottage and the other brexiteers.

Depends on what you call twitter nutjobs. You'd have thought that policy as declared by the Labour conference and as stated by the shadow minister would be the Labour position. But the position that the party regularly repositions to is that stated by the leader, and the clique represented by Milne, McCluskey, Murray, etc. is closer to that stated by the leader. So even if you try to dismiss these twitocrats as cranks, they dictate Labour party policy more than the Labour membership, shadow cabinet, etc.

The Labour party conference stated its preferred policy on Brexit. The first step is to try for a general election. That isn't possible. What is the next step? What did the conference say? What does the twitocracy say? Which is closer to the position stated by the leader?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22136 on: April 30, 2019, 12:09:07 pm »

It would be interesting to know whether the people in the poll voted leave or remain.
I wouldn't assume the 42 % who think Labour are remain party are remain voters themselve. no way of knowing the stats but I think a large proportion of that 42 %figure are probably leave voters who thinking Labour are betraying them.
I would have liked the people running the poll to ask the people who have no idea what ChangeUK stance on Brexit whether they voted leave or remain, would give us a idea of how many leave voters actually follow the news and Brexit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:10:51 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #22137 on: April 30, 2019, 12:18:47 pm »

That must have been a leading question surely?  It implies 100% of people were aware there *is* a brexit party, which is unlikely - more likely they saw the name and not unreasonably drew a conclusion.

Interesting where the Tories find themselves, eh?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22138 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:20 pm »

Those figures are actually very worrying for Corbyn. Leaving aside the fact that Corbyn is, and always has been, a Brexiteer (including before the term was invented), the LP policy over the past 18 months has been one of “constructive ambiguity”. It has been kicking the can down the road over Europe every bit as much as May once did and, as the months have gone by, it has made a second referendum highly unlikely through sheer inaction. In that sense it is a Brexit party.

However, tragically for Corbyn, the working class don’t believe him. That policy of constructive ambiguity is either too subtle or too devious for them. Only a small percentage of those Brexiteer voters have understood the game. On top of this Farridge has come along and made an unambiguous pitch for those same working class voters. No subtlety there. It’s the Brexit Party stupid!

That’s Labour’s problem as a Brexit party. It will always be outdone by the zealots on the Right, for whom the language of “England” and “nationalism” comes much easier. Unless it’s Palestine or Ireland, say, the Corbynistas struggle to speak the language of nationalism. They can never wave that St George’s flag as vigorously as Farridge and UKIP can. But nor, it seems, have they the honesty, the will, or the courage to tell the working class Brexit voters that they are wrong.

It’s the worst of both worlds and they will pay a big price.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22139 on: April 30, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »
Those figures are actually very worrying for Corbyn. Leaving aside the fact that Corbyn is, and always has been, a Brexiteer (including before the term was invented), the LP policy over the past 18 months has been one of “constructive ambiguity”. It has been kicking the can down the road over Europe every bit as much as May once did and, as the months have gone by, it has made a second referendum highly unlikely through sheer inaction. In that sense it is a Brexit party.

However, tragically for Corbyn, the working class don’t believe him. That policy of constructive ambiguity is either too subtle or too devious for them. Only a small percentage of those Brexiteer voters have understood the game. On top of this Farridge has come along and made an unambiguous pitch for those same working class voters. No subtlety there. It’s the Brexit Party stupid!

That’s Labour’s problem as a Brexit party. It will always be outdone by the zealots on the Right, for whom the language of “England” and “nationalism” comes much easier. Unless it’s Palestine or Ireland, say, the Corbynistas struggle to speak the language of nationalism. They can never wave that St George’s flag as vigorously as Farridge and UKIP can. But nor, it seems, have they the honesty, the will, or the courage to tell the working class Brexit voters that they are wrong.

As has been said above, those numbers are indeed meaningless without knowing who voted which way. If Brexiters see Labour as anti-Brexit and remainers see them as pro-Brexit, then you're right, they're doomed. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It’s the worst of both worlds and they will pay a big price.

We'll see. Interestingly, in London, Labour are polling some 10% higher than their nearest challengers (Brexit party), while the Tories have slumped to 11% (below ChUK, and just fractionally above the Lib Dems and the Greens).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tories-slump-to-fourth-place-behind-labour-nigel-Frottage-and-change-uk-in-new-euro-elections-poll-a4130211.html

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22140 on: April 30, 2019, 02:18:14 pm »
That must have been a leading question surely?  It implies 100% of people were aware there *is* a brexit party, which is unlikely - more likely they saw the name and not unreasonably drew a conclusion.
That is part of the issue, though. Dunt, and others, have spoken about this. How the Brexit Party is painting with bold, primary colours. Making their position perfectly clear, even in their name, and thus acting like a lightning rod for all the disaffected from other parties, as well as for dyed-in-the-wool Brexiters.

Change UK The TIGGY Independent Group Party or whatever their name is this week, is just so vague and undistinguished in comparison, as are the Greens (name associated with other things) and Lib Dems (name definitely associated with other things) and Labour.

It's not an easy situation to solve as each of the Remain Parties see themselves as something more than a single issue party and so you can't expect them to just call themselves The Remain Party, but that just demonstrates yet again how the right wingers are prepared to hit the nail on the head and do the clear, obvious thing, and how once again the good guys, for understandable reasons, no doubt, nevertheless obfuscate themselves into near irrelevance.

Always a step or two ahead, always quicker off the mark, always shrewder and more purposeful, and better at planning and at strategic shithousery. Add to that their preparedness to find common cause, work with others of their ilk that they might not agree 100% and that they are unencumbered with shame or honour and it's easy to see why the right clean up so often in this country even though they are bad for the majority.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22141 on: April 30, 2019, 02:20:59 pm »
We'll see. Interestingly, in London, Labour are polling some 10% higher than their nearest challengers (Brexit party), while the Tories have slumped to 11% (below ChUK, and just fractionally above the Lib Dems and the Greens).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tories-slump-to-fourth-place-behind-labour-nigel-Frottage-and-change-uk-in-new-euro-elections-poll-a4130211.html

Labour polls higher than new Brexit party in London shocker.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #22142 on: April 30, 2019, 02:23:30 pm »
TIG/Change UK = People's Vote Party.

Boom. They don't die at their first election. Get the exposure, then when they've hopefully helped achieve a peoples vote and are plastered all over the news and feel they're ready for a general election, make a big song and dance about changing their name to Change UK (or whatever else).

I can understand they don't want to tie their hands so early on, but they only have one policy that anyone knows of (People's Vote) and as yet don't stand for anything else (other then some vague notion of returning to a polished 'centrist' politics that has already been rejected across most Western democracies). So might as well go all in on the People's Vote.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:26:22 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22143 on: April 30, 2019, 02:42:11 pm »
Brexit: Jeremy C*nt warns against Labour's customs union plan

Foreign Secretary Jeremy C*nt has warned Theresa May against agreeing a Brexit deal with Labour that involves a customs union with the EU.

Mr Hunt suggested that such an agreement would result in even fewer Tory MPs backing a deal in Parliament.

But Jeremy Corbyn insists his support is contingent on ministers accepting the need for a customs union.

Supporters say it would be better for businesses, but opponents feel it stops the UK setting its own trade policy.

Talks between Labour and the government have been taking place for a number of weeks after Mrs May's Brexit deal with the EU was effectively rejected for a third time by MPs.

Downing Street says further talks are being scheduled "in order to bring the process toward a conclusion" - and according to BBC Newsnight's political editor Nicholas Watt, a sense of urgency is growing.

Labour has previously complained that the government appeared unwilling to move on the possibility of a customs union.

But the PM's de facto deputy David Lidington said on Monday that the latest round of talks had been "productive", while Labour described them as "constructive".

Mr Hunt told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "If we were proposing - which I very much hope we don't - to sign up to the customs union, then I think there is a risk you would lose more Conservative MPs than you would gain Labour MPs."

However, he said he "definitely" thought the government could secure a deal that MPs would back.

Other cabinet ministers - including International Trade Secretary Liam Fox - have also recently signalled their unease at a customs union agreement.

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell tweeted that Mr Hunt's comment did "not inspire confidence that if a deal is agreed it would be successfully entrenched and last any longer than the next Tory leadership election".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48105357

The aforementioned Tweet from Nicholas Watt
Looks like cabinet ministers were left with clear impression from Theresa May that cross party Brexit talks with Labour need to reach a conclusion by middle of next week

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1123188891161440257
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:45:15 pm by ShakaHislop »

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22144 on: April 30, 2019, 03:02:48 pm »
Labour polls higher than new Brexit party in London shocker.

Given the context (the post I was replying to), the point was that Labour are polling higher than any party in London. I agree, though, that this is no shocker at all.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22145 on: April 30, 2019, 03:48:40 pm »
Corbynista left splits over Brexit referendum

Brexit is fomenting a significant split in the alliance of Labour left-wing activists that keeps Jeremy Corbyn in power, because of his and the party leadership’s reluctance to commit to hold a referendum on any Brexit deal.

A senior and influential activist told me: “Discussions are under way between leading Momentum activists, anti-Brexit MPs and campaign groups about a new process for drawing up a left slate for this year's NEC election”.

What this means, he said, is that there would no longer be a joint slate of candidates put forward by Momentum and the much older hard-left campaigning group, the Campaign for Labour Party Democracy, or CPLD, which was Corbyn’s ideological and spiritual home for decades.

The influential Labour figure told me: “Prominent activists on the left have privately signalled they will seek to remove any NEC member…who votes against a second referendum” from the section of the ruling NEC that represents constituency Labour parties and their members.

What this means in practice is that Corbyn loyalists could lose control of Labour’s ruling NEC, given that the vote of those who think of themselves as part of the Corbyn project would no longer be unified.

It shows that just like Theresa May’s weakening hold on her own party, Brexit is undermining Corbyn’s control of his party too.

For both parties, Brexit – or in Labour’s case, opposition to it – is trumping party loyalties. An activist said it matters that NEC members should be “people prepared to resist pressure” from Jeremy Corbyn’s office and allies “on behalf of the membership”, which largely wants a confirmatory public ballot on Brexit.

It is highly significant that activists are disclosing their deep concern that many of the nine so-called CLP members of the NEC, who are supposed to represent the membership, may fail to push for a referendum in today’s crunch NEC meeting that will decide the content of Labour’s manifesto for the EU elections.

This split on the left will be a particular dilemma for the Labour veteran Jon Lansman, who founded Momentum and was an important early player in the CPLD.

9.36am update

As a sign of the internal split within Momentum, its official spokesman insisted “nobody is going be removed from the [the movement’s NEC] slate because of their views on Brexit”.

Which I presume is Jon Lansman’s attempt to pour oil on troubled waters. But it is difficult to see how he could enforce a “no recriminations” edict in practice.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-30/corbynista-left-splits-over-brexit-referendum/

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22146 on: April 30, 2019, 03:53:36 pm »
Tom Watson: Labour deputy leader storms out of meeting in row over Brexit referendum stance

Tom Watson has walked out of a shadow cabinet meeting after Jeremy Corbyn refused to allow its members to see a draft policy on a fresh Brexit referendum.

Relations between the leader and his deputy plunged to a new low – hours before the party was due to decide Labour’s European elections manifesto at a marathon meeting.

Shadow cabinet members were only shown the document on a big screen, rather than being handed hard copies of the text, The Independent was told.

“The shadow cabinet were not going to see the draft, so what’s the point in being there,” said a source close to Mr Watson. “It was very disrespectful to the shadow cabinet.”

Mr Corbyn’s top team met ahead of a decisive meeting of the ruling national executive committee (NEC), at which he will attempt to fight off demands – led by Mr Watson – to commit to a second referendum in all circumstances.

The leader is determined to avoid alienating Labour Leave voters by sticking to a policy of a referendum to prevent a “Tory Brexit”, or a no-deal Brexit.

That would leave open the possibility of Labour helping to force through EU withdrawal if the Conservatives, in cross-party talks, concede a customs union and other Labour demands.

Mr Watson took to Twitter to deny a report that he had “stormed out” of the meeting, saying: “I politely asked if the shadow cabinet were going to see the draft words and was told “no”.

“So I left to walk to the NEC where the document will be available and the decision will be made.”

Mr Corbyn’s office is confident of resisting a shift to supporting a further referendum in all circumstances, enjoying the support of at least 22 of the 39 members of the NEC.

He can rely on the backing of the giant Unite union, despite other big unions – including the GMB, Unison and Usdaw – swinging behind another public vote.

A landmark agreement in February between Mr Corbyn and Keir Starmer, his shadow Brexit secretary, saw Labour agree that Ms May’s deal “should be subject to the lock of a public vote.

However, in evidence of the wedge being driven between the leader and his supporters, the director of Momentum called on him to “take a side”.

“Labour’s members already know which side they are on. The party should commit to bringing whatever Brexit deal is done back to the people,” Laura Parker said.

More than 20 Labour MEP candidates have defied their leadership by pledging to back a referendum and then campaign to remain in the EU.

And a letter from MPs and MEPs calling for a public vote on any Brexit deal has reached 118 signatories, meaning the majority of non-shadow cabinet MPs back it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tom-watson-brexit-second-referendum-labour-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-nec-meeting-a8892511.html

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22147 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:18 pm »

'Anti-Brexit' to Leavers, who also think the Tories are 'anti-Brexit', and confused message to Remainers?

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7goo4d7iug/YouGov%20-%20Party%20Brexit%20stance.pdf

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #22148 on: April 30, 2019, 04:27:21 pm »
Whats shocking the HOC just finished for the day at 4.19pm.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #22149 on: April 30, 2019, 04:28:37 pm »
Tom Watson: Labour deputy leader storms out of meeting in row over Brexit referendum stance

Tom Watson has walked out of a shadow cabinet meeting after Jeremy Corbyn refused to allow its members to see a draft policy on a fresh Brexit referendum.

Relations between the leader and his deputy plunged to a new low – hours before the party was due to decide Labour’s European elections manifesto at a marathon meeting.

Shadow cabinet members were only shown the document on a big screen, rather than being handed hard copies of the text, The Independent was told.

“The shadow cabinet were not going to see the draft, so what’s the point in being there,” said a source close to Mr Watson. “It was very disrespectful to the shadow cabinet.”

Mr Corbyn’s top team met ahead of a decisive meeting of the ruling national executive committee (NEC), at which he will attempt to fight off demands – led by Mr Watson – to commit to a second referendum in all circumstances.

The leader is determined to avoid alienating Labour Leave voters by sticking to a policy of a referendum to prevent a “Tory Brexit”, or a no-deal Brexit.

That would leave open the possibility of Labour helping to force through EU withdrawal if the Conservatives, in cross-party talks, concede a customs union and other Labour demands.

Mr Watson took to Twitter to deny a report that he had “stormed out” of the meeting, saying: “I politely asked if the shadow cabinet were going to see the draft words and was told “no”.

“So I left to walk to the NEC where the document will be available and the decision will be made.”

Mr Corbyn’s office is confident of resisting a shift to supporting a further referendum in all circumstances, enjoying the support of at least 22 of the 39 members of the NEC.

He can rely on the backing of the giant Unite union, despite other big unions – including the GMB, Unison and Usdaw – swinging behind another public vote.

A landmark agreement in February between Mr Corbyn and Keir Starmer, his shadow Brexit secretary, saw Labour agree that Ms May’s deal “should be subject to the lock of a public vote.

However, in evidence of the wedge being driven between the leader and his supporters, the director of Momentum called on him to “take a side”.

“Labour’s members already know which side they are on. The party should commit to bringing whatever Brexit deal is done back to the people,” Laura Parker said.

More than 20 Labour MEP candidates have defied their leadership by pledging to back a referendum and then campaign to remain in the EU.

And a letter from MPs and MEPs calling for a public vote on any Brexit deal has reached 118 signatories, meaning the majority of non-shadow cabinet MPs back it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tom-watson-brexit-second-referendum-labour-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-nec-meeting-a8892511.html

I guess he wasn't happy he didn't have anything to leak before the NEC meeting.

Time he was sacked.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22150 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:14 pm »
I guess he wasn't happy he didn't have anything to leak before the NEC meeting.

Time he was sacked.
As deputy leader of the party he has the democratic mandate to see this information. 

That he hasn’t seen it makes a mockery of the party’s democratic processes.

Sacked for what by the way???

He was elected democratically with a huge mandate from the members. Surely you respect that?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22151 on: April 30, 2019, 04:34:10 pm »

What a ridiculous headline!

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22152 on: April 30, 2019, 04:35:37 pm »
As deputy leader of the party he has the democratic mandate to see this information. 

That he hasn’t seen it makes a mockery of the party’s democratic processes.

He has seen it. You two are arguing about an inaccurate news story that's been denied by the man himself six hours ago.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22153 on: April 30, 2019, 04:39:29 pm »
JLR to build new Land Rover Defender in Slovakia

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) will build its next-generation Land Rover Defender 4x4 in Slovakia rather than the UK.

The Defender model was built at the firm's Solihull factory near Birmingham until 2016.

The firm says the new model has been designed and engineered in the UK and its new engines built in Wolverhampton.

JLR also says it plans "significant investment" at Solihull to support the production of its next generation of Range Rover and Land Rover models.

In January 2016, some 67 years of the 4x4 being made at Solihull came to an end.

More than two million were made in the West Midlands since the original Land Rover Series began production in Solihull in 1948.

The new Defender will be built at the company's £1bn plant in Nitra in Slovakia, which opened in October 2018.

The new model is expected to be unveiled later this year at the Frankfurt Motor Show and to go on sale early in 2020.

JLR says the 2020 Defender is now entering its final phase of testing.

James Attwood is deputy editor at Autocar magazine, and says there had been little prior expectation that the new vehicle would be built in the UK.

"Reading between the lines it always looked like it would be built in Slovakia, particularly after they [JLR] had invested such a large sum in their new plant there," he says.

"But it is still very much a British design. And, of the range of engines that are going to be built for the new vehicle, a number are going to be built in the UK."

He adds: "Jaguar and Land Rover already make a number of cars in other countries and they are still very much seen as British cars."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48103070

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #22154 on: April 30, 2019, 04:44:03 pm »
Breaking: clear-cut victory for Corbyn Brexit plan at NEC

In the last few moments Jeremy Corbyn’s victory at a meeting of Labour’s NEC (National Executive Committee) has been confirmed. Corbyn’s position on Brexit for the party’s European Parliament manifesto won easily, in spite of the unavoidable absence of a number of left NEC members.

The result is a humiliating defeat for deputy leader Tom Watson, who had tried to orchestrate pressure for a switch to support for another public vote.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/04/30/breaking-clear-cut-victory-for-corbyn-brexit-plan-at-nec/

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22155 on: April 30, 2019, 04:45:30 pm »
Breaking: clear-cut victory for Corbyn Brexit plan at NEC

In the last few moments Jeremy Corbyn’s victory at a meeting of Labour’s NEC (National Executive Committee) has been confirmed. Corbyn’s position on Brexit for the party’s European Parliament manifesto won easily, in spite of the unavoidable absence of a number of left NEC members.

The result is a humiliating defeat for deputy leader Tom Watson, who had tried to orchestrate pressure for a switch to support for another public vote.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/04/30/breaking-clear-cut-victory-for-corbyn-brexit-plan-at-nec/
Full on labour brexit then...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #22156 on: April 30, 2019, 04:47:25 pm »
Full on labour brexit then...

It hasn't been confirmed anywhere else yet.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22157 on: April 30, 2019, 04:47:45 pm »
Rawk is confused about Labour being a Brexit party. Or something. (It's confirmed by Peston, citing "a Labour source".)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22158 on: April 30, 2019, 04:49:54 pm »
Quick, Labour Remainers, revert to "Starmer will save us all" consolation mode!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22159 on: April 30, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »
Rawk is confused about Labour being a Brexit party. Or something. (It's confirmed by Peston, citing "a Labour source".)

:D
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway