Author Topic: District 9  (Read 18237 times)

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
Re: District 9
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 01:37:01 am »
Brilliant movie.  Great interview here:

http://www.movieretriever.com/blog/404/interview-with-sharlto-copley-star-of-district-9

(Don't worry- no spoilers.)

Two things absolutely floor me about Sharlto Copley, who plays the main human, Wikus Van der Merwe- 1. This is the first professional acting job and 2. He improvised all his lines:o 
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 12:44:11 pm »
He really is absolutely superb in it.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »
Love seeing good things written about this film - makes me even more 'proudly South African'  :D
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 09:28:14 pm »
Love seeing good things written about this film - makes me even more 'proudly South African'  :D

Yasus Bra!!!
:D

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #44 on: September 3, 2009, 11:30:51 am »
Cant wait, going tomorrow after I've seen Hurt Locker today... why with these movies I'm really spoiling myself

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #45 on: September 3, 2009, 12:42:20 pm »
im looking forward to this, heard loads of great things about it.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 3, 2009, 12:50:16 pm »
Have a decent copy of this, but will probably skip and head to the cinema over the weekend. Can't wait!

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #47 on: September 3, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »
Can't wait, how fucking sad is that? first time in ages I've felt like this about a film, maybe even as far back as T2 :D

I'm like a kid on Xmas eve.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 3, 2009, 08:21:12 pm »
Can't wait, how fucking sad is that? first time in ages I've felt like this about a film, maybe even as far back as T2 :D

I'm like a kid on Xmas eve.

I feel a bit like that too after seeing everyone on some American movie forum I frequent going apeshit over this
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #49 on: September 4, 2009, 12:23:34 am »
I thought it was highly entertaining but you have to be prepared to ignore big plot holes and the typical kind of flaws that even the best sci-fi films have.

8.5/10

Offline qwerty_in_advance

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 4, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »
link to watch online/download if anyones interested..

http://mrbrownee70.t35.com/fbase.php?url=http://filebase.to/files/794252/devise-district9_www.movieinfo.blog.com_.avi

Just watched it, its pretty decent not as good as i expected tho. still worth a watch.
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #51 on: September 4, 2009, 10:18:32 pm »

Caught the early evening show. I thought it was bloody good.

Ingenious premise to place it all in that context, the texture of it all is brilliant, the shanty town slum background.

Character driven, great acting especially the lead performance, very well directed, flawless and perfectly integrated special effects. I mean it really uses CGI perfectly, integrated into the scenes but not the central soul or point of the movie, or overwhelming everything else, the movie is driven by the story and performance and direction, has an emotional core as well.

One of the best science fiction movies I've seen in a while, puts virtually all Hollywood efforts of recent times to shame really.

Good entertainment, go and watch it on the big screen.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 4, 2009, 10:24:10 pm »

The dirty realism vibe is very original, third-world sci-fi, the dynamics of the tensions in South African society and how they relate to this movie, I don't think they are clear cut, but it powers the movie and gives it a real resonance.

Ahm not fookin' shooting that fookin' prawn.

^^^^ Best line in the movie that. All connoisseurs of the Seth Afrikan accent will dig this film alot.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #53 on: September 4, 2009, 10:57:10 pm »
Fuck me, can't you read? You're sounding like a Apple Fan Boi, creaming over a film that YOU know fuck all about and shitting on anyone who may not agree (although I have not said in one of my posts that I don't like the look of this film), let me guess a Peter Jackson fan Perhaps? Oh he's got his name on it. Quick! Get the tissues, he made LOTR you know.

Sorry if I'm not allowed to speculate that the film has a huge potential to be watered down tripe, I must be crazy thinking I can have an opinion and leave myself open to get barraged with your fucking patronising analogies. Plus what the fuck has South Africa got to do with it? It's just a fucking location. This film's story could be set anywhere, Jesus bring it to Northern Ireland sure, we're big on our racism/bigotry these days and we have enough of a history to reflect on these themes.

Let me recap my thoughts on what this film could potentially be, I've provided it in list form for you, perhaps it will be easier to follow. (Sorry if I sound patronising).

1. Great Science Fiction (I never used Sci-Fi in case it's too Cliche) movie with an original 'angle (Cliche?)' in it's genre.

2. A big pile of steaming shite a-la Independence day, a whole "Hi-five" and "yeah man we're great" storyline with a slight undercurrent of "we are the world, we are the people".

3. I hope it's good.

I have seen it and it's very good. It's set in South Africa because that's where the director and producer are from. It also couldn't be set anywhere - look up District 6 on Wiki and you'll understand that it's not "just a location". There's an intelligence about the film that sets it apart from standard Hollywood fare.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #54 on: September 4, 2009, 11:38:53 pm »
Saw it tonight. Fooking brilliant. Really bloody good film.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #55 on: September 5, 2009, 01:14:56 am »
There's an intelligence about the film that sets it apart from standard Hollywood fare.
Even more so when you consider how 'cheaply' it was made.

I have to say I was very sceptical before seeing it and even 10 minutes into the film I was having my doubts but it really won me over to the point where I will quite happily overlook any flaws.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 5, 2009, 01:50:36 am »
Went to watch this earlier in the day. Thought it was a decent film and certainly entertaining, but not a great film.

I really enjoyed the first part of the film (up to and just after the 'incident') and found that very engaging, gritty and original. I loved the docu style approach and the way the first scene in District 9 was shot, with the crew following Wikus. I would have loved more of this slower paced style of film, which is always more immersive and engaging, and more chance to see the transformation take place.

But then, it just started to get too fast paced and too 'hollywood'. The soundtrack and score ramped up with the style of music which, to me, always seems as if the film is trying to rush its way through. All the setup and slow deterioration gave way to a standard sci-fi shoot-em-up.

But overall, it is an entertaining watch. Every year needs a decent sci-fi film and so far this one is, by a mile, the best one this year. Wikus was brilliant and incredibly funny. The CGI was also brilliantly done as well. Bar a few moments, the scenes all looked incredibly realistic and they matched up well to their understated environment, which is quite an achievement considering the cost.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2009, 01:52:26 am by killer_heels »

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 5, 2009, 02:04:01 am »
I really enjoyed the first part of the film (up to and just after the 'incident') and found that very engaging, gritty and original. I loved the docu style approach and the way the first scene in District 9 was shot, with the crew following Wikus. I would have loved more of this slower paced style of film, which is always more immersive and engaging, and more chance to see the transformation take place.

The final act was 'Hollywood', but it earned that momentum because of all it had done before. The segueing of the docu hand-held footage with the more conventional framing later worked because of the drive of the story.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 5, 2009, 02:21:11 am »
Yeah and that could have been the directors intention anyway. This sort of film was always going to be a better way to show the world that other countries bar America can make these sci-fi, action films.

It was a good sci-fi action film, thats for sure. Just I felt that, if it had continued in vein that it had started and
Spoiler
upto the point where he is on the run and goes back into District 9
[close]
, then it could have been a great film.

Still good though.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 5, 2009, 02:32:08 am »
Yeah and that could have been the directors intention anyway. This sort of film was always going to be a better way to show the world that other countries bar America can make these sci-fi, action films.

It was a good sci-fi action film, thats for sure. Just I felt that, if it had continued in vein that it had started and
Spoiler
upto the point where he is on the run and goes back into District 9
[close]
, then it could have been a great film.

Still good though.

Spoiler
The thing is, its difficult to see how the movie could resolve itself in any way other than the violence and release and metamorphosis it ends in. The whole movie until then is like a coil being wound up to end in that final act of violence and escape. Had it just continued in the same vein, the same tone, I'm not saying it would be boring, but there wouldn't be as much at stake, especially for the character of Wikus, who is basically the audiences point of empathy in the movie.

Also, they had to have a situation in which Christopher could see the bodies of the aliens that humans had been dissecting and experimenting on, and you needed the ticking bomb conceit of Wikus racing against time as he transforms to inject momentum. So the action and violence brings all the strands of the movie together. I think it earned that final act well by the build up. It was definitely more intelligent and substantial than standard Hollywood sci-fi action fare, a better movie all around than almost anything else in its genre in a long time, and the CGI is seamless and artfully integrated. Hollywood directors should be marched into a room and told to watch and learn from it.
[close]

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 5, 2009, 07:19:57 am »
An R5 of this has leaked, available in all the normal places.

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 5, 2009, 07:44:32 am »
yup and i got it last nite, dvd quality, lookin forward to watchin this tonite.
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 5, 2009, 08:31:41 am »
yup and i got it last nite, dvd quality, lookin forward to watchin this tonite.

Same here bro
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #63 on: September 5, 2009, 09:07:21 am »
This has potential to be a very unique film. Hope it lives up to its promise.
Alien nation anybody ?
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #64 on: September 5, 2009, 11:16:29 am »
Saw it and thought it was excellent - great performence from the main guy... and do South Africans actually swear like that?
Sounded scouse at times to me.

Heard a girl whispering half way through to her fella "this is dire, come on lets go" to be told "you can if you want, but i'm fucking staying"

Ace

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 5, 2009, 12:13:51 pm »

Getting it now, and with only 5 seeders! Bastards....

Copy I got the other day was piss poor!

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #66 on: September 5, 2009, 04:03:52 pm »
very average.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #67 on: September 5, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »
Watched it yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has that bits of Hollywood flash to it but it's to be expected. For Sharlto Copley in his first acting role and improvised most of his dialog in documentary scenes.

One of the best Sci-fi movies for me - character development was great, story was good even the cg was good (not too over pronounced) and didn't distract from the story.

red_makr1980 there's a lot of south africans that do speak like that - mostly Afrikaans speaking South Africans.

Really proud of the way the movie turned out.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #68 on: September 5, 2009, 05:50:04 pm »
link to watch online/download if anyones interested..

http://mrbrownee70.t35.com/fbase.php?url=http://filebase.to/files/794252/devise-district9_www.movieinfo.blog.com_.avi

Just watched it, its pretty decent not as good as i expected tho. still worth a watch.

Cheers for that link, really good picture and sound on that. Hugely enjoyable watch.
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline skidz73

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #69 on: September 5, 2009, 05:51:36 pm »
Getting it now, and with only 5 seeders! Bastards....

Copy I got the other day was piss poor!

Would be simpler to watch that link above and save it with DivX webplayer.
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 5, 2009, 07:13:45 pm »
Cheers for that link, really good picture and sound on that. Hugely enjoyable watch.

No worries fella, i find it alot easier and faster than using torrents.
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline skidz73

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #71 on: September 5, 2009, 07:21:32 pm »
No worries fella, i find it alot easier and faster than using torrents.

Thanks again. By the way, is there anyway to find other films on their to watch?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 5, 2009, 07:29:22 pm »
Thanks again. By the way, is there anyway to find other films on their to watch?

I use this website http://www.movieplex.org/

Its free to register and it gives links to new and old films i find the DiVX ones the best cos you can usually download them as well or watch online and right click then save it to your comp.

Hope you find it as useful as i do

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 5, 2009, 08:04:02 pm »
Just been to see this wasnt expecting much but was a class film!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #74 on: September 6, 2009, 04:10:27 pm »
Been nagging her all weekend trying to get her to go see it, no joy. Going to wait til my mates are back from Ibiza and go see it then. Think it looks absolutely class, the aliens seem very "predator" like from what i've seen on the trailers
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 6, 2009, 04:38:33 pm »
Trying to blag my bird into watching it tonight.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline USgooner

• Liverpool Red.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 6, 2009, 04:52:52 pm »
Best film I've seen this year.

Offline bigz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #77 on: September 6, 2009, 05:19:25 pm »
Cracking film.
It's like pirates and natural disasters in the I'm sorry I seem to have lost the ability to think for myself religion.

Finn Solomon 5/6/2007 07:28:29 PM

Offline skibaboo

• Baljeev's mate, and a good egg.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us dream, or at least stop the nightmares..
    • Anxiety Central
« Reply #78 on: September 6, 2009, 05:23:05 pm »
Hubby and I watched this last night. Didn't really know a right lot about it myself beforehand and 5 mins or so in I was thinking what the fuck is this???? By the end I absolutely loved it and can't stop thinking about it.

I used to really like V and Alien Nation and it reminded me of the latter a bit. I've heard a rumour of a sequel? if it's true..........bring it on!
bj. coutinho will be labelled the greatest liverpool player of all time once he hangs up his boots
u can quote that, put it in ur sig

bj. and if he aint, ill eat my own penis
http://www.anxiety-central.com/

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #79 on: September 6, 2009, 05:45:08 pm »
I have seen it and it's very good. It's set in South Africa because that's where the director and producer are from. It also couldn't be set anywhere - look up District 6 on Wiki and you'll understand that it's not "just a location". There's an intelligence about the film that sets it apart from standard Hollywood fare.

Thanks for that Alan and also to coolbyrne for the Wikus tidbit.  Really impressed by this film, it's about time people started doing intelligent science fiction that doesn't conform to Hollywood blockbuster standards.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.