Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290895 times)

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #82160 on: May 11, 2015, 09:32:34 am »
Ian Doyle's Echo article has got me thinking. Did Sterling, Ibe, Sinclair and Ojo not get recruited under the McParland regime? Did Wilson, Kent, Brannagan not also develop under that regime? I know it's water under the bridge, but looking at it from today's standpoint as many of them are knocking on the door of the first team squad, or are already in, strange why we decided to ditch McParland back in 2012.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82161 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:03 am »
Pretty incredible that at the end of the match against Chelsea we had a front three who were all English and had an average age of 19. Hoovered up from other clubs at 14/15 but nonetheless an impressive achievement for our academy. Burnley were probably the only side in the division that fielded a more cheaply assembled front line this weekend.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #82162 on: May 11, 2015, 09:59:51 am »
Pretty incredible that at the end of the match against Chelsea we had a front three who were all English and had an average age of 19. Hoovered up from other clubs at 14/15 but nonetheless an impressive achievement for our academy. Burnley were probably the only side in the division that fielded a more cheaply assembled front line this weekend.

Yes, it's brilliant that we've got these Academy lads coming through. However, and this is straying away from the topic of this thread a little bit, but I wonder, isn't it now harming us in the transfer market, the fact that every footballer in Europe now knows that we have a "philosophy" based on value, youth and affordability, rather than just buying good players?

Take Depay for instance, he probably looked at us and thought, ah, Liverpool - they only want me cos I'm young and don't want too much in wages. Whereas United, he would have thought - wow, Man United, the team that buys top players like Falcao and Di Maria, they actually want ME!

Edit: Even if United end up paying the same wages, it's the perception of potential targets I'm talking about.
And yes, I know there's lots of other reasons Depay might have chosen United!

I think we have to reconsider the image of frugality and cleverdickness that we're giving out - it's not very attractive to potential (really good) signings.

Edit: So, instead of agents and players all over Europe seeing us as "Liverpool, the club that relentlessly seeks out value for money in the transfer market", surely, "Liverpool, a club which always looks for top, top quality footballers, and will pay what it takes, within its means, to get them" is a more attractive proposition? In fact what we are prepared to pay might not change, but it's the emphasis which could be putting some off, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:16:49 am by pumblechookian »
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82163 on: May 11, 2015, 10:02:02 am »
Ian Doyle's Echo article has got me thinking. Did Sterling, Ibe, Sinclair and Ojo not get recruited under the McParland regime? Did Wilson, Kent, Brannagan not also develop under that regime? I know it's water under the bridge, but looking at it from today's standpoint as many of them are knocking on the door of the first team squad, or are already in, strange why we decided to ditch McParland back in 2012.

It's not just about finding and recruiting these players though, it's about getting them to the level required that they can make the step up to the first team. I think the latter was a huge part of the reason to look to make changes.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82164 on: May 11, 2015, 11:07:57 am »

The short answer is no.

The long answer is also no. Neglecting academy development would only weaken our club. Not having a philosophy around youth wouldn't magically change our wage structure, increase the transfer budget or turn us into perennial Champions League qualifiers to make us more attractive to "big" players. Every club (with the exception of pre FFP Man City/Chelsea) has to take into account value and affordability in their transfer dealings. We are not in a position to pay whatever it takes to get a player, neither are Man United even though they have a bigger budget than us. Initially ppearing frugal or wealthy to a potential signing or not is irrelevant, stuffing socks in your boxers doesn't make your dick bigger, concrete numbers make perceptions fade away and the wage in any offered contract will still be the same at the end of it.

Perhaps Depay looked at Man United and saw that Di Maria and Falcao are both bench warmers who are watching while their careers go backwards or how Wilf Zaha got brought in on a big money deal then fucked off out the door 18 months later without ever being given opportunity and then he might look at what we have done for the careers of young players similar to himself like Coutinho/Ibe/Sterling and thought "that is the club with a clear plan for progress which can develop and nurture someone like me, the other throws money around without having a clear plan and often damages careers in the process". Before joining Man United anyway because we never even offered him a ruddy contract and they did.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:10:16 am by Aceldama »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82165 on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:26 am »

Brannagan/Wilson/Kent/Rossiter have developed under about 4 or 5 different 'regimes' in their time here. Most of them have already been out system about 10 years now.

They'll have caught the tail end of Highway, then Borrell/Segura, then McParland at the helm now Inglethorpe.

You can't attribute their emergence with any one of those set ups.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #82166 on: May 11, 2015, 12:52:32 pm »
Brannagan/Wilson/Kent/Rossiter have developed under about 4 or 5 different 'regimes' in their time here. Most of them have already been out system about 10 years now.

They'll have caught the tail end of Highway, then Borrell/Segura, then McParland at the helm now Inglethorpe.

You can't attribute their emergence with any one of those set ups.

And Piet Hamburg.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82167 on: May 11, 2015, 01:43:40 pm »
Re: Chirivella, I think he's one of those players who'll look better with better players around him. At times you see him on the ball turning looking for a run that isn't being made. I think he'll start to control games a bit more once he can handle himself better physically too. 3 great DMs now in Rossiter, Williams and Pedro though.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82168 on: May 11, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »
Re: Chirivella, I think he's one of those players who'll look better with better players around him. At times you see him on the ball turning looking for a run that isn't being made. I think he'll start to control games a bit more once he can handle himself better physically too. 3 great DMs now in Rossiter, Williams and Pedro though.

And these three all seems a bit different in terms of style of play, etc. Which is all very good IMO, they have all good chances of making it here I would guess, with Rossiter possibly the one who is most likely to make the grade.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #82169 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:04 pm »
Read a good article over the weekend about Karl Robinson and Milton Keynes. Said how well he's doing improving young players and playing an attractive style of football. It stated how Chelsea and Arsenal are literally phoning them up offering them players on loan after the improvement they saw in the likes of Bamford and Afobe who have been the best forwards in the Championship this season in their next loan spell. Also the development of Delle Ali.

We should open up a dialogue with MK. Maybe let Ojo back there on a season loan. Beats phoning up Malky Mackay to play route one football on a cabbage of a pitch.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82170 on: May 11, 2015, 05:26:45 pm »
Read a good article over the weekend about Karl Robinson and Milton Keynes. Said how well he's doing improving young players and playing an attractive style of football. It stated how Chelsea and Arsenal are literally phoning them up offering them players on loan after the improvement they saw in the likes of Bamford and Afobe who have been the best forwards in the Championship this season in their next loan spell. Also the development of Delle Ali.

We should open up a dialogue with MK. Maybe let Ojo back there on a season loan. Beats phoning up Malky Mackay to play route one football on a cabbage of a pitch.

I would definitely agree with that. I'm sure Ojo would too. They could be a good club for some of our youngsters.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #82171 on: May 11, 2015, 05:32:58 pm »
With the amount of talent in the reserves i hope we give them a chance in the league cup next season.
Seen us win everything

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82172 on: May 11, 2015, 05:38:02 pm »
With the amount of talent in the reserves i hope we give them a chance in the league cup next season.

I like the idea of using one or two for these games amongst a decently strong first team in both the Europa earlier rounds and the league cup. We did it with Rossiter and I'd like to see it with a few others too.

Offline Burkey79

• Main Stander
« Reply #82173 on: May 11, 2015, 06:01:02 pm »
What's happened to jack dunn.. Is he playing tonight

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #82174 on: May 11, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »
somebody doesnt seem happy

brad smith ‏@bradsmith_94 13m13 minutes ago

Zero respect

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #82175 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:34 pm »
Any streams for the game?
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #82176 on: May 11, 2015, 06:20:59 pm »
What's happened to jack dunn.. Is he playing tonight
He suffered a severe injury a month ago i believe.
Seen us win everything

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82177 on: May 11, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »
Confirmed #LFC U21s team v Norwich: Ward, Randall, Maguire, Williams, Cleary, Stewart, Wilson, Brannagan, Yesil, Ojo, Kent.

Confirmed #LFC U21s subs v Norwich: Trickett-Smith, Vigouroux, Canos, O'Hanlon, Hart.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82178 on: May 11, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »
Sinclair to get his chance next week?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82179 on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »

It may well be possible. Brendan may well be planning to use him in the final two games in some capacity. Would love if he could get a goal some how.

Offline keswick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82180 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:24 pm »
No Links?

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #82181 on: May 11, 2015, 06:46:38 pm »
its on lfc.tv

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82182 on: May 11, 2015, 07:16:55 pm »
Had a good start here. Ojo looking dangerous.

Think Kev Stewart has been very impressive this season. With the whole talk of our defensive mids, he's definitely one you can't discount either.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82183 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:28 pm »
Norwich miss a sitter.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82184 on: May 11, 2015, 07:21:55 pm »
1-0! Williams! Assisted by Cleary with a lovely flick-on. :)

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #82185 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:09 pm »
yay jordan williams at the back post

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82186 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »
Lovely :)

Offline bagpuss

• Recipient of the amorous affections bestowed by the lovely but excessively hairy Emily
  • Kopite
« Reply #82187 on: May 11, 2015, 07:23:43 pm »
somebody doesnt seem happy

brad smith ‏@bradsmith_94 13m13 minutes ago

Zero respect

No prizes for working out who that's aimed at.

Offline TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #82188 on: May 11, 2015, 07:25:15 pm »
Call me stupid but who?  ???
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline bagpuss

• Recipient of the amorous affections bestowed by the lovely but excessively hairy Emily
  • Kopite
« Reply #82189 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:35 pm »
Call me stupid but who?  ???

Is he in the squad today ? or the last game ? or the game before that ?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #82190 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:51 pm »
Kent is on a roll.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82191 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:52 pm »
2-0! Kent! Another great move! Beautiful pass from Wilson.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82192 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:58 pm »
Fucking hell, Wilson & Kent combining beautifully for that goal.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #82193 on: May 11, 2015, 07:29:25 pm »
lovely from wilson delightful finish from kent

Offline bagpuss

• Kopite
« Reply #82194 on: May 11, 2015, 07:29:43 pm »
lovely link up there

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82195 on: May 11, 2015, 07:30:17 pm »

Can we just play those three attacking mids in the next game? They're a joy to watch!

Infact, this midfield 5 we're playing today are all very, very good.

Offline bagpuss

• Kopite
« Reply #82196 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »
Where's big LLoyd ?

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82197 on: May 11, 2015, 07:34:21 pm »

Given he played ~25 minutes against Chelsea yesterday I think it was always going to be unlikely that he would be involved today. I can see him being up with the first team for the rest of the season, get him some experience and give Balotelli/Borini a hint  :wave

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82198 on: May 11, 2015, 07:35:18 pm »
Is he in the squad today ? or the last game ? or the game before that ?

So Michael Beale or someone above Michael Beale telling him not to play the lad running down his contract?

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82199 on: May 11, 2015, 07:36:11 pm »
Given he played ~25 minutes against Chelsea yesterday I think it was always going to be unlikely that he would be involved today. I can see him being up with the first team for the rest of the season, get him some experience and give Balotelli/Borini a hint  :wave

It wouldn't really make sense if he was given a chance vs Chelsea ahead of Balo and Borini, while we technically still had something to play for, and then not the last 2 little to play for games.