Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 314472 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #2720 on: June 5, 2019, 07:34:48 pm »
I've got a idea for after the Copa/ACoN draft. Needs a bit of collab to refine the rules - not sure about all of these.

The power of 6 (Shopping List) Draft -

Let's talk about 6 ba-by.

[1] A player who played in one of Liverpool's 6 European Cup/Champions League final wins.

[2] A player who wore the number 6 at either a World Cup or the European Championships.

[3] A player who was born in a year ending in a 6 (i.e. 1986, 1976, 1966 etc)

[4] A player who has 6 letters in their surname.

[5] A retired player who has either 6 or less caps or 6 or less goals at international level.

[6] A player who played for 6 different football clubs.

[7] A player who finished sixth in the Ballon d'Or.

[8] A player who was born on the 6th of any month (i.e. Jan 6th, Feb 6th, March 6th etc).

[9] A player who wore the number 6 in any European Cup/Champions League Final

[10] A player who has six fingers (played for a Manchester club for at least 6 years)

[11] A player who has scored a total of 6 goals at the World Cup or European Championships (not just at a single tournament) OR a player who has scored 6 goals in a single European Cup/Champions League season.

OMG!!!!  I am so in....  How about one category for the #6's of the AFCON or COPA tourney each (current players only) --- only a suggestion, cause I love both draft ideas.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2019, 08:35:41 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2721 on: June 5, 2019, 09:27:06 pm »
Don't mind, up for any sort of draft. We've got two months before the proper football starts up again!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2722 on: June 5, 2019, 11:29:45 pm »
Don't mind, up for any sort of draft. We've got two months before the proper football starts up again!

Excited about your draft as well Hazell...  Need to learn more about the countries and teams involved. 

Its just that BB had a list I could start working on right away -- and got a bit jocular..
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #2723 on: June 6, 2019, 09:56:15 am »
So which we going with? Maybe go with the power of 6 one first as its fresh and there is still a few weeks before other competitions take off?

Although these do take a few weeks to run and the feeling of being 6 times champions isn't going away anytime soon.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2724 on: June 6, 2019, 11:08:11 am »
Sorry, didn't mean to derail Hazell's draft. Just wanted to put the idea out there while there were people reading the thread!

Let's talk more about the Copa/ACoN draft. Rules so far -

- Maximum of 5 players per continent (i.e. 5/6 x South Americans & 5/6 x African players).

- No more than one player per country, 11 from 11.

Anything else?

Modern players vs all time? The reason I'd be against modern players only is that Messi is the only GOAT available and pretty much dwarfs all the other picks. I'd love for it to be based an actual Copa/ACoN form, but that seems highly unlikely.

Could have a rule about having at least 2 players (one from each tournament) from this years Copa/ACoN though.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2725 on: June 6, 2019, 11:20:19 am »
Sorry, didn't mean to derail Hazell's draft. Just wanted to put the idea out there while there were people reading the thread!

- Maximum of 5 players per continent (i.e. 5/6 x South Americans & 5/6 x African players).

Anything else?

Modern players vs all time? The reason I'd be against modern players only is that Messi is the only GOAT available and pretty much dwarfs all the other picks. I'd love for it to be based an actual Copa/ACoN form, but that seems highly unlikely.

Could have a rule about having at least 2 players (one from each tournament) from this years Copa/ACoN though.

Assuming you mean minimum of 5 per continent as otherwise you can't get to 11. But agreed thats a good rule.

Also like the 1 player per country.

I'd prefer more emphasis on this years tournaments so I like the minimum of 2 from each tournament this year.

I get where you're coming from with Messi, but there are many world class players to pick from and so Messi doesn't guarantee a win (as Barca found out in the semis hahaha).

My issue with the all time is you start to get Pele, Maradona etc. picks too, and it becomes to look more like other drafts whereas a current draft is pretty open to a lot of new players being drafted.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2726 on: June 6, 2019, 11:47:26 am »
I think the issue with having it this year only is that with the one-per-country rule you end up with teams that are potentially half filled with Championship-level players. Having said that, when's the last time we had a 'best players in the world right now' draft?

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2727 on: June 6, 2019, 11:47:57 am »
My issue with the all time is you start to get Pele, Maradona etc. picks too, and it becomes to look more like other drafts whereas a current draft is pretty open to a lot of new players being drafted.

I do agree with this. It is a bit dull seeing the likes of Diego and Pele drafted over and over again. One solution would be to do a first round of banned picks. So each of us nominates a player who we don't want to see drafted. Depending on how many join the draft, that would see a about 12-16 obvious picks removed. Could possibly apply that to South Americans only as that might be a bit harsh on Africa, since historically they have far less GOATs.

Example banned players - Pele, Maradona, Messi, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zico, Passarella, R. Carlos, Cafu, Suarez, Romario, Socrates, Kleberson etc
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 11:49:33 am by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2728 on: June 6, 2019, 11:53:23 am »
I think the issue with having it this year only is that with the one-per-country rule you end up with teams that are potentially half filled with Championship-level players. Having said that, when's the last time we had a 'best players in the world right now' draft?

Agree with this. Maybe if we go current players we could expand it to 2 or 3 players per country?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2729 on: June 6, 2019, 11:55:10 am »

I do like the idea of doing a modern players draft in general. But I think Messi is just too good in a pool this limited. The only remotely comparable picks would be Salah and Suarez. Even Neymar isn't available. Whoever picks last is totally screwed.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2730 on: June 6, 2019, 12:03:03 pm »
I just don’t believe whoever drafts Messi is going to win unless they put together the best team. That’s what the snake draft format is for.

As I say though, happy to do an all time or a modern, whichever people prefer. Still both are different without European players.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 12:58:00 pm by mikey_LFC »

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2731 on: June 6, 2019, 01:27:51 pm »
Happy to be proven wrong on the modern version. Whatever most people prefer should be the one we do.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2732 on: June 6, 2019, 01:56:39 pm »
Already started homework on both.  Let's flesh it out.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2733 on: June 6, 2019, 02:24:18 pm »
We could also limit the time period. Say 1994-Present Day. That way there can be no Maradona, Pele, Garrincha & co. Still a lot of greats, but helps make sure a few different players get picked.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2734 on: June 6, 2019, 02:42:29 pm »
We could also limit the time period. Say 1994-Present Day. That way there can be no Maradona, Pele, Garrincha & co. Still a lot of greats, but helps make sure a few different players get picked.

Done some research, a modern day draft would have some absolute dogs in defence and midfield for the last few rounds, which is no fun for anyone. Lets just do an all time and keep it easy. How about we split the draft in half, so first 5 rounds are African Cup of Nations and last 6 are Copa America? Or we just go for an easy 11 round draft with 1 per country and at least 5 per tournament as suggested?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2735 on: June 6, 2019, 03:58:53 pm »
Count me in for whatever draft. As long as its Football or Cricket related.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2736 on: June 6, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
Count me in for whatever draft.  As long as it's football and not cricket.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2737 on: June 6, 2019, 07:01:34 pm »
Done some research, a modern day draft would have some absolute dogs in defence and midfield for the last few rounds, which is no fun for anyone. Lets just do an all time and keep it easy. How about we split the draft in half, so first 5 rounds are African Cup of Nations and last 6 are Copa America? Or we just go for an easy 11 round draft with 1 per country and at least 5 per tournament as suggested?

Anything else?

I see the point about Pele, Maradona, Messi et al being picked but limiting it to per country and minimum 5 per tournament will avoid teams being filled with Brazilian/Argentine players and will widen the players being picked. Or alternatively have no Brazilian/Argentine players allowed :P

I'm happy with:

Who's in:
Hazell
Trend
Betty
mikey_LFC
Sheer Magentism
tubby
Max_powers
Eel_Lobo
Lastrador
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 10:57:19 pm by Foregone Concussion »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2738 on: June 6, 2019, 07:09:25 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #2739 on: June 6, 2019, 10:12:49 pm »
I’ll have a go, being South American and all.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: June 6, 2019, 10:45:28 pm »
Is it all South American’s or is it all people to play in the Copa America? They mainly overlap but some greats didn’t play and sometimes guest countries from outside play like Japan and Qatar this year?

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2741 on: June 6, 2019, 10:58:02 pm »
Is it all South American’s or is it all people to play in the Copa America? They mainly overlap but some greats didn’t play and sometimes guest countries from outside play like Japan and Qatar this year?

It's just players to have played in the Copa America. Couldn't bear to leave out all those legendary Qatari players.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2742 on: June 6, 2019, 11:06:41 pm »

Its just that BB had a list I could start working on right away -- and got a bit jocular..

No Scots.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2743 on: June 7, 2019, 01:37:48 am »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2744 on: June 7, 2019, 06:47:43 am »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2745 on: June 7, 2019, 07:59:23 am »
It's just players to have played in the Copa America. Couldn't bear to leave out all those legendary Qatari players.

Thank God, didn’t want to have to start my research over.

Think I’m right in saying there have been some fairly decent Mexican sides over the years to play and some fairly high profile absentees.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2746 on: June 7, 2019, 11:18:08 am »

You'll never be out, El Lobo. In 1000 years when the earth is a wasteland and RAWK is now only occupied by reanimated former posters, we'll all be in here on page 4000 trying to come up with a new draft idea.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2747 on: June 7, 2019, 02:29:35 pm »
Eel Lobo is a RAWK classic. 

I had no idea a few years ago, but in going back and reading his post-game retorts to reactionaries on the site is one of my favorite ways to decompress. 

He's a made man!

Btw... when is this new draft scheduled? 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2748 on: June 7, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »
Whenever we get enough people. Wanted to start this weekend, looks unlikely though.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2749 on: June 7, 2019, 02:53:39 pm »
Whenever we get enough people. Wanted to start this weekend, looks unlikely though.

Weekend start would be great.

Might be worth migrating to a new thread. Then we can PM a few regulars and direct them straight to the idea. We've got 9 already, so not too far off.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2750 on: June 7, 2019, 03:21:55 pm »
Weekend start would be great.

Might be worth migrating to a new thread. Then we can PM a few regulars and direct them straight to the idea. We've got 9 already, so not too far off.

Will do. In a meeting right now so great time to think about my first pick.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2751 on: June 7, 2019, 04:02:39 pm »
Will players be Judged on their performances at Copa Americas/ACN or in general? I know lot of high profile players like Messi and Maradonna never set the world alight at these competitions.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2752 on: June 7, 2019, 04:24:42 pm »
Will players be Judged on their performances at Copa Americas/ACN or in general? I know lot of high profile players like Messi and Maradonna never set the world alight at these competitions.

Like Betty was saying, these things are never voted on in thr competition only so I'd say all time but happy to hear if people want the alternative.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2753 on: June 7, 2019, 04:43:55 pm »
Like Betty was saying, these things are never voted on in thr competition only so I'd say all time but happy to hear if people want the alternative.

Agree with that. Only fair to judge on all time unless it’s a club or league specific one I’d say like the Liverpool and Serie A drafts we’ve had were fine.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2754 on: June 7, 2019, 07:08:41 pm »
So can someone send me the rules so I can begin research please?

AFCON & Copa America -- restrictions?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2755 on: June 7, 2019, 07:24:24 pm »
So can someone send me the rules so I can begin research please?

AFCON & Copa America -- restrictions?

Now updated the thread to show the following:

- This is an all-time draft so any AFCON/Copa America tournament can be chosen from

Happy to get this started ASAP depending on numbers.

Sorry been a bit in and out today.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2019, 07:27:00 pm by Foregone Concussion »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2756 on: August 5, 2019, 03:04:26 pm »
What's on the horizon fools?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2757 on: August 5, 2019, 04:35:00 pm »

Blue Betty has a Talk About Six Baby Draft - but not sure if he is going to open up this present to the masses.

Such a tease.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2758 on: August 5, 2019, 04:52:58 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G4OTRRmyTAA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G4OTRRmyTAA</a>

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2759 on: August 5, 2019, 05:41:01 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G4OTRRmyTAA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G4OTRRmyTAA</a>

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: