Author Topic: Greyhound Pub in Knotty Ash  (Read 6153 times)

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
Greyhound Pub in Knotty Ash
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:15:16 am »
I heard someone say this is becoming a Subway. Does anyone know if thats true?

It seems a bit of a big building for just that.

Edit: Found this link. 3 units.

http://www.propertypilot.co.uk/pdf/149+4123.pdf
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:27:49 am by sonny crockett »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Greyhound Pub in Knotty Ash
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:49 am »
The only way to go for some old boozers now , far too big for the lack of demand ...turning one unit into a bar may serve some local needs . On croxteth park where I live the stand farm has shut and reopened a few times and is currently closed . No one is going to take it on as it's too big but splitting it up into separate entities for different businesses may get some improved facilities for locals

Offline timbucktoo

• Dreams of a threesome with Oprah Winfrey or Whoopie Goldberg
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:04:13 pm »
 its a daft place to open a subway, by that roundabout.

Offline sonny crockett

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2017, 12:43:49 pm »
Pizza Hut opened a few weeks ago after a car went through the windows.

When I went passed at the weekend it looked like the Subway is ready to open any day now.

The centre unit of the old pud doesn't have any signage up yet. No idea what that will be.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2017, 11:36:47 am »
Saw it undergoing refurb and assumed it would be flats. Can't imagine many students trekking to Dovey though....

Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2017, 12:10:51 pm »
always a shame to see a big arle boozer like that go to the wall...........drove past The Clarence on Utting Avenue the other day for the first time in a long time....shocked to see it in such a state of disrepair....had some good post-match sessions in there over the years
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2017, 12:06:21 am »
always a shame to see a big arle boozer like that go to the wall...........drove past The Clarence on Utting Avenue the other day for the first time in a long time....shocked to see it in such a state of disrepair....had some good post-match sessions in there over the years
Can't disagree with any of that  :(

On a side note... The Clash
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline sonny crockett

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2017, 12:32:26 pm »
The pub use to be massive. I walked the dog past and had a look in. It's a huge space whatever opens up in the middle.

My money is on a Costa but you do wonder who's going to turn off at that roundabout to sit in there.

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:40 pm »
The pub use to be massive. I walked the dog past and had a look in. It's a huge space whatever opens up in the middle.

My money is on a Costa but you do wonder who's going to turn off at that roundabout to sit in there.
Takeaway either side pub be perfect.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:51 pm »
Takeaway either side pub be perfect.
Pizza - pub - bookies.

Offline sonny crockett

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:46 pm »
I heard some more gossip from my sources. It's likely to be a Greggs.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 01:21:26 am »
I heard some more gossip from my sources. It's likely to be a Greggs.

With a doorway?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 01:43:01 pm »
For those of you that don't know, back in 2011-2013 I photographed the best part of 1000 of Liverpool's pubs across the city (page 2 and 3 of this thread is a few snippets).

Here's a few memories for you lads and lasses.

Offline sonny crockett

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 06:09:52 pm »
Good pictures. It's funny when on Google Maps moving one metre lets you jump in time.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 11:09:03 pm »
For those of you that don't know, back in 2011-2013 I photographed the best part of 1000 of Liverpool's pubs across the city (page 2 and 3 of this thread is a few snippets).

Here's a few memories for you lads and lasses.
Ritchie the way pubs are closing your work has taken on historical importance after only a few years. Well done for getting out there and documenting something we took for granted growing up
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 11:26:53 pm »
Ritchie the way pubs are closing your work has taken on historical importance after only a few years. ...

Absolutely. I really think Richie should perhaps stick his pictures up on Yo!
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 1, 2017, 08:23:04 am »
Don't know about the logistics and whether it's worth it financially but maybe a book or are they too old fashioned now 😃

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 1, 2017, 12:57:03 pm »
I'll put them out there somewhere. at some point.

I quite like the idea of a book*, but I'd also like the idea of putting all of the photo's out there, not just the frontages, which, logistically, is a tall order.

(* I've got many a Liverpool pub book myself, including the full set of, A pub on every corner etc.)

I've recently gone through the pub files, and I reckon I photographed about 850+ pubs. A bit down on the original estimate of 1000. Although I probably missed out on about 50+ for various reasons. (mainly not getting filled in, when you rock up to a pub full of 'characters' and start asking to take photo's.  ;)  )
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been asked if I was DSS or plod. especially at some of the more 'interesting' establishments.  :D

Of those 850, I recon I got permission to photograph the insides of maybe 650-700.   So the archive is quite extensive, rolling out at somewhere in the region of 13,000 actual photo's

850 of just the frontages, is more than one book in itself. even adding 1 or 2 interior shots, doubles that, yet as the original project was to document the pubs, both the architectural features, the general layout, and the character of the establishments involved, to actually show the character of any individual pub, and do it justice, you'd probably have to show anywhere from 4 - 10 photo's per establishment. Minimum.

So you can see. Putting them out there at some point, is a must. It's far too good a social archive not to.  How I go about that over the next few years ( or the next decade), I don't know.

I mean. in some pubs, I've got group pictures of some of the regulars. Group pics of groups of fella's in their 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, who've drank in that pub for decades.
Moving on 5, 10, 15 years, there'll be quite a few of those fella's who are now no longer with us, which, for their families, would be an almost irreplaceable snapshot of their loved ones.  Again though, there's also the problem of privacy.  A lot of people in the photo's are hiding their faces, as many people don't like to be photographed. Especially by a stranger, who's just rocked up.   So it's a bit of a balancing act, so to speak, how and when you put those photo's out there.

Yes. The project was to create, and leave behind an archive of the social history of Liverpool's pubs. A snapshot in time as it were.  Yes, I'd like as many people to see them as possible. How I go about that is open for debate.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2017, 01:05:17 pm by Bigly Red Richie »

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 3, 2017, 01:59:20 pm »
Ritchie, I think that any one who wants to make some cash with them would probably say sit on them a few years then build interest by releasing low quality copies keeping control over the originals. If you want as many people to see them as possible stick them out as a job lot on some of the  social media sites but in some way that may devalue them and you'll have no contol over the body of work.

If they were mine I'd probably go for something in the middle, leave it a few years and put them out on your own website and get wide exposure and the possibility of monerterising the selling of high quality prints or maybe a book if that's what you want, but at the least you have some control over the context and how they are presented which maybe just as important as making a few bob for what is obviously a labour of love.

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: July 3, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »
used to live just round the corner in The Greenway - I was only 12months old at the time but we moved after both my sister and dad saw a ghost in one of the bedrooms - I dont believe in that kinda stuff untill Ive seen proof, but they were both adamant about it